• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

Pre-Release Pokémon Scarlet and Violet — Pre-release Discussion Thread (UPDATE: new trailer, see threadmarks)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Don't really care for either Bellibolt (looks creepy) or Iono (hyperactive streamers aren't really my thing) tbh. But ah well, they can't all be winners.

I just want, ONE day, to get at least ONE frog/toad mon that stands on all four
The closest we have is the Bulba Family, which I guess counts, but so few even sees them as frogs

I'm getting more and more excited for this! I won't get to play until Christmas because me and my brother have a tradition of buying each other the game for Christmas and then playing together over the break. Luckily I have Persona 5 coming on Friday to tide me over until then.

Until then I'll be looking forward to Fami's impressions.

I wonder if there are any major features left to reveal.

outside of big features, I really really hope they take proper advantage of the open world. Legends Arceus would be nowhere near as good if the game didn't encourage exploration as well as it did. but that was through it's central mechanic (catching), which isn't the case for SV.

Currently SWSH is the best selling Pokémon entry after the first games. It seems SV is about to beat SWSH, it actually has a shot to become best selling Pokémon game ever.

Yeah, this was on my mind earlier too. I think it might actually have a shot, something I used to think we would not see for a long time.

what will help its chances is if the game is properly meaty in regards to multiplayer. cooperative play beyond raids will do a lot of help the game's legs

I'd be surprised if SV beats SwSh. DP and XY outsold their successors by sticking around for most of the hardware lifecycle, SwSh is in the same position. BW also broke preorder records in Japan, didn't pan out

I'd be surprised if SV beats SwSh. DP and XY outsold their successors by sticking around for most of the hardware lifecycle, SwSh is in the same position. BW also broke preorder records in Japan, didn't pan out
BW came out in a time DS piracy was rampant. Never was expected to outsell DP.

Piracy no longer relevant on Switch, as it was on DS, evident with recent sales of Pokémon titles.

don't forget DLC
the DLC for SS was very good, though I don't know if that's just because it solved a lot of problems I had with the base game. with those DLC packs, Legends, and base SV under their belt, I'm really curious what they'll do as far as design goes

A month out, this is really coming fast. Should get previews fairly soon, I'd think, the ones for Sw/Sh dropped around a month before when they came out. Plus probably a final trailer + possibly another tease of some sort. And the likely datamine 2-3 weeks before launch.

I'm surprised at how little we know going in. it's gonna be Legends all over again.

fingers crossed the level design is as good as Legends

I appreciate that they're not showing much of the game and I hope they keep this up with future entries. Enough new Pokémon have been shown by now for my tastes and they're clearly saving a lot of interesting things for self-discovery.

With how many of Sun/Moons new faces were officially revealed before release I never imagined they'd get so much better with prerelease restraint.

Yeah, I'm surprised how much info they're holding back. Feel like I shouldn't have checked out so many of the leaks this summer since it seems like I would have gone in mostly unspoiled in an official capacity anyway :oops:

I can't even say I'm surprised, this is the same play they pulled with Gen 8 after Gen 7 showed basically the entire game. Still, I'm left wanting a  little bit more. Mostly just a couple of Pokémon.

When pokemon SV does well over 20mil in its opening quarter I wonder if people will still doubt SV>SWSH

• New generation of Pokemon with cool new Pokemon designs
  • Actual open world
  • Ability to play the campaign with other people
I imagine those are the biggest ones.
The first is a given for any new gen. And, personally speaking, I haven't see too much reaction that was much different than previous generations

The second is the biggest point. But I feel like the advertising hasn't really capitalized on this. We've seen so little of the world. But they said enough, I guess

The third is a point of contention because they haven't shown much of anything people can do together beyond doing raids and just running around. Raids were popular with SS, so that's good that it's back, but it still seems like the only real cooperative thing again

The first is a given for any new gen. And, personally speaking, I haven't see too much reaction that was much different than previous generations
Oh, I thought you were just generally asking what the buzz is about. Yeah it’s the usual new-gen hype.
The second is the biggest point. But I feel like the advertising hasn't really capitalized on this. We've seen so little of the world. But they said enough, I guess
I think they’ve shown enough to tantalize people with the possibilities.

The third is a point of contention because they haven't shown much of anything people can do together beyond doing raids and just running around. Raids were popular with SS, so that's good that it's back, but it still seems like the only real cooperative thing again
Well raids did lead to higher user engagement, so if the value proposition for coop play is “raids + more” then yeah I can see players latching on to that.

I think Legends probably raised people's hopes for what to expect in a Pokemon open world (whether or not S&V can maintain the level of quality of Legend's zones across its open world remains to be seen of course). So because of that association people might be pretty positive on the idea based on Legend's reception

I think that for a lot of people, they're not paying super close attention to the advertising but simply hearing the terms "open world", "multiplayer", and it being a new gen with new pokemon + positive buzz from Arceus is really all it takes. That and the Switch install base being probably the largest they've ever had at the launch of a new gen.

The Switch install base is also dramatically higher than it was in 2019. I think that's the main reason the game will be more front loaded.

Previews are hitting tomorrow

I'm really excited. Usually I'm not really keen on previews because I want to go in blind but this game leaves me wanting to know more about how a open-world Pokemon experience is received by the rest. Exciting!

I will probably avoid seeing more Pokémon at this point. I think a bit over 20 are officially revealed. So should be a fair amount left that I can discover in-game.
I still miss traditional level design and dungeons and a lot of other stuff from older Pokémon games. But this one looks different enough that I am sure it'll be fun.
As long as I do not have to struggle hard to not be overleleved, it should be manageable.

Nice though I find previews lacking in critical points. I don't think many of the previews for SS touched on what I felt were problems the final game had
Most of Sw/Sh problems reared their heads in the last half of the games tbh. The start was very solid.
What did we get in the SwSh previews btw? If I recall most of it took place in the Wild Area, and I think we got our first look at Yamper and (the still-not-officially-revealed) Impidimp?
Among other things, the fact that even in the first Road of the game, there were half of the Pokemon that were not shown by TPC.

for me, once you got past the 3rd gym, it started to fall apart. the Wild Area didn't take long for you to realize how empty it was though
You definitely had an acceleration after the 3rd Gym, but that's the usual. It was was problematic later on where things were definitely rushed.

The Wild Area however, although limited, was still a fun playground. You had access, early in the game, to 10s of Pokemon. I spent a ton of time there to catch them. This was helped by the Raids that gave an opportunity to get very rare Pokemon at the start of your journey.

Nice though I find previews lacking in critical points. I don't think many of the previews for SS touched on what I felt were problems the final game had
Other than very general "look and feel" plus intro/first impressions, previews aren't usually all that useful for critical elements. I'm just hoping we might get some clarification on game structure/early stuff and maybe a few new pokemon slip in

Other than very general "look and feel" plus intro/first impressions, previews aren't usually all that useful for critical elements. I'm just hoping we might get some clarification on game structure/early stuff and maybe a few new pokemon slip in
Granted, I'd say even general look and feel stuff is important when looking at the first open world Pokemon game

We'll probably at least get a glimpse of how the open world design is hopefully (they better not set the preview in like, a closed off town or something)

Previews are going to be very valuable this time around because we didn't get booth demo nor a Treehouse stream.

Yeah. Previews could confirm some of the easier to answer questions, if the journalists care, like: How does sleep/freeze work now? Is confusion in etc. stuff which we would have most likely saw in a demo. Just not sure if any previewer cared about this stuff.

Fast battle looks very chaotic when you send out multiple pokémon, I absolutely love it. And that chaos doesn't put any strain on performance.

previews

GVG also has a video preview out. It looks smoother? Also you can get badges from the Starfall goons too. And all customization options are available. There’s no set gender. Cool stuff.

And apparently they like the Let’s Go command better than Pokeball throwing in Legends.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom