• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

StarTopic Future Nintendo Hardware & Technology Speculation & Discussion |ST| (Read the staff posts before commenting!)

Regardless of what‘s happening next year, I‘m very confident that we‘ll see some kind of new hardware by then. In new-switch-hardware-every-2 years-cycle I trust.

Define "people." We've gotten some thread drivebys from folks who clearly don't know how to read the patent and are asking, in earnestness, for an expert opinion if it means anything and getting the same answer, which is "no."

I don't wish to deny anyone their humanity, they are people. I wasn't referring to the person asking the question, in fact, the question itself referred to 'people' who thought it meant Switch Pro.

Hello everyone. I’m a long time lurker since the gaf days and have only now registered, inspired by a marvelous dream. As you know, in the Middle Ages some dreams were accorded the status of portents, and I am confident that this dream is a true prognostication.

Despite some of the very clever guesses earlier in the thread, none of you hit upon the true name of the switch successor. The name is this :

Switch: Game and Watch Big One

Most of you have also been expecting a single successor device. This is incorrect. The next switch will launch in four different versions: 2.5, 3.0, 4.0, and 5.0. (This means that the full name of the device would be, for example, Switch: Game and Watch Big One 2.5.) The 2.5 version will see a modest but noticeable bump in power compared to the original switch. The 5.0, on the other hand, will outperform the beefiest pc, with the help of a dock that stands four feet tall.

The joycons have been redesigned to be more ergonomic, though this does add a little width to the device.

The dream didn’t end there, though. In a shocking move, Nintendo will once again be splitting their development teams into handheld and console divisions. That’s right: holiday season 2024 will see the launch of a DS successor line, featuring clamshell design and foldable screen. It will launch with a new 2d Mario that will finally abandon the “new” moniker and embrace a radical new style. The primary purpose of launching this new DS device is to bring back all of your personal favorites that you feared were lost forever with the jump to the switch.

Regarding the all-important launch date of the new switch, I am afraid the dream was not clear. I assume it will be some time before the new DS line.

There. I hope you can all be at peace now. Nate can feel free to confirm all of this info as he sees fit.

(Yes, this was a real dream I had last night. I figured it was a sign I had been following this thread too long. I’m also home with a fever today — that might have something to do with it. Thanks to you all for all the diversion you’ve provided me over the years.)

Regardless of what‘s happening next year, I‘m very confident that we‘ll see some kind of new hardware by then. In new-switch-hardware-every-2 years-cycle I trust.
It is very rare to have two calendar years go by without at least a new portable model from Nintendo. This century I think the only time was 2015 & 2016? New 3DS and New 3DS XL hit Japan late 2014, then Switch was early 2017. Before that 1999 and 2000, between GBC and GBA. Before that, the gap between Game Boy and Game Boy Pocket was plenty big.

This device isn’t coming with Zelda. Too many negative signals. Ah well.

If the device is cancelled or pushed back indefinitely then I’d be fuming if I were a dev having worked on a game for 18 months.

E5-D4-E6-EE-E906-47-C7-9515-30-D41-E5-A7248.jpg

I read this as

Up to 3 years until a successor Switch console at which point that’s when Nintendo would likely increase game prices. The feeling forever bit would be because current Switch will still be the main Nintendo console for the next few years.

I read this as

Up to 3 years until a successor Switch console at which point that’s when Nintendo would likely increase game prices. The feeling forever bit would be because current Switch will still be the main Nintendo console for the next few years.
MS didn't raise prices until 2 years after their new console launched. Why should we expect Nintendo to follow Sony but not MS? Feels like it could simply go either way IMO.

Hello everyone. I’m a long time lurker since the gaf days and have only now registered, inspired by a marvelous dream. As you know, in the Middle Ages some dreams were accorded the status of portents, and I am confident that this dream is a true prognostication.

Despite some of the very clever guesses earlier in the thread, none of you hit upon the true name of the switch successor. The name is this :

Switch: Game and Watch Big One

Most of you have also been expecting a single successor device. This is incorrect. The next switch will launch in four different versions: 2.5, 3.0, 4.0, and 5.0. (This means that the full name of the device would be, for example, Switch: Game and Watch Big One 2.5.) The 2.5 version will see a modest but noticeable bump in power compared to the original switch. The 5.0, on the other hand, will outperform the beefiest pc, with the help of a dock that stands four feet tall.

The joycons have been redesigned to be more ergonomic, though this does add a little width to the device.

The dream didn’t end there, though. In a shocking move, Nintendo will once again be splitting their development teams into handheld and console divisions. That’s right: holiday season 2024 will see the launch of a DS successor line, featuring clamshell design and foldable screen. It will launch with a new 2d Mario that will finally abandon the “new” moniker and embrace a radical new style. The primary purpose of launching this new DS device is to bring back all of your personal favorites that you feared were lost forever with the jump to the switch.

Regarding the all-important launch date of the new switch, I am afraid the dream was not clear. I assume it will be some time before the new DS line.

There. I hope you can all be at peace now. Nate can feel free to confirm all of this info as he sees fit.

(Yes, this was a real dream I had last night. I figured it was a sign I had been following this thread too long. I’m also home with a fever today — that might have something to do with it. Thanks to you all for all the diversion you’ve provided me over the years.)
wow-inmfc1r.gif

It also wasn’t ‘dated’ on release. It was a phenomenon for most people playing a game like Breath of the Wild on a portable games system.
You can’t spell ignorant without IGN.

(please don’t report me, this was an actual shirt they sold during their edgelord era)

edit: removing slut which is something I distinctly remember from the late 90s but has justifiably been elided.

edit 2: reader, after a deep dive on the Wayback Machine I can confirm it was in fact an IGN Insider-Only shirt that was sold for a couple years starting in 2002.

What a time that was.

Last edited:
MS didn't raise prices until 2 years after their new console launched. Why should we expect Nintendo to follow Sony but not MS? Feels like it could simply go either way IMO.

It could do for sure, 2-3 years just lines up to when an actual successor console would launch in my mind.

All this talk makes me wonder if Nintendo shelved the idea of a Pro upgrade and instead decided to add onto that hardware and release it as a full revision.

Couldn't a lot of it be for the building of their new HQ building?
A company's buildings are "fixed assets", unless they are in the business of selling or renting properties. The building construction materials are thus "non-current assets". They are not "raw materials" for manufacturing "finished goods".

With the rumors of an H1 release, does that mean a realise in Q2 (April - June)?
As @ILikeFeet pointed out, a company can modify their financial forecasts, which Nintendo's done a few times, therefore it isn't a great indicator. That said, companies tend not to modify forecasts frequently to avoid losing credibility in the financial market. So your supposition is not a bad one, considering TotK's launch day in May.

We will forever live in an era where the dumb "pro" name is attached to this lol.

"It’s possible that Nintendo and Nvidia are keeping secrets and will surprise launch a Switch Pro in summer of 2023, but that would be an aggressive timeline for a Switch sequel that’s not yet officially announced, or even hinted. Belief in such miracles requires an unhealthy dose of hopium."

We will forever live in an era where the dumb "pro" name is attached to this lol.

I 100% agree it's time for new hardware. I barely even touch my Switch anymore. I'll play Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom but honestly I mostly moved on. Love Nintendo's IP but the visuals and performance are just to poor for my taste.

"It’s possible that Nintendo and Nvidia are keeping secrets and will surprise launch a Switch Pro in summer of 2023, but that would be an aggressive timeline for a Switch sequel that’s not yet officially announced, or even hinted. Belief in such miracles requires an unhealthy dose of hopium."
Lol

I like that in the same sentence they refer to it as a Switch Pro and a Switch sequel.

That's a consistent train of thought for ya

I 100% agree it's time for new hardware. I barely even touch my Switch anymore. I'll play Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom but honestly I mostly moved on. Love Nintendo's IP but the visuals and performance are just to poor for my taste.
Thanks to ign article … Nintendo will delay it until the end of time 😂😂

Hot damn this thread is the pits sometimes. Nate says something totally innocuous and we get the doom train again.

Right now it does feel like we’ll be on X1+ forever - performance is the pits and we haven’t had any reporting on the successor in ages. And the 3 year comment? If it’s a hint at anything, and I doubt it is, it could also mean that Nintendo will continue to make X1+ content for another 3 years, and that’s really not that far off from what many we’re guessing in the first place.

I will assuredly have spent more time reading speculation than I will end up actually playing on this thing once it releases. Sometimes it makes me wonder if I’m using my free time effectively.
But think about that sweet feeling when all is revealed. That’s the time you’ll know it was all worth it. Been through this through almost every Nintendo generation 😊

But think about that sweet feeling when all is revealed. That’s the time you’ll know it was all worth it. Been through this through almost every Nintendo generation 😊
First hype generation for me was N64.

The way I think of it is this — most people I know spend an inordinate amount of time and energy following sports.

For some perverse reason, I follow video game sales and release schedules instead.

I blame some obscure facet of my upbringing.

First hype generation for me was N64.

The way I think of it is this — most people I know spend an inordinate amount of time and energy following sports.

For some perverse reason, I follow video game sales and release schedules instead.

I blame some obscure facet of my upbringing.
I think you'll fit in here juuuuust right

I don’t think I’ve followed any hardware launches at this level before. To be frank nothing has clicked like the Switch has - it’s like getting my first decent laptop. It’s such an ‘essential’ device in my life now and I desperately want to see the tech improve.

Before I go back to lurking, just wanted share one thing slightly OT. For those too impatient to wait for a 4K Switch, I'd suggest that you try daisy-chaining the mClassic dongle and the newly released 4K Gamer Pro dongle for a decent graphical upgrade for the time being. The former adds anti-aliasing (seems like SMAA to me), and the latter upscales to 4K (seems like Lanczos resampling). On both my TV and portable monitor, the image quality has never been better. A cheap setup this isn't though; unless you already have an mClassic dongle lying around, it may not be worth the combined cost.

Before I go back to lurking, just wanted share one thing slightly OT. For those too impatient to wait for a 4K Switch, I'd suggest that you try daisy-chaining the mClassic dongle and the newly released 4K Gamer Pro dongle for a decent graphical upgrade for the time being. The former adds anti-aliasing (seems like SMAA to me), and the latter upscales to 4K (seems like Lanczos resampling). On both my TV and portable monitor, the image quality has never been better. A cheap setup this isn't though; unless you already have an mClassic dongle lying around, it may not be worth the combined cost.

Whats the chain ? Switch 1080p -> mClassic 1080p -> 4K gamer 2160p?

Hopium?

When arguably the largest publisher in the industry are told Q2 ‘23 per mid last month then it’s Q2 ‘23.

PS4 Pro performance.
12GB Ram.
DLSS.
RT.
Exclusive launch window ports.

Believe me or don’t. I don’t give a shit.
I hope you are right. I want to believe.

Hopium?

When arguably the largest publisher in the industry are told Q2 ‘23 per mid last month then it’s Q2 ‘23.

PS4 Pro performance.
12GB Ram.
DLSS.
RT.

I like the attitude

Hopium?

PS4 Pro performance.
12GB Ram.
DLSS.
RT.

My wallet will be ready.

But I don’t know if I would have time :(

Though potential launch widow exclusive ports I’m interested are RDR2, Cyberpunk 2077, FFVIIR1 and maybe Wo Long.

I have faith we will see various capcom exclusives but later.

Hopium?

PS4 Pro performance.
12GB Ram.
DLSS.
RT.

Which publisher? Wtf did I miss I haven't been following this

Umm… out of morbid curiosity, what power would a die shrunk TX1 have? 8nm? 5? As long as we’re joking about it, I’d like to know what we could expect from one. 🤷‍♂️ Like, enough power to make BOTW full 1080p? 1080p60?

Hopium?

PS4 Pro performance.
12GB Ram.
DLSS.
RT.

Nothing to believe at that time… don’t worry … but this cycling … and it’s funny. 😉

Umm… out of morbid curiosity, what power would a die shrunk TX1 have? 8nm? 5? As long as we’re joking about it, I’d like to know what we could expect from one. 🤷‍♂️ Like, enough power to make BOTW full 1080p? 1080p60?
Here's a whole channel showcasing overclocked Mariko, which is a nice peek of seeing boosted performance on actual hardware.
BotW, Xeno 3, Nier Automata, No Man's Sky, Skyrim, Persona 5, SMTV - basically locked 60 handheld.
So I imagine a TX1++ could do better, if they tapped into its full potential (and obviously Drake, by a longshot)

Yes, that's how I connect them.
Thank you. I'll give it a shot on my 4K TV. The 4K Gamer Pro didn't convince me at first because it just looks like edge enhancement, but if it really makes a difference then I'll gladly use it with the mClassic.

This is something I’d look into but not sure if I could justify the expense.

Then again, one of the main reasons I’m looking forward to a new switch is so I can finally take advantage of my LG C1. As of right now, I don’t have any capable devices.

I’ve been tempted to just get a ps5 or series x, but would hold off if I knew a switch revision was coming within the next year.

Who am I kidding, though? My wife and I have a newborn, so I’m not gaming for a long time. Drake for 2027 — I might have some free time then!

This is something I’d look into but not sure if I could justify the expense.

Then again, one of the main reasons I’m looking forward to a new switch is so I can finally take advantage of my LG C1. As of right now, I don’t have any capable devices.

I’ve been tempted to just get a ps5 or series x, but would hold off if I knew a switch revision was coming within the next year.

Who am I kidding, though? My wife and I have a newborn, so I’m not gaming for a long time. Drake for 2027 — I might have some free time then!
As a fellow Grown Ass Man with a Grown Ass Life may I gently prod you in the direction of... handheld mode?

Totally pulling the charging cable out of the dock, slapping it into the same power strip as my phone on my bedside table, and moving my Switch there has hugely increased the amount of time I play. Admitting I'd never play on the TV made changing the setup to optimize for handheld mode means it is a zero labor process to pop out 30 minutes of Nier Automata before bed, which helps me stay in games I might lose track of in the weeks between "real" play sessions.

Please read this staff post before posting.

Furthermore, according to this follow-up post, all off-topic chat will be moderated.
Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom