• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

StarTopic Nintendo Direct Speculation |ST6| It’s Prime Time For Some More Wonderful Speculation! (Spoiler Crowd, Remain In This Thread Until The Direct Ends!)

What Metroid Prime Games Are Showing Up At The Next Nintendo Direct?

• Metroid Prime 4! I #trusttheprocess.

• Metroid Prime 2! I #trusttheprocess.

• Metroid Prime 2 and 3! I #trusttheprocess.

• Metroid Prime 2 and 4! I #trusttheprocess.

• Metroid Prime 2, 3, and 4! I #trusttheprocess.

• No Numbered Games, But Something New And / Or Cool! I #trusttheprocess.

• I #trusttheprocess, but it will test us with nothing for now.

• The process has forsaken us and I have forsaken it.

• Only Metroid Prime Federation Force HD For Some Reason.

• Just A Random JPEG Of Sylux In HD.

• Nothing, Not Even Metroid Prime Pinball. Crocomire Is Still Dead. Just Endless Despair.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Spent too much time looking back at old general directs, each directs last thing was as follows (switch era only)

June 2023: Super Mario Wonder reveal
February 2023: Tears of the Kingdom gameplay trailer
September 2022: Tears of the Kingdom name reveal
February 2022: Xenoblade Chronicles 3 reveal
September 2021: Bayonetta 3 gameplay trailer
E3 2021: BotW Sequel sky reveal
February 2021: Splatoon 3 reveal
March 2020 Mini: Sword/Shield dlc part 1 overview
September 2019: Xenoblade Definitive Edition reveal
E3 2019: BotW sequel reveal
February 2019: Links Awakening remake reveal
September 2018: Animal Crossing Switch reveal
E3 2018: Smash Ultimate deep dive (specifically the Ridley reveal was the last thing shown)
March 2018: Smash Switch reveal
January Mini 2018: Dark Souls Remaster reveal
September 2017: Mario Odyssey overview
E3 2017: Odyssey gameplay trailer (or Samus Returns in the treehouse)
April 2017: Splatoon 2 overview
Switch Event January 2017: BotW launch date reveal
I feel like its time for Metroid Prime 4. Then maybe shadowdrop Prime 2 and 3 remastered while we wait(I still have to try Prime 1 sometime :0)

I was reminded today that Star Wars: Hunters is a game that was announced years ago in a Nintendo Direct that has yet to release. It also showed up at an Apple event before. It's supposed to release in 2023. I could see that showing up with a release date for Switch in a September Nintendo Direct, even if only in a montage. Then again, Zynga was named in Bloomberg's 2021 report about a 4K Switch, so maybe Nintendo cooled on promoting the game.

Super Mario Bros. Wonder almost certainly being at Nintendo Live makes me super excited for me to arrive in Seattle
I hope you're right (even though I didn't win tickets 😭). It's not listed in Nintendo's official event plans, but that could change after the Direct. The event description also already leaves open the possibility by only mentioning two games for three challenges in the Mario Dojo area.

Spent too much time looking back at old general directs, each directs last thing was as follows (switch era only)

E3 2018: Smash Ultimate deep dive (specifically the Ridley reveal was the last thing shown)
To add onto this, and just for fun, I looked up the openers for every Switch era Direct:
April 2017: Hey! Pikmin (lol)
E3 2017: Xenoblade 2 trailer
September 2017: Pokemon Ultra Sun and Ultra Moon
January Mini 2018: The World Ends Witch You remaster
March 2018: WarioWare Gold
E3 2018: Daemon X Machina
September 2018: Luigi's Mansion 3
February 2019: Mario Maker 2
E3 2019: Hero Smash reveal
September 2019: Overwatch Switch port
March 2020 mini: Xenoblade Definitive Edition trailer
February 2021: Pyra and Mythra Smash reveal
E3 2021: Kazuya Smash reveal
September 2021: Monster Hunter Rise DLC
February 2022: Fire Emblem Warriors: Three Hopes
September 2022: Fire Emblem Engage
February 2023: Pikmin 4 trailer
June 2023: Pokemon Scarlet and Violet DLC

Yeah, uhhh... safe to say that the openers as a whole are far, far worse than the closers. A bunch of DLC, trailers for already announced games, and worst of all, an Overwatch port being used as an opener. Did Nintendo seriously intend for that to be some kind of super hype reveal lol?

Honestly didn't realize how bad openers tend to be until making this list. For as much flak as the September 2022 "Farm Direct" gets, I feel like revealing a brand new mainline FE as the opener kinda means it has one of the best openers of the entire Switch era by default given how bad most openers are. If that FE4 remake opens this year's September Direct, it'll be the GOAT Direct opener as far as I'm concerned.... Not that that's particularly hard to accomplish lol.

This made me realize how big the closers usually are. Almost every time, it's been either a brand new game reveal or a major look at a game we've been waiting to see for a long time.

The latter is what I'm hoping for in September...

Ugh why is he saying if something is happening with the Smash Bros series? Did he read this topic or hear something. I haven’t been able to watch it yet…remember he gets inside info too

TLDW: he's heard whispers of Nintendo revisiting smash with Sora Amiibo and possible more DLC. his sources that he feels very confident about say new hardware 2024

you know if the direct is really on the thirteenth then that would mean that Pyoro might be someone or know someone who works directly at Nintendo and not just looking at youtube videos early

Smash ultimate deluxe with FP1&2 at switch 2 launch + FP3 reveal when switch 2 has a big presentation isn’t the most outlandish thing in the world

But man, I wish smash discourse would take one more year off. We’ve technically had it from June 2013-October 2021. A little more breathing room is okay

Ugh why is he saying if something is happening with the Smash Bros series? Did he read this topic or hear something. I haven’t been able to watch it yet…remember he gets inside info too

Looking at the video it seems someone made a copy/paste of the post from a few pages and dropped it on his Discord.

The games were mostly speculation, but he did say he had sources for new hardware next year.

I started researching the restocks and Sora Amiibo in a smaller discord server that then got sent to his bigger one, and those points got pinned in their leaks channel, and those are the ones he is recapping.
He has said he heard something more happening with "Smash Ultimate" in July, which the source says the report goes back to June 2023 ("about a month ago" from July would be June), but he didn't bring that up in the video.
A thing to note is that the info goes back to before the restocks and Sora Amiibo claim, which is really interesting to me.
d7a142b42ae9e7a5bb995b4a0e94ce44.png

I will say if this doesn't end up panning out, do not discredit nor demean him. He gets a lot of information from a lot of different people, and not all of them have the same track record. As they said in the message, it was very much just a "Rumor."

Looking at the video it seems someone made a copy/paste of the post from a few pages and dropped it on his Discord.

The games were mostly speculation, but he did say he had sources for new hardware next year.
this is why people need to start using those members only viewable spoiler tags when they got something big or people on other platforms are going to steal it and some even make videos on it.

I'm baffled because I feel like a many good games came out this year so far.
This year I've played the most on my Switch except for the year I purchased my Switch in (which is 2020).

So many good games came out that I like.
For example, I've played Tears of the Kingdom and Octopath Traveler II this year.
I still have to start on some games that came out in the past 12 months and that I still want to try, for example Chained Echoes, Advance Wars 1+2 and Sea of Stars (which released yesterday, it looks good and has great reviews!).
And of course I have a backlog from last year, for example Mario + Rabbids Sparks of Hope, Live A Live and LEGO Star Wars The Skywalker Saga.

I think the output of new games on the Switch is great this year.
Oh, the year has been solid generally speaking, however, I'm not a Fire Emblem fan (I wish I was), a Pikmin fan (Just not my cup of tea) and for some reason, I just lost interest in TOTK early on. I know why people love the game, but I just wasn't having fun with it, which is weird when I beat BOTW (Only Zelda game I beat as prior to BOTW, the Zelda formula just wasn't for me)

Though, it took me two times to beat BOTW, I think I might need to give TOTK another shot. I think it was just bad timing for me.

Although, the rest of the year is looking solid with S/V DLC, Mario RPG, Mario Wonder and possibly Dragon Quest Dai if time permits.

Yeah that's weird but ok I guess, everyone have their preferences. I beat Bayonetta Origins last week and really enjoyed it. So far my only disappointment of the year is FE Engage.
I wanted to like Bayonetta Origins, but playing the "demo" in Bayo 3, I knew I wouldn't enjoy the game very much. That type of game isn't for me, and I love Bayonetta.

image.png

This update is when the team "disbanded." They also added Amiibo support for Min Min through Kazuya. They had no reason to leave out the Sora Amiibo code in this update, and they had no reason to leave out the announcement of the Sora Amiibo unless they wanted it to tie into something.
(I addressed it in this post somewhere.)
The theory is that since the team disbanded, they wouldn't even be able to come back to patch in a Sora Amiibo unless they're either working on a big content patch to justify getting team members and using resources to go back into the game, or they're working on a new game, and them updating it will tell us the team is probably back together if it doesn't connect to anything.
The restocks suggest this thing will also be released this year since it's in waves. As I said in the big post, it being in waves has connected to big software drops.

Last edited:
As someone who doesn't play Smash but really enjoys trailers I gotta say I'd be down for a third Fighters Pass just for the hype of it 😅

Nintendo employee: sir the Mario Kart 8 DLC is almost finished what do we hype the fan base now?

Nintendo boss: Release the fighter pass 3

Pardon me for guessing some random third-party remasters that may (or may not) appear in the Direct...

Final Fantasy Type-0
Vagrant Story
Zack & Wiki: Quest for Barbaros' Treasure
Fragile Dreams: Farewell Ruins of the Moon
The Last Story

Don't mind me.

Hello! I'm not super sure where this belongs, though since this relates to Nintendo Directs and announcements/releases happening in the near future, I thought this would fit here.
Since late July, I've been looking into Amiibo, Amiibo restocks, and the connections they have to their announcements and reveals, and I wanted to present what I've found so far and what it has related to so I can get some possible feedback on my research (I've mostly been researching this in more closed off Discord communities, so I've been trying to reach out to others without a general bias to see if they think this has much ground).
This is going to be a bit long, though there is a lot to say on the matter. I'll provide a TLDR at the end.

----
  • On July 25th, there was a massive Greece retailer who listed a bunch of Amiibo restocks happening.
    (Source)

image.png

The first 2 waves relate to Smash Brothers, the first wave being on August 28th, and the second wave being on November 10th, Rosalina and Boo (SMB Line) were restocked on August 28th, and Wedding Mario, Peach, and Bowser, Samus (Metroid Line), Wolf Link, Archer Link, and Links Awakening Link I don't have exact dates for, so I'd assume "Fall - Holiday 2023."

This stood out to me. In 2020, there was a Polish Amiibo leak that happened, and all of those restocks pointed to Nintendo announcements being made from May 2020 - February 2021.
These included...
SMB Mario: Restocked in September 2020 (SMB 35th Anniversary)
The Zelda Line: Restocked in September 2020 (Hyrule Warriors: Age of Calamity's announcement)
The Splatoon Line: Restocked in June 2020 and in February 2021 (Splatoon 2 Support coming back, Splatoon 3's announcement)
Cloud and Cloud P2: Restocked in late September 2020 (Steve's Smash reveal)
Ryu: Restocked in early September 2020 (Steve's Smash reveal)
The Pokemon Smash Line: Restocked in late November 2020 (Sephiroth's Smash reveal)

After remembering this, since the Smash line was getting restocked, I decided to look into the Amiibo restocks I could and see what I connected to, and after digging, I realized that I've looked through most, if not all, of the restocks that has happened since the Switch era, and ALL of them has connected to software announcements and releases.
I wrote a document with all of the restocks I could find.
image.png
image.png

(When the restocks happen late in the month, when the announcement happens early the next month, I just put "1 month [X]" to make it simpler.)
(The last 2 Animal Crossing ones could also just be them selling off pre-existing stock since I found those on reddit, though both posts were in early April.)
(Some of these are also rough estimates due to the exact date being unavailable and the article only referring to it happening on a specific month.)

After looking at reputable Aliexpress retailer "ArtSwift"'s account, there's a lot more than this that has connected, like Smash restocks being before Sora's reveal and before his release, alongside the Metroid Smash line being restocked alongside Metroid Dread's release.

I think I looked as much as I did due to being in part disbelief that Smash news could be happening soon due to the restocks. But I couldn't find one that wasn't related to an announcement, release, or big push for that specific brand (Mar10 day, which had a Switch Bundle of "Pick 1 out of 3 Mario games" and Bowser with the Mario Movie)
Long story short, all of the Amiibo restocks they've done are related to software announcements and releases related to the line they're restocking. It's a bit of a crazy pattern.
This means all of the restocks they're doing should also connect to stuff.
So, in this same document, I wrote down what can be concluded about the restocks, New Amiibo in general, and what the restocks could be related to.
image.png

At first thought, I assumed the Smash restocks needed to be for Nintendo Live, but on their FAQ page, they specifically say that there will be no new product announcements at the event. (Source)
Then I thought Nintendo would announce them on August 28th since that's the date they go on sale. They would have to announce them then to make sure the demand for the Amiibo is there, much like how they announced the Skyward Sword Link restock on June 20th, since that didn't directly connect to a new announcement (though it did connect to TOTK's release) (Source)
But they didn't do that. This follows the pattern of what they normally do to prep up an announcement/release to silent stock stores so there is enough Amiibo stock demand for people who are interested in using them for new software.
These restocks also aren't happening in the Americas, and they have brand new packaging, which specifically excludes the American and Canadian websites. (Source)
This is due to the fact NoA is the global center of marketing for Nintendo since it is Nintendo's biggest financial market. They hold off on having Amiibo restocked in the Americas, specifically when they want to tie it into something.
For 2 examples, they restocked Kirby's Amiibo in Japan a couple of weeks after Super Kirby Clash was announced/released, and they restocked Fire Emblem Amiibos in Australia on December 16th, the day they announced the Engage Expansion Pass at The Game Awards 2022.
(Fire Emblem Source) (Kirby Source)

Of course, despite researching this extensively, I wasn't convinced anything was happening until they didn't announce it yesterday, but today, they announced the Super Mario Bros. Wonder Direct, which directly connects with the SMB Rosalina and Boo restocks that happened on the 28th.
To me, this pretty much soft-confirms something Smash-related, software-wise, is going to happen. They've never done restocks specifically for Amiibo announcements, and speaking of which...

• On July 4th, Artswift, the Amiibo retailer I referred to earlier, said that they expect a Sora Amiibo announcement "in the near future."
    (Source)
This is probably the strongest piece of evidence relating to something Smash Brothers happening in this direct, for 5 main reasons.
1. They've never announced new Amiibo on their own during the Switch generation, especially for a 5-year-old game. It has always been announced alongside or shortly after new content, announcement, or release. The only time they've announced an Amiibo unrelated to new content day and date were Marine and Pearl, which...
  • It was announced 2 days after the Splatoon 2 Concert that happened in February, which happened on a weekend, which means they couldn't of announced it
  • The day after, we got the Splatoon 2 Starter Kit announced
  • Not even a month later, we got the Octo Expansion announced on the March 8th Direct.
(This is a good source to find when they've announced a brand new Amiibo.)
2. The Sora Amiibo wasn't announced in the Sora Sakurai presents. If they were planning on just revealing it 2 months after Pyra/Mythra's Amiibo release with nothing tied to it, why not announce it alongside everyone else?
3. The Sora Amiibo code isn't in the game, which means if they randomly announce it, they would have to go back into the game after 2 years and program the Amiibo AI and roll out the update, which isn't an easy task nor is something any company nor developer would willingly do. They updated the game to have Amiibo support from Min Min to Kazuya. If they weren't saving it for something, why not include it? It'll be a waste of resources on Nintendo to do it randomly. Sakurai said the team "disbanded" in October 2021, and they would have to come back together ONLY to patch the game with Sora Amiibo support, something very unlikely if they're not working on a new game, like how they were able to patch Sm4sh to add Cloud, Corrin, and Bayonetta Amiibo support in 2017 since they were working on Ultimate, which was after they were announced in the December 2015 Smash Presentation, due to them knowing they wouldn't have the chance to announce it sooner.
(Source on Smash Ultimate updates)
4. They've never done restocks for new Amiibo specifically. Sometimes, a release could align with a new Amiibo being announced, though there has never been a case where a game, after being dormant for years, gets a new Amiibo announced with nothing new tied to it.
5. Since Sora would have to have the Smash Ultimate branding, it is very unlikely for it to be announced alongside content for a game that isn't Ultimate.

• There is a lot more that points to something happening, though I would only like to point out a couple more things.
- They restocked the Smash Gamecube controller in Japan. The last time they did this was in January 2020, 3 weeks before Fighters Pass 2's reveal.
(Source for 2023 Restock) (Source for 2020 Restock)
-Smash Amiibo tend to be stocked, on average, 16 days from the restock to their reveal (Fatmanonice's research). 16 days from now would be September 13th, the probable date of the direct.
-The Smash Site updated, seemingly removing the Accessories page that was there (Internet Archive shows it was removed by December 2022 - April 2023)

(What the Smash site looks like since April 2023) (What the Smash site looked like before April 2023)
- Mario Kart 8 Deluxe's DLC is ending in September with its last wave, much like how they announced it the earliest they could after Sora was announced. Nintendo needs to announce DLC with content waves like how they did with Smash and Mario Kart so they can put it on their NSO service.
- Restocks happen in waves ONLY with releases (TOTK, BOTW, Fire Emblem, and Kirby). This means the content the line is for has to be released at some point this year, which means it can't be for a new game or a "port" to a newer generation.

----
This is about everything I wanted to share and have possible feedback on. Apologies for the long read, but there is so much here that points to more content for Ultimate being announced in the probable September direct. Even if we don't get anything Smash, it was fun looking into all of this, and at least we have something to use that could relate to new software.
  • TLDR:
    Amiibo restocks have historically 99% been related to upcoming Nintendo software announcements or releases. These restocks can not relate to Nintendo Live, and they weren't announced the day they went live, meaning they relate to future announcements and releases.
    Here are the upcoming restocks and what they could relate to:

-August 28th, 2023: Smash Series Restock Wave 1 [New Content Reveal?] (1 month before reveal?)
    -November 10th, 2023: Smash Series Restock Wave 2 [New Content Release?] (Same month as release?)
    -August 28th: SMB Rosalina and Boo Restock [Mario Wonder Direct]
    -Fall 2023: Wedding Mario, Peach, and Bowser Restock [Mario Wonder] (Could be same month?)
    -Fall 2023: Wolf Link, Archer Link, and Links Awakening Link [TOTK DLC/Wind Waker and Twilight Princess] (Could be same month?)
    -Fall 2023: Metroid Line Samus [Metroid Prime 4 Re-reveal] (Could be same month/1 month after?) (Can't be Prime 2 and/or 3 since they don't have Amiibo Functionality)

Sora Amiibo being expected by retailers, the Gamecube controller restocks, and the Smash site updating removing the accessories tab makes me think it's more likely we'll get something Ultimate related than not, and if they want to sell a long-running DLC pass on NSO since MK8's DLC is about to end, a Fighter's Pass 3, and putting Fighter's Pass 1 and 2 on there would be perfect.
To add on this, we know a Noah-Mio amiibo set is coming soon, and Xenoblade 3 CE recently got a random restock in europe (as in literally 2 days ago).
If FP3 is truly real I have an inkling on what the first fighter may be

Last edited:
This made me realize how big the closers usually are. Almost every time, it's been either a brand new game reveal or a major look at a game we've been waiting to see for a long time.

Makes sense why Ridley was the only Smash fighter to close a show. He's truly the only Smash fighter big enough to do so.

Yep, Nintendo knows how to end shows (most of the time). The biggest miss in recent memory I can think of was probably the Pokemon S/Sh DLC ending the Mini in 2020, but that was 2020 and understandable.

For this Direct, I think we're either getting Metroid Prime 4 or a brand new game. They're not going to end on Mario Wonder just a couple weeks after having a Wonder-specific Direct.

Smash Ultimate Fighters Pass 3 launching with Switch 2. First fighter is Geno.

Screencap this post.
Pull a MK8 deluxe is honestly the best move. Now MK9 is gonna hard though as I feel it's gonna be mid next gen.

Weekly Questions Week 4 Begins Now! + Thread Events Updates!
We are here at the start of Week 4 for the Direct Speculation thread where September finally begins and things have heated up in a big way as we are staring down the Super Mario Wonder Direct today! Sadly I won't be able to join y'all watching Mario live, but I'm super excited to see what will be revealed there and I will be adding the archive to the OP ultimately for easy access! Of course the big news here as we begin Week 4 is that any of the next three weeks of this thread could very well be our last! If we get word from insiders and leakers that we are on the eve of a Direct announcement, the second big thread event will kick off the night before so please look forward to that! But for now, a quick update on the other big thread event as we do have our first challenger with their prediction coming up for the LEGENDARY SPECULATOR CHALLENGE! If you are #teamfirstweek please lend @smoothies your energy as they are putting both their avatar and title on the line in predicting a Direct announcement on Tuesday September 5th at 6:00 AM for a Direct that will air on Wednesday September 6th at 6:00 AM (US West Coast time). I am prepared to hand out avatars for all 14 challengers, but I do hope at least one of you will win! One last announcement for the thread before moving on to our Week 4 weekly question, is that we will be getting a new poll sometime tomorrow on Friday my time so you have at least 24 hours to get your last votes in or shuffle them around.

Ok and now it's finally time for the next weekly question! With TGS approaching quickly, this question feels right to drop now!

Week 4 – What anime or licensed game would you like to see announced at the next Direct?

I'll pick two here myself, I'd love to see a Bocchi The Rock themed rhythm game (paired with a season 2 anime announcement!) and a new Star Wars Rouge Squadron game or a collection of the old ones. I'd forever like to see of course a new Magia Record console JRPG too haha. Maybe the new Madoka movie will increase the chances lol. Excited to see what y'all pick :)

Interesting that the Smash rumors are starting to pick up a bit of steam. If they end up being true, give Paraspikey as many Famicoins that the market can allow.

Honestly... All these rumblings are getting me kinda hyped, I didn't know how they could impress me at this this time, but possibly going for YET another round of Smash? Madness!

It still does seem a bit far fetched to me though, even with the amazingly done analysis of amiibo releases. It makes me think back to the time where roster discussion revolved solely around all kind of imposed patterns (that in the end didn't turn out to be correct 9/10 times)

Unpopular opinion : I hope we don't get anything on Smash Bros. We need to move on and wait for the next console.

I'd like Nintendo to concentrate on games : Super Mario Bros Wonder, Super Mario RPG, Luigi's Mansion 2, Metroid Prime 4 and why not a new Donkey Kong.

And above all, revive some old licenses like F-Zero and others. It's really time to release them and give them another chance!

Week 4 – What anime or licensed game would you like to see announced at the next Direct?
Not sure if this is what you're looking but I'd love to see a rerelease of Transfomers: Devastation. Preferably by Platinum themselves and without Activision's involvement because the latter sucks when it comes to keeping their licensed games up on stores.

Not sure if this is what you're looking but I'd love to see a rerelease of Transfomers: Devastation. Preferably by Platinum themselves and without Activision's involvement because the latter sucks when it comes to keeping their licensed games up on stores.
New games in any existing non-video game franchise are the spirit of the question, but old games coming back are cool too :) I never played that Transformers game (I think the only one I have was the one based off Armada on PS2?), but I've always heard good things!

Edit: Just to build off my first sentence a bit for everyone here, all of the discussion questions don't have to follow to the letter if we get some fun discussion out of it which is always the main goal. In my bonus hide tag answer I also wanted a new game based off a spinoff game for an anime original franchise so I might have technically broke my own prompt myself haha.

Last edited:
Well I already got my wish answered with Dragon Quest Daï, I just wished it wasn't mixing some gacha elements into the party.

Well I already got my wish answered with Dragon Quest Daï, I just wished it wasn't mixing some gacha elements into the party.
Huh hadn't heard about the gacha elements. I was just expecting you could simply play as the main characters. I was probably waiting for reviews on the Dragon Quest Dai game anyway so I definitely am curious to hear how it shakes out for how disruptive they are.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom