• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

StarTopic Nintendo Direct Speculation |ST3| Speculate Chronicles 3

WHEN

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Next Switch and BotW2 blowout are increasingly likely to go hand and hand imo
I both agree and disagree. I think that BOTW2 won't be detailed until after the Switch 2 has been revealed to some capacity, but I don't think it will be detailed alongside the Switch 2 reveal. I think the Switch 2 reveal will be its own thing (though I am assuming they may use BOTW2 in it like they used BOTW in the Switch reveal), and then BOTW2 gets its own thing to detail it, whether as part of a general Direct, or its own dedicated one, or whatever way they choose to do that.

I both agree and disagree. I think that BOTW2 won't be detailed until after the Switch 2 has been revealed to some capacity, but I don't think it will be detailed alongside the Switch 2 reveal. I think the Switch 2 reveal will be its own thing (though I am assuming they may use BOTW2 in it like they used BOTW in the Switch reveal), and then BOTW2 gets its own thing to detail it, whether as part of a general Direct, or its own dedicated one, or whatever way they choose to do that.
I can agree with that too. Basically just meant - BotW2 reveal is being held back for the switch 2. Coinciding or after

Otherwise we’d get a general that botw2 can easily carry

I hope it’s not a mini.
A mini now, after a showcase in June would be so disappointing.

If it’s a general are we expecting the announcement early then? Because if it airs early…

Well, Mini Direct or not, at this point I'm just glad there's another Direct to get hyped about. I really was bummed Nintendo didn't do an E3 direct this year.

Why not do the announcement in February then? Announcing now would destroy current switch sales for this holiday, the most profitable period. Back then there was no Wii U sales to destroy
Because as a totally new console, a new generation, it needs more lead time, and because a vague, not too detailed reveal isn't particularly going to take the wind out of Switch Holiday Sales in its sixth year (I.e., those who have waited this long to buy a Switch are not ones who will decide to hold off and buy a Switch 2 next year in any appreciable number).

This late in the year, General vs Mini really only affects how much of a sneak peek we get about 2023. It’s the difference between “mainly covering games coming out in the next 4 months with some hype bonuses that require patience” and “almost entirely covering games coming out in the 4 months.” It’s a disappointing distinction in terms of longterm hype, but our reveals for what’s coming through the holiday season stay the same regardless.

I don’t want the switch to be dead. At least make whatever else cross Gen for a couple years. It’s not that I couldn’t afford to get one, but just don’t want to as I think the switch is fine still (I’m sure I’m in the minority on this opinion).
I don’t think they’re going to just drop Switch like a hot potato. It’ll be a lengthier transition. That’s been the trend for the entire industry, moving to gentler transitions with longer “cross-gen” periods rather than complete resets.

I don’t want the switch to be dead. At least make whatever else cross Gen for a couple years. It’s not that I couldn’t afford to get one, but just don’t want to as I think the switch is fine still (I’m sure I’m in the minority on this opinion).
Yeah, I agree, and I think Nintendo does too. I think the Switch will coexist alongside the Switch 2 for a few years, and I think there are still many big Nintendo projects that will be cross-gen in this period (hell, we know Metroid and Zelda at least will be).

Switch will definitely not just die out once the Switch 2 is out (particularly since the Switch 2 will be hit by more production constraints than the Switch to begin with, owing to its more sophisticated SoC).

I don’t think they’re going to just drop Switch like a hot potato. It’ll be a lengthier transition. That’s been the trend for the entire industry, moving to gentler transitions with longer “cross-gen” periods rather than complete resets.
I’m sure that’s the plan. Don’t particular trust Nintendo on handling that well. Too be fair. I’ve avoided the hardware thread so have no clue what’s supposedly on the horizon.

2022 has been such a great year for Nintendo games but such a dull year for news
Look, 2022 was the year where they confirmed Persona 5 on Switch, which is something you probably remember me posting about all the way back in 2017

As far as I am concerned, this has been the single greatest year of Nintendo news of all time, ever, in this history and all other ones that exist in the infinite mists of quantum probability

Actually I think the majority opinion is that it will be cross-gen for a good while, with the Drake being marketed as "part of the Switch family" rather than a clean-break new system. I do not believe you're in the minority here.

Just saw Emily’s full post and feel like she just told us Metroid won’t be there without actually telling us Metroid won’t be there 😩 Oh Paper Mario: The Origami King was another example of a game being announced and released shortly after. Announced on Twitter in June, released a month later in July.

Right. Mini to me is, like, “here are the remasters/compilations we’re releasing over the next few months.” I know games like Clubhouse were announced in Direct Minis, but still.

That would be one way of clearly telegraphing to anyone not to expect BotW, I suppose.

I’m mostly interested in the ports/remasters/compilations so I’m fine with it being a Mini (if it is), but I would be a little worried about Game Boy NSO potentially not being there in that case.

Forgot all about the GB NSO stuff. I could see that still being in a Mini. But BoTW 2 definitely not.

They could literally just show up, say they're going to show BOTW2, say JK lawlz, fart on screen, show Metroid Prime Remastered, and I'd say it's the best Direct yet.

also i wanna point out that it's entirely possible nintendo could air a general direct at that time to put more of a gap between the direct and TGS.

Wait wait wait
But hasn’t Nate heard about the announcement?
Was it only speculation on his part (because he knew that the direct was on Tuesday) or did he explicitly heard that it will be announced today?
Plans can always change obviously, but if he heard of the announcement it can still be a general

I hope it's a General that announces the Switch 2, and then also does not have BOTW2 or Prime 4, and just has remasters.

Ultimate plot twist

Because as a totally new console, a new generation, it needs more lead time, and because a vague, not too detailed reveal isn't particularly going to take the wind out of Switch Holiday Sales in its sixth year (I.e., those who have waited this long to buy a Switch are not ones who will decide to hold off and buy a Switch 2 next year in any appreciable number).
hmm, I disagree that we'll get a vague reveal, I think the first time we hear about switch 2/pro from Nintendo will be a physical look, price, basic specs, etc. But I suppose that isn't out of the question what you propose

also i wanna point out that it's entirely possible nintendo could air a general direct at that time to put more of a gap between the direct and TGS.
This would make a lot of sense to me too. The morning slot in the US would be the night slot for Japan, which could be preferred this week.

We're definitely in uncharted waters

@Rareware I really don't know the contents of the Direct. I know when it's scheduled, but I don't have any intel on what's actually being shown.

If it’s a Mini, I think we are looking at for Nintendo:
Metroid Prime Remastered
Zelda WW and TP (which now make way more sense)

And then one of the following:
Fire Emblem
New 2D Mario
DK

None of these:
BOTW2
3D Mario
Prime 4 substantial teaser (artwork maybe still)
Mario Movie Stuff

If this is a mini, at least it will be better than that time I was up at like 1 AM to watch that Capcom livestream at TGS where they revealed absolutely nothing but branded it like a new ace attorney would be shown.

Its also about time for another look at Bayo 3.

Very soon.

Wait wait wait
Was it only speculation on his part (because he knew that the direct was on Tuesday) or did he explicitly heard that it will be announced today?
Plans can always change obviously, but if he heard of the announcement it can still be a general

I knew it was on Tuesday. They are announced the day prior -- unless a Mini -- hence a Monday announcement.

Tuesday US / Wednesday JP is already an abnormal date for a direct; consider the possibility of the time also being abnormal to put it further ahead of TGS.

Don't worry, while 2022 is often considered to be a disappointing retread of the original, I hear 2023 will break new ground and be terrible in all new ways
Yeah I hear that’s the trajectory of the Breath of the Wild trilogy too.

hmm, I disagree that we'll get a vague reveal, I think the first time we hear about switch 2/pro from Nintendo will be a physical look, price, basic specs, etc. But I suppose that isn't out of the question what you propose
When I say vague, I mean more along the lines of the Switch's October 2016 reveal. Compared to the far more detailed reveal it then got in January 2017.

So basically yes I agree, the Switch 2/Pro reveal will include the look and basic specs (not price though, that will be announced later and closer to launch as with all consoles). I also do not think that announcement will be enough to dissuade Holiday buyers this year though.

Wait wait wait
Maybe he just assumed it would be a General Direct.

I just don't understand why Nintendo would have a Direct of any kind right now that includes first party titles, release Metroid Prime remakester this holiday, and not show the game in this upcoming presentation - Mini or otherwise. Really hope Prime shows up!

A mini also 100% writes off BOTW 2. It's wild how it now feels somewhat unreasonable to predict a remaster launching this holiday and a decent trailer for a game that was announced over three years ago.

Actually I think the majority opinion is that it will be cross-gen for a good while, with the Drake being marketed as "part of the Switch family" rather than a clean-break new system. I do not believe you're in the minority here.
I genuinely would not be surprised in the slightest if the current Switch (the Lite at least, but potentially a larger hybrid model too) was sold for basically the entirety of the “Switch Series 2” life, being discontinued only when the “Switch Series 3” comes out, at which point a die-shrunk, cut-down version the Switch Series 2 would replace it as the low end model.

That’s not that different from how the non-New 2DS continued to be sold for years after the New 3DS/XL came out, only finally being replaced by a New 2DS XL (which basically replaced the whole 3DS line) after the Switch came out.

I meaaaan... even if it is a mini, Emily said in her earlier post that she thinks the new FE has the likeliest chance of showing up sooo... I'm still happy as long as that happens lol. And Nate seemed pretty confident in a Monday announcement, and Nintendo gave a heads-up announcement for the last Partner Direct, so I think we'll still get a Monday announcement for a Tuesday Direct regardless of what kind of Direct it is.

And yeah, it could be a normal general that is earlier in the day for the same reason the Direct itself is earlier in the week i.e. because of TGS.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom