• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

StarTopic Future Nintendo Hardware & Technology Speculation & Discussion |ST| (Read the staff posts before commenting!)

So...

#Team2023

Not a bad Direct, pretty good actually, but this lineup isn't gonna revitelize anything.

While I loved the Direct, to the point there's stuff in there I want but can't justify the price of, which is rare for me with Nintendo...

Yeah, this is grade-A coasting. It wasn't LIGHT on announcments, they were missing in action. There were 0 surprises (at least for me) with the exception of Inkopolis Plaza (which... Looks like it's just an expensive Splatsville Anarchy Avenue Reskin with no added content.).

There was 0 "vitality" on display, just more information on games we already knew about. Games I'm very excited for! But nothing new.

I think that may seal the deal, as Link would say. If they intend to revitalise the "Nintendo Switch Brand" as they put it, and their hardware sales, they'll need something other than software.

There's a lot of unaccounted for studios. What is Mario Team 3D working on? Mario 2D? Mario Kart/ARMS? What's next for Splatoon/Animal Crossing's team? Metroid Prime 4? Metroid Prime Trilogy?

Something's wrong. I can feel it.

In a good way. Maybe.

Well, thank god the new Switch was announced in this trailer, because we all know there was no way Switch could run Pikmin 4
Pikmin 4 looked... Rough, visually. Unsurprising, I suppose. It still looks incredibly fun, I just have to decide whether to get it digitally or physically now.

H1 2023 is dead. Long live H2 2023
The year is dead, long live the year! 😀

For some reason they didn't talk of any game outside of the first half of 2023. Apart from Pikmin 4 spilling very slightly out of it. I think there were more times often than not where they atleast announced a far off game iirc.

I do so much want for Nintendo to be crafty duplicitous gremlins, leaking false information surrounding the state of the new hardware, and letting us all be genuinely surprised when it is announced. But that’s fair bit too optimistic for me. Wishing everybody else luck - less than two hours to go.

As for me? Just give me Tears with decent IQ and good voicing. I’ll cope.

Not coping. How did they whiff the voice acting so hard again. Ganondorf (?) was some Saturday morning cartoon shit. What a rubbish trailer.

IQ was OK enough. I need to watch the trailer again without streaming artifacts later.

Last edited:
Not coping. How did they whiff the voice acting so hard again. Ganondoft (?) was some Saturday morning cartoon shit. What a rubbish trailer.

IQ was OK enough. I need to watch the trailer again without streaming artifacts later.
This is why I played BOTW in Japanese and why I will play TOTK in Japanese, lol.

Pikmin 4 looked... Rough, visually. Unsurprising, I suppose. It still looks incredibly fun, I just have to decide whether to get it digitally or physically now.
Pikmin 4 looked like a pretty Switch game? Obviously it still looks like a Switch game, but I am not seeing the roughness anyone is referring to. When the first footage came out, I thought it looked like a Switch game while some parts of the thread were assuming it had to be Drake. And now that it's out I think it looks like a Switch game and folks are comparing it negatively to Pikmin 3.

It's clear the enemy models are all higher polygon count than the previous game, with higher res textures and a tilt shift/DoF affect, and longer draw distances than any Pikmin game.

This was the last game for reference.

Pikmin 4 looked like a pretty Switch game? Obviously it still looks like a Switch game, but I am not seeing the roughness anyone is referring to. When the first footage came out, I thought it looked like a Switch game while some parts of the thread were assuming it had to be Drake. And now that it's out I think it looks like a Switch game and folks are comparing it negatively to Pikmin 3.

It's clear the enemy models are all higher polygon count than the previous game, with higher res textures and a tilt shift/DoF affect, and longer draw distances than any Pikmin game.

I actually thought Pikmin 4 looked good enough. It'd look far better at 4K, but I liked the look overall.

I've talked to some of the voice team on the game. It is not an environment conducive to doing good work.

It'll never make sense how it can both be Nintendo (likely) biggest budget title and how the voice work ends up so bad. I just can't.

I was happy with the direct. Pikmin 4 and Metroid prime really satisfied especially that surprise drop

I know not every game there is everyone’s cup of tea but there were a ton of games announced, even if it wasn’t a title you were personally expecting or hoping to see

I honestly was surprised with Pikmin 4, thought that would be a switch 2 game

Zelda looks to be more of the original which is great, similar tier voice acting too haha. Obviously it’s going to get a dedicated direct in the future

I would emphatically attest to it not looking better than Pikmin 3 from last generation.

For a specific example, SS Drake on Wii U was extremely high poly compared to this... SPERO shaped thing.

For a comparison with a Switch game- this really isn't a looker even next to Mario Odyssey, a much more open ended game from the launch year.

It just kinda looks... Rough around the edges. The visible polygons, the aliasing, the animations. It looks good, but it doesn't look BETTER next to 3.

I feel like with all the positive reaction from Nintendo fans. Nintendo can pad out Switch library until 2025 with just ports and a few new games sprinkled in. They got a backlog of GameCuve, Wii and 3DS games they can port. From Paper Mario TTYD, Zelda Link Between Worlds to Mario Galaxy 2. They can slightly upgrade graphics like Kirby and Metroid as well as add a few new additions like they done with Kirby.

The cycle continues.

Pikmin 4 does look amazing for a switch game, graphically this is a step up in terms of Pikmin 3.

I personally thought that this was a potential switch 2 game a few months back when they showed the still images of pikmin 4 lol.

I feel like with all the positive reaction from Nintendo fans. Nintendo can pad out Switch library until 2025 with just ports and a few new games sprinkled in. They got a backlog of GameCuve, Wii and 3DS games they can port. From Paper Mario TTYD, Zelda Link Between Worlds to Mario Galaxy 2. They can slightly upgrade graphics like Kirby and Metroid as well as add a few new additions like they done with Kirby.
The Nintendo fans reaction doesn't matter that much to Nintendo though.
What matters is da money.
And Nintendo fans are far, FAR from enough to avoid the economical disaster that a 2025 release for Drake would be.

Last edited:
I would emphatically attest to it not looking better than Pikmin 3 from last generation.
In what sense?

Based on what little we've seen, I prefer Pikmin 3's art direction, which milked the relatively limited camera to cheat a lot of really gorgeous stuff. But purely technically, the sheer amount of geometry on display in Pikmin 4 is way in advance of 3, as are the shadow effects, which in 3 are very minimal, with lots of shadows baked into textures.

If you don't like it, you don't like it, but the idea that it isn't more technically demanding of the hardware than Pikmin 3 doesn't seem to hold up.

For some reason they didn't talk of any game outside of the first half of 2023. Apart from Pikmin 4 spilling very slightly out of it. I think there were more times often than not where they atleast announced a far off game iirc.
Yeah, I noticed that, too. The Direct seemed oddly "on-topic". Almost like there's some reason why Nintendo doesn't want to talk about most of their H2 games, yet.

Thats what i felt, but then again, that feels more like general direct talk...

Yeah, nintendos coasting. HEAVY reliance on ports, remasters and DLC.
Zelda really book ended this console, what a weird thing.
Switch 2 gets 1 zelda, and it will be on the later end of that console, probably somewhere 2028/29.

It either means, big blowout in the summer for a holiday release... i hope for them, if not, then the sales this year will fall through the floor. Don't expect them to want that. I really hope so...
Next stop: end of FY.

looks more like Zelda was moved to May to give a bump to the next FY more than anything.

maybe we'll get Wind Waker HD & Twilight Princess toward the end of the year if they're stringing out out the remasters. clearly games are ready to go but being delayed to pad out this next year or gulp two.

Been playing Metroid Prime Remastered (I'm a sucker for these games), and it's definitely not just a texture swap + resolution increase. While the layouts are still familiar, they have higher detail/geometry, as well as particle effects not present in the GC/Wii version. And folks are saying that the enemy AI is also tweaked to supposedly be more aggressive on both current difficulties.

I have a feeling that Nintendo is going to shadow drop the other two at points prior to showing us Prime 4.

Been playing Metroid Prime Remastered (I'm a sucker for these games), and it's definitely not just a texture swap + resolution increase. While the layouts are still familiar, they have higher detail/geometry, as well as particle effects not present in the GC/Wii version.

Never played the originals but watched them a bit on Wii. This was the first time playing a game and stopping to put it on the TV. I never play on the TV.

This confirms everything Belmont said a couple years ago - it’s reused collision meshes and everything else is fresh.

And folks are saying that the enemy AI is also tweaked to supposedly be more aggressive on both current difficulties.

I have a feeling that Nintendo is going to shadow drop the other two at points prior to showing us Prime 4.
The reporting that now seems confirmed was - remakes were necessary for 2+3 for engine reasons. Retro’s big original IP gets cancelled, Nintendo puts them on a trilogy remake to get them back on their feet.

Prime 4 development is an “experiment” for Nintendo in a more conventional “modern” dev set up with lots of ancillary studios and Bamco at the helm. The results aren’t great. Nintendo brings in Retro to do level design work (retro and Bamco have worked together on Mario Kart in this way in the past).

Retro’s work on Prime 4 is good, but also, Prime Remake looks really good. If Retro has the engine and the assets and are doing the best work on Prime 4, why is that with Bamco?

4 gets rebooted at Retro, but in order to make that possible, the trilogy remake has to be cut down. The idea was for Retro to do the first one, and then set a template for the remakes which could be moved to other studios.

But there haven’t been any reports of those other studios working on 2+3, and it seems like Retro is still on 4. So, sad for me as I’ve never played any of them, sounds like 2 and 3, if they are coming, are after 4

bold of you to assume Nintendo will acknowledge TTYD

Zelda herself leaking the Switch 2 form factor with her redesigned Shiekah Slate, camera and all.

Foetq9DakAA2bG6

Where's Wind Waker HD and Twilight Princess HD that has been rumoured for almost a year?

Listen, the Direct was mid, somehow Silksong is just not appearing anywhere and at this rate I'm getting a little concerned. But I got one thing:

I got my damn Metroid Prime Remastered, shadow dropped, I am very, very happy with that alone.

Pikmin 4 was a surprise, it looked rougher than the first trailer if I'm being honest, like it's being forced onto Switch for the sake of it. I feel like Drake is the true console Pikmin 4 was made for and we're getting a ported version. Secondly, TOTK...I hate to say this but I am shocked by how it looks, sometimes it looks good but for that whole trailer you can see the strain this console is having with its ambitions. It could look so much better on Drake, it feels a bit held back, BOTW is amazing for the time and still holds up but for a successor this long in development to essentially look and run basically the same has me wishing they would just announce the next console already.

It is disappointing to see it not happen, I still have faith in Holiday 2023 though. The second half is extremely light on any reveals, you cannot discern the future of this console at all from this direct, it's all been held back from us. Which makes me believe the second half holds more surprises in store and my belief that the new console will launch by Christmas.

I think next Direct is going to be the decider for me, this one has given me more questions than answers.

Oh and I got Baiten Kaitos as well, Metroid and Baiten Kaitos and GBA NSO. Yaaaayyyyyy!

The Nintendo fans reaction doesn't matter that much to Nintendo though.
What matters is da money.
And Nintendo fans are far, FAR from enough to avoid the economical disaster that a 2025 release for Drake would be.

Well non Nintendo casual fans. For these people ports will be like new games. Switch sold more than 3DS and Wii and drastically more than GC. So for many casual fans these are like new games. And to be fair with a few touch ups these games can rival Switch games. Prime 1 looks as good as some recent Switch games. Will see how well Prime 1 and Kirby ports sell but if they suddenly sell alot I can see Nintendo just re releasing games to keep the Switch going, it's easy money for them.

Listen, the Direct was mid, somehow Silksong is just not appearing anywhere and at this rate I'm getting a little concerned. But I got one thing:

I got my damn Metroid Prime Remastered, shadow dropped, I am very, very happy with that alone.

Pikmin 4 was a surprise, it looked rougher than the first trailer if I'm being honest, like it's being forced onto Switch for the sake of it. I feel like Drake is the true console Pikmin 4 was made for and we're getting a ported version. Secondly, TOTK...I hate to say this but I am shocked by how it looks, sometimes it looks good but for that whole trailer you can see the strain this console is having with its ambitions. It could look so much better on Drake, it feels a bit held back, BOTW is amazing for the time and still holds up but for a successor this long in development to essentially look and run basically the same has me wishing they would just announce the next console already.

It is disappointing to see it not happen, I still have faith in Holiday 2023 though. The second half is extremely light on any reveals, you cannot discern the future of this console at all from this direct, it's all been held back from us. Which makes me believe the second half holds more surprises in store and my belief that the new console will launch by Christmas.

I think next Direct is going to be the decider for me, this one has given me more questions than answers.

Oh and I got Baiten Kaitos as well, Metroid and Baiten Kaitos and GBA NSO. Yaaaayyyyyy!
agree with all of this but surely they would hold up Zelda if we were getting it later this year. Zelda is the one that is most puzzling and leads you to suspect it will be a longer wait.

presumably Nintendo will be doing enhanced versions of both BOTW & TOTK for the the next system. maybe they hold back DLC to make that inevitable release more appealing.

Well, that Direct had "console's last year" written all over it. Only a couple of new games from 3rd parties, some remasters and reminders about DLC, and no first party games beyond August. I'm now guessing that Nintendo will repeat the Switch's reveal process for its successor with an announcement in October and a release in March.

Not coping. How did they whiff the voice acting so hard again. Ganondoft (?) was some Saturday morning cartoon shit. What a rubbish trailer.

Good for your that you didn't have to deal with the french voice acting then. Prepare for your ears to bleed:

Well, that Direct had "console's last year" written all over it. Only a couple of new games from 3rd parties, some remasters and reminders about DLC, and no first party games beyond August. I'm now guessing that Nintendo will repeat the Switch's reveal process for its successor with an announcement in October and a release in March.
What makes you think they'll release it in March? Every new Nintendo system since GameCube has launched in the holiday season except 3DS and Switch, which were actually both intended to launch then too, but had to be delayed.

What makes you think they'll release it in March? Every new Nintendo system since GameCube has launched in the holiday season except 3DS and Switch, which were actually both intended to launch then too, but had to be delayed.

I have the firm belief in a June/July Direct (I mean, could also be revealed in a typical September time slot as well) will reveal all to us this year.

The nothingburger second half has cemented it to me that one way or another, that direct will answer everything. We will be hearing more about Drake and Prime 4 is absolutely going to be within the launch window alongside a new 2D/3D Mario and potentially news on that new DK game. They're all for Drake.

Nothing in particular. That's just how the Switch was handled. I'd be perfectly happy with a November launch instead.

Assuming the Switch successor builds off the current Switch, it’s could possibly be set to be outstanding as well. It looks to launch with GB, GBA, N64, NES, SNES on NSO and hopefully a bunch of enhancements for BC titles. Would love to see a maxed out version of the Metroid Prime remaster, which to me looks close to a remake.

I agree with people talking about new hardware soon, Prime 4 is going to be last big game of the Switch era and one of the very first upgraded title of the Super Switch era

I know it's all joke and fun, but just for the laughs just go with the thought.

If Nintendo would've teased Drake with TotK's new Sheikah Slate, this would be so fucking wild.
Almost One Piece's Oda level of foreshadowing.

Please read this staff post before posting.

Furthermore, according to this follow-up post, all off-topic chat will be moderated.
Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom