• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

StarTopic Nintendo Direct Speculation |ST3| Speculate Chronicles 3

WHEN

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
February-Zero
john-cena-shocked.gif

Alan Wake is also scheduled for Switch this autumn, right? We'll probably hear an announcement for it before long especially if it's due (my estimate) in October

I still don't think there'd be a september Direct. Sure there are some first party games to be revealed soon but there's almost no third party ones. Both Square and Namco have super stacked lineups and Capcom's next game isn't coming out until next year. Directs are usually 80% third party and we might not have enough to fill that.

My guess would be a November Direct to focus on H1 2023.
I wouldn't really be against the idea of a meaty Partner Showcase like the June one happening in August or September, Metroid Prime Remastered being a Twitter drop, and a general Direct in November to give a launch trailer for MPR/Pokémon, maybe announce DLC for Bayonetta 3, give Breath of the Wild 2 a name and date, reveal Fire Emblem Next, show Metroid Prime 4 and maybe throw in some bombshells for 2023(next 3D Mario? DK by EPD8? F-Zero minor thing for NSO? Resident Evil Switch?).

BUT... I feel like they'll want another Direct to talk more about Bayonetta 3, give Splatoon 3 a final trailer, reveal Metroid Prime Remastered and announce Fire Emblem not so close to release. That's why I still think September Direct is happening.

But we all know August Direct would be better.

I’d guess the February direct myself. Doubt it will take over a year to release, given that Torna only took 9 months. The roadmap just reads like they’re playing it safe to me, rather than a sign that it won’t be until late 2023.

February reveal for an April/May release is my guess.
Idk if the game being pushed forward mean anything to DLC, but let's assume it did:

Game was planned to be released in September, expansion for July 2023. Now, game releases July 2022 because it was already done, but the DLC will still take the time it was meant to, so comes July 2023 still.

Tho I wouldn't really be against it being an E3 announcement for holiday 2023 and they really go insane with the expansion/new game.

So that one wizard game that I shall not name (by the way, trans rights are human rights) got a delay release date of February 10th, with the tweet specifically saying "the Nintendo Switch version launch date will be revealed soon". Possible September General Direct announcement?
Oh I sure hope not, don't want some terf bad vibes polluting my dream Nintendo Direct.

Tbh I think they'll just announce the new Switch date on Twitter and it'll be like holiday 2023 to get double dips.

Honestly... I don't think there will be enough third party games for the first half of the next year to fill a Direct either. I feel we'll get less and less if there's no Pro to improve things.

Square might have more remasters and 2DHD stuff and Namco more Encore games but that should be about it. Even Capcom is having the whole second half of 2022 with zero Switch releases so I don't think anyone is bothered enough.
I still think Resident Evil Switch is happening, and while there's no more time for a 2022 launch and RE4R is Q1 2023 already, I think we still have a shot for H2 2023. Maybe that would be more of a TGA announcement tho. Or wouldn't? Idk, MHR was a September Partner Showcase reveal, so anything is possible.

Wanted to share this

Yes, I know the game is controversial but I’m more curious why they’re waiting ti reveal tge switch version’s release date compared to the other ones. Maybe a direct reveal or the drake?

It's just because they probably won't even set the Switch date before the other versions are out. Remember Dark Souls Remastered.

Also I doubt it has anything to do with Drake, otherwise they wouldn't even have announced the Switch version before the Drake reveal if it was Drake exclusive.

They gotta announce Metroid Prime Remastered if it comes out this year and I don't think they would Twitter drop that.

The internet would explode.
I've said it before in this thread but I wouldn't really be against a Twitter reveal in August for a November release.

Tho, the way they're going is probably September Direct with them announcing it alongside a first look at Metroid Prime 4.

Either way I finished Dread and can't get enough of Metroid. Just flood me with new games, Ninty. As Arca says: salpica salpica.

Samus Returns HD port, Dread DLC/expansion/standalone, Dread 2/1.5, Fusion or hell Super remake, Prime 4, Prime Remastered, Prime 1.5 alongside Remastered, Prime multiplayer, anything, just GIVE ME METROID NINTENDO.

pros of launching Metroid in November:
- original release was November 18, 2022

cons of launching Metroid in November:
- Pokémon
Jeez I could've sworn the original was November 22nd.

But yeah, damn Pokémon took the perfect release day. Now it's probably November 11th, one week before Pokémon. I don't think Pokémon will really hurt its sales as SMT V did the same thing of releasing just the week before and managed to become the best selling in its franchise on the first month and the first to break 1m not long after it, and Dread sold quite well despite being 3 weeks before Mario Party.

I'll say this.
I might be overreacting, but IF Metroid Prime Remakester doesn't get announced this year, I will never trust a (3D) Metroid rumor ever again. I've been burned out too much now.

Unless it’s delayed again, BOTW2 can’t come out later than June 2023. So if it’s out in June, I could MAYBE see them waiting until January to show it again but even that feels too close and unlikely to me. And if it’s out any earlier than June that’s even less likely.

No matter what I think a lot of our questions about Nintendo will be answered in September, one way or another. I’m looking forward to seeing how it plays out. I still think we get a Direct before TGS, which means we’re within around 4 weeks.

I still think Resident Evil Switch is happening, and while there's no more time for a 2022 launch and RE4R is Q1 2023 already, I think we still have a shot for H2 2023. Maybe that would be more of a TGA announcement tho. Or wouldn't? Idk, MHR was a September Partner Showcase reveal, so anything is possible.
All those rumors for it turned out to be bogus though. I expect the bare minimum from Capcom moving on. More and more ROM dump collections, similar to Megaman Battle Network Collection (it doesn't even have the Star Force game, which is lame). Everyone is moving on, the base Switch is becoming old news. Nintendo needs a hardware refresh asap to keep devs interested in them. Because in Switch's case, it doesn't even have Etrian series to keep the schedule busy.

All those rumors for it turned out to be bogus though. I expect the bare minimum from Capcom moving on. More and more ROM dump collections, similar to Megaman Battle Network Collection (it doesn't even have the Star Force game, which is lame). Everyone is moving on, the base Switch is becoming old news. Nintendo needs a hardware refresh asap to keep devs interested in them. Because in Switch's case, it doesn't even have Etrian series to keep the schedule busy.
Capcom is just doing the same they have been doing during all Switch lifespan, I don’t know why people expected more from them than ports of old games, Ace Attorney, Megaman and Monster Hunter. It seems we don’t learn that most big JP 3rd publishers are not going to support Switch with big games if Nintendo doesn’t pay that was the state of Switch support back in 2018-2019 and still is now in 2022, the hardware being old doesn’t matter in this case.

I also don’t understand how you can say developers are moving away when we are seeing more dedicated Switch efforts from JP publishers in 2021-2022 than ever before.

I also don’t understand how you can say developers are moving away when we are saying more dedicated Switch efforts from JP publishers in 2021-2022 than ever.
This is a case by case situation actually. Square is still interested in AA development and invests in remastering older games more than anyone. This most likely to continue for years to come. But it's a fact that Switch is missing games more and more as the time passes, even the most logical choices like One Piece Odyssey or Soul Hackers 2.

I can't imagine how the 2023 third party will end up to be, but I suspect it won't better than 2022.

This is a case by case situation actually. Square is still interested in AA development and invests in remastering older games more than anyone. This most likely to continue for years to come. But it's a fact that Switch is missing games more and more as the time passes, even the most logical choices like One Piece Odyssey or Soul Hackers 2.

I can't imagine how the 2023 third party will end up to be, but I suspect it won't better than 2022.
Bandai Namco anime games and Atlus games skipping Switch (at least day 1) has been a common complaint during the whole Switch lifespan it is nothing new and would have happened if both games released 2/3 years earlier.

I have only seen an increase of support in the JP industry with even studios like CC2 finally adopting Switch day 1 releases and Falcom finally investing on Switch, even our favorite Switch supporter Bamco has increased the number of dedicated Switch efforts with a bigger budget Fishing Spirits game and Ultra Kaiju Monster Rancher.

Tbh, the more I think about it, the more I get the feeling that Nintendo's full plans (or 99% of them) for the year have already been posted. The shitwizard game promising news soon, and the fact that the Kirby game is dropping midway into the month is giving me the vibe that another Partner Showcase is planned for September. That means three potential things for Metroid Prime HD: 1) it got delayed out of the year somehow, 2) it's a Twitter drop, or 3) it's cancelled/it never really existed. Given a lot of contracts at Retro expired back in September last year, I think 3 is by far the least likely with 2 the most likely. At this point, I think the most we're going to get from Nintendo in terms of 1st party presentations is a Zelda Direct late September.

Metroid might be a good H1 buoy, anniversary be damned
My big worry with it being moved to 2023 is that I was a big believer of avoiding MP4 doomposting unless we heard nothing by the end of this year, and it is very unlikely we're going to hear about that game until MP1 is announced/is going to be announced immediately after, so...

Think it’s too early to say that H1 needs a buoy game like Metroid Prime HD. Fire Emblem, Zelda, XC3 Expansion, Pokémon Expansion, Mario Kart DLC, and Advance Wars would be a fantastic lineup, and that’s relatively safe all things considered. Could easily add a few extra things on top of that.

Honestly, I think the release schedule will be busy enough that no time will look “correct” on paper for Metroid, and as a result it could drop at any time.

I could see the September Direct following a similar structure to last year's September Direct. The opening is some big 3rd party game or DLC, the big mid-Direct reveal is the big Q1/March game aka mainline FE, and the final reveal is a re-reveal of a previously announced 1st party game, so BotW2. Like previous September Directs, it'll be primarily focused on 3rd party stuff, though. Prime HD can also be thrown in the Direct somewhere (personally, I don't think they're gonna do a double reveal of Prime HD and Prime 4).

I hope the next indie world has some big drops like Switch versions of Tunic, Weird West and Inscryption. We also need to see an update on Outer Worlds and Sports Story.
Man, I think about Tunic every day since playing it and completing it in May. I really love the game and I can't wait for you all to get to play it. I really encourage everyone to go in as unspoiled as possible...

I could see the September Direct following a similar structure to last year's September Direct. The opening is some big 3rd party game or DLC, the big mid-Direct reveal is the big Q1/March game aka mainline FE, and the final reveal is a re-reveal of a previously announced 1st party game, so BotW2. Like previous September Directs, it'll be primarily focused on 3rd party stuff, though. Prime HD can also be thrown in the Direct somewhere (personally, I don't think they're gonna do a double reveal of Prime HD and Prime 4).
I think they’ll continue to spread announcements out. A weekly thing seems to be the trend right now, and if they show an Indie world and/or Zelda trailer in the next few weeks, I think September Direct chances are slim.

But honestly, with the unpredictability of Nintendo right now and the hopeful hardware announcement eventually, I have no sweet clue what the hell is coming. I hope/think holiday Metroid will be shown before the end of September.

Not gonna lie, but the first Metroid Prime getting a standalone remaster is pretty meh for me (would have been way more hype as a trilogy)

Give me F-Zero GXR or Kid Icarus: Uprising Remastered

Man, I think about Tunic every day since playing it and completing it in May. I really love the game and I can't wait for you all to get to play it. I really encourage everyone to go in as unspoiled as possible...
Agreed.

My advice would be: don't read reviews, don't watch videos, and don't even click on topics about the game. More than any other game I've played, Tunic is about discovery, and that includes progression as well as basic mechanics, like saving. So try to go in as uninformed as possible.

Spitballing a September direct.
  • Spotlight: Metroid Prime HD, 2022
  • Highlights
  • Spotlight: Fire Emblem, 2023
  • Highlights
  • Spotlight: GB/GBA on NSO
  • Highlights
  • Spotlight: Mario Movie
  • Spotlight: Breath of the Wild 2
Could definitely fit another announcement in, and a lot of the first party stuff like Bayonetta or Mario + Rabbids could get their own spotlight segment as well, but this feels like a pretty safe prediction.

With both the Mario movie and Super Nintendo World Hollywood happening around April next year, I think there's a good chance of some kind of bigger Mario title in H1. Would be cool if they released a new Mario title on Mar10 Day as that actually falls on a Friday next year.

Spitballing a September direct.
  • Spotlight: Metroid Prime HD, 2022
  • Highlights
  • Spotlight: Fire Emblem, 2023
  • Highlights
  • Spotlight: GB/GBA on NSO
  • Highlights
  • Spotlight: Mario Movie
  • Spotlight: Breath of the Wild 2
Could definitely fit another announcement in, and a lot of the first party stuff like Bayonetta or Mario + Rabbids could get their own spotlight segment as well, but this feels like a pretty safe prediction.
Oh, I completely forgot that they're probably going to do NSO consoles in September. That's a big point for a Direct, but still could be a Twitter drop if Nintendo feels bold. Although they might just do GB - I think they were/are aiming for a cadence of one console added to the NSO a year, and the reason we got N64 and Genesis last year was because they skipped 2020.

With both the Mario movie and Super Nintendo World Hollywood happening around April next year, I think there's a good chance of some kind of bigger Mario title in H1. Would be cool if they released a new Mario title on Mar10 Day as that actually falls on a Friday next year.

Mar10 Day is for sales on past Mario releases. Given that BotW2 is releasing around that time (Spring), I would say Holiday 2023 would be the earliest the next 3D Mario hits

Oh, I completely forgot that they're probably going to do NSO consoles in September. That's a big point for a Direct, but still could be a Twitter drop if Nintendo feels bold. Although they might just do GB - I think they were/are aiming for a cadence of one console added to the NSO a year, and the reason we got N64 and Genesis last year was because they skipped 2020.
If they’re only doing one, I’d bet on GBA. They want as many EP subs as possible.

If they actually show footage of the Mario movie for the first time during a Direct, I really hope, in the name of peace and sanity, that they tag it as such beforehand, because imagine the absolute chaos if they don't; screen fades to black, Mario appears running around, everyone and their mother goes "Oh, shit, new 3D Mario game! FINALLY!" only to suddenly hear Chris Pratt making pop culture references in a high-pitched voice.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom