• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

StarTopic Future Nintendo Hardware & Technology Speculation & Discussion |ST| (Read the staff posts before commenting!)

Its so lovely to think COD will finally return to a nintendo console. I hope that moves EA and they start doing Battlefield too : )

Imagining that this isnt for the switch, would it be right to say that the next console will most likely have a few more standard features? No, not just better hardware. Im talking about things like

- Built in mic as thats such a important thing on cod.
-achievements system? (Finally?)

Probably other stuff i dont know.

Indeed.
I wouldn't expect anything before late 2025.
Maybe 2024 if they go with a dirty port job of the mobile game.
No reason for it to take that long. The 2024 game is already in development, and if the deal goes through, that gives AB a year and a half to port the game. That's longer than Switch miracle ports get

Wait, what? What new news has landed?

It's prolly because Phil, of Microsoft fame, was talking about "bringing CoD to the Nintendo" when the news about the 10 year agreement was made public.

Given the deal talks about dev starting mid/late 2023, it's kinda given Phil doesn't mainly think of the base Switch versions we have now.

Wait, what? What new news has landed?
I guess it's just a side-effect of the announcement from Microsoft about bringing Call of Duty on Nintendo platforms for the next 10 years.

EDIT: Bonejack's reply was faster and more accurate :)

The 10 year agreement means that Switch 2 won't come out til 2032. Tegra X1+ forever. CoD will run at exactly 59 FPS because they couldn't hit 60.

The 10 year agreement means that Switch 2 won't come out til 2032. Tegra X1+ forever. CoD will run at exactly 59 FPS because they couldn't hit 60.

images

Orin Nano 8GB, and Orin NX 8GB.

Orin Nano in general is an interesting datapoint for Drake. It clocks memory at 2133MHz, is substantially more efficient than the AGX devkit flashed to "nano mode", is quite a bit smaller than Drake, but still is a little power hungry for the Switch.

I think there is time between February and August for Hovi to decide to go with fewer SMs enabled, and higher clocks, for either yield or battery life reasons. If Orin Nano 8GB topped out at 10W I'd think, okay, maybe there are enough wins somewhere to go with the full 12, or to at least shoot for 12 then pull back to 8.

But Nano's 8SMs are at only 640Mhz, and only runs 6 CPUs at 1.5Ghz, and has the smallest memory config I can imagine for Drake (8GB@2133Mhz), and still hits 15W. It's still too power hungry, but it's perf/power ratio is actually higher than Jensen said it would be in 2019, so it doesn't feel like that should have surprised anyone.

I think the burden of proof that Drake is not on the same process node as Orin - and in fact, the entire Ampere line - is pretty high, but that really feels like the nail in the Samsung 8nm coffin.

Orion NX Models use 8GB RAM. I believe AGX ones are 16 and 32 GB

Alright, thank you both on this! I actually missed that.

We all know Nintendos history in the powerpc era, but in the Switch (or should I say Nvidia)) era I donโ€™t feel your criticism is warranted.

While the tx1 wasnโ€™t the most up to date soc in 2017, it was still reasonably modern in terms of gpu. A huge step in the right direction from the Wii U.

And while Drake doesnโ€™t have the latest architecture, ampere is still very modern in terms of tech and featureset, and the configuration in terms of core counts is pretty much maxed out in that form factor.
Letโ€™s not get it twisted, the original post was about releasing it because if not itโ€™ll get outdated and that theyโ€™ll milk the switch, I only said that its already outdated, arguing that if Nintendo cared about being the exact latest and greatest they would have had something sooner than later. To argue that itโ€™ll become outdated now? Too late for that.

And current ARM SOCs can go beyond that configuration of 8 cores, and it isnโ€™t the first SoC to use the C variant from ARM cortex in a big configuration
Was every previous Nintendo console outdated when it released and if so, compared to what?
Yes, Iโ€™m not sure if this part of the question is serious. With parts being recycled. Last true edge consoles was the PS3 and 360, former used a processor no one else had (but no one wanted to develop for) and the latter had a GPU that microsoft didnโ€™t allow on the PC space for a few years.

Last edited:
Anyone here with an OpenAI account that can let it write a limerick about Drake and the (mis)adventures of this thread? I'm feeling festive xD .

Also, I haven't forgotten the great Lich Readbetter of DF fame's comments about dev kits being out and the obviousness of new Nintendo hardware after 6 years. But, for me personally, combining a nicely specced PC with Switch has definitely taken the sting out of the desire for updated hardware.

Unless this augury was divined by a legitimate haruspex through haruspicy, I'm not buying it.

Youโ€™re right to be skeptical! Fortunately, the key details were confirmed by a tyromancer acquaintance of mine using auspiciously misshapen Kraft singles. Next, Iโ€™m going to ask about the release date of Retroโ€™s missing 3d platformer, followed by what generation weโ€™ll be on when we finally get a Mario rpg not dominated by toads.

Yes, Iโ€™m not sure if this part of the question is serious. With parts being recycled. Last true edge consoles was the PS3 and 360, former used a processor no one else had (but no one wanted to develop for) and the latter had a GPU that microsoft didnโ€™t allow on the PC space for a few years.
Why donโ€™t you think Iโ€™m being serious? Wasnโ€™t the N64 using pretty advanced technology for its time? I guess my real question is are you lambasting Nintendo for releasing โ€œoutdatedโ€ hardware or are you simply pointing out that it will always be the reality for all consoles going forward? Are you personally disappointed that Drake will be outdated? I think some of this back and forth is probably just a misunderstanding of stances.

Edit: also, how important is it for a console to be current or top of the line at its launch, if thatโ€™s even possible these days? And even if it was, wouldnโ€™t it just become outdated within months due to stronger PC or mobile hardware coming out shortly after? Is it a reasonable, worthwhile target and, if achieved, for how long would it hold that title.

Itโ€™s also important to remember costs, as consoles aim at a different market. Consoles are underpowered and outdated the same way budget oriented graphics cards are. That is, I wouldnโ€™t consider them to be outdated for their price range as well as the functionality they provide (hybrid), which canโ€™t be directly compared. I mean in terms of portability, PS5 and XBS are so far outdated that they donโ€™t even exist!

Last edited:
Why donโ€™t you think Iโ€™m being serious? Wasnโ€™t the N64 using pretty advanced technology for its time? I guess my real question is are you lambasting Nintendo for releasing โ€œoutdatedโ€ hardware or are you simply pointing out that it will always be the reality for all consoles going forward? Are you personally disappointed that Drake will be outdated? I think some of this back and forth is probably just a misunderstanding of stances.

Edit: also, how important is it for a console to be current or top of the line at its launch, if thatโ€™s even possible these days? And even if it was, wouldnโ€™t it just become outdated within months due to stronger PC or mobile hardware coming out shortly after? Is it a reasonable, worthwhile target and, if achieved, for how long would it hold that title.

Itโ€™s also important to remember costs, as consoles aim at a different market. Consoles are underpowered and outdated the same way budget oriented graphics cards are. That is, I wouldnโ€™t consider them to be outdated for their price range as well as the functionality they provide (hybrid), which canโ€™t be directly compared. I mean in terms of portability, PS5 and XBS are so far outdated that they donโ€™t even exist!
lets not forget that series x and ps5 raytracing is generations behind nvidia cards implementation

Concessions have to be made depending on the targeted experience of said hardware

Nintendo (may) want to keep a hybrid approach to hardware and concessions will be made to hit that balanced experience

Sure! Here's a Christmas song about the Super Nintendo Switch, also known as "Drake":

Deck the halls with boughs of holly,
Famiboards are feeling jolly,
'Cause the Super Nintendo Switch is here,
With 4K graphics, oh so clear!

They call it Drake, the gaming beast,
Enhanced by NVIDIA, at least,
The lovable nerds are all aflutter,
For this console, they'll happily splutter.

Oh, Drake, oh Drake, how wonderful you are,
Bringing joy to gamers near and far,
You'll be the highlight of our Christmas cheer,
Super Nintendo Switch, we hold you dear.

So let us all raise a glass,
To the Super Nintendo Switch at last,
Merry Christmas to all, and to all a good night,
With Drake by our side, everything will be all right.

there once was a portable system
that Nintendo had specced out with wisdom
with an ARM CPU and NVidia too
such a leap was this portable system

but the internetโ€™s filled up with nerds
who begin to make guesses absurd
โ€œItโ€™s no hybridโ€ they say
โ€œIt just plugs in and stays!โ€
these adorable Famiboard nerds

there once was a portable system
that Nintendo had specced out with wisdom
with an ARM CPU and NVidia too
such a leap was this portable system

but the internetโ€™s filled up with nerds
who begin to make guesses absurd
โ€œItโ€™s no hybridโ€ they say
โ€œIt just plugs in and stays!โ€
these adorable Famiboard nerds
Confound that damn Wellerman song that's stuck in my head yet again for the umpteenth time since this damn pandemic started

Iโ€™m liking this current trend more than the boom and bust cycles weโ€™ve had the past several months

simply pointing out that it will always be the reality for all consoles going forward
Just this.

This is the answer within your post, PS5 has a hybrid Frankenstein, and the Series X is mostly RDNA2.

But both use a CPU a whole gen behind.

It is what it is.

Letโ€™s not get it twisted, the original post was about releasing it because if not itโ€™ll get outdated and that theyโ€™ll milk the switch, I only said that its already outdated, arguing that if Nintendo cared about being the exact latest and greatest they would have had something sooner than later. To argue that itโ€™ll become outdated now? Too late for that.
while the original poster might've phrased it with a bit too much urgency, I think there's some value to the notion that the longer Nintendo hypothetically sits on this design the shorter its life of external software will be as the industry moves forward

i.e. I think Drake in 2023 would be non-negligibly better than 2024

the engines and games dont run until one day it works and runs
I genuinely think it's FAR more likely that the judicious use of "Nintendo" and not Nintendo Switch, alongside the sheer GIRTH of these games even on next gen systems, means that the next Call of Duty will land dutifully on Nintendo Switch's successor, Drake.

Exciting times to have what appears to be the first game, or at least, franchise, to be announced for Drake; Call of Duty.

I genuinely think it's FAR more likely that the judicious use of "Nintendo" and not Nintendo Switch, alongside the sheer GIRTH of these games even on next gen systems, means that the next Call of Duty will land dutifully on Nintendo Switch's successor, Drake.

Exciting times to have what appears to be the first game, or at least, franchise, to be announced for Drake; Call of Duty.
If i remember correctly, Spencer in a interview speaks about create a switch expert tech team for porting the futures CoDs on switch.

But yeah, is probably that the next CoD release will be coming to Switch and Drake. Probably, the future MW2+Ghost Expansion

If i remember correctly, Spencer in a interview speaks about create a switch expert tech team for porting the futures CoDs on switch.
I'd like to see a source on that; though even if it is the next Switch, a Switch tech team would be incredibly advantageous. Remember that every other platform it's going to is x86 based and targets AMD GPUs first and foremost. Nintendo Switch is pretty unique in being the Nvidia console that uses and will continue to use ARM unless and until RISC-V or otherwise becomes the preferred alternative, for instance due to the current problems we see with ARM (the company).

I'd like to see a source on that; though even if it is the next Switch, a Switch tech team would be incredibly advantageous. Remember that every other platform it's going to is x86 based and targets AMD GPUs first and foremost. Nintendo Switch is pretty unique in being the Nvidia console that uses and will continue to use ARM unless and until RISC-V or otherwise becomes the preferred alternative, for instance due to the current problems we see with ARM (the company).

Like minecraft, they build different teams for the support of different versions, and a team has the focus of make the support of Switch silicon

Spencer is committing to a decade of support. Even the most die-hards don't expect Switch to last for another 10 years. Spencer committing to 10 years of Switch support for Call of Duty would be insane.

I don't think there is especial code here, I think it's pretty explicit. We've got a 10 year commitment, worked out with Nintendo, to bring CoD to their platforms, whatever that platform is.

I can't imagine the nature of that deal. They could simply choose to port the game, no need for an intact agreement. Either King Blizzardsoft Microvision is making the 10 year commitment with no strings purely to cover their butts from a regulatory perspective, or Nintendo is offering them some portion of her per-unit sales cut that they would usually take in order to guarantee that CoD comes to their platform, and generates hardware sales. The latter certainly indicates a nintendo unusually responsive to third parties.

none of those aspects matter and haven't mattered for years. hell, Warzone is supposedly coming to mobile in the IW engine

Damn, Switch 2 will need a minimum of 3 SD card slots.
If we're lucky.. fill up a 32 GB card slot and the rest in eShop.

The file size should be brought down though from the other versions. Drake's decompression hardware, as well as not having to worry about 4k textures/resolution and RT. A good chunk of it is the videos and language. Important to note that current gen PS5/x series s games usually take up less space than their PS4/xbone counterparts and that's because the CPU is much faster (and I think the SSD comes into play as well?) Than the jaguars. Duplicate files don't have to be made.

Maybe we'll get 50GB games? We'll see.

Treyarch had a dedicated team for a bunch of cod online multiplayer games on Wii and Wii U ( cod waw, cod4, cod:bo, cod:mw3, cod:bo2, and cod:ghosts). They did a phenomenal job. It's a shame they had to be disbanded after Ghosts.

Last edited:
none of those aspects matter and haven't mattered for years. hell, Warzone is supposedly coming to mobile in the IW engine
Claiming that a difference in architecture that large doesn't matter at all isn't entirely accurate. Especially when you have to consider optimisations.

Wasnโ€™t there a rumour going around that the STEEP port for Switch was cancelled because Ubisoft was having too much trouble porting AnvilNext to it?

Anyways, guess what engine Immortals Fenyx Rising runs on

I still think the cutout we heard about might be for an m.2 slot
I'm almost certain that it isn't, there's so many reasons to stick with SD, even SDe. For one, unlike M.2, Nintendo is actually part of the SD consortium. It would be weird for them to drop support for what is ostensibly their own product, even if they share that product with dozens of other companies with members.

Though almost certain isn't total certainty. I will say, it would have to be one of the super small formfactor ones. Heat dissipation might be an issue. And unlike SD, having the slot exposed when the kickstand is deployed might be suboptimal. I don't see Nintendo putting a screw fit cover on the memory expansion slot of their handheld- except they did do it when they first moved to MicroSD Card with New 3DS (XL).

I don't know, if anything I think the indent we heard about is just the SD card slot or the mounting holes for the kickstand like we have on OLED Model.

Or it could be an SDe (express) card slot that has more room around it for better heat dissipation.

I just can't see a future where Nintendo abandons SD after years of having say in its design and implementation.

Forgive me if I repeat myself.

This is nonsense, a game engine doesn't have intrinsic performance demands. At most, some engine features (like ray tracing) could require a certain level of power to hit a baseline result, and if you can't hit it you're better off disabling the feature. But if your game engine can run on an ARM CPU (which is something the compiler has to worry about, not you) and an Nvidia GPU, it can run on the Switch.

Claiming that a difference in architecture that large doesn't matter at all isn't entirely accurate. Especially when you have to consider optimisations.
that's inherent even between x86 and DX12/Vulkan hardware. while not exactly the same, ARM/x86 isn't far removed. the work is extra, but not enough to prevent projects from happening

I can't imagine the nature of that deal. They could simply choose to port the game, no need for an intact agreement. Either King Blizzardsoft Microvision is making the 10 year commitment with no strings purely to cover their butts from a regulatory perspective, or Nintendo is offering them some portion of her per-unit sales cut that they would usually take in order to guarantee that CoD comes to their platform, and generates hardware sales. The latter certainly indicates a nintendo unusually responsive to third parties.
If this Nintendo/Microsoft deal was in isolation, it might be more worthy of speculation. As is we know they have made the deal or offered the deal to multiple partners, and it just seems to amount to "Look, we're not going to make it exclusive anytime soon, OK? We'll put it in writing if you don't believe us!"

Wasnโ€™t there a rumour going around that the STEEP port for Switch was cancelled because Ubisoft was having too much trouble porting AnvilNext to it?

Anyways, guess what engine Immortals Fenyx Rising runs on
I think the steep port was cancelled because the game sold very poor on the other platforms

I think the steep port was cancelled because the game sold very poor on the other platforms
I think, having played it myself, part of it may have been the always online, constant microtransactions part of it that Nintendo's infrastructure and the fact it's a portable may have made more difficult (and thus less profitable).

STEEP is absolutely egregious with it, about half of your quick select menu to switch from skiis to snowboard taken up by microtransactions to unlock the other sports, that open the store if you accidentally select it. To put it mildly, I don't think STEEP was much of a loss given the state of it.

Please read this staff post before posting.

Furthermore, according to this follow-up post, all off-topic chat will be moderated.
Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom