• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

Discussion Most wanted Gamecube remasters

YolkFolk

Tingle
There’s a lot of talk at the moment about Nintendo wanting to put out remasters of classic Gamecube games.

Do you have a top 3 or 5 list of these first party games you’d love to see on Switch and is there anything you’d like to see added or adjusted?

nintendo-gamecube-models-sm.jpg

Last edited:
F-Zero GX is my #1, simply because the series hasn't seen an entry in so long.

Luigi's Mansion would be really cool and I think a collection of 1 and 2 would make sense, especially since 3 sold 11 million copies.

And of course all the Metroid Prime games, just to have 1-3 on the same system as 4.

Fire Emblem Path of Radiance tops my list. Couldn't finish it on GCN, I'd like another opportunity. It was tough as nails.

Starfox Assault (with online multiplayer), Chibi-Robo and Pokémon Xd Gale of Darkness are the other GCN turtles I wanna see in full HD wide screen.

S-tier desire: Prime 2, Eternal Darkness and Skies of Arcadia.
A-tier desire: OG Pikmin, Wave Race: Blue Storm and F-Zero GX.
B-tier desire: Odama.

My other favourites has already been remastered (WWHD/TPHD, Super Mario Sunshine, Luigi's Mansion, Beyond Good & Evil, Final Fantasy: Crystal Chronicles, counting Prime 1 too) or been eclipsed by its superiors (Melee, Animal Crossing)

EDIT: Forgot Star Fox Adventures. Would slot into A-tier.

Last edited:
I know it's a pretty boring, typical answer, but I mainly want what everyone else wants: Metroid Prime 1 and 2, plus Wind Waker, and Twilight Princess. I've played the Prime games, but the Zelda ones would be a completely new experience for me.

After that? Animal Crossing, Star Fox Adventures + Assault, F-Zero GX, and Eternal Darkness: Sanity's Requiem would all be very much welcome.

Growing up, I never owned a GameCube. My dad got me a PlayStation 2 for Christmas, which was a phenomenal system, of course, but I always felt like I was missing out on a lot, not owning a GC as well. Thankfully, I had a GBA, but my first Nintendo home console was the Wii. I'd love the opportunity to further explore the GC's library on more recent hardware.

Two of my top 3 would have been Resident Evil 4 and Metroid Prime. Both are contenders for my top 10 games of all time, so with RE4 already on Switch, I’ll be very happy if Prime makes its way across as well, which seems all but confirmed at this point.

Wind Waker and Twilight Princess would have been contenders for my top 3 as well but they’ve already been remastered and seem destined for Switch so I won’t include those either.

1. F-Zero GX

I wouldn’t mind an easier story mode difficulty level. I’m older now and don’t always have time to ‘get good’ to the sort of level it takes to finish that mode.

2. Zelda: Four Swords Adventures

This game with 4 player online would be absolutely brilliant. Barely anyone got to try it in 4 player because of how much hardware was needed.

3. Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door

Never played it so wouldn’t mind giving it a shot.

Last edited:
One of the biggest third party releases the Cube ever got:

33574-1.jpg

I’m really into system library preservation and accessibility so I want all of them tbh.

If I had to choose though, definitely F-Zero GX. The series needs a revival, and porting the last game with enhancements on their most popular system to date could help with that.

I'm going outside of the first party zone lil bit

1. Skies of Arcadia: Legends
2. Metroid Prime
3. Paper Mario: The Thousand Doors
4. Baten Kaitos: 1+2
5. Beyond Good & Evil

Probably Chibi Robo as that's the one game I missed out on due to it being a late in the life release when the GameCube was pretty much not stocked anywhere in the UK by that point.

F-Zero GX
Eternal Darkness
Skies of Arcadia Legends
Metroid Prime
Paper Mario: TTYD
Star Fox Adventures

Oops, that's six wishes.

All of them; that's why getting individual remasters over GC NSO is kind of a loss; we lose out on the niche classics

like Mario Party 4

and Mario Party 6

and Mario Party 7

but not Mario Party 5; true Mario Party competitive players know that one sucks.

All of them; that's why getting individual remasters over GC NSO is kind of a loss; we lose out on the niche classics

like Mario Party 4

and Mario Party 6

and Mario Party 7

but not Mario Party 5; true Mario Party competitive players know that one sucks.
4 is easily the worst of the GC Mario Parties. The mini mechanic was completely trash and so were the board lay outs. The only positive MP4 had was it's minigames were excellent with like 3 of the top 5 in the series premiering in it.

Top 5 for replay purposes beyond Metroid Prime 1 and 2 and Twilight Princess and Wind Waker which seem to be happening:

Paper Mario The Thousand Year Door (absolutely fantastic game, replayed it this year and it is even better than I remembered)
Kirby Air Ride (online play)
Pikmin 2 (online play)
The Legend of Zelda Four Swords Adventures (with full online play, include a lite version like Square Enix has done to invite your friends for free)
F-Zero GX (Everything unlocked from the Start with online Multiplayer)

But we also need:

Third Party Games:
Tales of Symphonia
Rogue Squadron 2 and 3 with online play

Games I haven't played:
Fire Emblem
Baten Kaitos

There are so many GameCube games I still want beyond these, so here's hoping they bring over a ton somehow.

4 is easily the worst of the GC Mario Parties. The mini mechanic was completely trash and so were the board lay outs. The only positive MP4 had was it's minigames were excellent with like 3 of the top 5 in the series premiering in it.
Post was a joke but I can answer seriously.

I'm not personally fond of 5's board and minigame selections (some standouts but a lot of duds, real mixed bag); but I could look past that if it didn't have some of the slowest board movement speed in the series and if everything wasn't reliant on the terrible capsule mechanics that 6 and 7 (thankfully) refined with orbs. I think the highlights are probably the side modes, but those can't carry it.

I'd put 6 and 7 above 4 anyway. Board design is really weak as clearly the game was a transitional one for Hudson from a development perspective; not quite comfortable making full 3D environments for boards after relying on pre-rendered backgrounds for three games, so they went with the weird floating platforms above the actual setting. I think the risk vs reward nature of mini and mega mushrooms is interesting on paper but in practice you aren't guaranteed to have the opportunity to utlise them well; maybe a bit too situational for what is pushed as a core mechanic. Incredible minigame lineup though.

I'm not personally fond of 5's board and minigame selections (some standouts but a lot of duds, real mixed bag); but I could look past that if it didn't have some of the slowest board movement speed in the series and if everything wasn't reliant on the terrible capsule mechanics that 6 and 7 (thankfully) refined with orbs. I think the highlights are probably the side modes, but those can't carry it.

I'd put 6 and 7 above 4 anyway; board design is really weak as clearly the game was a transitional one for Hudson from a development perspective. I think the risk vs reward nature of mini and mega mushrooms is interesting on paper but in practice you aren't guaranteed to have the opportunity to utlise them well. Incredible minigame lineup though.
I can’t speak to it from a competitive perspective, but the odd numbered Mario Parties through eight (the last one I played) were my favorites. So in this case 5 and 7 were my favorites on the Gamecube, but I remember liking six a lot too. I think that’s the one that had that very cool basketball side mode.

My wihlist in declining Order:

Metroid Prime Trilogy ( counts as one)
F-Zero GX
Fire Emblem Path of Radiance/Radiant Dawn
Twilight Princess/Wind Waker/Four Swords
Paper Mario The thousand year door

Baten Kaitos 1+2
Tales of Symphonia/ Knights of Ratatosk
Star Fox Adventure
Eternal Darkess
1080 Avalanche/ Wace Race Blue Storm

1) Eternal Darkness

2) F-Zero GX

3) Fire Emblem - Path of Radiance

4) Paper Mario - The Thousand Year Door

5) Doshin the Giant

Bonus picks:

a) Metal Gear Solid - The Twin Snakes

b) Zelda Four Swords

1st party:
Fire Emblem Path of Radiance
Paper Mario TTYD
Kirby's Air Ride

3rd party:
Skies of Arcadia Legends
Baten Kaitos

I'd put 6 and 7 above 4 anyway. Board design is really weak as clearly the game was a transitional one for Hudson from a development perspective; not quite comfortable making full 3D environments for boards after relying on pre-rendered backgrounds for three games, so they went with the weird floating platforms above the actual setting. I think the risk vs reward nature of mini and mega mushrooms is interesting on paper but in practice you aren't guaranteed to have the opportunity to utlise them well; maybe a bit too situational for what is pushed as a core mechanic. Incredible minigame lineup though.
I'm not disagreeing with your issues with 5, and I agree that 6 & 7 are vastly superior to 4 & 5. MP4 has better minigames but worse boards and core mechanics, MP5 had worse minigames but better boards and core mechanics. For me the boards and core mechanics are far more important to a MP's staying power then it's minigames.

I'd personally group the games into these 3 tiers

Down to play anytime/top tier
2, 3, 6, 7, DS, Superstars

Generally willing to play/good tier
4, 5, 8, Island Tour, Star Rush, Super

Get that mess out of my face/bottom tier
1, Advance, 9, 10, Top 100

With 3, 6, and Superstars being my top 3 go to MP games.

Control-F: Skies of Arcadia Legends and Eternal Darkness

Fami, I love you!

Lost Kingdoms 1 + 2. You all know how special this series is to me, and I want it back, and I want more.

I would love to see Baten Kaitos and its prequel remastered. As well as the Viewtiful Joe duology. As for strictly first party games my top 5 would be:

• Fire Emblem: Path of Radiance
  • Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door
  • Chibi Robo
  • Pokemon XD: Gale of Darkness
  • Metroid Prime

F-Zero GX would be cool too, maybe this time I'd be able to beat the campaign. Also if Giftpia had a shot of being released outside Japan with a remaster I'd be happy to get it as well.

Prime & Echoes are definitely my most wanted ones but I'd love to have a modern way to play Chibi-Robo, Pikmin 1 and both Baten Kaitos games (if they manage to work out the annoying rights situation). I'd probably buy F-Zero GX, Animal Crossing, Eternal Darkness, Pikmin 2 and Kirby Air Ride if they are remastered but I'm not exactly fiending for them. The rest I largely don't really care for but it'd be nice to have localized versions of some of the Japanese-only games like Giftpia, Kururin Squash and Nintendo Puzzle Collection.

Bonus third party games:
Viewtiful Joe 1 & 2
Skies of Arcadia Legends
Killer7

Let's see if I can answer this within reason

• Custom Robo
    • online, widescreen HD, badabing badaboom. Amiibo would also pair really well with this game given the modular building of your robo; a chance to unlock new parts but also save your configuration and spar with not unlike Smash Bros fighters
  • Chibi Robo
    • I've only got to rent it twice from Blockbuster, but the cartoonish proportions and concept of the art style was really cute and aesthetically pleasing, and I think given a chance to see why the first game was so well received instead of all the less critically acclaimed sequels
  • F-Zero GX
    • I believe that Nintendo is seriously considering it, but if they do I hope they do it right. 8-player local wireless multiplayer, 30-player races online, and a difficulty rebalance. Granted, because this is shared with Sega, who knows if they're might me licensing issues involved
  • Starfox Adventures: Dinosaur Planet
    • Much like the above, licensing issues with Rare might pose difficulty, but I think it could still be worked through given Microsoft and Nintendo's current relationship. The CGI effects still look good, and with a bit of AI tweaking it really would stand the test of time. It was both my first Starfox AND my first Zelda game, and with dinosaurs thrown into the mix you best believe this was a game formed into a core memory growing up. Upon reflection, this game was my Origami King; absolutely no attachment to the original entries in the series and it became an all-time favourite. My ONLY wish, if it's at all possible without breaking the game...the racing sequences with speed-bikes against the sharpclaws, make them easily replayable. Oh my god they were so much fun.
  • Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door
    • Now, if the above two games had licensing issues with 3rd parties, most certainly this would conflict with Nintendo's internal Mario policies. I hope this could be released unaltered beyond widescreen and HD, but especially so no characters are altered to be all Toads and devoid of personality. But if this could release...I would be content. I'll accept the series' future is no longer for me, I just want the titles I do enjoy to be easily accessible.
      • As an aside, I do enjoy Super Paper Mario for being different in an entirely different genre. I would probably go back to it now and enjoy it a great deal more...but the entries mimicking a ghost of turn based RPG level up mechanics is like those sparkling flavoured waters that sat next to a picture of a lime or something for infused flavour. I just don't like them.

The following titles aren't in my list but I do expect them eventually (and will gladly buy them all when available)
Pikmin 1 and 2
Luigi's Mansion
WW/TP/FSA(?)

As bonus picks, EA should work some magic and bring back SSX Tricky, and Bandai Namco should release Soul Calibur 2 HD with all three guest characters.

1) Star Fox Adventures - Haven't played it, only Star Fox I haven't played and it was Rare's only Gamecube game

2) F-Zero GX - Haven't played it, kinda curious cause it's the last console game in the series

3) Chibi-Robo - Haven't played it and people won't shut up about it so I'm curious how it is

Fire Emblem Path of Radiance is at the top of my list. It undeservingly sold poorly and there's some things I want them to tweak in the game, like making Killer weapons available in the armory since it's the only FE game where it doesn't do that.

Pikmin 1+2, Wario World, F-Zero GX, Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door and Eternal Darkness: Sanity's Requiem.

If I had to limit it to five, and we assume the Metroid Prime’s and Zelda’s are already coming:

1. F-Zero GX
2. Star Fox: Assault
3. Kirby Air Ride
4. Pikmin 2
5. Pokémon Colosseum

All with online play. Thinking about it, F-Zero, Kirby, and Pikmin would probably look great with just upscaling, where as I would like to see Star Fox and Pokémon given a little more love

Some of them GameCube RPGs I never got to play (wasn’t big on RPGs as a kid because I was only allowed to play like 30 minutes a day)
I’d also like to try Eternal Darkness
Gimme them Zeldas

Skies of Arcadia Legends
Star Wars Rogue Squadron 2 & 3
Eternal Darkness
Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door

Megaman Network Transmission
Gotcha Force
Star Fox Adventures/Assault
Paper Mario:TTYD
Chibi Robo

1. F-Zero GX
2. Paper Mario: The Thousand-Year Door
3. Pikmin 1 & 2
4. Baten Kaitos 1 & 2
5. Fire Emblem: Path of Radiance + Radiant Dawn, though I would prefer a remake over a remaster.

1. Path of Radiance + Radiant Dawn
2. Paper Mario: Thousand Year Door
3. Baten Kaitos-series
4. Tales of Symphonia
5. Pokémon Colosseum and Gale of Darkness

Fire Emblem: Path of Radiance (although ideally this would be in a set with Radiant Dawn on Wii).
Skies of Arcadia: Legends
Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker
Rogue Squadron 2
Metroid Prime

First Party Top 3:

1. Metroid Prime
2. Eternal Darkness
3. Pikmin 2

Third Party Top 3:

1. Tales of Symphonia
2. Prince of Persia: Sands of Time
3. Baten Kaitos

E T E R N A L D A R K N E S S

MAY THE RATS EAT YOUR EEEEEYES

And uh Baten Kaitos

To people who are not listing Eternal Darkness, is that you haven't played the game? It is one of the system's best and am surprised it is not getting more mentions. I know if did not sell very well, but assumed more people on a dedicated Nintendo forum would have played it.

To people who are not listing Eternal Darkness, is that you haven't played the game? It is one of the system's best and am surprised it is not getting more mentions. I know if did not sell very well, but assumed more people on a dedicated Nintendo forum would have played it.
It’s one of the few horror games I enjoyed but I have no desire to play it again, especially in its current form. I also think it deserves more than a remaster, and that doesn’t seem like something Nintendo would be interested in.

F-Zero GX
Path of Radiance
P.N.03
Star Wars Rogue Squadron III: Rebel Strike (not happening but..)
Odama
Viewtiful Joe
Lost Kingdoms
Custom Robo
Kururin Squash!
Auto Modellista

From a 1st party party perspective:

Metroid Prime 1&2
Baten Kaitos & Origins(BK is kind of s grey area first party wise I suppose)
F-Zero GX
Paper Mario TTYD
Fire Emblem Path of Radiance

From a 3rd party perspective Viewtiful Joe, Skies of Arcadia, and Rogue Squadron are the main ones that stick out to me as games that should be brought to the modern era, that haven't already been remastered and re-released. Lost Kingdoms would be nice though.

In regards to Eternal Darkness, I think it needs a full reimagining/remake/reboot, rather than just a remaster. It's a cool game, but a lot about it doesn't hold up well. Wave Race Blue Storm would be neat, but not necessary if they just make a new game.

I really want Thousand Year Door playable on a modern console, but I don’t know if I want it 60 dollar bad…

Back
Top Bottom