• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Furukawa Speaks! We discuss the announcement of the Nintendo Switch Successor and our June Direct Predictions on the new episode of the Famiboards Discussion Club! Check it out here!

StarTopic Nintendo Direct Speculation |ST7| It’s Showtime People! Famiboards Productions Proudly Presents: What Lies Beyond The Door? Act II - Rebirth

Status
Not open for further replies.
Long time lurker…

So our hopes for this year depends on remakes/remasters, Pokemon, and maybe Metroid Prime 4?
Best not to get your hopes up for the Pokemon Presents. It will just be updates on mobile games and the "big" announcement will either be Let's Go Johto or ILCA Black & White remake.

2020 at least had excellent third party and indie support, but given I imagine a lot of third parties were waiting on Switch 2 it's probably going to be pretty sparse all around

But honestly that kinda seems like it'll be the case for the industry in general this year. Kinda feels like a it'll be a cooldown after the really strong 2021-2023 stretch
At least for me IMO 2024 has a pretty fantastic first four months across the industry if you're into RPGs. The big question is what's happening post-April.

OK so let’s say there’s a Partner Showcase next week. What could show up there to make it a good show for you? I’ve actually got a number of third(-ish) party games I’d love to see there, like:

Shin Megami Tensei IV + Apocalypse Ports/Remasters

F-Zero GX Remaster (it’s a Sega game!)

Yakuza 0

Hi-Fi Rush

Pentiment

Game Center CX Retro Game Master 1 + 2 Replay

That Goodfeel Not-Goemon Game the title of which I will never remember

Dragon Quest 3 HD2D Remake

Pdi4wNd.jpeg
I can't believe this ended up not being the craziest thing to happen today

At least for me IMO 2024 has a pretty fantastic first four months across the industry if you're into RPGs. The big question is what's happening post-April.
I wouldn't worry about first party lineup. FE4, Pokémon remakes and MP4 will be the core of the fall 2024 Switch lineup, Nitendo can fill the rest with smaller stuff. Maybe new IP's, just like 3DS late in life games.

Bigger mystery is the third party lineup. Feels very unlikely that we get more big games.

Imagine The Pokemon Company has a crossgen Pokemon game in the works, penciled in for Holiday 2024, fully expecting to be able to show off the Super Switch version in marketing materials

Only for the Super Switch to get delayed into 2025 and being stuck with yet another janky hideous abomination on their hands with no other options

OK so let’s say there’s a Partner Showcase next week. What could show up there to make it a good show for you? I’ve actually got a number of third(-ish) party games I’d love to see there, like:

Yakuza 0

Hi-Fi Rush

Pentiment

That's a very good list! Maybe SMTV spinoff/second game, Ys X (already known, but still good to see), a random Square Enix port or remaster/remake in the vein of Star Ocean last year, maybe some good Indie Metroidvanias, and obvious Silksong would do it for me.

I know this is a tired topic at this point but I do find it funny that Grubb would hear NOA employee's saying that Nintendo pushed back the Direct because of the Xbox podcast but didn't hear anything about the fucking Switch 2 being delayed into next year.

Yakuza 0

Hi-Fi Rush

Pentiment

My answer largely remains the same:

Rockman Taisen (or hell, any meaningful Rockman content)

Mario Musou (another Zelda Musou will be fine, too, I guess)

Final Fantasy Tactics remaster/remake

You know it baby.
Also any of the Level-5 projects, of course. Actually can't think of much else that wouldn't be an old port I probably wouldn't buy anyway, but I'm sure I'm forgetting stuff.

Gintama game by Ryu Ga Gotoku....

I know this is a tired topic at this point but I do find it funny that Grubb would hear NOA employee's saying that Nintendo pushed back the Direct because of the Xbox podcast but didn't hear anything about the fucking Switch 2 being delayed into next year.
Well everyone heard about it recently, you see. But they all waited until today to talk about it. No coincidence at all.

Imagine The Pokemon Company has a crossgen Pokemon game in the works, penciled in for Holiday 2024, fully expecting to be able to show off the Super Switch version in marketing materials

Only for the Super Switch to get delayed into 2025 and being stuck with yet another janky hideous abomination on their hands with no other options
That was going to happen one way or another.

You know it baby.
Also any of the Level-5 projects, of course. Actually can't think of much else that wouldn't be an old port I probably wouldn't buy anyway, but I'm sure I'm forgetting stuff.

Gintama game by Ryu Ga Gotoku....
Asano should have something else too this year, I expect a reveal at Partner Direct next week. Something big enough to keep the attention on Switch.

Gintama is kind of a "dead" manga, it no longer receives further merch. Gintoki wasn't even in Jump Force. And I don't think RGG wants to do licensed stuff either. How about something else? Chainsaw Man by Omega Force?

Asano should have something else too this year, I expect a reveal at Partner Direct next week. Something big enough to keep the attention on Switch.

Gintama is kind of a "dead" manga, it no longer receives further merch. Gintoki wasn't even in Jump Force. And I don't think RGG wants to do licensed stuff either. How about something else? Chainsaw Man by Omega Force?
Gintama is getting a Ginpachi-sensei anime, also it not getting merch won't let me stop dreaming lol Jump Force was also dogwater.

I'd like another Asano game but I haven't had time to check out Bravely Default 2, Octopath 2, Live a Live, Triangle Strategy or Various Daylife so ... not really a pressing issue for me lol

Eurogamer sources can now corroboate the earlier reports that the Switch 2, once destined for release later in 2024, is now set for Q1 2025.

The console's launch moving into early next year - but still within the coming financial year - is designed to ensure Switch 2's launch line-up features as many titles as possible, Eurogamer understands.
I find it interesting that Eurogamer have phrased the justification for the delay in the way they did. I take it that launch titles such as the rumoured 3D Mario are progressing well (you wouldn't expect them to be finished quite yet, of course), but perhaps there were some gaps looming on the horizon after the initial 2-3 months? I suppose the benefit is that it gives all - first- and third-parties - more time to finish titles and even start production on new ones. After all, Nintendo have got to build up that "rainy day" set of games to hold onto, after all.

If this decision is recent, though, I suspect Nintendo won't have a particularly great 2024, given they'll have planned their release cadence around new hardware taking the spotlight in September/October. While titles like the rumoured Pokémon remake would've released regardless of Switch 2, I do wonder if we'll end up with more substantial gaps in their release schedule this year. I can only think of a handful of rumoured games that seem like they might come out this year.

I find it interesting that Eurogamer have phrased the justification for the delay in the way they did. I take it that launch titles such as the rumoured 3D Mario are progressing well (you wouldn't expect them to be finished quite yet, of course), but perhaps there were some gaps looming on the horizon after the initial 2-3 months? I suppose the benefit is that it gives all - first- and third-parties - more time to finish titles and even start production on new ones. After all, Nintendo have got to build up that "rainy day" set of games to hold onto, after all.

If this decision is recent, though, I suspect Nintendo won't have a particularly great 2024, given they'll have planned their release cadence around new hardware taking the spotlight in September/October. While titles like the rumoured Pokémon remake would've released regardless of Switch 2, I do wonder if we'll end up with more substantial gaps in their release schedule this year. I can only think of a handful of rumoured games that seem like they might come out this year.
If I was Nintendo I'd be moving heaven and earth to get some easy remasters on Switch like Zelda WW/TP, but might be too late to get them out this year.

i hope the delay to 2025 means they have a rock solid launch year lineup. with the console coming early in the year i hope 2025 can be what 2017 was for the switch.

Gintama is kind of a "dead" manga, it no longer receives further merch. Gintoki wasn't even in Jump Force. And I don't think RGG wants to do licensed stuff either.
I don't think RGG has an innate aversion to doing licensed stuff, it just has to be something that fits them and what kind of games they make. Like the Fist of the North Star game.

Speaking of which...with a new anime for FOTNS starting up soon, the opportunity to make a sequel to Lost Paradise is there, if they really wanted to.

i'm sure he has at some point but you'd think after the last few flop "leaks" one would decide to take a few days off.
sorry but last "few" flop leaks? What exactly has flopped? I know the thing about the release timing of this coming Direct was off but everyone got that wrong and most are insisting it was a change, not a miss.

Okay, so like... if we're to assume this alleged Switch 2 delay was very recent, then that wouldn't really change anything for hypothetical crossgen releases, right? If things like Prime 4 or even FE4 remake were meant to be crossgen 2024 launch window releases and that's why we were meant to only get a Partner Direct in February, then this very sudden delay would've just delayed them too, right?

I guess what I'm trying to say is that we could be waiting untill 2025 for FE4R if it was indeed supposed to be crossgen 😭 😭

If I was Nintendo I'd be moving heaven and earth to get some easy remasters on Switch like Zelda WW/TP, but might be too late to get them out this year.

If I recall, Wind Waker HD took 6 months to develop internally. Assuming the decision to delay the Switch 2 was only recent, e.g., a month or two ago, it could happen... but, of course, how many internal teams at Nintendo are free to do that work, assuming many are shifting their focus to the new hardware?

If they outsourced them, like Twilight Princess HD - which was outsourced for this exact reason - then perhaps it could happen by the fall. Perhaps if Tantalus aren't too busy they could come back to port them again. I do wonder if that'll happen though...

At this point i see no reason to keep Prime 4 for the Switch 2 reveal, it makes no sense, you hava to give news in 2024
Well, Switch 2 reveal will be in 2024 if Switch 2 is in March. So they can show Prime 4 then.

If I recall, Wind Waker HD took 6 months to develop internally. Assuming the decision to delay the Switch 2 was only recent, e.g., a month or two ago, it could happen... but, of course, how many internal teams at Nintendo are free to do that work, assuming many are shifting their focus to the new hardware?

If they outsourced them, like Twilight Princess HD - which was outsourced for this exact reason - then perhaps it could happen by the fall. Perhaps if Tantalus aren't too busy they could come back to port them again. I do wonder if that'll happen though...
Right, but I'm also saying they could literally just port WW/TP HD and I don't think that would take six months.

i'm sure he has at some point but you'd think after the last few flop "leaks" one would decide to take a few days off.
Are you talking about Nate? He was just right about Xbox, a partner showcase, I don’t think he ever said the specific date of the 15th but if he did that would be the only “flop” in which he was off by what, a week?

did you miss the xbox news?
He was 100% on that, he was one of the first to say hi fi rush and other titles would be coming multiplat. At first corroborated Starfield then took that back before the podcast aired as he got new info.

Yakuza 0

Hi-Fi Rush

Pentiment

All of those would be sick, and I would do unspeakable things to get that F-Zero GX remaster. It'd satiate the void in my heart that F-Zero 99 didn't fill. Idk if we'd get a localization of the Retro Game Challenge compilation given that 2 wasn't released outside Japan, but it would be cool as hell so here's hoping.

Now that the Apollo Justice trilogy has been out for a bit, I'm gonna hope for an announcement for an Investigations duology and/or AA7.

Right, but I'm also saying they could literally just port WW/TP HD and I don't think that would take six months.

How long do you suppose they'd do it in? Worth remembering both games are not written on the same architecture as the Switch (PowerPC vs ARM), and would both need a little work done to remove any Wii U features (e.g., the gamepad, Miiverse, etc. - not suggesting they'd replace them with anything though).

6 months seems like a solid estimate for that work, given I think it'd have to be outsourced. Perhaps 4 at a push. Either way, I'd say it could be possible, just whether Nintendo would want to fund that work if they haven't already by now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom