• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

StarTopic Nintendo General Discussion |ST7 Apr. 2022| Launch Timing Update For ST7 Sequel

Which sport are you playing first in Switch Sports?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
So this comedian I like has a podcast, and she's started a sponsorship deal with Manscaped. She did an ad reading and.. I didn't laugh?

An actual professional comedian's Manscaped bit was still not as funny as what Nate and MVG pull off. Can't wait for the next ad episode.
Not really the same thing. But it’s a podcast thing.

But a podcast I enjoy listening from time to time really disappointed with their opinions on the Hogwarts Game state of play from 2 weeks ago. Takes some time to read and see why JK is really a monster .

Alright. You know what? I'm done with these Breath of the Wild comparisons.

If I ever make one again, it'll be in the thread that I specifically made for that sort-of thing anyways.

:p
That's what you say about Breath of the Wild itself, but, like with that game, we know you'll be back. You can't help it.

Mother 3 🥲

Prob TP and WW will be on the system this year to compensate
Mother Trilogy retail release. Let's do this.

I mean, they could do something with that, too. Do some work with it.

Maybe update Twilight Princess to look more like the Wii U demo; include a toggle for people who prefer it less updated and to preserve that form. Include Crossbow Training.

Somehow bring back the Tingle Tuner even though that was left out on the system that had the separate handheld screen built-in. Add the Wind Waker follow-ups because now's the opportunity to make those readily available.

There are ways to add excitement to these releases.

I really wish Link's Awakening had a toggle to play the older versions. How was this not included?

Not really the same thing. But it’s a podcast thing.

But a podcast I enjoy listening from time to time really disappointed with their opinions on the Hogwarts Game state of play from 2 weeks ago. Takes some time to read and see why JK is really a monster .
HP-related takes are weird to me. I never got into the series so I'm an outsider looking in, but like the most loud, proud LGBTQ people/allies I know are also the loudest HP fanatics and are always telling everyone which Hogwarts house they're in and stuff, but then they'll refuse to listen to Michael Jackson music, refuse to watch.. well I won't go down the list but they refuse pretty much any media that is made by or has overt ties to people with racist/sexist or anti-LGBTQ stances, but then Harry Potter gets a pass and I don't quite understand it.

Harry Potter fans confuddle me

HP-related takes are weird to me. I never got into the series so I'm an outsider looking in, but like the most loud, proud LGBTQ people/allies I know are also the loudest HP fanatics and are always telling everyone which Hogwarts house they're in and stuff, but then they'll refuse to listen to Michael Jackson music, refuse to watch.. well I won't go down the list but they refuse pretty much any media that is made by or has overt ties to people with racist/sexist or anti-LGBTQ stances, but then Harry Potter gets a pass and I don't quite understand it.

Being LGBTQ+ and young is a lonely experience. I think that, even if she's a shitty story writer, JKR was good at creating an immersive world, a world in which lonely children and teen felt safe in. So it's hard to let that go for some, because they feel that Harry Potter saved them. In reality, JKR didn't do shit for them, those people are strong and brave and they saved themselves. But some still feel like they owe her, because they haven't realized that yet.

The thing is: what does a Mario sports game has to have in order to "not" be barebones? Sports games tend to be pretty simple in nature. It's meant to be played on multiplayer or online. There's an 8 player mode, an online mode with club competition... There will be a variety of stadiums, characters, items and special moves just like the previous entries... So what could the game have in order to be a more complete experience? Like a career mode, "build a player" or such?
They're included in a genre that will generally score lower by default, which will have to put in additional work to play on the same field as other sorts of games. This isn't to say that's entirely fair, but it's the general way of things:
Party games (which Mario sports games fit in for the press) always get low scores it's nothing new , anything above 80+ would be amazing imo
A question might be what these games, in general, could do to get around this.

Mario Sports might have it a bit easier I this regard than more real world based sports games, given the inherently more cartoony nature they present and the world given them in which to play. A large part of their strength is in the characters and world they have access to, but this can also be a drawback if the fanbase generally feels these elements were not leveraged to their full extent (a likely cause of people feeling something like this is barebones).

Leaning into the Mario universe elements, drawing what can be drawn from those in characters and potential modes and other content is probably a start. This probably involves some less-than-traditional game modes (I could see a Battle Ball of some sort as a mode, for instance), but it could also include especially zany courses and such.

Even then, people look back fondly at previous Strikers games and still consider them as bare-bones, so it's not that your point is wrong, per se. Though part of it is likely the consideration that some people are more focused on the Mario part of the equation or the more party game aspect, rather than considering it necessarily with sports games.

And I feel the success of Next Level Games recently plays into this, where people will expect something a bit more, something extra special, from them.

But that's diverging from the presumed rating ranges.

People should be allowed to enjoy what they want without necessarily supporting the artists values. There is the argument of monetary gain but that's a huge downward spiral and, honestly, most people who like Harry Potter by now probably already have a way to experience the films/books/media that they purchased long ago. They can't take that back.

Either way this line of thinking can get toxic and I generally try not to judge people on what they like as long as what they like isn't the phobia/bigoted/hatred related part of said media.

Edit: I should clarify I mostly mean with media the person has already purchased/experienced, because your comment was about people who are already HP fans and talk about media they already like. The Harry Potter game is another can of worms and I think people shouldn't support it.

Being LGBTQ+ and young is a lonely experience. I think that, even if she's a shitty story writer, JKR was good at creating an immersive world, a world in which lonely children and teen felt safe in. So it's hard to let that go for some, because they feel that Harry Potter saved them. In reality, JKR didn't do shit for them, those people are strong and brave and they saved themselves. But some still feel like they owe her, because they haven't realized that yet.

I'm somewhat reminded of HP Lovecraft fans within marginalized groups Lovecraft himself would have been terrified of and hated (though let's be real: Lovecraft hated and was terrified of everything), groups which you can see reflected poorly in his writings -- especially if you know to look for it.

But the same ideas that display this fear and loathing present themes they identify with. And, while this clearly wasn't the original intent and I don't think anyone would ever suggest it to be, I'm not about to say these individuals and groups are wrong for that.

Point is, for as overt these works might be in harmful messaging -- you'd be hard-pressed to find someone to say Harry Potter itself is on par or worse in this way --, and that's not considering Lovecraft's personal life, the same marginalized groups at whom this fear and hate is directed find something within the works that they identify with, and could even be called fans.

Life is complicated.

Yuuuup.

I still like the HP books, but I’m kind of over everything else (like the Fantastic Beasts movies, merchandise and whatnot) and don’t want to spend money on it because I don’t want Rowling to earn money from it.

Zelda related news
Hopefully WW/TP HD or a new 2D Zelda also in 2023, maybe?
WW/TP HD finally on the way to Switch
Yep, this seems the most likely to me as well. I've been itching to replay WW the last couple years and I've never played the HD version, so count me in. I'm even more pumped for TP HD, as I never beat the game because my old GameCube disc corrupted.
At first i thought you were asking Nate about your headache lol
My man needs to start some Advil ad reads

Hopefully WW/TP HD or a new 2D Zelda also in 2023, maybe?

Yep, this seems the most likely to me as well. I've been itching to replay WW the last couple years and I've never played the HD version, so count me in. I'm even more pumped for TP HD, as I never beat the game because my old GameCube disc corrupted.

My man needs to start some Advil ad reads
Hopefully we do get those Zelda ports as I need to play twilight princess myself

I feel ya about that headache. The one I’ve got today hasn’t done me any favors either. Further cementing that I don’t want to get any new game for a while

With Mother's Day coming up next month, remember to love your mother as much as Eren Yeager loves his.

Personally I'd prefer an original 2D Zelda game, much like we got Minish Cap during the lead up to TP.

With Mother's Day coming up next month, remember to love your mother as much as Eren Yeager loves his.
But Mother's Day was last weekend!

Just a reminder that two of the greatest games ever made are coming to Switch this year for $20.

giphy.gif

I've Completed Kirby Full 100%. Not sure what to do with my life since its completed. I guess i gotta go back being a software developer again lol. Also hit me a follow on Twitch, it would be much appreciated :)
22313952aabf34a07f6d7da0dd28624ac70fe5d92e9ca419616a88dbd8cccfb1b78d6bb4.jpg

The internet at my house is so bad that sometimes I’ll bring my Switch to work to download games on company Wi-Fi lol.

Less than two hours to install Lego Star Wars. Would have taken 12+ hours at home.
I remember taking my 3DS and Vita to work so I could download games as well.
People should really give Getsu Fuma Den a try. That game is crack!
It's on my wishlist, but I'll check it out when summer rolls around.

I've Completed Kirby Full 100%. Not sure what to do with my life since its completed. I guess i gotta go back being a software developer again lol. Also hit me a follow on Twitch, it would be much appreciated :)
22313952aabf34a07f6d7da0dd28624ac70fe5d92e9ca419616a88dbd8cccfb1b78d6bb4.jpg
Kinda bummed I saw this before I finished the game. Didn’t know Dedede was in it. 😬😬😬

It's wild that Nintendo fans who port beg for things like Soul Hackers 2 or whatever get dog-piled on by the same people cheering the thought of Square Enix or Capcom getting bought by Sony.

People should be allowed to enjoy what they want without necessarily supporting the artists values. There is the argument of monetary gain but that's a huge downward spiral and, honestly, most people who like Harry Potter by now probably already have a way to experience the films/books/media that they purchased long ago. They can't take that back.

Either way this line of thinking can get toxic and I generally try not to judge people on what they like as long as what they like isn't the phobia/bigoted/hatred related part of said media.

Edit: I should clarify I mostly mean with media the person has already purchased/experienced, because your comment was about people who are already HP fans and talk about media they already like. The Harry Potter game is another can of worms and I think people shouldn't support it.
I'm somewhat reminded of HP Lovecraft fans within marginalized groups Lovecraft himself would have been terrified of and hated (though let's be real: Lovecraft hated and was terrified of everything), groups which you can see reflected poorly in his writings -- especially if you know to look for it.

But the same ideas that display this fear and loathing present themes they identify with. And, while this clearly wasn't the original intent and I don't think anyone would ever suggest it to be, I'm not about to say these individuals and groups are wrong for that.

Point is, for as overt these works might be in harmful messaging -- you'd be hard-pressed to find someone to say Harry Potter itself is on par or worse in this way --, and that's not considering Lovecraft's personal life, the same marginalized groups at whom this fear and hate is directed find something within the works that they identify with, and could even be called fans.

Life is complicated.
Yeah, I tend to follow the idea that separating art from artist isn't necessarily bad (being someone who grew up adoring Michael Jackson's music, Joss Whedon's work, etc), as if I were to not do that, I'd uh... dislike a lot of things. 😅 I'm 100% for taking what works for you and brings you joy and separating the negative out if you want/can. And perhaps the thing about the Hogwarts universe feeling like a safe space for people is something I just didn't understand because I didn't resonate with it myself. I'm all for fans ripping ownership of that world away from its author if it gives them good stuff.

Also FUCK YEAH KIRBY WON A GRAMMY ❤️
sorta

Feeling pretty good about hitting the weight loss goal I set for myself ~10 months ago. Lost around 30 pounds.

Congratulations!! I've lost about 4kg so far this year, and have 16 more to go, but I'm confident I can do it until the end of the year.

Yeah, I tend to follow the idea that separating art from artist isn't necessarily bad (being someone who grew up adoring Michael Jackson's music, Joss Whedon's work, etc), as if I were to not do that, I'd uh... dislike a lot of things. 😅 I'm 100% for taking what works for you and brings you joy and separating the negative out if you want/can. And perhaps the thing about the Hogwarts universe feeling like a safe space for people is something I just didn't understand because I didn't resonate with it myself. I'm all for fans ripping ownership of that world away from its author if it gives them good stuff.
I don't think trans people will be separating the art from the artist considering the ammount of influence JKR has (even IF this was a minecraft situation, she would still have a massive political sway).
She is also not only responsible for taking trans' rights away but suicides as well, which I think makes this convo kinda inapropriate

Feeling pretty good about hitting the weight loss goal I set for myself ~10 months ago. Lost around 30 pounds.
Congratulations, that's an awesome achievement! :)

I was 14kg (31 pounds) overweight when I finished University in 2013, and managed to drop from 97kg to 77kg over the course of 2014, and have stayed in the 70s range ever since. It's not easy, especially as I am on anti-anxiety meds that promote weight gain.

The biggest things that helped me were having designated meal times with controlled portions, replacing snacks in between with tea and coffee, avoiding sugar, (one of the biggest ways this can sneak into our diet is breakfast cereals; I replaced the processed ones with whole rolled oats and milk) minimizing red meat and fast food, and going for lots of walks daily.

Moderation rather than total abstinence is key; I'd go crazy if I quit stuff like chocolate or meat entirely so now they're just "sometimes" foods that I have now and then instead of a common occurrence.

It's a challenge, but I feel so much better both mentally and physically now that I'm in the middle of my ideal weight bracket. Over time it gets easier as what starts as conscious efforts become ingrained habits. At first, cutting out sugar was a struggle, but after 8 years, I now find the taste of very sugary things quite overpowering and unappealing.

Another important thing is to be kind to yourself. There will be times you might gain a little over the span of a month, and that's okay. Long terms trends matter more than short term ones, and we don't need to win every battle to win the war.

The fact you've come so far in 10 months is something to be proud of; wishing you all the best with both your mental and physical health, and that you continue to thrive. :)

Last edited:
I don't think trans people will be separating the art from the artist considering the ammount of influence JKR has (even IF this was a minecraft situation, she would still have a massive political sway).
She is also not only responsible for taking trans' rights away but suicides as well, which I think makes this convo kinda inapropriate
Fair enough, I'll be chilling out on this.

Congratulations, that's an awesome achievement! :)

I was 14kg (31 pounds) overweight when I finished University in 2014, and managed to drop from 97kg to 77kg over the course of 2014, and have stayed in the 70s range ever since. It's not easy, especially as I am on anti-anxiety meds that promote weight gain.

The biggest things that helped me were having designated meal times with controlled portions, replacing snacks in between with tea and coffee, avoiding sugar, (one of the biggest ways this can sneak into our diet is breakfast cereals; I replaced the processed ones with whole rolled oats and milk) minimizing red meat and fast food, and going for lots of walks daily.

Moderation rather than total abstinence is key; I'd go crazy if I quit stuff like chocolate or meat entirely so now they're just "sometimes" foods that I have now and then instead of a common occurrence.

It's a challenge, but I feel so much better both mentally and physically now that I'm in the middle of my ideal weight bracket. Over time it gets easier as what starts as conscious efforts become ingrained habits. At first, cutting out sugar was a struggle, but after 8 years, I now find the taste of very sugary things quite overpowering and unappealing.

Another important thing is to be kind to yourself. There will be times you might gain a little over the span of a month, and that's okay. Long terms trends matter more than short term ones, and we don't need to win every battle to win the war.

The fact you've come so far in 10 months is something to be proud of; wishing you all the best with both your mental and physical health, and that you continue to thrive. :)
Thanks, appreciate the words of encouragement!

This is actually my second stint of weight loss. Pre-pandemic, I lost 40 pounds after I found myself pushing obesity. Then I got a new job that stressed me out so much I stopped exercising and abandoned any sort of dieting I had been doing. Somehow toughed it out, and I got used to the job around the 6-month mark. After which, I was promptly laid off, but instead of getting back to exercising, I got lazy. Gained all the weight I lost back, then started struggling with asthma symptoms after years of no issues, so that motivated me to try to lose weight (it seems to have helped).

I wish I hadn't let myself go so much, but given this was much more of a challenge than the first time around, I think I'll be more careful to not let it happen again.

Again, thanks for the kind words and tips, and good luck to you in maintaining and staying strong (sounds like you have a good handle on it).

Just had a thought. We just ended the Fiscal Year, which means the Nintendo end of Year financial report will be coming soon, and they are very likely to talk about the impact of Nintendo Switch Online Expansion Pass. I know it was very controversial when it came out, but I've gotten the impression from social media and anecdotal evidence that it saw relatively wide adoption. I'm really curious if they'll touch on the actual adoption rate, and how well it did.

Finally, the long awaited New Lanky Mode DLC is here.

jk

Somehow this is related to Retro's Other Game coming after all this time.
Just had a thought. We just ended the Fiscal Year, which means the Nintendo end of Year financial report will be coming soon, and they are very likely to talk about the impact of Nintendo Switch Online Expansion Pass. I know it was very controversial when it came out, but I've gotten the impression from social media and anecdotal evidence that it saw relatively wide adoption. I'm really curious if they'll touch on the actual adoption rate, and how well it did.
I'd imagine any possible success would be more related to the animal crossing and mario kart 8 dlcs than the n64 and genesis emulators tbh. Not that you implied they were, just saying.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom