• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

StarTopic Nintendo Direct Speculation |ST2| Fami's Summer Gameguess

When will the next Direct air?

• It's going to be in May! cHaOs!

Votes: 11 4.3%
  • Patterns, man. 14th of June, 2022. The usual.

Votes: 211 81.8%
  • Nintendo will be weird again, early July.

Votes: 23 8.9%
  • Nintendo's Twitter Direct's will be the norm, Septermber 2022.

Votes: 6 2.3%
  • Geoff the Summerman will add it to Summer Gamefest

Votes: 7 2.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
I don’t think we will get any Direct next week which is weird to me since it will be an empty week but i do trust Nate he always was spot on when it comes to Direct dates.
I don't think 16th was ruled out yet, unless I missed it. But I'm expecting the following week at this point.

Giveaway: Favorite Direct memory!
Alright so yesterday when vibes were low I had an idea to lift things up in in here...

Quote reply to this message with your favorite memory of a Direct Announcement. Be specific: where were you when you were watching, how many tears did you shed, what were your Direct snacks?

I’ll randomly pick one of the (valid) replies tomorrow (Saturday) morning and gift them an eshop game of their choosing, $20 max! (or I suppose credit if a code isn't possible) Include the game you’d be hoping to grab with it in your reply to give the devs some love :)

Last edited:
Here are the next three weeks. Crossed out days that aren't likely (Let me know if I've missed something). The 16th seems possible, maybe Neon White + TMNT are dropped right after the presentation.

13th - Unlikely on a Monday
14th - "It's not the 14th"
15th - Doesn't match info

16th
17th - Unlikely on a Friday

20th - Unlikely on a Monday

21st
22nd
23rd
24th - Unlikely on a Friday

27th - Unlikely on a Monday

28th
29th
30th

Here are the next three weeks. Crossed out days that aren't likely (Let me know if I've missed something). The 16th seems possible, maybe Neon White + TMNT are dropped right after the presentation.

16th

21st
22nd
23rd

28th
29th
30th
22nd is probably out, Fire Emblem Warriors reviews will drop that day.

Alright so yesterday when vibes were low I had an idea to lift things up in in here...

Quote reply to this message with your favorite memory of a Direct Announcement. Be specific: where were you when you were watching, how many tears did you shed, what were your Direct Snacks?

I’ll pick one of the replies tomorrow (Saturday) morning and gift them an eshop game of their choosing, $20 max! Include the game you’d be hoping to grab with it in your reply to give the devs some love :)
My favourite direct announcement with forever be the 1-2 punch of Banjo in smash into BoTW. I had work at my campus job all the way up until the direct time. So as soon as it ended I sprinted out and found a seat on nice shades bench and watched the entire thing on my phone. It was a pretty good direct even before the end so I was already in a good mood before the finale.

I did in fact have to choke back a few tears seeing Banjo again. Those original games will always mean so much to me so seeing that trailer felt like a tribute to something I have long adored. It was particularly nice to see after I assumed they knocked out smash after revealing Hero (another favorite announcement). But nothing could have prepared me for Zelda. The moment I realized it was a Zelda game I was through the fucking roof. Is it DLC what is this? Then to end the spooky, mysterious trailer with a reveal of a new game!? I had to keep my cool because I was ready to absolutely go off in public I was so hyped. I have only experienced such hype when watching my favorite sports teams with huge games. That's how good that duo of announcements felt lol.

As for the gift card, I'd love to put it toward Mario strikers!

Quote reply to this message with your favorite memory of a Direct Announcement. Be specific: where were you when you were watching, how many tears did you shed, what were your Direct snacks?

I’ll pick one of the replies tomorrow (Saturday) morning and gift them an eshop game of their choosing, $20 max! (or I suppose credit if a code isn't possible) Include the game you’d be hoping to grab with it in your reply to give the devs some love :)
My favorite announcement wasn’t so much a specific game, but a series of games. And it came during a treehouse. I have said this before, but for me, the best ever announcement was when ACA Nintendo games were announced in a Treehouse Live segment. Was Day 3 I believe. I was at home and watching on YouTube on the TV because I was working at home doing report writing. I loved it so much because they brought out Don James from NOA. There were tons of great stories about how NOA stored arcade games in a warehouse in Tukwila, the early days of Nintendo coin ops, and how they used the sctusl board of one of the few remaining cabinets of Sky Skipper that was at NOA to get the ROM to make the rerelease. Just great history and glad they could work in a long time employee into the show. No tears or snacks that I can remember.

Here is a video of it:

As for what game I would get? Not sure. Maybe Axiom Verge 2 or Spelunky 2 as I haven’t played them. I’ll go with Axiom Verge 2 to support the dev.

16th

21st
22nd
23rd

28th
29th
30th

The 16th would still fit in the "later than usual", i think

I don't think 16th was ruled out yet, unless I missed it. But I'm expecting the following week at this point.
He said no to 14th or whatever but i don’t think he will said no to some date only to find out that the Direct is just 1/2 day after. That’s not how Nate teasing things imo

16th

21st
22nd
23rd

28th
29th
30th
Not 29th due to shareholders event.

16th

21st
22nd
23rd

28th
29th
30th
You can mark off Tuesday as well since those are the days Nintendo would announce the direct on.

So Sony will probably announce God of War is coming in November later this month. Will we get another PS presentation later this month or God of War stand-alone? That and Nintendo gonna end June off nicely

I’ll randomly pick one of the (valid) replies tomorrow (Saturday) morning and gift them an eshop game of their choosing, $20 max! (or I suppose credit if a code isn't possible) Include the game you’d be hoping to grab with it in your reply to give the devs some love :)
It was June 2017. I had only recently begun following gaming news, directs, etc even though I had been a lifelong fan of Nintendo games. I just finished my freshman year of college, returned home and had nothing to do, and was waiting for my first E3 presentation since I started following everything. Around this time I was constantly reading and sometimes participating in debates of "will there be a new Metroid game?" I read so much of "metroid doesn't sell, so no new games" and was eager for the naysayers to be proven wrong.

As a huge Metroid fan I always argued that it would happen for various reasons, so it should come as no surprise that when I saw the words "Metroid Prime 4" I was ecstatic. No tears, but I yelled "YES!" multiple times! I was wearing my shirt with the Metroid Prime logo, and I had my Metroid Prime poster right above the TV too. It was just perfect! Obviously, a huge wait has followed and is still going on, but in terms of my pure excitement in the moment for a nintendo announcement, nothing has topped Metroid Prime 4. Since then, I've learned that "now in development" is a cursed phrase...

If I am selected, my game of choice is Stardew Valley. I've heard good things but never tried it myself. Anyways, this reflection was really fun -- thanks for organizing!

Guys calm down if there is an direct next week they going reveal it on Monday. No point of revealing a week in advance where they aint commited to anything like last year E3.

Nintendo going announce an Direct when we aint expecting like they did with the Wii Shop Channel:

Theres like 0 chance we get an announcement for Mario Odyssey 2 this direct right?

I think there's an at least 35% chance of seeing the next 3D Mario, be it Odyssey 2 or something else. 😄

Happy Friday, my good sir!

Really looking forward to Nate's Microsoft predictions tomorrow -- about as much as the event itself. I was a day one adopter of the Series X and Halo Infinite had so much promise, but the content is pitiful. Forza Horizon 5 was amazing. Let's see what else they're bringing to the table through 2023
I'm forgetting, have you played Tunic? I think it would be right in your wheelhouse!

I think there's an at least 35% chance of seeing the next 3D Mario, be it Odyssey 2 or something else. 😄

I'm forgetting, have you played Tunic? I think it would be right in your wheelhouse!
I really need to get back to Tunic! I played it for about an hour on game pass and was really enjoying it, but then life got in the way. I'm very slowly making my way through Earthbound now, so I think once that and Star Fox 64 are done, I'll try to beat Tunic before jumping back into XenoblaDE. Thanks for the reminder!

June 16th is the Final Fantasy stream. Nintendo is doing the smart thing. They know everyone is doing streams these couple of weeks. They don’t want to overlap. They don’t want to share media coverage. So they wait a little longer and they can get their own week or whole day for themselves.

Probably when I recorded myself reacting to the Isabelle in Smash/Animal Crossing Switch reveal 1-2 punch in the September 2018 Direct for a friend who wasn’t watching and is a big Animal Crossing fan. Having both back-to-back was a little nuts so I was sounding like a pterodactyl by the end of it. Good times.

As for the game, I’ve been keeping my eye on The Stanley Parable: Ultra Deluxe!

It was Nintendo Direct in November of 2015. Back when we had November Directs lol. Iwata’s death was still lingering in everyone’s thoughts and people on the old, OLD site thought Directs were dead because they were seen as a product of Iwata, and not anyone else, except maybe Bill Trinen, Reggie, and Miyamoto. Nintendo at that year’s E3 Digital Event detailed their holiday lineup pretty extensively, some games being asset flips like Triforce Heroes, AC Happy Home Designer, and AC amiibo Festival (from the AC app on Wii U). Feedback from that Direct ranged from bad to ”ehh, it was alright”. Nintendo that fall also tweeted a gazillion times about the first Yokai Watch coming to the west, and everyone was sick of it.

Then, a Direct was announced. Twilight Princess HD was a rumored game, but we didn’t know much else of what Nintendo was going to announce.

Direct starts off with TP HD on Wii U, pretty strong start, I was happy so far. Then, we got an 11-second teaser of Zelda U immediately after and it was glorious despite its short length. I was grinning from ear to ear because that E3 2014 teaser for Zelda U was the most impressive thing I had seen at the time and I really, really wanted more.

After the Zelda segment, we got a Mario Maker update and some info on Pokémon titles like Super Mystery Dungeon, Picross, Pokken.

Then, a moment I never thought that would’ve came. Dragon Quest VII’s 3DS remake was coming to the west. This was one of the first “proper” (read: non-mobile, non-spinoff stares at DQ Heroes) DQ games we got since 2011. I emailed Nintendo Customer Support multiple times throughout 2013 and 2014 to bring DQ7 specifically to the west. By the end of E3 2015, I had given up hope. I was so excited I asked my mom to drive me up to GameStop so I could talk about it with the employees there because at that specific store, the employees were pretty informed of gaming events and news. Oh, and DQ8 on 3DS was also coming to the west. Cool. That was my most hype of this specific Direct.

Also, Pokémon RBY coming to the 3DS virtual console was another happy moment in this Direct. I never would’ve thought TPCi would’ve re-released the older Pokémon games beyond remakes like HGSS and ORAS.

Then, Cloud Strife was revealed as a Smash 4 DLC fighter. I lost my mind. I didn’t know much of anything about FF beyond FF7r being announced earlier at that year’s E3. I remember seeing people post online for years about Cloud being a “won’t ever happen, BUT this would be dope” character.

I still hold this Direct in high regard, even as it’s been eclipsed by Switch-era Directs like February 2019 and E3 2019 (common theme here, if there’s DQ in a Direct, it instantly shoots up to my favorite Directs list)

I’ll randomly pick one of the (valid) replies tomorrow (Saturday) morning and gift them an eshop game of their choosing, $20 max! (or I suppose credit if a code isn't possible) Include the game you’d be hoping to grab with it in your reply to give the devs some love
My favorite memory from a Nintendo direct comes from the February 2019 direct, which was also my favorite direct of all time. I was having a particularly bad day the day of the direct and was in no mood for a direct. I considered not even watching it live, but I'm glad I did because as soon as it opened with the Mario maker 2 reveal, I was immediately cheered up and forgot about all my problems. That wasn't my favorite direct memory though. It was the final announcement of the direct. The presenter stated they had one last trailer to show. The screen went dark, then a few bubbles appeared. Then a scene of a stormy ocean came into view. As soon as I saw the waves I knew exactly what it was.

Link's awakening was one of my favorite games of all time. I probably have more nostalgia for that game than any other game. I never thought the day would come when they would remake it. In fact, years before this, I would periodically search for fan remakes of the game on YouTube because I was so curious to see what the game would look like with modern visuals. And that's what got me so excited. The biggest concern I had when thinking about Nintendo remaking the game was that they wouldn't go with an art style faithful to the original. But when I saw the manga style opening cutscene, I couldn't believe how perfect it was. It captured the style and vision I created in my head for what the game was perfectly. I immediately paused the video and got out of my chair. I was too excited, I had to take a second to prepare myself for the rest of the trailer.

It happens that I paused right before the actual gameplay reveal, and so as soon as I pressed play, my excitement turned a bit sour. I couldn't believe they teased me so hard with one art style only to reveal that the art style was yet another one of Nintendo's arts-and-craft-toy-pseudo-realistic art styles. And the music; it sounded like it was being played on toy instruments. I was so let down. Before anyone gets mad at me, I will say, I played the remake and I loved it. I actually really enjoyed the art style and music and think it fits the game extremely well. I wouldn't have thought twice about it if the original link's awakening didn't exist and this was revealed as a brand new game. It's just that I had expectations based on the artwork of the original game, and then Nintendo started the trailer by confirming those expectations, only to completely subvert them with the gameplay reveal.

So that's my favorite memory. Even though it wasn't the perfect trailer, I love thinking back to the roller coaster of emotions I had during it. And it still turned out to be one of my favorite switch games. Oh and lastly, my direct snacks: A banana with peanut butter, Boom Chicka Pop, and an avocado. And If chosen, I'd love to get TNMT shredder's revenge

I have to echo the "Banjo in Smash/BOTW 2 announcement" 1-2 punch. I've never felt more elated by a Direct. From happy, nostalgic tears to finally see the bear and bird represented in a game from the past decade to straight shock and more tears of disbelief that they were already announcing the next Zelda. And I had this visceral reaction as soon as I saw that spiraling purple goo thing in the teaser, I immediately screamed out loud "IT'S ZELDA" to nobody in any close radius nearby. And the dark tone and eerie teaser served as a compelling tonal comp to Majora's Mask at the time, which only made it even sweeter.

I'd love to put $20 toward Xenoblade 3 so that I can feel better about possibly copping Live A Live at full price to support the devs :)

Where?: At home
Direct snacks: None
Tears shed: 2

I'll let the video speak for itself :)

As for game, looks like Robotics;Notes Elite is part of the sale, I could go for it.

Thats an...actually hard question =O

Cheat answer would be TP anouncement or BotW anouncement. Ok, the first one would be an E3...

If Switch Presentation counts, then ...kinda that one.
Mostly because i was hyped for switch, since i wanted that concept for a decade. The anouncements where great (Octopath Travler, the Zelda Trailer, next SMT as someone that wanted to get into that series, the short.
Heck, i was even interested in 1-2 switch if it is a good party game.
They showed mario Odyssey, and crap, i knew that thats the mario game i was waiting for.
No more Heroes (...), Steep (...), and a new BOMBERMAN that sadly did go back to a playstyle i was not that found of).
But the biggest aspect wasd, that back then i was living with my parents, they where away, and a great friend of mine came by, to watch it.
Im usually watching that kind of stuff alone, since my friends are not as interested in that type of coverage, so that was just conforting not feeling weird about it =D

Looking through the list... i feel like i only started to keep up during the Wii U Era.
2014 was great, since the hype for Smash and MK8 was the reason why in the end i bought one. (MK bundle)

The Pokemon Sun and moon Anouncement was also fun, but hat less of an inpact then the X/Y anouncement.

Yeah, i dont know... i like them as a whole, but so many games where anounced outside of those big events, or i only aprechiated them afterwards. And i know, the presentation was not a direct ...oh well.

So now am betting 22/23rd. I know Fire Emblem is releasing that week but the next one is just too close to shareholders meeting.
The thing is, they're not gonna do a Direct one day before Three Hopes releases because that's too close, and the day before that there's Three Hopes reviews, so that's also out. They'd have to announce it one week in advance (oncoming week) or on Monday to air on Tuesday.

The thing is, they're not gonna do a Direct one day before Three Hopes releases because that's too close, and the day before that there's Three Hopes reviews, so that's also out. They'd have to announce it one week in advance (oncoming week) or on Monday to air on Tuesday.
Reading this, yeah it makes sense. If there is no Treehouse then Monday announcement for Tuesday show is completely possible.

Damn y'all are killing it with these memory posts. Excited to catch up on them and write my own later :)
theres a reason people like directs, they enjoy them, and you asked =P

Edit: one aspect that i also really enjoy about them is always to see how others react. now thats the third place where im reading along with peoples reactions to directs. People are excited, hyped. I like when people are happy =D (even if the show is not for me, like it was a lot of the time)

theres a reason people like directs, they enjoy them, and you asked =P

Edit: one aspect that i also really enjoy about them is always to see how others react. now thats the third place where im reading along with peoples reactions to directs. People are excited, hyped. I like when people are happy =D (even if the show is not for me, like it was a lot of the time)
RE: your edit, ditto + exactly why I asked! ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Please read the threadmarked staff post before posting about rumors or insiders. Do not beg insiders for reassurance or tag individuals asking for more hints. Snarky or mean-spirited responses will not be tolerated.

Back
Top Bottom