• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

StarTopic Nintendo General Discussion |ST7 Apr. 2022| Launch Timing Update For ST7 Sequel

Which sport are you playing first in Switch Sports?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Just had a thought. We just ended the Fiscal Year, which means the Nintendo end of Year financial report will be coming soon, and they are very likely to talk about the impact of Nintendo Switch Online Expansion Pass. I know it was very controversial when it came out, but I've gotten the impression from social media and anecdotal evidence that it saw relatively wide adoption. I'm really curious if they'll touch on the actual adoption rate, and how well it did.
I don’t really think it was controversial outside of a very specific audience kinda like the Pokédex controversy. It just is usually loud to make people think it is bigger then it is.
As it currently stands I wouldn’t be surprised if Nintendo is fine with what they see currently. I also think they are going to talk about increasing value. However currently between:
  • Increasing N64/Genesis selection (perhaps more consoles in the future)
  • Increasing DLC pool (their biggest running games first, maybe single-player as well)
I think it provides a pretty good value & foundation for the future. That in addition to everything else from the lower bracket is not to bad.

Edit: I love FEH stuff and it is one of the reasons the game continues to bring in money or at least interest.

Wait we have Wario avatars? I didn't even know because I have images turned off for a media blackout

Yeah, I tend to follow the idea that separating art from artist isn't necessarily bad (being someone who grew up adoring Michael Jackson's music, Joss Whedon's work, etc), as if I were to not do that, I'd uh... dislike a lot of things. 😅 I'm 100% for taking what works for you and brings you joy and separating the negative out if you want/can. And perhaps the thing about the Hogwarts universe feeling like a safe space for people is something I just didn't understand because I didn't resonate with it myself. I'm all for fans ripping ownership of that world away from its author if it gives them good stuff.

Also FUCK YEAH KIRBY WON A GRAMMY ❤️
sorta
heads up I’m going really spicy on this one so if you’re gonna dip, do it

I’m not gonna thrash everyone for attempting to separate artists from their work, but… when the author is still alive, unrepentant, and using that support to create more work that’s doing more direct harm, I really have to say… fuck that

like JK Rowling is playing TERF Olympics every fucking day and trans people literally die by virtue of voices like hers

she has released books deepening the extremely harmful stereotypes she bandies about on her twitter about trans people

she literally profits off of people looking the other way and uses that profit to crank her transphobia up

and if you wanna keep the fictional worlds separate? okay, let’s talk about the inherent racism and anti-semitism of just the Harry Potter books

I really get the value of finding a home in something as a queer youth. believe me. and maybe a forum about Nintendo isn’t the place I should air my thoughts on the parasitic design of franchise. but… being die-hard for the work of someone actively continuing to do harm is not good.

basing your comfort and sense of self on a chunk of media is frankly an act of violence against your own humanity.

media can be problematic and people can regret it. or they can fucking die. and you can hold some things at arm’s length, but you always have to be aware. I’d even go as far as saying you can enjoy the works of someone who fucked up and is actively trying to be better (though that’s very circumstantial on the kind of fuck up, and I feel like at that point you shouldn’t necessarily promote their work by talking about it). there’s even something to be said about work that was made by large groups of people.

like I’m not gonna say this shit isn’t complicated and isn’t by degrees.

but JK Rowling made this shit herself. She had a huge amount of control in all aspects of the franchising. She sees a ridiculous amount of cash from it. and she only goes harder against trans people every fucking day, both in her work and with her outsized public influence.

yeah. I’m gonna keep dunking on people who turn a blind eye for a fat rip of the hogwiz bong. the damage is still being done and more every day.

no shit our nostalgia is banked on and by fuck am I guilty too but awareness and principles and thresholds are fucking crucial to barebones empathy and fawning over some mediocre franchises by active and cranking dirtbags is a weak as hell thing to do to yourself and others

if you need to watch your faded box set every week that’s a you problem, funneling money to her makes it an us problem, and defending it in any public space makes it a respect problem, put lightly

no gods no marketers

Just had a thought. We just ended the Fiscal Year, which means the Nintendo end of Year financial report will be coming soon, and they are very likely to talk about the impact of Nintendo Switch Online Expansion Pass. I know it was very controversial when it came out, but I've gotten the impression from social media and anecdotal evidence that it saw relatively wide adoption. I'm really curious if they'll touch on the actual adoption rate, and how well it did.
We’ll definitely see the adoption rate of the Expansion Pass. We can probably expect good numbers on the back of the AC and MK8DX DLCs.

Strangers of Paradise really feels like it came and went.

My cousin told me that the main game “memey” scenes were very few and probably all the ones shared on online when it came out so you saw it all.

The original leak to reveal was pretty funny but thinking back on it. I think those leaks did a lot more harm in the end since it made it seem something much more different. The reveal trailer probably would still be penned with its Chaos usage. But we’ll never know.
It's one of those games where the people that the niche appeals to seem to REALLY love it, and everybody else is just not going to care really. My friend group talks about it daily still with people still playing it. Game's actually pretty great, just ended up being a lot more niche than you'd expect for somethin with FF on the box.

They might release updated overall sub numbers, and perhaps a breakdown of how many bought the expansion pack, but that's not guaranteed.

If they say anything about the future of the service, it'll be the same "improve and expand the offering" line they've delivered every fiscal year since NSO launched (and which they used in their fiscal statement in November).

I can't stop playing Kirby, i'm probably nearing the end but i don't want it to end either >.<
i came to this thread to say the same thing! i just started playing tho, finished world 1 (45/46). the game is honestly just amazing, wow.

edit: oh wow there are hidden treasure roads

Last edited:
i came to this thread to say the same thing! i just started playing tho, finished world 1 (45/46). the game is honestly just amazing, wow.

And it gets even better and better. Visuals, gameplay, they were already great in the beginning, but they are absolutely stunning now. I don't want it to end... I'll probably play Chrono Cross next

It would be nice, if they say something about the NSO-N64 controller. Is it already six+ months out of stock..?

Game's actually pretty great, just ended up being a lot more niche than you'd expect for somethin with FF on the box.
I’m not surprised that the center of a Venn Diagram with Final Fantasy and Souls fans is a hair’s width in size.

Alternatively, Souls fans really don’t look for their fix outside of From software (I don’t remember how well the Nioh games sold) or they’re just a really disproportionately loud/vocal gaming subculture relative to their actual size.

I’m not surprised that the center of a Venn Diagram with Final Fantasy and Souls fans is a hair’s width in size.

Alternatively, Souls fans really don’t look for their fix outside of From software (I don’t remember how well the Nioh games sold) or they’re just a really disproportionately loud/vocal gaming subculture relative to their actual size.
As someone who enjoys both classic FF and Souls games, the appeal for me was never really there with SoP, even though I enjoyed Nioh — I never finished Nioh 2, for some reason, however.

I think the main thing holding SoP back even for people within that tiny overlap of Souls/FF fans is timing. Elden Ring will be front and center for just about everyone who is even remotely interested in SoP. Had it released a couple of months sooner/later, it might have been a different story.

Didn't post over the weekend, visiting friends for the first time in a while.

Did we have a "when will the next Direct happen?" conversation, now that E3 is cancelled? Presumably Nintendo will do marketing around that time anyway, given they've obviously got release dates to nail down and further games to reveal.

FOla4zzXoAAqaxz

Earning report isn't due out until May 10th according to the Investor Relations site: https://www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/en/schedule/index.html

Did we have a "when will the next Direct happen?" conversation, now that E3 is cancelled? Presumably Nintendo will do marketing around that time anyway, given they've obviously got release dates to nail down and further games to reveal.
It's been happening in spurts I think.

Right now I'm thinking we get something in early May to coincide with the investor briefing and then something in late June / early July. So either a mini or game specific (Splatoon 3?) Direct and a larger general in the summer.

I wouldn't really describe the types of people I'm talking about as Souls fans, because that's really not the appeal that got me riled up about SoP or why it's good. I do like From games, cause they're good action games, and Nioh 2 is absolutely great. From isn't really niche I would say though, and some derivative games do fine. Also it doesn't really resemble Souls enough that I want to lump them together, but that's probably action game brainworms rotting through my skull.

The niche I'm talking about is more people who just love older style Japanese action games or that era of "Japanese jank" for lack of a better term. SoP more closely resembles Godhand with an FF theme on it, which is so fucking funny to me it's unreal. On top of that the combat and class systems are actually really cool if you want to mess with action game systems. It's endearing outside of the "meme" quality too in a lot of the same ways those early HD era action RPGs out of Japan would hit.

I'm the type of person who will tell you to play most of the stuff Cavia spat out even pre Nier and to enjoy it though, so like I'm definitely in the narrowest band of appeal here. I really don't give a fuck about sales/reviews outside of things that amuse me, so I haven't kept up with what's going on with SoP. I wouldn't be surprised if it bombs with a yellow metascore, and then years later nerds like me are pushing it as a cool cult game that just didn't have an audience.

Not a big indies fan, but hopefully this or next week are the ones for Nindies Direct!

So then we can start speculate when we will get Splatoon 3 direct.

I’m considering grabbing Sherlock Holmes: Crimes and Punishments while it’s on sale. Frogwares is a Ukrainian dev so it’ll be going toward a good cause, right?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom