• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

Pre-Release Pokémon Scarlet and Violet — Pre-release Discussion Thread (UPDATE: new trailer, see threadmarks)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I rented SwSh last year, and honestly the first half of the game was a pleasant surprise (if a bit railroaded) for how much friction I ran into. The problem is that after the 4th gym you can physically feel the devs crunching themselves into dust just to make the game releasable. By the time I got to Wyndon I was so bored out of my mind that I couldn't go further. I told myself that if they fucked up PLA I would cut my losses with the series, but thankfully they didn't and it was the most fun I had with the games post-B2W2. I'm cautiously optimistic with SV, but with dexit and how little they show of the games nowadays, I can't just buy them sight unseen anymore. Also I feel people are overestimating how much PLA lessened rampant discourse - it's better for sure, but it still gets bad a lot of the time

EDIT:
Sword and Shield was actually in a decently positive light until Dexit came about. Then everything they said or showed became a joke. And mainly cause of the controversy of Dexit. Like it became cool to make fun of S&S all of a sudden.

Pretty remarkable seeing it happen first hand back then at E3
It really didn't help that Dexit was conjoined at the hip with Masuda's "high quality animations" gaffe. With full transfer, something considered really important to the series, cut from the game long after GF became notorious for removing beloved mechanics, it made obvious shortcuts like UFO Wingull and the N64 trees glare out like the fucking sun. Then it got compounded by even more gaffes by Masuda and Ohmori as well as previous ones being dredged up (ORAS-frontier.txt) - to the point that I would argue they stopped doing dev interviews for that reason alongside the extreme toxicity. SwSh being 50% finished proceeded to make things much worse. At least with PLA and SV, they were finally able to put dexit to good use with much better animations and models

Last edited:
I rented SwSh last year, and honestly the first half of the game was a pleasant surprise (if a bit railroaded) for how much friction I ran into. The problem is that after the 4th gym you can physically feel the devs crunching themselves into dust just to make the game releasable. By the time I got to Wyndon I was so bored out of my mind that I couldn't go further. I told myself that if they fucked up PLA I would cut my losses with the series, but thankfully they didn't and it was the most fun I had with the games post-B2W2. I'm cautiously optimistic with SV, but with dexit and how little they show of the games nowadays, I can't just buy them sight unseen anymore. Also I feel people are overestimating how much PLA lessened rampant discourse - it's better for sure, but it still gets bad a lot of the time

EDIT:

It really didn't help that Dexit was conjoined at the hip with Masuda's "high quality animations" gaffe. With full transfer, something considered really important to the series, cut from the game long after GF became notorious for removing beloved mechanics, it made obvious shortcuts like UFO Wingull and the N64 trees glare out like the fucking sun. Then it got compounded by even more gaffes by Masuda and Ohmori as well as previous ones being dredged up (ORAS-frontier.txt) - to the point that I would argue they stopped doing dev interviews for that reason alongside the extreme toxicity. SwSh being 50% finished proceeded to make things much worse. At least with PLA and SV, they were finally able to put dexit to good use with much better animations and models
"UFO Wingull" was not a shortcut. That is just how seagulls fly IRL too. It was pretty much intentional.
What really was bad was the "turning around" animation of the Pokemon. But they fixed it in Arceus.

Dexit is like the motion controls in Skyward Sword to me, red herring issue that drew in all ire but let a lot of the (in my opinion) worse issues slip by without too much scrutiny, at least at first.

"UFO Wingull" was not a shortcut. That is just how seagulls fly IRL too. It was pretty much intentional.
What really was bad was the "turning around" animation of the Pokemon. But they fixed it in Arceus.
Can definitely agree with the second point, but the issue with Wingull is that it had no perching animation, so at points it stayed still hovering off the ground.

Anyways, to prevent this becoming a SwSh thread, SV's done a lot on top of PLA's animation work. In the Wiglett video, stuff like Sandile surfing in the sand, size accurate Applin hanging off the tree, Greedunt eating in the wild really sells the idea of a living environment. The Applin thing in particular makes me hopeful that finding Pokemon and completing the dex is going to be more involved than "camp an area until you've cleared the spawn table" - seems like a very easy thing to miss if you don't look for it

Can definitely agree with the second point, but the issue with Wingull is that it had no perching animation, so at points it stayed still hovering off the ground.

Anyways, to prevent this becoming a SwSh thread, SV's done a lot on top of PLA's animation work. In the Wiglett video, stuff like Sandile surfing in the sand, size accurate Applin hanging off the tree, Greedunt eating in the wild really sells the idea of a living environment. The Applin thing in particular makes me hopeful that finding Pokemon and completing the dex is going to be more involved than "camp an area until you've cleared the spawn table" - seems like a very easy thing to miss if you don't look for it
Game Freak talked about the animation at CEDEC, actually. the pokemon were revamped with reusable rigs based on body type. allowed for faster iteration and motion capture for some body styles in Arceus and SV

Game Freak talked about the animation at CEDEC, actually. the pokemon were revamped with reusable rigs based on body type. allowed for faster iteration and motion capture for some body styles in Arceus and SV
It’s great that they’ve updated the rigs, and from what I hear GF is actually trying to make the Pokemon interact organically with the world around them. I’m already stoked for that alone.

Dexit is like the motion controls in Skyward Sword to me, red herring issue that drew in all ire but let a lot of the (in my opinion) worse issues slip by without too much scrutiny, at least at first.
Dunno mate. Skyward Sword is still the worst Zelda game to me taking Zelda 2 place from almost the controls alone.

Dexit still sucks and we haven't received or seen any basic improvements you'd expect across all the mainline games because of it.

Here's to hoping Gen 9 at least improves on the previous games mistakes and not pull the same two steps forward eight steps back Pokémon been known for since Gen 7.

Last edited:
Dunno mate. Skyward Sword is still the worst Zelda game to me taking Zelda 2 place from almost the controls alone.

Dexit still sucks and we haven't received or seen any basic improvements across all the mainline games.

Here's to hoping Gen 9 at least improves on the previous games mistakes and not pull the same two steps forward eight steps back Pokémon been known for since Gen 7.

So far Gen 9 has been shaping up to be a real Gen 7 successor so here's to hoping it follows through

Finally got around to listening to a recreation of the game's raid theme and holy shit it goes so hard. Toby Fox stay winning

I thought there’d be a trailer this week, still possible for tomorrow or is the Mario movie taking up all the air this week?

I thought there’d be a trailer this week, still possible for tomorrow or is the Mario movie taking up all the air this week?
I think they've typically announced the trailers ahead of time so we might be out of luck for this week. Though it's possible they could air one on the same day as the Mario Movie Direct and announce it tomorrow, or just randomly drop a trailer tomorrow

I think they've typically announced the trailers ahead of time so we might be out of luck for this week. Though it's possible they could air one on the same day as the Mario Movie Direct and announce it tomorrow, or just randomly drop a trailer tomorrow
Yeah I don’t know that they’d necessarily compete much at all. No matter what I expect the marketing train to continue to gain steam, given we’re somehow only 6 weeks out until reviews, roughly

Does any of you remember if Game Freak usually reveals the final starter evolutions prior to main games' release (of course not counting remakes)?
They did for XY and Sun/Moon but only stage 2 evolutions. Final stages are usually revealed a few weeks after the launch.

To be honest I kinda hope they do what SM did and just reveal the whole lines of the starters by the end of marketing from now on. I don't want to get stuck in a situation where the first and second stages are good and then the third just shits the bed (coughSwShcough)

not gonna lie..... I adored my time with Sword and Shield up until the end. Personally I couldn't care less about endgame, dexit etc.

It is probably my best Pokemon experience since Red/Blue. So naturally I am absolutely stoked about the potential of an open world Pokemon that takes some cues from Breath of the Wild. And I think many others are too.
Same. Easily the most fun I had with a Pokemon game in some time, ended up clocking in almost 400 hours in it which is a personal record on a Pokemon game. I can see where people that dislike it are coming from, but I can't say I am bothered by things like simpler caves since I have never been a fan of Pokemon's dungeon approach in first place. I do agree that the last two gyms having no puzzle is lame, but that didn't really "get in the way" since everything else was a good time.

Why is this barely getting talked about? They just announced a new trailer. Maybe we’ll finally see the evolutions
Hah, we're never seeing starter evolutions. Especially not the early

But new trailer is hype! Between this and the Bayo 3 GI article the week's been good for news so far

The game releases next month. How is it early. I’m talking about their second stage not final stage.
They typically don't show starter evos, even second stages, at all these days. They showed off SwSh's after launch iirc

let me see the big dunsparce. I need to see the big dunsparce.

Finally, starter evolution time. Hopefully I made the right choice with Fuecoco
Starter evolution time coming.
Game is fast approaching they will need to get it out sooner or later
OK is there a reason I don't know about that people are so confident in this? They revealed the starter evos for SwSh post-launch, and only showed silhouettes of the Hisuian forms of the Arceus starters a week before launch. I really don't think they're going to reveal the starter evos for this game more than a month out, if at all

They won't reveal final forms but the sophomore stages are usually shown around this time. Dunno why the SwSh ones waited until after release, but the XY and SM ones were revealed about a month before

Add me to Team "Show the starter evos". I need to see them.

I don't want another Samurott surprise where i love the base form and first evo and am utterly disappointed by the final evo.

Why is this barely getting talked about? They just announced a new trailer. Maybe we’ll finally see the evolutions
I mean, you posted this like 15 minutes after it was announced, lol. Give it time! I just now saw it, I'm super excited. I don't think we'll see starter evos, though; I'm hoping we get a bit more of a tease of one of the spoiler-y things that has yet to be revealed. Either that, or more evil team info, and as usual, some new Pokemon are always welcome.

I sure wasn't expecting it, still riding the high of the Mario announcement I guess, but a surprise nontheless!

Thinking about it a bit it feels like I know enough about the game, I just want to play it now :p I'm sold on everything they have shown so far!

Last edited:
I mean, you posted this like 15 minutes after it was announced, lol. Give it time! I just now saw it, I'm super excited. I don't think we'll see starter evos, though; I'm hoping we get a bit more of a tease of one of the spoiler-y things that has yet to be revealed. Either that, or more evil team info, and as usual, some new Pokemon are always welcome.
My post was part sarcasm lol. I’d like to see info on the evil team

OK is there a reason I don't know about that people are so confident in this? They revealed the starter evos for SwSh post-launch, and only showed silhouettes of the Hisuian forms of the Arceus starters a week before launch. I really don't think they're going to reveal the starter evos for this game more than a month out, if at all
For Gens 5, 6 and 7 the first evolutions were revealed before launch, usually a month out. Hell for gen 7 the final evolutions were revealed before launch. Maybe they changed their approach with gen 8 onwards but I don’t see why this is crazy speculate given that with one exception this has always been the case.

For Gens 5, 6 and 7 the first evolutions were revealed before launch, usually a month out. Hell for gen 7 the final evolutions were revealed before launch. Maybe they changed their approach with gen 8 onwards but I don’t see why this is crazy speculate given that with one exception this has always been the case.
I think most people are basing it on the backlash that happened after Gen 7 where lots of people complained that they showed too much. Gen 8 dialed it way back, and this Gen seems to be following in a fairly similar manner. It's certainly not impossible, but I'd lean more toward them not doing it officially. I'll wait for the datamine.

I think most people are basing it on the backlash that happened after Gen 7 where lots of people complained that they showed too much. Gen 8 dialed it way back, and this Gen seems to be following in a fairly similar manner. It's certainly not impossible, but I'd lean more toward them not doing it officially. I'll wait for the datamine.
Yeah this reveal cycle is far more similar to the Gen 8 reveal cycles than Gen 7 and before, so I'm not expecting them to reveal the starter evos at all, like they did with Gen 8. I'll certainly be very happy if I'm wrong though

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom