• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

Discussion 8bit big band wins Grammy for Best Arrangement for Meta Knight's revenge

Not for nothing but Kirby didn’t win anything, the extremely talented and hardworking musicians in the 8 Bit Big Band won. Let’s congratulate actual humans and not a character!

200.gif

Jokes aside, congrats to HAL labs and everyone involved. Winning something other than game related award is pretty special.

8 Bit Big Band is crazy well-arranged, -produced (and -funded judging by the slick videos and top-of-the-line musicians and gear). Rosen's got a lot of skill, and passion, so completely deserved!

If you don't know them, their 1-minute arrangement of FF6's boss theme is a pure endorphin rush.

Cool to see the academy acknowledging video game music. And congrats to the 8-bit big band!

Not for nothing but Kirby didn’t win anything, the extremely talented and hardworking musicians in the 8 Bit Big Band won. Let’s congratulate actual humans and not a character!
arranging someones else composition,of course kirby deserves praise

For those curious, this is the music in question:

Videogame music slowly but surely getting the acknowledgement it deserves is great to see. I remember coming across The 8-bit Big Band a while back due to this Lonely Rolling Star arrangement. Many congratulations to them.

I still prefer the Brawl arrangement of the track but regardless, that is super awesome! Major props to 8-Bit Big Band

Well deserved. 8-bit Big Band have done some amazing work and this one was no exception :D

These are the guys that did that amazing arrangement of Snake Eater!

I don't think this is very good. The arrangement seems very high school and the musicians don't seem particularly talented.

I know it’s an arrangement award, but I really would’ve been cool to see the original composer credited too. I mean the base track being great has to be part of the reason the arrangement could shine no?

Kirby has some awesome music.

I know it’s an arrangement award, but I really would’ve been cool to see the original composer credited too. I mean the base track being great has to be part of the reason the arrangement could shine no?

Kirby has some awesome music.
Yeah, it’s weird… And, honestly, no disrespect to the band, but there are much better arrangements of Kirby music in the actual games themselves, so, like…how comes those never win awards like this but this does?? (I mean, I know the answer—awards like this are just dumb and always exclude things for no good reason; just look at stuff like The Game Awards and such, for example.) It’s just a super weird situation all around to me, lol.

Yeah, it’s weird… And, honestly, no disrespect to the band, but there are much better arrangements of Kirby music in the actual games themselves, so, like…how comes those never win awards like this but this does?? (I mean, I know the answer—awards like this are just dumb and always exclude things for no good reason; just look at stuff like The Game Awards and such, for example.) It’s just a super weird situation all around to me, lol.
Well I think it’s that for the Grammies you have to “submit” your music to be considered.

I don’t think many game composers (especially Japanese ones) submit. Which has always been sad to me.

Quoted by: Tye
Well I think it’s that for the Grammies you have to “submit” your music to be considered.

I don’t think many game composers (especially Japanese ones) submit. Which has always been sad to me.
Ah, well that makes a bit more sense if that’s the case, at least.

Ah, well that makes a bit more sense if that’s the case, at least.
I just searched to confirm if I was right and yeah it’s whole thing. artists have strategies and stuff for it, like say if you have multiple hit singles in a year, you submit only the biggest one for “Song of the Year” so you don’t split your votes and all of that.

Definitely different from how TGA works, I’m assuming everyone qualifies automatically for that one if they released a game that year, it’s in the running.

Back
Top Bottom