• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

StarTopic Nintendo Direct Speculation |ST6| It’s Prime Time For Some More Wonderful Speculation! (Spoiler Crowd, Remain In This Thread Until The Direct Ends!)

What Metroid Prime Games Are Showing Up At The Next Nintendo Direct?

• Metroid Prime 4! I #trusttheprocess.

• Metroid Prime 2! I #trusttheprocess.

• Metroid Prime 2 and 3! I #trusttheprocess.

• Metroid Prime 2 and 4! I #trusttheprocess.

• Metroid Prime 2, 3, and 4! I #trusttheprocess.

• No Numbered Games, But Something New And / Or Cool! I #trusttheprocess.

• I #trusttheprocess, but it will test us with nothing for now.

• The process has forsaken us and I have forsaken it.

• Only Metroid Prime Federation Force HD For Some Reason.

• Just A Random JPEG Of Sylux In HD.

• Nothing, Not Even Metroid Prime Pinball. Crocomire Is Still Dead. Just Endless Despair.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The Switch 2 is going to sell a trillion units with or without Prime 4. I think it's better to get it out on the OG Switch beforehand, and they can always do a performance upgrade for the next system.

As far as 2 and 3 go, I could see them happening next week, next year, or even years from now, it's impossible to say.
Switch 2 will only sell if the games warrant the sales. Very large majority of switch owners do not care about power, otherwise they would not have a switch. (Pretty much all switch owners outside more dedicated nintendo and gaming fans) They will not buy the more powerful console for the hardware, only the software only playable on the hardware

Edit: this is assuming nintendo doesn't have a new revolutionary hardware gimmick up their sleeve

I do wonder if the Switch 2 will be able to justify its existence at first, I could easily see it having a weak launch year in terms of sales.
If during launch year by christmas it has Mario Kart 9, 3d mario, and good tossup titles for outside mario audience, i think it will do well

These games need to all be above and beyond though, they cant feel replacable by predecessors on switch 1. Such as Mario Kart 9, if they try to launch it with 48 tracks instead of 96, it's just going to look lame next to mario kart 8, having half the tracks. Or if they try and fail a new physics engine too different from mario kart 8. 3d mario needs to clearly be ahead of mario odyssey, it can't even be debatable which is more impressive, especially if it's odyssey 2

The big problem is, nintendo loves to be lazy and not push the envolope too far when they're already winning, such as wii into wii u :ROFLMAO:

edit: presumably nintendo has learned from the wii u failure by now though. The new console needs to feel alive, fomo is what sells a console successor

In previous years before a September Nintendo Direct, I recall there being a lot of speculation about what console would be added to NSO next. I haven't been following the discussion on here closely, but am I correct in thinking this topic has been mostly quiet?

If so, I share this perspective. I figure the addition of GB, GBC, and GBA earlier this year is probably why people aren't expecting anything so soon. Plus, I think these were the last rumored/leaked console additions and there's nothing awaiting an official announcement. But also, the reason I'm commenting on this at all is the Game Boy systems are the last systems I felt were safe bets for NSO, at least on Switch. In general, I expect the NSO updates to be fairly standard game additions until Switch 2, so I don't think I'm expecting any new system announcements for the next year or more. I think they're possible, but my feeling is we've left "it's a matter of when, not if" territory.

At most, perhaps I could see some kind of DLC being added to the Expansion Pass. I can't think of any good candidates right now, but maybe if something is coming for Smash that doesn't involve external licensing rights, that could be a new addition. Over the course of the next Direct (next week?) and the ones that follow, it'll be interesting to see how Nintendo continues to sell the value of their services and entice new customers.

I do wonder if the Switch 2 will be able to justify its existence at first, I could easily see it having a weak launch year in terms of sales.
Nah, I don't really think the era of volatile Nintendo interest is here to stay anymore. Nintendo is too smart for that, but most importantly, their internal development teams are better than ever, their partner teams are (for the most part) better than ever, and their IP portfolio is better than ever, and it's all on one platform.

The major problem with Nintendo's consoles in the past has always been split resources or an image issue, neither of which Nintendo have now.

The big problem is, nintendo loves to be lazy and not push the envolope too far when they're already winning, such as wii into wii u :ROFLMAO:
Nintendo definitely doesn't love to be lazy anymore though for their bigger tentpole releases. They've realized that taking the time to make a product that's seen as an essential release is much better than making consistent releases that don't grow the brand or maintain an image of prestige. Just look at how they're treating Wonder compared to NSMB. That would have been the easiest game to be "lazy" about, and it would have still sold well just because the last one was so long ago. But they didn't do that because they know that's bad long term.

If during launch year by christmas it has Mario Kart 9, 3d mario, and good tossup titles for outside mario audience, i think it will do well

These games need to all be above and beyond though, they cant feel replacable by predecessors on switch 1. Such as Mario Kart 9, if they try to launch it with 48 tracks instead of 96, it's just going to look lame next to mario kart 8, having half the tracks. Or if they try and fail a new physics engine too different from mario kart 8. 3d mario needs to clearly be ahead of mario odyssey, it can't even be debatable which is more impressive, especially if it's odyssey 2

edit: presumably nintendo has learned from the wii u failure by now though. The new console needs to feel alive, fomo is what sells a console successor
It'd be tragic if Nintendo releases a system that should finally have a bit of power to it and then it's another Wii U situation.

In previous years before a September Nintendo Direct, I recall there being a lot of speculation about what console would be added to NSO next. I haven't been following the discussion on here closely, but am I correct in thinking this topic has been mostly quiet?

If so, I share this perspective. I figure the addition of GB, GBC, and GBA earlier this year is probably why people aren't expecting anything so soon. Plus, I think these were the last rumored/leaked console additions and there's nothing awaiting an official announcement. But also, the reason I'm commenting on this at all is the Game Boy systems are the last systems I felt were safe bets for NSO, at least on Switch. In general, I expect the NSO updates to be fairly standard game additions until Switch 2, so I don't think I'm expecting any new system announcements for the next year or more. I think they're possible, but my feeling is we've left "it's a matter of when, not if" territory.

At most, perhaps I could see some kind of DLC being added to the Expansion Pass. I can't think of any good candidates right now, but maybe if something is coming for Smash that doesn't involve external licensing rights, that could be a new addition. Over the course of the next Direct (next week?) and the ones that follow, it'll be interesting to see how Nintendo continues to sell the value of their services and entice new customers.
Ds is the only possible, gamecube won't be anytime soon. They love milking that cow for juicy full price cheaply made remasters too much

Nah, I don't really think the era of volatile Nintendo interest is here to stay anymore. Nintendo is too smart for that, but most importantly, their internal development teams are better than ever, their partner teams are (for the most part) better than ever, and their IP portfolio is better than ever, and it's all on one platform.

The major problem with Nintendo's consoles in the past has always been split resources or an image issue, neither of which Nintendo have now.

Nintendo definitely doesn't love to be lazy anymore though for their bigger tentpole releases. They've realized that taking the time to make a product that's seen as an essential release is much better than making consistent releases that don't grow the brand or maintain an image of prestige. Just look at how they're treating Wonder compared to NSMB. That would have been the easiest game to be "lazy" about, and it would have still sold well just because the last one was so long ago. But they didn't do that because they know that's bad long term.
Completely true i agree. The fact they got switch still selling near prime numbers this year speaks to this

Nintendo just took long to adapt to social media word of mouth taking precedence, where before social media at forefront it was just most casual if you played it at a friends house you got your own. People online going to be far more critical and call out nintendo where they're lacking, as the word of mouth comes from a pyramid point at the top from those who have most experience with the topic, instead of just your casual ass friend you played wii sports with

Also consoles and games so much more expensive now, people are going to need a very good reason to buy. You could pick up a wii and wii sports after playing at your friends house for damn near the price as a pair of joycons now. The consumer needs something they just cant miss out on, and every word of mouth they hear reaffirms they will get that experience if they buy

Nintendo knows this now, that's why the flagship games keep pushing the envelope, not to slobber their clobber or anything

But i can not wait for wonder it looks incredible 🙏 🍆 💦 🤤

unless no backwards compatibility and no 3D Mario at launch, not happening
backwards compatibility confirmed from leaks if you trust them, but they pretty trustworthy. Nintendo also just not insane they wouldn't exclude backwards compatibility

Pyoro 🐐 when are we getting zero suit king k rool in smash i want to king k drool all over some meat

Edit: look up king k rool rule 34 you wont regret it
lisa.jpg

Aw man. As much as is really respect them saying “we done everything we wanted” I can’t help but be really disappointed.
Would have loved at least a master mode update. And Kass is so obviously and weirdly missing.
But it is what it is sadly.

Our First Legendary Speculator Falls + Mystery Avatar Bet Theme Revealed!
Sorry for the extended delay as yesterday was personally incredibly busy for me on multiple fronts, but yes early yesterday morning our first challenger for THE LEGENDARY SPECULATOR CHALLENGE @smoothies put both their avatar and title on the line for a shot to go down in Fami history as a Legendary Speculator by predicting a Direct would be announced at 6:00 AM yesterday morning for today at 6:00 AM. While the jury is still technically out on today, by missing their announcement prediction as a Courageous challenger they have lost the bet so the time has come to hand out a new avatar and a choice of titles that they will wear for now until one month out from the ultimate September Direct date.

So here you are smoothies!

53154371744_3235d439f9_n.jpg

Yes the mystery theme of the losing avatars is Magia Record themed like my own avatar haha. I picked this theme for three reasons: I love Magia Record, I had 50 potentially unique character art pieces on hand as a result from characters I pulled in the game (it was a gacha game), and everyone should know quickly what thread exactly you lost an avatar bet in.

Since our challenger pool was a good size, I did hand pick each avatar from the ones I had available so in your case smoothies I saw you had a Kapp'n avatar so I gave you Rena Minami whose attacks have a water element attached. Since you were first, you got one of my favorite characters too :)

You have three choices for custom titles for whichever flavor of fun speaks to you:

Fami's #1 Rena Minami Fan!
Magical Girls <3
I Lost The Legendary Speculator Challenge

Good luck to the remaining 13 challengers! Up next is @Marce-chan who picked a Direct announcement time for this Saturday at 7:00 AM for a show airing on Wednesday September 13th at 3:00 PM. It's a bold prediction for sure so good luck to you!

I did a few small updates to the OP including linking our thread here that Zelda Tears of the Kingdom will not have DLC.

Good grief, can anyone put me up to date on why this thread has had 14 new pages since my last post?

What the hell happened here while I was asleep o_O

Nintendo's gonna haveta start numbering Metroid games like Evangelion movies
I've already said this about Kingdom Hearts but it applies to EVA too: When you have to resort to decimal numbers or worse, fractions, to name your sequels, you've lost control and absolutely need to seek out help.

Hopefully we are getting back on track here as we march to page 100! I feel like just this moment, I’m fully caught up today myself haha.

I’m not really surprised TOTK won’t have dlc. The game is huge af. I didn’t care for it to have dlc and preferred Nintendo moved on to the next Zelda game sooner.

Yeah that reminds me of the "Mario on Playstation" thing king zell mentioned back in the day. Eventually after nothing happened a year later, he came out and said that he never heard anything else about it, so that certainly isn't a good sign for F-Zero.

I'm completely out of the loop, do we have a date yet? Or just the usual buzz before things start happening?
Next week is the suspected timeframe with backing by two insiders. Only Pyoro mentioned the 13th.

Just got reminded Super Bomberman R2 releases next week, on the 12th/13th. This clearly means a direct with a release trailer for it is happening in either of those two days.

Can't believe i actually spent the time to read all the insanity that happened between my last post yesterday and now.

You folks need a US version of me to act as the chaperon when real EU me is out.

Even existing, Square Enix can't just overshadow Star Ocean R launching soon too... too much RPGs
Tactics in HD-2D or I'll riot

Why not ... both? Slap FF VI HD-2D on top to make it a fine three.

Give Asano ALL the good old games. (This also keeps them away from the other SQEX people that do nothing but ruining everything)

Nobody still knows who I am after all these years.

You're the state of a cloud shortly before rain.

giphy.gif

Even existing, Square Enix can't just overshadow Star Ocean R launching soon too... too much RPGs
Tactics in HD-2D or I'll riot
Square Enix and overlapping is a thing they do though. We have the Front Mission 2 remake in October and the Star Ocean 2 remake/remaster in November. Last year we got the Chrono Cross remaster, Live A Live remake, Tactics Ogre remaster, and Front Mission 1 remake, the latter two were literally the same month.

Square Enix is the third party I’m most interested in this Direct given their typical avalanche of releases. I think they have a good shot for a few cool games sneaking in between now and April or so in addition to the known stuff. I’m also somewhat hopeful Dragon Quest III HD-2D will finally resurface.

I head on holiday on the 16th so I'd like some tasty, scrumptuous shadowdrops to take with me and play alongside Sea of Stars, if that's not too much to ask Nintendo

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom