• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

StarTopic Future Nintendo Hardware & Technology Speculation & Discussion |ST| (Read the staff posts before commenting!)

Pokemon performs like crap because of a combination of outdated tools and short development time.
Bayonetta performs more or less the same as most Platinum games.
This is not the best explanation. Probably the worst one? Actually.

The Occam’s Razor explanation is that GF is not a technically-skilled developer, and they stretched themselves too thin between the scope of the game + co-development of PLA.
They are obviously talking objectively, not subjectively. As someone mentioned, FE is very much a tentpole release. And so is Pikmin even if they’ve, in my opinion, mishandled the franchise lol.

No. This is definitely not the best explanation.
Are we forgetting the performance difference of Sun/Moon between regular 3DS and New 3DS? Not only New 3DS improved the framerate, that long loading times were gone.

Also I didn't give the performance of Pokémon as proof for a stronger Switch, the real proof I was talking about Nintendo's attitude towards it. They actually okay'ed a broken game to launch. This is so unlike Nintendo. And TPCi. They should have a fall season without any big games rather than launching a mainline Pokémon title with lowest score. I mean, we're talking about worst performing Nintendo published game here, even worse than Hyrule Warriors 2...

It's clear Nintendo is not immune to the same pressures other devs face, which is the games aren't ready and don't neatly align into marketing launches.
That said, I do wonder if the joint ownership structure of TPC means Nintendo had less of a say with regards to Pokemon

Are we forgetting the performance difference of Sun/Moon between regular 3DS and New 3DS? Not only New 3DS improved the framerate, that long loading times were gone.

Also I didn't give the performance of Pokémon as proof for a stronger Switch, the real proof I was talking about Nintendo's attitude towards it. They actually okay'ed a broken game to launch. This is so unlike Nintendo. And TPCi. They should have a fall season without any big games rather than launching a mainline Pokémon title with lowest score. I mean, we're talking about worst performing Nintendo published game here, even worse than Hyrule Warriors 2...
All that still isn't relevant to a new system. SM had poor performance because they used very high polygon models in battle for no damn reason. Poor development practices aren't fixed by better hardware.

True.

Random note. Dunno why but I've mixed you up with My Tulpa sometimes. You guys are obviously both very different. I know he was/is very pro "Switch Pro." My apologies a few weeks ago.
Nah, no worries. I don't even remember what you're referring to - it gets a little heated in here, but for the most part, folks are chill. I know you're a good egg.

I’ve always classified a Tentpole like this: as raising the tent(sell the console) for others to huddle under,
Historically, the term "tentpole release" comes from film where it means "a solid hit that guarantees enough revenue to spend on unproven talent or experimental film". In Nintendo's world, those games are probably the smaller hits that are cheaper to make that provide the steady stream of revenue that make it possible to fund 5 years of Zelda development. But I think your definition tracks more with what people mean in conversation by it.

Fire Emblem is selling better than it's ever sold, and it is historically a tentpole franchise for Nintendo. There are a lot of Fire Emblem fans who owned a GBA or a 3DS basically just to play Fire Emblem. Heroes has made 3/4 of a billion dollars, and I'm sure they're really hoping those fans will buy a damn Switch.

3+ million sales is a wildly successful 3DS game, but a modest hit on Switch. Nintendo is probably hoping that they can just keep hitting the bell until other Switch users finally take a bite. It worked for Xenoblade

It's clear Nintendo is not immune to the same pressures other devs face, which is the games aren't ready and don't neatly align into marketing launches.
That said, I do wonder if the joint ownership structure of TPC means Nintendo had less of a say with regards to Pokemon
Well, it's their platform and the series is exclusive to their platform. SV were their biggest release of the year, they definitely had a say in this.

And this is the first time Nintendo releasing a huge game in such condition. They have released bad games in the past but this is one of the best game in the series and it has one of the worst technical performances in Nintendo history.
All that still isn't relevant to a new system. SM had poor performance because they used very high polygon models in battle for no damn reason. Poor development practices aren't fixed by better hardware.
Sun/Moon and Smash Bros 4 were used when showcasing the capabilities of New 3DS. They didn't specifically talked about framerate improvements but emphasized how the consoles multitasking ability was once again usable on New 3DS.

That's exactly what I expect them to do with Scarlet and Violet. They're going to fix everything in the game with patches except the framerate. Framerate will remain the same for months to come. Then in the Drake reveal videos, they're going to showcase how Pokémon runs on this new hardware and make it a selling point. And it'll work, millions of Switch owners will upgrade to the new system just to have 60 fps pokémon (and Zelda, of course).

I also totally expect Pikmin 4 and Metroid Prime 4 to struggle on the base system.

That's very unrealistic. The A57 isn't designed for 8nm, neither is Maxwell. Nvidia has to redesign those arches for the node, which is an added cost when you already have IP made on it. Why spend more money to do something worse?

Can’t Nvidia use AI to create it?

For BC, what would be the difference between translation and emulation?

Emulation needs a beefy hardware to emulate since it’s brute forcing the game to run better and at higher resolution.

Translation simply is a software translator that translates code to work on newer hardware (simplified) which needs more powerful hardware to run on

For BC, what would be the difference between translation and emulation?
The high level answer:

Translation takes a program written for one piece of hardware, reads through the binary code for it, and then spits out new binary code for a new piece of hardware.

Emulation leaves the original program alone and makes virtual hardware that the original program can run on.

Translation you do ahead of time, once. Because of this, it can be very fast - but the first startup might take a long time.

Emulation runs in real time, every time. It starts fast but it often needs a beefy machine to emulate even a pretty slow one.

Translation doesn’t mimic the old hardware, so if the new hardware runs faster/slower/different the game might fail.

Emulation can behave like the old hardware in many cases

Translation runs ahead of time, so it’s not great for modding. You need to build a new translator for every hardware you want to translate from and too, and you need to run the translator for every combination

Emulation runs in real time, so it can mod a game while it’s running - replacing textures, upping resolution, remapping inputs or outputs. You can build an emulator for one piece of hardware, port it to new hardware and it “just runs” all the games of the original hardware

TBH - most emulators do translation in the background for performance, and most translators have to do high level emulation of APIs and OSes. So they’re really a spectrum of technologies.

Switch backwards compat could easily be a combination of this and several other technologies.

For example, you might take the main game code and just run it on the ARM processors that are downclocked. Thats hardware support.

But the OS has been upgraded so OS calls from the game have to get captured and redirected to new calls. That’s called shimming.

Meanwhile, the GPU is very different, so the GPU is emulated.

But shaders need to be recompiled and cached so they don’t make the game stutter. That’s translation.

The high level answer:

Translation takes a program written for one piece of hardware, reads through the binary code for it, and then spits out new binary code for a new piece of hardware.

Emulation leaves the original program alone and makes virtual hardware that the original program can run on.

Translation you do ahead of time, once. Because of this, it can be very fast - but the first startup might take a long time.

Emulation runs in real time, every time. It starts fast but it often needs a beefy machine to emulate even a pretty slow one.

Translation doesn’t mimic the old hardware, so if the new hardware runs faster/slower/different the game might fail.

Emulation can behave like the old hardware in many cases

Translation runs ahead of time, so it’s not great for modding. You need to build a new translator for every hardware you want to translate from and too, and you need to run the translator for every combination

Emulation runs in real time, so it can mod a game while it’s running - replacing textures, upping resolution, remapping inputs or outputs. You can build an emulator for one piece of hardware, port it to new hardware and it “just runs” all the games of the original hardware

TBH - most emulators do translation in the background for performance, and most translators have to do high level emulation of APIs and OSes. So they’re really a spectrum of technologies.

Switch backwards compat could easily be a combination of this and several other technologies.

For example, you might take the main game code and just run it on the ARM processors that are downclocked. Thats hardware support.

But the OS has been upgraded so OS calls from the game have to get captured and redirected to new calls. That’s called shimming.

Meanwhile, the GPU is very different, so the GPU is emulated.

But shaders need to be recompiled and cached so they don’t make the game stutter. That’s translation.
Doesn’t SMG in 3DAS do something like that? According to a thread I found on GBAtemp:
Galaxy in particular is really interesting. It appears they recompiled the original code to run natively on the Switch CPU, but everything else (GPU/Audio) is running in the emulator.
Sounds to me like Drake could do the exact same? CPU side already runs native from what I understand, so seems like they could emulate the GPU maybe with some translation on the side? What would be different?

Can’t Nvidia use AI to create it?
Yes and no. It's not so much that it just spits out a design to be used. And even so, why would you still use old ip?

Well, it's their platform and the series is exclusive to their platform. SV were their biggest release of the year, they definitely had a say in this.

And this is the first time Nintendo releasing a huge game in such condition. They have released bad games in the past but this is one of the best game in the series and it has one of the worst technical performances in Nintendo history.

Sun/Moon and Smash Bros 4 were used when showcasing the capabilities of New 3DS. They didn't specifically talked about framerate improvements but emphasized how the consoles multitasking ability was once again usable on New 3DS.

That's exactly what I expect them to do with Scarlet and Violet. They're going to fix everything in the game with patches except the framerate. Framerate will remain the same for months to come. Then in the Drake reveal videos, they're going to showcase how Pokémon runs on this new hardware and make it a selling point. And it'll work, millions of Switch owners will upgrade to the new system just to have 60 fps pokémon (and Zelda, of course).

I also totally expect Pikmin 4 and Metroid Prime 4 to struggle on the base system.
I think Nintendo will do better with those games. Those games have been in development much longer and the franchises have has a good track record. Like a more stable 30 fps. Not expecting 1080p for them though. Certainly not 1080p 60fps.

MP series has historically been a 60fps franchise. So I expect something similar and would be kinda surprised if it's 30fps. They could be both handheld/docked 540-720p 30 or 60fps (for MP4). I can definitely see them leverage/advertise better performance and/or resolution on Drake. MP4 is a given, but I kinda expect that from Pikmin 4.

I can almost see Drake having several performance profiles, with RT enabled as well for one profile. Totk, Pikmin 4, and MP4 are perfect games for them. RT would then lock down games to 30fps most likely.

Control, Minecraft, Quake as showcase third party RT games would be really interesting... Obviously not to the degree of Nvidia 2000 and up cards but still..

Also, GeForce Now on Drake..

This would all come for a price though. Man is this exciting to talk and think about the possibilities.

Last edited:
I think Nintendo will do better with those games. Those games have been in development much longer and the franchises have has a good track record. Like a more stable 30 fps. Not expecting 1080p for them though. Certainly not 1080p 60fps.

MP series has historically been a 60fps franchise. So I expect something similar and would be kinda surprised if it's 30fps. They could be both handheld/docked 540-720p 30 or 60fps (for MP4). I can definitely see them leverage/advertise better performance and/or resolution on Drake. MP4 is a given, but I kinda expect that from Pikmin 4.

I can almost see Drake having several performance profiles, with RT enabled as well for one profile. Totk, Pikmin 4, and MP4 are perfect games for them. RT would then lock down games to 30fps most likely.

Control, Minecraft, Quake as showcase third party RT games would be really interesting... Obviously not to the degree of Nvidia 2000 and up cards but still..

Also, GeForce Now on Drake..

This would all come for a price though. Man is this exciting to talk and think about the possibilities.
Would having more than the expected portable/docked profiles create too much friction with 3rd parties who now hav eto support/test more perf profiles?
Some do optionally built in quality/performance optoons into their games, but those are completely optional game leve profiles. So I am assuming you're talking about hardware clock/DLSS/RT configurations?

So quick question has anyone ever found out what the "F" letter designation in both the GA102F(3090Ti) and GA10F(Drake Switch) means?
As far as I can remember these are the only two Nvidia Ampere products with that letter given to them...

Combined with semi-conductor shortages that have kept install bases lower than they have been in the past which necessitated an expansion of addressable consumers, it just worked out that cross-gen became highly relevant due to bad timing.
Not true, at least relative to history of where the Series X/S and PS5 install base is vs. prior Gen. Covid probably boosted demand more than hurt supply.

Debatable at least.
Through 8 quarters PS5 shipments are 4.3 million behind where PS4 was, and unless it can match 8.4 million this quarter it's falling further behind. I'd totally believe Xbox Series being several million ahead of Xbox One, but since Microsoft's official word for both is "I'm not telling you nothin'!" it's harder to quantify.

I hope cloud ports are less prevalent on Drake. GeForce Now would feel like an easy way out since you could just stream Steam games on a Switch, which I don't think Nintendo would want.
Their sales performance on Switch should make them less common because there will be market data for publishers to see. I also suspect it would not be a good look to have cloud versions on a brand new platform. If cloud games come, it will be in the back end of the platform's life, and maybe, Nintendo will finally have a streaming service then.

So quick question has anyone ever found out what the "F" letter designation in both the GA102F(3090Ti) and GA10F(Drake Switch) means?
As far as I can remember these are the only two Nvidia Ampere products with that letter given to them...
revisions probably. there were more GA10x's before F

Their sales performance on Switch should make them less common because there will be market data for publishers to see. I also suspect it would not be a good look to have cloud versions on a brand new platform. If cloud games come, it will be in the back end of the platform's life, and maybe, Nintendo will finally have a streaming service then.
Nintendo streaming services are interesting to me conceptually. They already have very deep relationships with two of the largest service providers, Google and network infrastructure, and the especially close Nvidia relationship.

I think the most likely outcome is Nintendo NOW running on GeForce now servers (with a hugely simplified UX), with each blade virtualizing multiple consoles. (as opposed to Stadia and Xbox which I believe use 1blade:1console approaches.)

Stadia servers are cheap as chips and extremely reliable and low latency, due to the death of the commercial service but the blades still in use, but I don't think Nintendo would want to deal with an even bigger deal with Google for what would by then be outdated hardware, that's totally different to their hardware and so harder to use, versus GeForce NOW run by their hardware partner, who know how to create and in fact DO create virtualization software for Nintendo consoles for development purposes.

Nintendo NOW- play select games with the Nintendo Switch Online + Expansion Pack Premium membership.

One can dream, one can but dream.

Doesn’t SMG in 3DAS do something like that? According to a thread I found on GBAtemp:
It does indeed.

Sounds to me like Drake could do the exact same? CPU side already runs native from what I understand, so seems like they could emulate the GPU maybe with some translation on the side? What would be different?
Mostly that it’s not ahead of time.

The most tricky part of what Drake needs to do is deal with shaders. Shaders are like GPU programs embedded in the game, and they need to be recompiled for Drake. If you’ve ever heard of #shudderstruggle on PC games, this could potentially introduce it.

The most tricky part of what Drake needs to do is deal with shaders. Shaders are like GPU programs embedded in the game, and they need to be recompiled for Drake. If you’ve ever heard of #shudderstruggle on PC games, this could potentially introduce it.
being fixed hardware, I can see there being storage dedicated to shader cache and removing that cache won't be as frequent as it is for pc games

that and people mostly won't notice it or do notice it and power through it. I mean, Pokemon is still selling gangbusters despite performance

Would having more than the expected portable/docked profiles create too much friction with 3rd parties who now hav eto support/test more perf profiles?
Some do optionally built in quality/performance optoons into their games, but those are completely optional game leve profiles. So I am assuming you're talking about hardware clock/DLSS/RT configurations?
I don't think Nintendo will pressure third parties to make multiple performance profiles for Drake. It depends on them, so we'll see.
I also did say it won't be for free.. $70 games for Drake perhaps.

I do admit I was getting a bit ahead of myself. I can't realistically expect Nintendo to give as much support as MS and Sony, especially for every single game. But with DLSS and RT, it just seems imminent that a lot of games will get more than one profile.

And yeah with multiplat support for switch, it's gonna be crazy, but I don't expect more clock performance profiles than Switch, for Drake. I kinda expect equal amounts for handheld.

I hope cloud ports are less prevalent on Drake. GeForce Now would feel like an easy way out since you could just stream Steam games on a Switch, which I don't think Nintendo would want.
Agreed. Hoping it's more on the switch if anything, but switch first have GeForce now and has whatever cloud gaming it supports.

Was just kind of bringing ideas. Additional Nvidia support something similar to Nvidia Shield.

Edit: whoops wanted to have both replies in one.

revisions probably. there were more GA10x's before F
GA102F isn't a real GPU, it's an internal ID for GA102 being modeled by FPGA. That's what the F suffix means. In GA10F though, the F is not a suffix, it's just part of the name like the B in GA10B. And in that case it indicates a revision.

being fixed hardware, I can see there being storage dedicated to shader cache and removing that cache won't be as frequent as it is for pc games

that and people mostly won't notice it or do notice it and power through it. I mean, Pokemon is still selling gangbusters despite performance
I’m hoping for something like a shader VM :ROFLMAO:

Historically, the term "tentpole release" comes from film where it means "a solid hit that guarantees enough revenue to spend on unproven talent or experimental film". In Nintendo's world, those games are probably the smaller hits that are cheaper to make that provide the steady stream of revenue that make it possible to fund 5 years of Zelda development. But I think your definition tracks more with what people mean in conversation by it.

Fire Emblem is selling better than it's ever sold, and it is historically a tentpole franchise for Nintendo. There are a lot of Fire Emblem fans who owned a GBA or a 3DS basically just to play Fire Emblem. Heroes has made 3/4 of a billion dollars, and I'm sure they're really hoping those fans will buy a damn Switch.

3+ million sales is a wildly successful 3DS game, but a modest hit on Switch. Nintendo is probably hoping that they can just keep hitting the bell until other Switch users finally take a bite. It worked for Xenoblade
My issue with this is the distinction, to an extent, is that it can be applied to other franchises that are under Nintendo‘s belt, and in essence every title that they release will be considered a tentpole release, but that isn’t really true? Like people don’t buy a switch for Metroid, they buy it for a super Mario Bros. People that buy Pokémon are JRPG players to a degree and they can be ones that look to buy a fire emblem game on the side, rather than people buying fire emblem with a Pokémon game on the side.

Fire emblem I can excuse in this case, because it is becoming more well-known especially with the Mobile game, but on the 3DS 1-3 million wasnot that uncommon, and even the 3DS games did over 2 million if I’m not mistaken.

But that’s only 2 in this case.

And for Xenoblade, I love the games but that isn’t a tent pole release either… yet.

Series can become tentpole released with times, but not every title is or should be seen a tent pole release, because it seems like people are making tent pole be synonymous with any first party title. Would it be right to say a game like Labo VR is a tentpole release? Or would it be right to say a game like Mario Kart 8 Deluxe and Pikmin 3 are the exact same as being tentpole release?

Because these two have a very different pull and target a very different audience, and one has a higher chance of having most of its players overlapping with the players of the other games in terms of purchases.

Hence why don’t really see much beyond Zelda dated as being the tent pole release, and the others as the benefitters of these tent pole releases.

I know we're all waiting for a blow your socks off portable-PS4-with-DLSS-RT-and-PS5-games Drake, but I'm kind of looking forward to whatever Nintendo's next skrunkly skringly dingly console. You know like the 2DS. Wii Mini. GameBoy Micro. A TV only X1-based Switch is possible but I'm not sure it would have that "cute" factor. Maybe a clamshell formfactor Drake Lite in a few years?

I think Nintendo is in some sort of agreement with Ubitus as the every Switch cloud game is on Ubitus, even KH despite Square having their own cloud platform. I don't think GeForce Now will be on Switch in any way.
I know we're all waiting for a blow your socks off portable-PS4-with-DLSS-RT-and-PS5-games Drake, but I'm kind of looking forward to whatever Nintendo's next skrunkly skringly dingly console. You know like the 2DS. Wii Mini. GameBoy Micro. A TV only X1-based Switch is possible but I'm not sure it would have that "cute" factor. Maybe a clamshell formfactor Drake Lite in a few years?
I expect Drake to have two different models: Regular and Mini. Very similar to New 3DS launch. In Switch's case, older Switches are expected to be obsolete out of gate as Drake is supposed to have its exclusives, so Switch Lite will also be useless. Maybe this time it'll be even smaller than Lite? No bezels? Swappable faceplates?

I think Nintendo is in some sort of agreement with Ubitus as the every Switch cloud game is on Ubitus, even KH despite Square having their own cloud platform. I don't think GeForce Now will be on Switch in any way.

I expect Drake to have two different models: Regular and Mini. Very similar to New 3DS launch. In Switch's case, older Switches are expected to be obsolete out of gate as Drake is supposed to have its exclusives, so Switch Lite will also be useless. Maybe this time it'll be even smaller than Lite? No bezels? Swappable faceplates?
I don't think the X1 based systems will be obsolete for quite a few years. I don't expect a Drake mini for about 3 years, and while I like the Lite formfactor, I think a clamshell would be more practical. I loved the New 2DS XL's design, visually the best DS model ever IMO, even if I think New 3DS (regular size) is the best DS overall.

That said, what I actually EXPECT is for things to be extremely boring:

Drake next year, top of the line Hybrid.
X1 based TV only console later in the same year, in line with Wii Mini launching alongside Wii U, 2DS XL alongside Switch, etc.
Drake Lite in 2024 or '25. Whatever the name of the Drake Switch is + Lite for the name. Some formfactor as the original Lite with a bigger screen and slightly better cooling and controls.

That said, where I'm unsure is what happens to the Switch family of systems from hereon out. Having 4, 5 or even 6 models all selling at once isn't good for a few reasons. Cuts have to be made. I'd say, most likely;

Original Switch will be discontinued within a year of Drake launching, with OLED slashed to 300$ price point. As I've said before, OLED Model is already the die-shrunk, simplified motherboard, cost reduced model internally.
Lite will continue to be available until Drake Lite releases, at which point the OLED Model will also be discontinued.

AoT shader recompilation will only get you so far. There are cases where shaders get generated at runtime.

That said, Nintendo is pretty well situated to distribute shared shader caches and it's also possible their shader translation will have a somewhat different performance profile that full compilation.

Of course but there’s no reason to really do that, when a CPU already exists on the node that is compatible with what you are aiming to achieve.

It’s just… doing more for no reason.

Nintendo: “You do not appreciate the lengths we are willing to go to disappoint our users.”

Yall really need to stop putting pokemon and game freak as this paragon on performance.
Even if you say that, there's still games like Age of Calamity, Bayonetta 3 in terms of inconsistent frame rates and Personal 5 Strikers' load times that are still damning on the console we have now. There's a line where the console itself is at more fault than the developer.

Pokémon sells better than anything so it will of course be the barometer of the system's capabilities to the mass market

and what the mass market sees is every Pokémon game looking and running worse than the last

AoT shader recompilation will only get you so far. There are cases where shaders get generated at runtime.

That said, Nintendo is pretty well situated to distribute shared shader caches and it's also possible their shader translation will have a somewhat different performance profile that full compilation.
Runtime shader generation doesn’t worry me because whatever compilation stutter might occur, the original game was built for it.

Even if you say that, there's still games like Age of Calamity, Bayonetta 3 in terms of inconsistent frame rates and Personal 5 Strikers' load times that are still damning on the console we have now. There's a line where the console itself is at more fault than the developer.
There has been locked 60fps games since at least the NES times. And no matter how stronger the next generation gets, there will be games which aren't locked 60fps. And that's by design, they chose to push beyond the point where they could achieve locked 60fps.

The Warriors franchise exists since the first PlayStation, 3 generations and a midgen upgrade later and here's a Warriors game dropping to the 20fps on Pro/1X:

We barely started with non-cross gen games and we already have Gotham Knights. And when we start getting Drake exclusives, we will get similar frame rate issues there as well.

Universe 1.5: For reasons of cost/availability/R&D, they settle on using the 8nm process after Nvidia estimates how much the power consumption can be improved with a custom SOC design that prioritizes efficiency where Orin doesn't, removes various unnecessary components, and implements FLCG.

Oldpuck has already responded, but I'd agree with him that the 2x improvement in power efficiency required to make this work is way too much to expect from Drake's GPU. The biggest gen-on-gen power efficiency improvement of recent years without a change in manufacturing process is RDNA to RDNA2, where AMD claimed a 54% improvement in performance per Watt, and that required pretty fundamental changes right across the architecture. Here's AMD's slide on how they hit a 54% improvement:

image-146.png

Nvidia would need almost twice that improvement over Orin's GPU to hit a similar handheld power draw as TX1 (let alone Mariko), which is just too big a stretch for me.

That doesn't mean I'm ruling out 8nm by any means, it just means that if it's 8nm, then I don't think they can run all 12 SMs in portable mode, in a device the same size and form-factor as the current models, with at least as good a battery life as the original model. Something's got to give, whether it's size or battery life or form-factor or whatever. I honestly wouldn't rule out a surprising change to the form factor. We're all assuming this new device is going to be a Switch-but-faster, even though we don't have any conclusive evidence on that front.

Thanks for porting this. To provide context for those who aren't sure what this means, Nvidia assigns a "compute capability" version number to every GPU which precisely defines the GPU architecture used for the purposes of CUDA compilation. So, for example, the Ampere A100 chip is 8.0 (or sm_80), the desktop Ampere chips are 8.6 (sm_86), and Ada chips are 8.9 (sm_89). If you compile CUDA directly to a binary for a specific architecture (which creates a "cubin" file), you have to specify the version you want to compile for, and this determines compatibility. From Nvidia's CUDA documentation:

A cubin generated for a certain compute capability is supported to run on any GPU with the same major revision and same or higher minor revision of compute capability. For example, a cubin generated for compute capability 8.6 is supported to run on a GPU with compute capability 8.9; however, a cubin generated for compute capability 8.9 is not supported to run on a GPU with compute capability 8.6, and a cubin generated with compute capability 8.x is not supported to run on a GPU with compute capability 9.0.

So if you compile for 8.x, then you can run that on a GPU supporting 8.y, so long as y>x, with one caveat that I'll get to later.

Underlying that is the way Nvidia manages their shader ISA. Nvidia's GPUs have used variations of the same shader ISA on GPUs going back for quite a long time now, and one of the benefits of GPU shader ISAs over CPU ISAs is that backwards compatibility isn't really essential. Shaders in PC games are generally run-time compiled, and compute code can be recompiled, or use an intermediate format like PTX with run-time compilation. Nvidia therefore take the opportunity every few years to reboot their shader ISA, dropping support for old instructions or changing behaviour in a way that would break backwards compatibility. These are the major versions of the SM numbers above. Between those, we only see additions to the ISA without breaking backwards compatibility. For example Ada (sm_89) is fully backwards compatible with code compiled for Ampere (sm_80/sm_86), but also adds some new functionality (eg FP8 tensor core instructions).

The specifics of that tweet aren't directly relevant to the new Switch (as it's not going to use an sm_90/sm_90a GPU, which is Hopper), but the topic is definitely of interest, as it relates to two different topics that are still a bit up in the air: backwards compatibility and architectural changes from Orin.

Backwards compatibility on the GPU side is relatively easy to explain when you compare the compute compatibility version numbers of the GPUs. TX1's GM20B GPU is 5.3, and Drake's GA10F GPU is 8.8. There's a difference in major version, so shader code compiled for GM20B won't run directly on GA10F. Console games typically (always?) ship with compiled shaders, which is why this is an issue for console BC, but not for PCs.

That said, it's worth noting that it's not a completely different ISA, so not like moving from ARM to x86 or from a Nvidia CPU ISA to an AMD GPU ISA. Nvidia don't publish full documentation on their shader ISA, but they do provide lists of supported instructions on each architecture, which you can find here. We can see from there that about 75% of the instructions in the Maxwell instruction set are still in place in Ampere, meaning 75% of instructions might not need translation to run on an Ampere GPU. Of course, BC isn't much use unless it covers 100% of an instruction set, and Nvidia and Nintendo need a way of handling the other 25%, along with any idiosyncrasies within those shared instructions.

One option is to fully decompile and recompile each shader. This has the benefit that it's probably the easiest to implement in a crude format (Nvidia already has decompilation tools), and it would work from any source architecture to any target architecture, regardless of whether there's any similarities in the ISA. It would also allow you to make more efficient use of the new architecture (eg the 2xFP32 in Ampere), because you're performing the full compilation for that architecture. The problem is that recompilation can be slow, and if you're performing it at runtime you can get noticeable shader compilation stutter which can be annoying for players.

Another option is binary translation. In this case you don't decompile the code, you just go through the binary one line at a time, leaving in place every instruction that's still supported by the new architecture and replacing every instruction that's no longer supported. The advantage of this is that, compared to recompilation, it's very quick and could probably be performed at runtime with no noticeable performance impact. The disadvantage is that there isn't always a one-to-one mapping of old instructions to new instructions, so it's not necessarily a trivial translation process, even if you're on very similar ISAs.

Some of these changes aren't a big deal. For example, Maxwell supports both DSET (FP64 Compare And Set) and DSETP (FP64 Compare And Set Predicate), whereas Ampere only supports DSETP. I assume you could convert a DSET instruction to a DSETP instruction by simply adding an always true predicate, and FP64 shader code is never used in games anyway, so you can get easy compatibility without having to worry about performance (the commonly used FP32 compare and set instructions are unchanged from Maxwell). However, if you look at the control instructions, there are a lot of changes there, and it's not necessarily obvious how you would precisely match the behaviour of the Maxwell code with Ampere instructions, as Ampere approaches control instructions like synchronisation in a different way.

The other side of these compute capability numbers is that Drake has one to itself: 8.8. Looking at the 8.x family of compute capability, we've got:

8.0 - A100 - HPC Ampere
8.6 - GA102, etc. - Gaming Ampere
8.7 - GA10B - Orin
8.8 - GA10F - Drake
8.9 - AD102, etc - Ada

The fact that it doesn't have compute capability 8.7 means that Drake features some shader compatibility changes from Orin. That is, CUDA code complied for Drake won't run on Orin. One important thing to note here is the caveat I mentioned above: guaranteed forward compatibility of compiled CUDA code within a major version excludes Tegra/SoC GPUs, or at least has done in the past. Orin and Drake are within the standard numbering system, but they're maybe better thought of as a fork off to the side. There's no guarantee that CUDA code compiled for Orin or Drake will run on Ada GPUs.

So there's some additional instructions or features which Drake has over Orin, which aren't necessarily pulled from Ada. I've been thinking about this for a while, and I think the most likely reason for this is actually what I was discussing above. Namely, that Nvidia has added or changed some number of instructions on the Drake shader ISA to more easily facilitate translation-based BC with TX1 shaders. There's not really much else that I can think of which would warrant any change over Orin. The only SM-level changes that could have been back-ported from Ada would have been the updated tensor cores and RT cores, but I think we have good indications from the leak that we're looking at standard Ampere tensor and RT cores. Meanwhile one of the benefits of designing a custom SoC for your new console is that you can make these kinds of changes to achieve better backwards compatibility with existing games.

it seems like a 60fps lumen mode might be more possible than I thought. I do worry about boiling though

The Radeon Vega 8 played 98 fps at 1080p.. it's a 1.1 tflops GPU (part of an APU) and at high textures using GCN 5.0 architecture. Wth.

And then it turns into a 1080p 30fps with lumen on with tsr at 50% and other settings on and off (50% TSR, global illumination and reflections but low textures, etc

Not sure how much the CPU helps in Fortnite with framerate. Because it has to help reach the 98 fps.. which no way a four year old 1.1 tflops GPU could do on Fortnite.

But, Unreal Engine 5 is supported on xbone and ps4. Shouldn't be an issue for Drake then.

Edit: must be an updated Vega 8 GPU. 2 tflops and came out early January 2021 actually, while the APU came out in April 2021.

Last edited:
The Radeon Vega 8 played 98 fps at 1080p.. it's a 1.1 tflops GPU (part of an APU) and at high textures using GCN 5.0 architecture.

And then it turns into a 1080p 30fps with lumen on. Wth.

Not sure how much the CPU helps in Fortnite with framerate.
Yea, the "no gpu" part in the title is flat out wrong.

Yea, the "no gpu" part in the title is flat out wrong.
Yeah it must have been click bait.

The Ryzen 5700g has a really strong CPU. At least when compared to jaguar. The APU itself is a desktop processor from 2021, while Vega 8 is from 2018. 3.8 GHz base clocks with 8 CPU cores and 16 threads on a 7nm tsmc node with 65 watts power draw. Zen 3 CPU. Shiit thats newer and faster than PS5/X series X.

The GPU might actually be 2 tflops though, and released in a January 2021. So an updated Vega 8?

it seems like a 60fps lumen mode might be more possible than I thought. I do worry about boiling though

Quoting you again.. A 2 tflop GPU (more advanced than PS4/xbone) with a CPU that is more powerful than current gen Xbox series X/PS5.. But it ends up running at 1080p and 30 fps with lumens on or 1080p 98 fps without (but with high textures). Soo it's GPU bottlenecked to not reach 60fps on Lumens.

while Unreal Engine 5 is supported on PS4 and xbone, 30 fps is likely the limit then on Fortnite if supported with that engine and Lumen settings.

Last edited:
Without having any idea what the current mood in the room is, just from the fact that Nintendo is not telling us anything about a Zelda game that is supposed to release in 5 months, I can almost believe there will be at least a hardware revision coming in time for that game's release, & they're only not telling us right now because holiday sales.

Am I the only one?

Without having any idea what the current mood in the room is, just from the fact that Nintendo is not telling us anything about a Zelda game that is supposed to release in 5 months, I can almost believe there will be at least a hardware revision coming in time for that game's release, & they're only not telling us right now because holiday sales.

Am I the only one?

You’re probably in the majority on this one - at least in this thread.

Am I the only one?

I still firmly believe Zelda will be a launch title for Switch 2 and BC for Switch 1, just as BoTW and Twilight Princess was for their respective hardware.

I still firmly believe Zelda will be a launch title for Switch 2 and BC for Switch 1, just as BoTW and Twilight Princess was for their respective hardware.

You’re probably in the majority on this one - at least in this thread.

Good to know I am not crazy.

I am torn on whether I want a new console or a Switch revision tho cause I am running out of space under my TV and I already have 2 Switches. I really don't need a third. And a new console would need to be backwards compatible because otherwise how am i getting through my backlog?

I am positive TotK will run on the OG Switch as well, but when it comes to Zelda, I always need to play the best version, so I am torn af xD

Good to know I am not crazy.

I am torn on whether I want a new console or a Switch revision tho cause I am running out of space under my TV and I already have 2 Switches. I really don't need a third. And a new console would need to be backwards compatible because otherwise how am i getting through my backlog?

I am positive TotK will run on the OG Switch as well, but when it comes to Zelda, I always need to play the best version, so I am torn af xD

I think TOTK will launch day 1 with Drake support, but I'm almost certain the Drake Switch will come out before it.

Two words:

Golden Week.

If Nintendo wants a H1 launch and it's slated for CY2023 Q2, that means an April launch if it's not a March one. As others have pointed out, special edition consoles lately have come out two weeks BEFORE the game they're attached to. Launching two weeks before TOTK buts the Drake Switch in late April, but importantly, BEFORE Golden Week.

Please read this staff post before posting.

Furthermore, according to this follow-up post, all off-topic chat will be moderated.
Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom