• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

StarTopic Nintendo Direct Speculation |ST3| Speculate Chronicles 3

WHEN

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
so sort of like the New 3DS? I'm not sure why we're looking to a different market for comparison if it's that simple
I think GBC is probably the best comparison from what I can see. In many ways the GBC was a pro/new 3ds of it's day, however the system got a lot more exclusives alongside many games that were compatible with both GB and GBC. It's form and controls were virtually identical to the old gb, but developers has the option of choosing to make games exclusively for the more powerful hardware or ones that work with the old hardware and got a boost on the better one. A blurring of the lines between a whole new hardware generation vs a significant upgrade.

Did I sleep through a tease? Why are we expecting specifically Tuesday next week, rather than Wednesday or Thursday? Because I have off Tuesday and I don't want to get my hopes up too soon that I'll be able to watch it live.

Why is there a sense that it's next week? Did someone say something? Or is it just an educated guess based on patterns?
We've had multiple teases for next week, yes. And patterns suggest it will happen before TGS like it does basically every year, where TGS starts on Thursday of next week. If the Direct is Wednesday in NA then it'll be after TGS starts in Japan.

So Tuesday feels like the most likely slot based on all of this.

I'm literally dreaming of Direct's and Metroid Prime announcements. Seriously that's gotta be the longest week ever lol.

Hoping to finally see Diddy Kong Racing and Banjo Tooie mentioned to be coming to N64 NSO. DKR being available to a modern audience would be something.

Did I sleep through a tease? Why are we expecting specifically Tuesday next week, rather than Wednesday or Thursday? Because I have off Tuesday and I don't want to get my hopes up too soon that I'll be able to watch it live.

We've had multiple teases for next week, yes. And patterns suggest it will happen before TGS like it does basically every year, where TGS starts on Thursday of next week. If the Direct is Wednesday in NA then it'll be after TGS starts in Japan.

So Tuesday feels like the most likely slot based on all of this.
Yeah this, Tuesday Direct, with a Monday announcement is the most likely scenario.

Re: Joycons, I hope if Nintendo does upgrade the sticks with those light sensors or whatever it is that effectively negates drift, I hope they're simply little components that could be replaced in all existing controllers. I'd be more than happy to send mine in to be fixed correctly and also have significantly reduced electronic waste. No need to throw out the baby with the bathwater if the new Switch intentionally maintains form factor to keep compatibility with Joycons.

To clarify, Nintendo wants to remaster/remake a lot of games, not just GameCube games. I wasn't just talking about GameCube.

And they won't all release in 2022-2023. Nintendo likes to sit on finished games and sprinkle them into gaps. Basically, the same strategy they've been doing with Wii U ports since Switch's launch. So nothing has really changed. The only difference is Nintendo running out of Wii U games to re-release.

From Link's Awakening to 3D Mario All Stars, Nintendo is very big into re-selling nostalgia right now.
Out of curiosity, have any requests or suggestions of GC titles for remaking/remastering either in this thread or the Most wanted Gamecube remasters thread made you shake your head at the ridiculously low likelihood of getting remade, or have many been on the mark?

If Custom Robo ain't on the list...don't correct me. Let me die thinking it's one day around the corner 🥲

Whenever I see a new generation/pro debate for the next Switch I remind myself that we know nothing and everything is assumptions.
Depends on what you mean by "know" but at this point we actually have a ton more information than we usually would, both from usual reliable sources like Nate and irrefutable sources like the Nvidia hack.

So far everything we have refers to it as a Switch, not a new thing. None of the rumors from any dev sources indicate any new functionality, form factor or input, outside of stuff like DLSS and RT.

This of course doesn't mean there can't be anything new but the fact that we're hearing a lot of chatter and absolutely nothing pointing to it being a clean break/new gen strongly suggests it won't be one.

Nate the Gyrate

waluigi-crotch-chop.gif
Nate the... Plate

s-l500.jpg

There's no reason to believe Nintendo/3rd parties will stop supporting the original Switch that quickly if Drake is more of a GBC style revision and not a clean cut next generation. There were still original gameboy compatible games released in 2001, the same year the GBA released.

They won't stop supporting the original Switch but they will also launch Drake-exclusives much sooner than Nintendo. These two stances aren't mutually exclusive.

I quickly went through the last 7-8 pages and I saw a lot of BotW2 chatter.
What's the general consensus? Will we see the game next week?
If the game is still set for next spring then yeah, but if it was internally delayed to summer 2023 or later, the i wouldnt expect to see it until some time next year

Why is there a sense that it's next week? Did someone say something? Or is it just an educated guess based on patterns?

Because that’s the week Grubb said it would be. September 13th or 14th. So honestly… Grubb, Nate, and Emily’s track records are so astounding, it might as well be coming directly from the company itself. No reason to ever doubt them so far, imo.

Because that’s the week Grubb said it would be. September 13th or 14th. So honestly… Grubb, Nate, and Emily’s track records are so astounding, it might as well be coming directly from the company itself. No reason to ever doubt them so far, imo.
Thank you! Didn't know about Jeff saying it'd be next week. And yeah, I also have no reason to doubt their track records from everything I've seen the last few years!

I’m just hoping for Metroid prime, fire emblem , Zelda, maybe F Zero is Nate is right about that.

Either way, gives me something to look forward to
If we get Prime HD, Zelda ports, BOTW 2, and one more surprise (Fire Emblem, F-Zero, another remaster, DK), it's a pretty awesome direct for me. If we happen to get two additional announcements - like FE and DK, FE and F-Zero, etc.) on top of Prime, WW/TP HD, and BOTW 2, I'd consider it stellar for my personal tastes. And third party has the chance to be pretty strong here too.

Another example: Nintendo convinced Square Enix to remake Live-A-Live, a 1994 SNES RPG.
Just to clarify, are we sure Nintendo convinced them? I was fairly certain what we heard was Nintendo reached out them about putting the game on NSO, and Square decided to remake it instead.

The producer however doesn't clarify on who's idea it ultimately was. Just that Nintendo originally reached out to put the game on NSO, not to remake it. That sort of feels like a conversation starter, but someone had to have the idea. Not sure if Nintendo was the one.

If we get Prime HD, Zelda ports, BOTW 2, and one more surprise (Fire Emblem, F-Zero, another remaster, DK), it's a pretty awesome direct for me. If we happen to get two additional announcements - like FE and DK, FE and F-Zero, etc.) on top of Prime, WW/TP HD, and BOTW 2, I'd consider it stellar for my personal tastes. And third party has the chance to be pretty strong here too.

Agreed on all of that. Just been a bit down lately with the hand pain bothering me so hopefully the direct will get me excited again.

I just wish I can play something

here's my thinking:

• Splatoon 3 pushed the Direct forward
  • TGS pushed it backward to Tuesday US
  • they pretty much have to announce it Monday US

Technically it could happen on Wednesday in the west, that would be early morning Thurday in Japan, so before TGS.

But that might be too close to their third party partners.

I guess it could also be at an a-typical hour on Wednesday. Like 9am EDT, that would be 10pm JST on the 14th.

I don't remember a Direct ever being announced on a Monday.
The most obvious example is the mini direct - partner showcase in June, just a few months ago. There were a bunch of Indie showcases over the years announced on mondays, and also some game specific directs, though the last full-phat general direct announced on a monday was 2017 (there were actually two that year announced on mondays)

I think it's safe to assume that it will be some time on the 13th or 14th. We are in uncharted territory in terms of announcement timing or what time it will air but it should be on one of those days.

Hopefully it's a full general.

While we wait for next week, what are everyone's favorite and least favorite directs during the Switch Era?

Best
  • E3 2019
  • September 2018
  • E3 2021

Worst
  • April 2017
  • September 2019
  • September 2017
Assuming that we are skipping game specific and partner directs

Best
  • Feb 2019- Zelda, Astrial, Tetris. You can't go wrong
  • September 2018- When you start with Luigi's Mansion and end with Animal Crossing, you have done a good job
  • E3 2021- Five first party games annouced. FIVE

Worst
  • March 2020- I get it that this was early in Covid, but they should have snuck Paper Mario in there some how. That direct had nothing new.
  • September 2019- The only thing notable announced was a Xenoblade Chronicles DE.

They won't stop supporting the original Switch but they will also launch Drake-exclusives much sooner than Nintendo. These two stances aren't mutually exclusive.
This. I'm pretty sure that by the time Drake is out Capcom, for example, will still put compilations of old games and maybe some mid-budget new game on the og Switch, but at the same time I'm almost certain that the second they got their hands on a Drake devkit the first thing they did was look into running RE VII, Village and the REmakes on it.

I think it's safe to assume that it will be some time on the 13th or 14th. We are in uncharted territory in terms of announcement timing or what time it will air but it should be on one of those days.

I’m hoping for a private direct, one that’s private on their YouTube channel

Oh, I know, I’m just wondering if they they expect WayForward to make future AW (co-developed with Intelligent Systems perhaps) if Re-Boot Camp turns out to be successful. Remaking games in dead series just for a temporary hit of nostalgia seems a bit wasteful.
I think it'll simply be a case by case basis. If Advance Wars is successful, and if both Intelligent Systems and WayForward are willing to keep working together on it, then I think Nintendo would be happy to keep going.

We might look at Grezzo as well as MercurySteam here. Samus Returns to Dread is the one everybody cites, but the Ocarina and Majora's Mask remasters led to Grezzo co-developing Triforce Heroes, developing Ever Oasis as a Nintendo IP, and remaking Link's Awakening and porting Miitopia. Success with Zelda led to further Zelda work for Grezzo, but the partnership with Nintendo also moved outside that (be interesting to see what happens with Grezzo and Jet Dragon; even if that's non-Nintendo, I suspect future Zelda work will still happen).

So I think part of what Nintendo will want here will be a wider network of external affiliates. WayForward might not end up handling Advance Wars going forward, but it could easily be just the first game they make with Nintendo (insert demands for WayForward Wario Land here). If the partnerships are particularly successful, we may even see more cases like NLG, where developers become exclusive and then Nintendo subsidiaries.

they say so, just because at this point it's not this week
Next Tuesday after this exact time of the day, will be the week after

Watch it be a partner for the lols

this is splatoon 3 week , thus NCL won't have a direct during 1st party game release week
Direct could be later this month or first week in Oct as there's nintendo live event in Japan during Oct 9th to 10th

It doesn’t matter what kind of presentation they are broadcasting next week.

As long as it features a 2-2:30 minute Zelda BOTW sequel trailer, revealing its real name, it will exceed all expectations.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom