• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Furukawa Speaks! We discuss the announcement of the Nintendo Switch Successor and our June Direct Predictions on the new episode of the Famiboards Discussion Club! Check it out here!

StarTopic Nintendo Direct Speculation |ST7| It’s Showtime People! Famiboards Productions Proudly Presents: What Lies Beyond The Door? Act II - Rebirth

Status
Not open for further replies.
How long do you suppose they'd do it in? Worth remembering both games are not written on the same architecture as the Switch (PowerPC vs ARM), and would both need a little work done to remove any Wii U features (e.g., the gamepad, Miiverse, etc. - not suggesting they'd replace them with anything though).

6 months seems like a solid estimate for that work, given I think it'd have to be outsourced. Perhaps 4 at a push. Either way, I'd say it could be possible, just whether Nintendo would want to fund that work if they haven't already by now.
It's true that dealing with the Wii U interface would create some complications. I'd like to think it could be done in about 4, but I'm just saying, at this point Nintendo needs to be raising alarm bells to get some easy sellers out this year.

I can't believe we may live in a world where it's Christmas 2024 and there's no new Nintendo system and DQIII Remake still isn't out.

maybe to soften the blow of the delay, they'll now re-edit the partner showcase and add a few first party announcements in there to make it a proper direct /copium
The fear is do they even have any big games left for Switch or will they have to sell it on bundles, price drops, and Pokémon so they don't see a big hit in their revenue?

You can't edit in something that might not exist.

maybe to soften the blow of the delay, they'll now re-edit the partner showcase and add a few first party announcements in there to make it a proper direct /copium

Honestly I think this is more likely than it got delayed due to Microsoft's nothing-podcast.

The fear is do they even have any big games left for Switch or will they have to sell it on bundles, price drops, and Pokémon so they don't see a big hit in their revenue?

i mean it doesn't have to be anything super big. some zelda ports, a fire emblem announcement and a luigi's mansion 2hd /ttyd release date trailers are enough for a direct

what if they did an entire Direct about Everybody 1-2 Switch and just pretend they didn't already release it?

I mean, Nintendo has not communicated the delay publicly, or even a original release year for the new console. It makes no sense that they would change the direct to appease "bad news" that weren't ever shared.

I'm fine with a console delay to ensure a strong first party lineup. We saw Xbox bumble out of the gate with almost nothing and have been through the 3DS launch which really should have launched in Oct/Nov 2011.

Price drops on hardware won't necessarily help with revenue, but it might on older software titles. I'd expect they do something with the subscription and offer digital only Nintendo Selects to juice revenue. Would be a good strategy to get people to pick up more software if new releases were thin on the ground and to boost revenues.

I wager the decision less effects the upcoming Direct - if it actually exists - but it definitely throws future Directs out of kilter. I don't see Nintendo's [Switch 1] line-up this year sustaining two more General Directs, not without being very underwhelming in the process.

I hope to see the Gotham Knights. I'm probably one of the 4 people who are still interested in that game.
To be honest, this whole Switch 2 delay has taken the wind out of a Partner a bit for me. I was excited for the games in a Partner Direct because there was a good chance they'd all be Switch 2-enhanced or very within-that-window. But now any game that gets announced it may be stuck in sub-native res hell forever.

Like, I don't want Gotham Knights this Direct, because that increases the odds it's shit at launch and shit forever.

Nintendo's new 2024:

January: Another Code Recollection
February: Mario vs DK, Side Order
March: Princess Peach Showtime
April: launch of NSO Select discounts
May: Luigi's Mansion 2 HD
June: Paper Mario Thousand Year Door
July: The Legend of Zelda: Wind Waker HD
August: nothing
September: Kid Icarus: Uprising HD
October: Fortune Street Nintendo All-Stars Edition, Metroid Prime 4
November: Pokémon Whatever
December: NSO Selects round 2

If we get Prime 4 and the Pokemon game is more Arceus than BDSP I'll still be willing to chalk this year up as a decent one

Big ifs though

Nintendo's new 2024:

DK game?

2016: There's no games coming out for Wii U except Paper Mario and people are wondering when NX is going to get revealed.
2020: There's no first party games announced besides Paper Mario and we get a partner showcase instead.
2024: Only first-party games announced beyond March are Paper Mario and Luigi's Mansion 2. We get a partner showcase and the Switch 2 gets delayed.
2028: Only game announced for the year is a new Paper Mario. Nintendo announces the permanent cancellation of directs.
2032: Only game releasing this year is Paper Mario: Sticker Star remake. Nintendo exits the games business and goes back to making hanafuda cards.

2016: There's no games coming out for Wii U except Paper Mario and people are wondering when NX is going to get revealed.
2020: There's no first party games announced besides Paper Mario and we get a partner showcase instead.
2024: Only first-party games announced beyond March are Paper Mario and Luigi's Mansion 2. We get a partner showcase and the Switch 2 gets delayed.
2028: Only game announced for the year is a new Paper Mario. Nintendo announces the permanent cancellation of directs.
2032: Only game releasing this year is Paper Mario: Sticker Star remake. Nintendo exits the games business and goes back to making hanafuda cards.

2036: only cards releasing this year are Mario themed, Nintendo makes a pivot from cards back into love hotels

I mean, Nintendo has not communicated the delay publicly, or even a original release year for the new console. It makes no sense that they would change the direct to appease "bad news" that weren't ever shared.
Less appeasing bad news and more "oh god our schedule is fucked now, we need to reorganize and maybe announce things earlier than planned." Not that I think that they're going to do this.

It's true that dealing with the Wii U interface would create some complications. I'd like to think it could be done in about 4, but I'm just saying, at this point Nintendo needs to be raising alarm bells to get some easy sellers out this year.
I'm still of the firm belief that, like Fire Emblem Engage and Metroid Prime Remastered, Nintendo at least has Switch ports for both Wind Waker HD and Twilight Princess HD ready to go (or pretty dang close). Given the volume of Switch ports, and how flexible and frequently used Nintendo's internal tools seem to be, I would not be surprised

Plus who knows what else they might've been sitting on? Xenoblade Chronicles X could be a smaller team at Monolith, given they've already made 3/5 (depending on what you count) Xenoblades on the hardware.

Is the FE4 remake real? If so, has it also been done for a while? If it's another collab with Koei like Three Houses, that team has been free since 2019 (Three Hopes was a different team, I believe). Are Metroid Prime 2 and 3 remasters ready to go, if they aren't of the scale Prime 1 was?

They have plenty of options.
Super Mario Galaxy 2
Xenoblade Chronicles X ( doubt it tho)
Yoshi's Wooly World
Donkey Kong Country Returns
Twilight Princess
Wind Waker
Luigi's Mansion
Other Gamecube releases

Maybe a Partner Showcase is happening so Nintendo have more time to figure out first party plans for 2024. Luigi's Mansion 2 and Paper Mario are probably ready to slot in to the April through July period.

If Metroid blowout is in May then either we get a Metroid Direct in May like Mario was supposed to get in April 2020 or we get a General Direct in May

Shit, with switch 2 in 2025 I had forgotten that there is a Partner next week. Life doesn't give a break.

It's time to give in Nintendo, gives us everything you been denying us, give us them delicious ports and game boy color games hmmmmmm

Nintendo's new 2024:

April: Nothing
June: Metroid Prime 2/3
July: The Legend of Zelda: Wind Waker HD / Twilight Princess HD
August: Star Fox something
September: Paper Mario Thousand Year Door
October: Mario Party Superstars 2, Metroid Prime 4
November: Pokémon soemthing
December: F-Zero GX Remake

forgetting FE4 remake

i mean it doesn't have to be anything super big. some zelda ports, a fire emblem announcement and a luigi's mansion 2hd /ttyd release date trailers are enough for a direct
We can add Prime 2 and 3, a hagi port of DKCR and Luigi's Mansion 1, and a Pokémon game for the end of the year. But will all this be enough to sell consoles while we wait for the next hardware?

2036: Arlo is now deputy general manager of Nintendo EPD.

I think that if the need arises, they can move quickly. Even if it means releasing only one of the two games, for example. And don't forget, on the subject of adaptations, that both games exist on Gamecube for the controls, and on Wii U for the HD assets, which simplifies the work.

I love the way you think! Swap April and September and we’re good ;)

So… do we think Nintendo’s doing a Direct with first-party before June or nope? X)

we went from 2023 has been the best last year for a Nintendo console ever to 2024 will be a classic awful final year for a Nintendo console

OK so let’s say there’s a Partner Showcase next week. What could show up there to make it a good show for you? I’ve actually got a number of third(-ish) party games I’d love to see there, like:

Shin Megami Tensei IV + Apocalypse Ports/Remasters

F-Zero GX Remaster (it’s a Sega game!)

Yakuza 0

Hi-Fi Rush

Pentiment

Game Center CX Retro Game Master 1 + 2 Replay

That Goodfeel Not-Goemon Game the title of which I will never remember

Dragon Quest 3 HD2D Remake
My dude, if this was the Partner Direct, it'd be even better than a General to me lol

These past few days and hours have been a whirlwind of news and speculation and weird delays. On one hand, this changes very little for me, since I mostly just want FE4R confirmed and with a solid release date (I still think that will be in July) and I won't even get a Switch 2 until a game that I really want, like a Pokemon game or an FE game, is exclusive to the system. (...or until my friends pressure me to get it, but that's probably not as likely. There are enough of us that will get the system early enough where we can all play.)

On the other hand, I really have to question when these changes were decided, because it seems clear to us that Nintendo has enough announcements for a General Direct, especially if the Switch 2 is farther out than expected.* If the decisions made were pretty recent, then it's understandable to a large degree. The farther out the decisions were made, the less understandable it becomes IMO. We may never know, and that's alright too. At the end of the day, this has been a weird month of speculation for sure!

*Which isn't a fact, just speculation at this point.

I think Nintendo will be less concerned with finding ways to sell more Switches and more interested in finding ways to keep the audience engaged while simultaneously protecting their revenue stream and profit margin. That's why I'd expect a Selects range in some form, perhaps more Hagi ports, and perhaps those things get built into NSO somehow. Switch is reaching the upper limits of historic hardware sales, and might well become the record holder, so I'd expect audience engagement to take priority.

Basically, get ready for a lot of Old Stuff and if we're lucky some Discounted Stuff.

I think the last 48 hours have been the most chaotic ever for this forum lol. Partner Showcase canceled, wait no it was just delayed to next week, and the Switch 2 is also delayed, oh yeah and four Xbox games are coming to Switch. Wtf is happening?!

For God's sake, please, yes! Personally, I'd put Prime 2 and 3 in April if they're ready, and Donkey Kong Wii in June.

I don’t need to work in the game industry to tell you they can probably just put Xenoblade X in the game making machine, hit the big red port button, and release it on Switch in a couple months

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom