• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

StarTopic Future Nintendo Hardware & Technology Speculation & Discussion |ST| (Read the staff posts before commenting!)

I wonder if the new device will use NVMe storage. The Steam Deck's price has a significant hike from the eMMC model to that, although I feel it's partly a business decision - you can definitely get cheaper storage (as opposed to the official models) and just slot it in.

I wonder if the new device will use NVMe storage. The Steam Deck's price has a significant hike from the eMMC model to that, although I feel it's partly a business decision - you can definitely get cheaper storage (as opposed to the official models) and just slot it in.
no, too power hungry for a device like the switch.

Absence of Uncles is more troubling for any immediate-term prospects.
Well don't forget one of the uncles was banned and had his threads scrubbed. I wouldn't be surprised if the remaining uncles kept quiet from here on out even if they see new stuff.

I feel confident we will have a new console by Q1 24 at the latest.

I would assume Q1 2024 as that would be about 7 years on the dot but Nintendo has been pretty bad with timing. I don't think it is launching this year and in my personal opinion Holiday 2024 is way too long and just asking for a beating in share price on due to inability to plan. So a March-April 2024 period makes sense. But you never know with Nintendo.

This makes no sense since investors, analysts, & others use past actions to establish patterns in Nintendo’s business & predict their future moves. They really aren’t that unpredictable as people claim they are.

Such as? Voice chat is bottom of the totem pole for why a dev may not bring a game over on Switch. What are they forcing on the dev? If the dev wants to implement voice chat then they can. If they don’t they can just not. I’m not seeing an issue here nor how this issue can potentially alienate devs. As for online environment, what specifically is being talked about; because from what it was reportedly about mtx generation on a Nintendo system.
Plan and simple they need to make a console as close to what the other console manufacturers are using to keep it standard across the board. Nintendo doesn’t make a feature and say oh this is just for us to use with our first party games. Of course they market it and want devs to use it with third party games. DLSS could be a god send for them and really excite developers to develop for the next switch. A lot of pc developers are using it with exciting results. I could see a lot of games targeting pc and switch for the next console as those development environments would be very similar. Plan and simple Nintendo needs to not alienate game developers in any way. They need to create a development culture that gets developers excited to develop for switch. Also make it as easy as possible. Call it what you want but this is how game development and support works. Nintendo is already fighting against publishers knowing there core games are probably going to sell less on a Nintendo platform anyway.

As said above, NVMe is too power hungry. It probably could be done at significantly slower speeds than the new consoles, but then Nintendo would be better using eUFS for better power efficiency and probably cheaper as well.

With eUFS, they should be able to get to at least ~1/3 of XBS and ~1/6 of PS5. That sounds slow, but it's 8~10x faster than last gen HDDs, the new consoles simply went overkill there.

And while Switch has a 300mb/s eMMC, it was so limited by it's CPU in asset decompression that loading times were in the same ballpark as playing from the 25mb/s game cards. So even just using the eMMC to it's fullest would be a massive improvement.

Plan and simple they need to make a console as close to what the other console manufacturers are using to keep it standard across the board. Nintendo doesn’t make a feature and say oh this is just for us to use with our first party games. Of course they market it and want devs to use it with third party games. DLSS could be a god send for them and really excite developers to develop for the next switch. A lot of pc developers are using it with exciting results. I could see a lot of games targeting pc and switch for the next console as those development environments would be very similar. Plan and simple Nintendo needs to not alienate game developers in any way. They need to create a development culture that gets developers excited to develop for switch. Also make it as easy as possible. Call it what you want but this is how game development and support works. Nintendo is already fighting against publishers knowing there core games are probably going to sell less on a Nintendo platform anyway.
What will excite developers to bring their games over are the following:
  • A powerful enough system
  • Modern engine support
  • Easier time porting over games
  • Believed ROI
Not having certain “standard” features isn’t this back breaking alienation that prevents devs from bringing their games over like you claimed. You tell me this is how game dev & support works yet completely miss the forest for the trees. The claim that Nintendo is so unpredictable just speaks to that since if they were, devs wouldn’t be bringing their games over. We are in a thread talking about Nintendo’s next device which, from all information so far, is about as predictable as it gets yet still trying to justify the use of “because Nintendo; no one knows what they are gonna do.”

• Modern engine support
  • Believed ROI
Not having certain “standard” features isn’t this back breaking alienation that prevents devs from bringing their games over like you claimed. You tell me this is how game dev & support works yet completely miss the forest for the trees. The claim that Nintendo is so unpredictable just speaks to that since if they were, devs wouldn’t be bringing their games over. We are in a thread talking about Nintendo’s next device which, from all information so far, is about as predictable as it gets yet still trying to justify the use of “because Nintendo; no one knows what they are gonna do.”
Hello lads, first time on this message board, so if I get things wrong, please correct me.

I feel like the "powerful system" is probably the biggest draw for third-parties. Companies have shown interest in the Switch despite the ass-old hardware, so it's not hard to believe that companies will actually take the time to port modern games to the device. CDPR and maybe Xbox/Bethesda (more likely Bethesda) are probably going to be porting stuff to the system with that addition system legroom, but there's also going to be a lot of 8th gen ports.

What I'm curious about is about Square Enix specifically. If the Switch 2 is powerful enough to run PS5 games (albeit at a lower graphical quality), then it might actually make Square Enix reconsider their third-party exclusivity contracts. Idk, might be a good thing overall.

Hello lads, first time on this message board, so if I get things wrong, please correct me.

I feel like the "powerful system" is probably the biggest draw for third-parties. Companies have shown interest in the Switch despite the ass-old hardware, so it's not hard to believe that companies will actually take the time to port modern games to the device. CDPR and maybe Xbox/Bethesda (more likely Bethesda) are probably going to be porting stuff to the system with that addition system legroom, but there's also going to be a lot of 8th gen ports.

What I'm curious about is about Square Enix specifically. If the Switch 2 is powerful enough to run PS5 games (albeit at a lower graphical quality), then it might actually make Square Enix reconsider their third-party exclusivity contracts. Idk, might be a good thing overall.
What really helped the Switch get 3rd party ports is the modern engine support. So things like Unreal, Unity, etc. Getting support out the gate for updated modern engines is gonna be more important then having more power outside of sufficient enough on the next device.

What really helped the Switch get 3rd party ports is the modern engine support. So things like Unreal, Unity, etc. Getting support out the gate for updated modern engines is gonna be more important then having more power outside of sufficient enough on the next device.
UE5 is already on Switch. The headline features of UE5 (Nanite, Lumen) requires quite a lot of power.

That's the DisplayPort version the OLED model itself supports, not the version the dock supports.

The chip used in the dock is a Realtek RTD2172N, as per this photo:

There aren't any specifications for it online (the N indicates it might be somewhat customised for Nintendo), but there is an Anandtech article about the RTD2173. This is a DisplayPort 1.4 to HDMI 2.1 converter, with the article focussing on HDMI 2.1 support, so it's reasonable to expect that RTD2172 is probably a DisplayPort 1.4 to HDMI 2.0 converter.

I mean, if it's 1.4 to 2.1, that would mean the possibility of 4K120 support on the new device even if it reuses this dock.

That said, I definitely just expect 4K60 via HDMI 2.0

I fully expect the oled dock to be forward compatible, unless there's some change in the form factor that makes it physically incompatible.

• Modern engine support
  • Believed ROI

“Vivox’s system is also cross-platform right out of the box, which is good news for developers working on games that let users play with friends on different consoles, which we’re thankfully seeing more of these days.”

When this has to be done it’s a problem for the devs and MOST IMPORTANTLY the consumer.

“Vivox’s system is also cross-platform right out of the box, which is good news for developers working on games that let users play with friends on different consoles, which we’re thankfully seeing more of these days.”

When this has to be done it’s a problem for the devs and MOST IMPORTANTLY the consumer.
It's actually impressive how behind Nintendo is on specific QoL features for their device. That's the punishment for living in the 6th and 7th generation for 20 years total, I guess.

But seriously, calling the Switch a 7th gen device is a bit disingenuous, and ignores part of the equation. Although raw performance is in the same ballpark, Switch benefits from a modern architecture and other features that a 7th gen console could only dream of, like 4gigs of ram (8X the 7th gen consoles) and a significantly more modern CPU.

I mean, if it's 1.4 to 2.1, that would mean the possibility of 4K120 support on the new device even if it reuses this dock.
Yes, but don't expect HDR support at 4K 120 Hz due to DisplayPort 1.4's max bandwidth of 32.4 Gbps. (10-bit is the minimum colour bit depth for HDR.)

misc-formatdataratetable-large.jpg

But seriously, calling the Switch a 7th gen device is a bit disingenuous, and ignores part of the equation. Although raw performance is in the same ballpark, Switch benefits from a modern architecture and other features that a 7th gen console could only dream of, like 4gigs of ram (8X the 7th gen consoles) and a significantly more modern CPU.
I posted my previous reply and then realised that the Switch isn't really 7th gen for the exact same reasons you listed. Additionally, it's essentially compressing the power of a PS3 into the size of a bar of chocolate, so it's an unfair comment.
Still, how Nintendo has been acting surrounding their system-wide features is still really bad. While a more powerful system is really cool, it'd also be nice if they devoted some time to upgrading a lot of social features.

Nintendo DS had voice chat.

They are not technologically behind, they intentionally decided not to pursue it for Switch.
I don't feel like even that's accurate. The Switch does have Voice Chat, it's just that the method for Voice Chat is, being polite, fucking stupid. Using a smartphone as a voice chat feature is just not a good way of implementing it.
Having it be integrated into the system would be excellent. A built-in chat system would also be really nice. However, knowing Nintendo, they probably won't implement it and keep using that smartphone app.

Idk, I'd like to be surprised.

My expectations are solidly in the "4K60, maybe 10 bit HDR" category. I don't think 120 is likely, in part because it would cause extra friction between handheld and TV mode. If the console has it but not the TV, then TV mode has a lower temporal resolution, if the console supports it in TV mode, but has a 60hz screen, now the temporal resolution is lower in handheld mode. I don't think 4K120 fits into the ecosystem, at the moment, and most people don't care about it from a marketing point of view.

All they need is a console that can reach a solid (if upscaled) 4K60 and they're Gucci in the "power wars" until 8K becomes mainstream, which isn't likely for many years.

I don't feel like even that's accurate. The Switch does have Voice Chat, it's just that the method for Voice Chat is, being polite, fucking stupid. Using a smartphone as a voice chat feature is just not a good way of implementing it.
Having it be integrated into the system would be excellent. A built-in chat system would also be really nice. However, knowing Nintendo, they probably won't implement it and keep using that smartphone app.

Integrated how? Where would you put it in the memory map where the system is straining for enough RAM already? What connection would you use?

I do think saying the DS had it is a little disingenuous, since it only had it in specific supported games. But supported games on Switch have voice chat on the system too, via the TRRS (headphone) jack. Nothing stops Devs or Nintendo from using it. But they don't. It's not convenient in TV mode.

Last edited:

There is no technical reason preventing them from putting voice chat natively on Switch, even now. The fact that they haven't done it should be a clear sign that they're not interested in doing it, not that they can't do it. The voice chat app which still only works for a handful of games was probably lobbied by developers of those games who didn't like that Nintendo overall wanted to keep voice chat off Switch natively.

Don't expect it for the next console either, it's clearly not part of their philosophy.

Last edited:
There is no technical reason presenting them from putting voice chat natively on Switch, even now. The fact that they haven't done it should be a clear sign that they're not interested in doing it, not that they can't do it. The voice chat app which still only works for a handful of games was probably lobbied by developers of those games who didn't like that Nintendo overall wanted to keep voice chat off Switch natively.

Don't expect it for the next console either, it's clearly not part of their philosophy.
Wasn't the reason for the app because they wanted to filter what children would hear with the voice chat, like foul language? It sounds stupid and counterproductive, but it would make sense.

Anecdata: I know of at least 3 Switch Lites that wouldn't be purchased if Nintendo offered richer "friendlist" features. Being able to hand a Switch to a tween and by default you don't have to worry about online harassment, or being found by someone typing random email addresses into the contact list is a significant win.

You could lock those features behind some sort of parental control, but if you are knowledgeable enough and old enough to do that, then just open Discord. Nintendo doesn't want to be in the job of policing a global, cross-game ecosystem, in order to have parity with a pair of companies they don't consider direct competitors, in order to cater to a subset of gamers who already have more feature rich alternatives.

yea, nah. Sony shells out the big bucks for those exclusives.

I mean, Sony has done that, but I think it's a question whether that will continue.

Recent Sony moneyhatted SE games

FF7R2: We will see
FF16: Headed for a pretty significant sales disappointment based on metrics so far
Forspoken: Massive failure
Valkyrie Elysium: Did not do well
Babylon's Fall: Massive failure
FF7R: Sales disappointment

Anecdata: I know of at least 3 Switch Lites that wouldn't be purchased if Nintendo offered richer "friendlist" features. Being able to hand a Switch to a tween and by default you don't have to worry about online harassment, or being found by someone typing random email addresses into the contact list is a significant win.

You could lock those features behind some sort of parental control, but if you are knowledgeable enough and old enough to do that, then just open Discord. Nintendo doesn't want to be in the job of policing a global, cross-game ecosystem, in order to have parity with a pair of companies they don't consider direct competitors, in order to cater to a subset of gamers who already have more feature rich alternatives.
An anecdote of mine:

I have an Xbox and never use most of the deeper social features, and dislike some of them. Nintendo also has a superior friend adding system.

Am I going to bat for friend codes? Absolutely. I don't think they're a terrible idea. They allow multiple people to have the same username without discriminators, they are unambiguous, and honestly, finding people by friend code is easier than finding people on Xbox by gamertag unless their tag is super unique.

On Xbox you can also "follow" someone without friending them and vice versa, which I just dislike. Why is it an "add friend" button when all it does it follow them? What if I want to approve followers and have them automatically be followed back, like, I don't know, some kind of "friend" "request"?

Managing my friend list on Switch is so easy. Managing my friend list on Xbox means curating it every few months to make sure I unfollow people who unfriended me, and follow people I know who friended me.

I mean, Sony has done that, but I think it's a question whether that will continue.

FF16: Headed for a pretty significant sales disappointment based on metrics so far
I don't see why it shouldn't continue. they're just not going to spend on anything less than the top tier stuff

I don't see why it shouldn't continue. they're just not going to spend on anything less than the top tier stuff

If they spend like $125m on FF16's marketing and it sells 6m copies, I think it's going to raise questions for Sony whether or not it's worthwhile to keep doing this. Is a 5m to 8m an entry franchise really worth a massive moneyhat when the brand is already completely associated with your platform due to literally decades of releases?

And if they cut back on the checks offered to Square for future Final Fantasy games, Square will have to decide whether or not like $30m or $50m is worth sabotaging their potential sales on Xbox as well as harming their sales on PC by causing late releases.

If they spend like $125m on FF16's marketing and it sells 6m copies, I think it's going to raise questions for Sony whether or not it's worthwhile to keep doing this.
Well, to overuse an overused phrase, it's not about the money, it's about sending a message.

It's not about sales with situations like that, it's about propping up the value of the console. It doesn't matter to Sony IF a game sells well on PlayStation so long as it's ONLY available on PlayStation. It's about building up and sustaining that image of a perfect walled garden where major new IPs and established franchises deliver to them first, or don't deliver to competitors at all. Even if they don't sell well, Forespoken has a lot of chatter around it, and Final Fantasy 16 is the newest FINAL FANTASY game. "Only on" PlayStation. That's valuable to Sony from a marketing perspective.

In the end, Sony gets marketing material for the PlayStation, while the Devs don't have to worry about sales because Sony has already paid for some or all of the development costs, and any sales thereafter are just gravy.

TL;DR, 165 million USD spent on FF16 by Sony is 165 million USD spent on PlayStation marketing.

Last edited:

That said, I definitely just expect 4K60 via HDMI 2.0

I should clarify, the Anandtech article is about the Realtek RTD2173, whereas the OLED Switch dock uses a variant of the RTD2172, which we can assume is the previous version of the chip. Given the article was written about the novelty of the RTD2173 chip supporting HDMI 2.1, it's very unlikely that the RTD2172 supports HDMI 2.1.

I should clarify, the Anandtech article is about the Realtek RTD2173, whereas the OLED Switch dock uses a variant of the RTD2172, which we can assume is the previous version of the chip. Given the article was written about the novelty of the RTD2173 chip supporting HDMI 2.1, it's very unlikely that the RTD2172 supports HDMI 2.1.
Now THAT is getting down in the weeds, hahaha. Still, I'd be entirely satisfied with 2.0b

Well, to overuse an overused phrase, it's not about the money, it's about sending a message.

It's not about sales with situations like that, it's about propping up the value of the console. It doesn't matter to Sony IF a games sells well on PlayStation so long as it's ONLY available on PlayStation. It's about building up and sustaining that image of a perfect walled garden where major new IPs and established franchises deliver to them first, or don't deliver to competitors at all. Even if they don't sell well, Forespoken has a lot of chatter around it, and Final Fantasy 16 is the newest FINAL FANTASY game. "Only on" PlayStation. That's valuable to Sony from a marketing perspective.

In the end, Sony gets marketing material for the PlayStation, while the Devs don't have to worry about sales because Sony has already paid for some or all of the development costs, and any sales thereafter are just gravy.

TL;DR, 165 million USD spent on FF16 by Sony is 165 million USD spent on PlayStation marketing.
"It's not always about the money, Spider-Man Microsoft"

Additionally, I think that it was easier for Sony to convince SE to go exclusive when the only console alternative under consideration was XBOX, which isn't the biggest system for Japanese games. If Switch 2 becomes a day-and-date option for SE, then you suddenly have a big JRPG system that they will have to give up on with any exclusive deals.

Additionally, I think that it was easier for Sony to convince SE to go exclusive when the only console alternative under consideration was XBOX, which isn't the biggest system for Japanese games. If Switch 2 becomes a day-and-date option for SE, then you suddenly have a big JRPG system that they will have to give up on with any exclusive deals.

I don't know if the Switch's success matters too much compared to just the continued growing PC sales. I expect FF17 to pivot back to open world stuff (maybe as a BotW clone) if FF16 sells as poorly (less than 7m) as it's projecting right now. That could be a good fit for Switch 2 but it could also be too demanding for the Switch 2.

Like, I'm sure Square wants KH4 to be playable on Switch 2, but I don't think mainline Final Fantasy will be coming day and date to Switch 2 due to how graphically intensive the series has been.

yea, nah. Sony shells out the big bucks for those exclusives.

It depends. The bigger the next Switch market, the more money Sony would have to shell to get those exclusive. At some point, they may not consider that it's worth it.

If Nintendo plays their cards right they could remain market leaders for a long, long time, being in the unique position to somehow compete with the other two, while the other two can't really compete with them.

Nintendo DS had voice chat.

They are not technologically behind, they intentionally decided not to pursue it for Switch.

I think it's a bit of both honestly. The single A57 core and barely 500 MB reserved for the OS struggles to handle eshop and the NSO page. I think having a communicaitons centre in the OS would slow down the performance beyond acceptable limits as I believe the A57 OS core also handles all networking

Now, many service games have managed to get voice chat in (admittedly not the best quality) as it's already integrated in their games, but i think it would be different for a lot of other games where VC would be part of the OS layer on top of the game.

For Switch 2- I fully expect Nintendo to do a 180 and integrate/drop the phone app into its OS and include VC. Tag me when they decide otherwise and I'll own up to being wrong!

Last edited:
I think it's a bit of both honestly. The single A57 core and barely 500 MB reserved for the OS struggles to handle eshop and the NSO page. I think having a communicaitons centre in the OS would slow down the performance beyond acceptable limits as I believe the A57 OS core also handles all networking

Now, many service games have managed to get voice chat in (admittedly not the best quality) as it's already integrated in their games, but i think it would be different for a lot of other games where VC would be part of the OS layer on top of the game.

For Switch 2- I fully expect Nintendo to do a 180 and integrate/drop the phone app into its OS and include VC. Tag me when they decide otherwise and I'll own up to being wrong!
Integrating the NSO Applet on the device and the App on mobile into a similar, feature complete experience would be very nice, but I hope the app sticks around. Having the Apps like Nooklink and Splatnet on the system in an Applet would be useful, sort of like how Wii had Game Channels.

Assuming the next system is just the Switch but more powerful/has more features, if you had to guess do you guys think the bezel size will be similar/identical to the OLED or back to regular Switch bezels?

Assuming the next system is just the Switch but more powerful/has more features, if you had to guess do you guys think the bezel size will be similar/identical to the OLED or back to regular Switch bezels?
Kind of torn on it. In one way, it would be strange if Drake was a downgrade from Oled in any way (screen), but in another way I could still see them downgrading the screen if the alternative is selling at a loss. But either way a modern lcd would have smaller bezels than v2.

How is this a problem for devs & consumers? You made a claim about alienation & devs skipping yet haven’t backed that up. This current response isn’t illustrating what you think it is either. So, it’s a non-issue trying to be presented as a huge issue.
Wasn't the reason for the app because they wanted to filter what children would hear with the voice chat, like foul language? It sounds stupid and counterproductive, but it would make sense.
They have never actively given a reason outside whatever nonsense Reggie spewed out at the time. So, if you wanna take him at his word is more or less up to the person in question. The most likely guess is a combination of what happened with Swap Note & their reaction towards taking down comments on the eShop. Whether you agree with it or not is again up to the person. I’m not gonna be shocked if their answer is Discord integration; much like when they integrated Twitter after ditching Miiverse.

They may be able to get savings from re-using the OLED parts for the Switch 2. especially screen and other components but with it being slightly bigger and thicker, so the bezel may return simply from using the same OLED screens but now there's more Switch around the screen again.

The thicker bit I think makes a lot of sense as it will prevent a lot of absent minded docking of the new unit into the old dock, assuming they stick to the hybrid configuration. I'm 90% sure they will, but you never know with Nintendo.

Last edited:

I don't think Vivox is solving the problem you think it's solving. Vivox provides a single standard solution for integrating voice chat into a game, and for making friend's lists work across the platform. It doesn't matter how good Nintendo's own solution is, that problem would still exist for developers. It's a problem that only a 3rd party could ever solve.

resetera is that you? lol
In all seriousness it sold more than 5m even before the steam release. That's decent overall and sales will increase as new parts come out due to its episodic nature.

Even if Sony didn't like the numbers for some reason (even though they extended exclusivity and paid for it to be perma-console exclusive), you have to consider the marketing value of final fantasy vii and the playstation brand.

That's worth more than any game's sales could offer.

Last edited:
They may be able to get savings from re-using the OLED parts for the Switch 2. especially screen and other components but with it being slightly bigger and thicker, so the bezel may return simply from using the same OLED screens but now there's more Switch around the screen again.

The thicker bit I think makes a lot of sense as it will prevent a lot of absent minded docking of the new unit into the old dock, assuming they stick to the hybrid configuration. I'm 90% sure they will, but you never know with Nintendo.
No way it doesn't work with the old dock, that would be absurd and unnecessary.

I think everyone is being absurdly pessimistic, to the point of absurdity, about how this thing is engineered.

I don't even think it will reuse the OLED screen. If anything, a 1080p screen would be cheaper at scale because unlike the OLED, they don't have to get it fully custom, and instead can share a screen with mid range tablets.

Meanwhile, the dock and charger are no brainers for re-using them. We know the Dock with LAN port can do 4K, we know Nintendo already uses DP1.4! Why break compatibility when there's no need? When they redesigned the dock not even two years ago with all the features the new system needs, more ventilation, etc. If they didn't intend to reuse the dock later they massively overengineered it and that's not very Nintendo, not when Wii and Wii U shared composite and component cables, not when DSi, WiFi Adaptor and every 3DS shared chargers.

Do people think Nintendo's engineers are horses that last saw a tablet in 2009?

OLED Model has plenty of internal space without modifying the shell to add whatever cooling they could possibly need for a chip we already have an approximate size for, we have leaked power consumption that isn't any different to the V1, so why would it be any bigger when components, screens and connectors have only gotten smaller since 2017?

A new kickstand to find more space for extra support circuitry, a bigger fan, maybe a bigger battery? Sure, I'd expect at least a change to the kickstand to visually differentiate it. But an entirely different, incompatible, larger shell? No. Absolutely not.

This thing isn't Steam Deck 1.5, it's Nintendo Switch 2, and Nintendo Switch is a portable system! Not just a handheld, a true portable, something that slips into a satchel or a handbag not a dedicated briefcase.

Then the dock situation! You know they already have two colours of Nintendo Switch Dock with LAN Port? They only advertise the white model, but, I have a black one. Consumers aren't going to obsess over the two docks in the ads that have the same curves, they'll see a white one labelled Nintendo Switch OLED Model, and a black one labelled Nintendo Switch [Redacted] with 4K.

There won't be confusion because the dock is the same mould because they don't advertise the black dock at the moment!

It's not like the dock's design is central to the console's identity like the ability to dock is, or they wouldn't have redesigned it halfway through. Worrying about "differentiation" between Nintendo Switch Docks with LAN Ports is like worrying that consumers won't understand the Switch is a new console because it uses the same HDMI cable as Wii U, or the 3DS is a new console because it uses the same adaptor as the DSi. That's all it is. An adaptor. A USB hub. It's not the cornerstone of the brand, its FUNCTION is.

I wonder what the system will support for TVs and Audio, software wise.

I know we focus on the hardware side of things… but let’s focus on the software side? Like features that they should include? While also being related to hardware of course.

On the OS level or to supplant other software that runs on the system
So, like HDR formats, a multi game suspend would be cool to have.

At least 2 games to suspend at a moment

Hm, a “raise to wake” like function would be small, but nice to have.

An integrated note app or something to write in, game related?

Or like, if you take a screenshot of a game you can save it under a note and write down something to keep in mind for whatever it needs it for.

The Bluetooth Audio being part of the submenu when you hold the home button, that if you have one set already paired for the system you can just pair it but tapping it. Would be nice if they just did this with the current switch, but let’s assume they are saving this for the 2 for “???” Reasons I won’t bother trying.

No way it doesn't work with the old dock, that would be absurd and unnecessary.

I think everyone is being absurdly pessimistic, to the point of absurdity, about how this thing is engineered.
Maybe Nintendo’s hardware team has a mandate to make accessories compatible. But I don’t think it requires pessimism to assume otherwise.
I’m sure we’re getting a new handheld, and I think it would be madness for that handheld to not let you play on the TeeVee, and certainly T239 looks like a new Switch. But I’m not blithely confident about the feature set, hardware production margins, or performance goals for this thing to assert anything so confidently about the form factor.

Active cooling, video streaming, shape changes due to new battery, altered joy-con shapes to accommodate touchpads - all things that might necessitate dock changes. Maybe the factory leaks are all legit and it’s basically the same shell and will work with the OLED dock out of the box, but I’m open to alternatives

I also think different Switch 2 dimensions / joycon 2 dimensions / dock aren't off the table. Even if only slightly.
And even if they reuse the dock's internals, I'd fully expect them to make a new dock shell for the new device.

Please read this staff post before posting.

Furthermore, according to this follow-up post, all off-topic chat will be moderated.
Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom