• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

StarTopic Future Nintendo Hardware & Technology Speculation & Discussion |ST| (Read the staff posts before commenting!)

Games still doing well at $60 is also why I remain unconvinced of the (irritating) hypothetical that "Nintendo won't do BC because they want to repackage every Switch game as a full price Deluxe Switch 2 edition".

As if BC would stop them from doing that eventually, heh.

I expect free patches for evergreens like BotW and down the line, a BotW Deluxe edition with the DLC included and more in depth changes like texture and model upgrades. And since I am also hopeless I would buy this too.
I expect upgrades to be more like Xbox Series X

Third parties dealing with them however they please, but all first party improvements free patches. I think the models and textures in BOTW are fine, to be honest, improved filtering and lighting would be a huge help all on their own without new art needed.

I don't quite believe Nintendo/Nvidia would make another Frankenstein as the WiiU, but I could see the potential.

The Tegra X1 was initially meant for the automotive sector and included a lot of stuff that Nintendo never used, I believe, most notably the 4 little cores.

Drake's A78s could probably emulate the performance profile of the Switch's A57. A lot of the IO controllers and plumbing would be shared. What if they included in Drake only the GPU part of TX1 that's relevant for BC?

They would have to port it to Drake's architectural node, but it would bring perfect native backwards compatibility.
It would be a waste of resources and a convoluted method that brings with it technical debt that has to be paid in heavy interest down the line in which it reduces the possibility of FC long-term for future hardware. That debt would be eaten by the company (sold at a loss) or passed on to the consumers (sold at a higher than desired price).

We saw one technical debt with interest in the Nintendo Wii U, and we saw another one in the early PS3 with BC.

The “best” method for Nintendo, is to leverage the technical leap of Drake and offer a translation for Switch games based on the Maxwell Architecture but on the Ampere-based architecture of Drake. It has enough performance uplift GPU wise that it can sacrifice some performance for translation and not be detrimental to the GPU.

The CPU isn’t really an issue here so it’s ok there.

Thinking about it, let’s assume that they put the TX1 Maxwell GPU in the Drake SoC, that would have a shorter lifespan as devs would be moving to Ampere for development so what would the Maxwell GPU do other than BC? And with devs updating games to take advantage of the new features on hardware, even as cross gen, the Maxwell GPU would have a reduced usage.

IMO, a difficult but cheaper long-term method is using software for their troubles with BC.

Yeah, I'm sure it'll be on Drake since Nintendo needs "a new way to play" in order to move a generation.
Typically if a patent of theirs is published before the product is announced then it's actually not something they'll use. So it's actually very unlikely to see any of those patented scrollder concepts on Drake.

The new gimmick that’s never been done before is casting what you display on the switch to your TV. Playing with the switch console and it shows up on the TV screen wirelessly. Screen on the tablet goes dark unless you press it and it lights up to not waste energy. The Dock is the receiver and the console is the caster.

#Believe!

Also has 9Axis Gyroscope. Has a mic too. So Voice Chat can be done on the device, a gimmick the switch currently can’t do without a jack.

Better buttons, so these should be clickier I think? But not squishy where it doesn’t feel like you pressed much.

Latency is improved.

Better BlueTooth support + better BT Audio support.

The software release cadence certainly suggests something is probably coming.

• Next Zelda gets continually delayed
  • New Mario nowhere to be found
  • Second new Pokemon gen launching on existing hardware

Last time things looked like this was late 2016, months before the Spring 2017 launch of the Switch.
The biggest thing is no Mario title announced to go with the Mario movie. Probably one of Nintendo's biggest Mario projects ever and no Mario title announced so far to go with it?

The biggest thing is no Mario title announced to go with the Mario movie. Probably one of Nintendo's biggest Mario projects ever and no Mario title announced so far to go with it?
They have said before they don’t really want those two to have any connection like that. Plus it would be pretty difficult and strict. Major game movies didn’t really have the game accompany the movie most of the time. They were completely Async from each other.

Nintendo has released the official translation for the Q&A for the six month financial briefing.

Q4:
Have you considered changing the price of hardware given the recent depreciation of the yen? In addition, with Nintendo Switch in its sixth year, are there any changes to your approach to lengthen the product life cycle, given factors such as the current levels of inflation, yen depreciation, and changes in the competitive environment?

A4:
Furukawa:
Currently, there are no plans to raise the price of our hardware. However, the yen has depreciated at an unexpected level for a long duration, so we will carefully consider as we monitor the situation going forward. It is true that for Japan in particular, hardware profitability has decreased due to the prolonged depreciation of the yen.

How we view the effects of inflation and other factors remains unchanged. While we believe there is currently no major impact, we will continue to monitor various factors of our product sales.
Q5:
You previously acknowledged the challenge in the dedicated video game platform business when the hardware generation changes. The previous software is no longer playable on the new hardware, necessitating a start from scratch. However, by utilizing Nintendo Account or maintaining backward compatibility on new hardware, it now seems possible for content to endure across hardware generations, similar to how visual content is treated. I think there are both advantages and disadvantages to having newly launched hardware maintain backward compatibility with previous hardware, but what kind of internal discussions have you had about this subject?

A5:
Shigeru Miyamoto (Representative Director, Fellow):
In the past, we built a service called Virtual Console as a way for players to enjoy classic games on more modern hardware. In terms of compatibility, visual content has an advantage because it can be enjoyed continuously as long as you have a playback environment. However, legal rights for visual content can become quite complicated, so I have mentioned before that Nintendo is proceeding with visual content with a firm grip on the rights. Previously, software development for dedicated video game systems was conducted in development environments dedicated to each hardware platform. This meant that those environments could not be brought forward when the hardware changed, and it would become impossible to play software released for previous hardware without making changes. However, the software development environments have recently been gradually integrated. So, generally speaking, it has become easier to implement an environment where software released for past hardware can be played on new hardware.

Having said so, Nintendo's strength is in our creation of new entertainment, so when we release new hardware going forward, we plan to continue to offer new and unique gameplay that cannot be realized on existing hardware.

Q7:
The proximity between consumers and Nintendo is now closer through Nintendo Account and Nintendo Switch Online, and I think it has become easier than before to see things like user activity in games. Do you think this kind of information will affect the development of software and the next-generation platform?

A7:
Shinya Takahashi (Director, Senior Managing Executive Officer):
Tools like social media provide us with more opportunities for feedback from consumers and we receive a variety of information. Although we cannot adopt all of the input as they are, we need to always pay attention to how people respond to our games and then think about how we can entertain them as we proceed with development.

We want to develop products that are fun for consumers while also enjoying the development process exploring what kinds of interesting things are possible, including new initiatives for Nintendo Switch Online.

Ko Shiota (Director, Senior Executive Officer):
In the Nintendo Switch generation, it feels like we have gotten closer to our consumers via Nintendo Account. I think an integrated hardware-software business that captures the spirit of Nintendo will continue to be central to many of the activities that spring from the strategy described in today's briefing. The most important thing with our dedicated video game platform is to deliver a unique gaming experience. In our development of both hardware and software going forward, we must consider ways to more easily connect our core video game business with the consumer experiences outside of our dedicated video game platform through Nintendo Account.

We are not at a stage where we can talk about the next-generation platform. But we think it is most important to create unique integrated hardware-software products. The activities we leverage through Nintendo Account should be well connected to those products.

Man why do people love eating crow so much! Must be the seasoning
aff2b3538b7ba57204e9ba9de6674829daa99446725bad4655e97d49c1698697_zpsyefwwano.jpg

Shh your not supposed to tell people about angry green.

I’m still not sure how anyone could get that Nintendo is not gonna do bc with Q5. I guess confirmation bias is a helluva drug.
You just need to make your own head canon about Nintendo execs doing dumb decisions because Nintendo. It's easy, look:

Furukawa: "Now that we decided the new system won't be BC, how do we minimize backslash?"
Takahashi: "What if we first let people know that BC is possible and easier than ever now, then make a "lol no" meme after announcement? people love memes"
Myamoto: "Me! Me! Me! I want to do it!"
Takahashi: "humm, well, I was thinking of Doug wearing a Bowser cosplay though"
Furukawa: "Perfect! Myamoto do the talk, Doug do the meme!"

You just need to make your own head canon about Nintendo execs doing dumb decisions because Nintendo. It's easy, look:

Furukawa: "Now that we decided the new system won't be BC, how do we minimize backslash?"
Takahashi: "What if we first let people know that BC is possible and easier than ever now, then make a "lol no" meme after announcement? people love memes"
Myamoto: "Me! Me! Me! I want to do it!"
Takahashi: "humm, well, I was thinking of Doug wearing a Bowser cosplay though"
Furukawa: "Perfect! Myamoto do the talk, Doug do the meme!"
Nintendo..with their finger on the pulse of the youth of today

The new gimmick that’s never been done before is casting what you display on the switch to your TV. Playing with the switch console and it shows up on the TV screen wirelessly. Screen on the tablet goes dark unless you press it and it lights up to not waste energy. The Dock is the receiver and the console is the caster.

#Believe!

So the gimmick is you use a larger, heavier controller and get the lower quality handheld mode visuals too?

There is no tie-in game for the Mario movie because it's a tie-in movie for all the Mario games.

It would be a waste of resources and a convoluted method that brings with it technical debt that has to be paid in heavy interest down the line in which it reduces the possibility of FC long-term for future hardware. That debt would be eaten by the company (sold at a loss) or passed on to the consumers (sold at a higher than desired price).

We saw one technical debt with interest in the Nintendo Wii U, and we saw another one in the early PS3 with BC.

The “best” method for Nintendo, is to leverage the technical leap of Drake and offer a translation for Switch games based on the Maxwell Architecture but on the Ampere-based architecture of Drake. It has enough performance uplift GPU wise that it can sacrifice some performance for translation and not be detrimental to the GPU.

The CPU isn’t really an issue here so it’s ok there.

Thinking about it, let’s assume that they put the TX1 Maxwell GPU in the Drake SoC, that would have a shorter lifespan as devs would be moving to Ampere for development so what would the Maxwell GPU do other than BC? And with devs updating games to take advantage of the new features on hardware, even as cross gen, the Maxwell GPU would have a reduced usage.

IMO, a difficult but cheaper long-term method is using software for their troubles with BC.
I agree with everything, and that's probably what they'll do.

I just mentioned it as (maybe) a way to achieve close to 100% BC.

A lot of games rely on hardware bugs, quirks and undefined behaviour to function properly. A translation layer has a very hard time emulating those. There will be games, maybe hundreds, that will not work the same on Drake, with potentially breaking bugs. Only those with active still under contract developers will be patched.

But eh, Xbox and PS managed this pretty well.

ETA: Hasn't there been reports of Xbox and PS releasing per-game fixes for some games to run correctly on new hardware?

I’m still not sure how anyone could get that Nintendo is not gonna do bc with Q5. I guess confirmation bias is a helluva drug.
This conversation has frustrated me. Switch 2 will be BC and I'm willing to bet my account on it. Outside of this forum, speculation about this aspect in particular has thrown reason out the window.

Did anyone hear that Nvidia started manufacturing Drake chips through TSMC for the new hardware?
The identity of the foundry is one big unknown currently. Where did you hear/see about a final choice, let alone the fact that the chip was in production?

Did anyone hear that Nvidia started manufacturing Drake chips through TSMC for the new hardware?
no one heard anything and probably not something most leakers have access to. gotta wait for leaks out of china for that

A lot of games rely on hardware bugs, quirks and undefined behaviour to function properly. A translation layer has a very hard time emulating those. There will be games, maybe hundreds, that will not work the same on Drake, with potentially breaking bugs. Only those with active still under contract developers will be patched.
what games and what kind of bugs?

As a contrast, rtx 3050 contains 2560 cuda, about 9t flops. so we r expecting a 2/3 performance of rtx 3050. this is already higher performance than xss or ps4p
Yikes, no way are we expecting 2/3rd of a 3050. Drake is 12 SMs, probably organized as one GPC. RTX 3050 has 20 SMs organized in 2 GPCs. The max Drake clock is likely 1.3Ghz, the base 3050 clock is 1.5 Ghz

Half a 3050 docked is out of the question. 1/3 is my high estimate. 1/4 is my base assumption.

I want to confirm this because it was not a very reliable source.
I assume you've talked to a private source. The only public source I see for this information is your own YouTube channel. Mi español es muy malo, así que no estoy seguro but I'm pretty sure you've misinterpreted a press release about the gaming GPUs for PCs as referring to T239.

I am very doubtful that Drake is on anything other than Samsung 8nm, but it is certainly possible. If anyone claims it's on TSMC anything, I would want confirmation

As a contrast, rtx 3050 contains 2560 cuda, about 9t flops. so we r expecting a 2/3 performance of rtx 3050. this is already higher performance than xss or ps4p
Well the RTX 3050 and the GTX 1660 Ti have very similar performance the major difference between these two GPUs is the 3050 comes with DLSS and ray tracing while the 1660 Ti doesn't have either of those features.

If we are solely looking at cuda cores the NuSwitch cuda core count matches the 1660 Ti at 1536 total cuda cores which would makes sense since given prior information we do know that the switch has 12sm with about 128 cuda cores per sm. We should theoretically see similar performance to a 3050 despite less cuda cores if nvidia makes it up in other ways through tensor cores, TMUS, and ROPS.

For reference Tech PowerUp has a good technical break down on all gpu's including the Series S, xbone/ps4, and switch.

https://www.techpowerup.com/gpu-specs/geforce-gtx-1660-ti.c3364 1660 Ti specs

https://www.techpowerup.com/gpu-specs/switch-gpu-20nm.c3104 Switch gpu

https://www.techpowerup.com/gpu-specs/xbox-series-s-gpu.c3683 xbox series s gpu specs

https://www.techpowerup.com/gpu-specs/xbox-one-gpu.c2086 xbox one gpu

https://www.techpowerup.com/gpu-specs/playstation-4-gpu.c2085 PlayStation 4 gpu

https://www.techpowerup.com/gpu-specs/playstation-4-pro-gpu.c2876 ps4 Pro gpu which is an rx580

https://www.techpowerup.com/gpu-specs/switch-gpu-20nm.c3104 rx 580

Of course comparing architectures between Nvidia and Amd is not always easy because there will be a massive difference between the architecture used GCN vs RDNA 2 and likewise for Maxwell vs Ampere. We do know that Rdna 2 is more efficient compared to GCN based gpu in the xbox/playstation consoles. Despite the lower Cuda Core count between the Series S vs the ps4 pro/one x, the series s is able to run games more efficiently than the pro consoles. If you're looking at the Switch maxwell gpu vs what is rumored for the NuSwitch 256 cuda cores based on maxwell vs 1536 cuda cores on ampere. It's going to be a sizeable difference in performance. The only thing I can truly think that will limit gpu performance on the NuSwitch will be based on the clock speeds used. Theoretically we can see similar performance to the series s if Nintendo doesn't gimp clocks when docked. I can see limited clock speeds on handheld mode to save on battery life that can match a ps4 in terms of performance but that is just me speculating based on the information we do know.

Essentially what I am saying is if we are looking at a desktop gpu equivalent it will be 1660 ti with DLSS/some raytracing

Last edited:
Do we still have no clue as to the true nature of the device?

I mean whether it will be a whole new platform or a part of the current platform (GBC style).

Which direction are we leaning in, speculation -wise?

I mean whether it will be a whole new platform or a part of the current platform (GBC style).

I believe the NuSwitch will still be a hybrid like the switch, it will be a new generation for Nintendo while following the same hybrid nature of the switch and maybe add in an additional "gimmick" like game online as you go with 5g...really hard to say what gimmick can they really add to the NuSwitch.

there is no consensus. we just know the hardware that powers it

I assume you've talked to a private source. The only public source I see for this information is your own YouTube channel. Mi español es muy malo, así que no estoy seguro but I'm pretty sure you've misinterpreted a press release about the gaming GPUs for PCs as referring to T239.

I am very doubtful that Drake is on anything other than Samsung 8nm, but it is certainly possible. If anyone claims it's on TSMC anything, I would want confirmation
If it was a mistake on our part, we have removed the video.
Thank you for your confirmation.

Well the RTX 3050 and the GTX 1660 Ti have very similar performance the major difference between these two GPUs is the 3050 comes with DLSS and ray tracing while the 1660 Ti doesn't have either of those features.

If we are solely looking at cuda cores the NuSwitch cuda core count matches the 1660 Ti at 1536 total cuda cores which would makes sense since given prior information we do know that the switch has 12sm with about 128 cuda cores per sm. We should theoretically see similar performance to a 3050 despite less cuda cores if nvidia makes it up in other ways through tensor cores, TMUS, and ROPS.

3050 and Drake have exactly the same architecture, Ampere. There is no place to "make up" performance with tensor cores, when they both have the same tensor cores. Drake will not have 3050 performance. It will not.
Essentially what I am saying is if we are looking at a desktop gpu equivalent it will be 1660 ti with DLSS/some raytracing
Across arch comparisons are tricky, but Ampere is not 100% faster than Turing, and it would have to be for Drake to keep up with a 1660 ti.

Drake will almost definitely provide "PS4 Pro like" experiences, plus a little ray tracing, which will enable some deeply cut down "miracle ports" from current gen hardware, and Nintendo to make gorgeously lit first party games, very carefully balancing stylistic concerns to what the hardware is capable of.

I get doomposting about new Switch hardware since it's been so long (fully admit to dabbling myself), but cutting BC is simply not gonna happen. Switch momentum is good enough that something catastrophic would need to happen to dull it seriously. Cutting BC is on that level, it would undermine any faith in Nintendo's ability to maintain an ecosystem when PS and especially Xbox have managed to do so since 2013. The Switch - a console that is arguably built to be hostile to the idea of 100% digital thanks to its storage - still has over 50% digital sales. Is Nintendo going to tell those people "sorry but those thousands of $$$ you spent over 7 years are going to languish forever on inferior hardware"? I really doubt they will. It's more likely imo that Miyamoto meant they're going to be less-focused on cross-gen, but it's vague IR speak that shouldn't be overanalyzed

I have a noob question regarding potential Drake patch features. I've been thinking about simple things that could improve the look of games like BotW and Xenoblade without changing assets, and while there's a lot of talk about resolution and framerate (which I assume would be relatively easy to change with a patch), what stands out a lot to me in these games is actually LOD and pop-in issues. Could changes to these settings be patched as well, or is that sort of thing baked too deeply into the game to hope for those sorts of upgrades to the pre-existing games?

what games and what kind of bugs?
No game in particular.

I remember either MVG mentioning it on the Nate podcast or Digital Foundry talking about it.

I matched my own experience with microcontrollers or OpenGL. You must follow the spec to the letter and test on multiple devices. If you start doing funky things, it may work on your devkit or target device but it quickly breaks portability as each device will interpret little details differently.

Games developed or ported to a single platform, like the Switch, and only tested there are very prone to quirks that breaks portability.

I have a noob question regarding potential Drake patch features. I've been thinking about simple things that could improve the look of games like BotW and Xenoblade without changing assets, and while there's a lot of talk about resolution and framerate (which I assume would be relatively easy to change with a patch), what stands out a lot to me in these games is actually LOD and pop-in issues. Could changes to these settings be patched as well, or is that sort of thing baked too deeply into the game to hope for those sorts of upgrades to the pre-existing games?
depends on how the game is made. but they all need to be patched to be change anyway. some games might have the settings stuck in too deep

No game in particular.

I remember either MVG mentioning it on the Nate podcast or Digital Foundry talking about it.

I matched my own experience with microcontrollers or OpenGL. You must follow the spec to the letter and test on multiple devices. If you start doing funky things, it may work on your devkit or target device but it quickly breaks portability as each device will interpret little details differently.

Games developed or ported to a single platform, like the Switch, and only tested there are very prone to quirks that breaks portability.
MVG and DF were talking hypotheticals, much like we are. until some one tests it, it's all maybes and possiblies. it's why you see "99% compatible" thrown around because not everything will make it. even PS5 and Series has some XBO and PS4 games play funky, but no one owuld have known that before hand.

Xenoblades 1-3 have graphics patches for softmodded Switches that directly access a graphics config file (through some conversion from binary and back) to edit values like blur and anti-aliasing. Due to the way the game's contents are packaged I'm guessing they couldn't easily access other settings like draw distance.

SMT V has had more luck with specific patching of graphics settings, that work on real hardware.
(USA) TID: 010063B012DC6000 | v1.0.2
-Increased foliage LOD (handheld/docked)
-Anisotropy x2 (handheld/docked)
-Fixed resolution at 720p (handheld/docked)
-Framerate locked at 29fps (handheld/docked)
-Increased shadow quality (handheld/docked)
-Proper resolution configs
-High Definition UI! (handheld 720

So whether or not these values are easily tweaked seems game and engine-dependent.

Game devs will obviously have access to the original game code though so fingers crossed!

So the gimmick is you use a larger, heavier controller and get the lower quality handheld mode visuals too?
✨no✨, well yes, but actually no.

You can dock the device and get a higher quality visuals of up to 4K, or you can cast the image and get up to 1080p, or you can just not cast it and the portable screen is limited to 720p.

Also I’ve wanted to give my two cents about the Q&A:

Nintendo isn’t going to randomly discuss their gimmick for new hardware in a Q&A and detail that their next gimmick is ready or that they are ready to talk about it. They would do that separately like they’ve always done and discuss it the next time there’s a meeting if and when and investor brings it up.

Second, it is impossible for Nintendo to meet next year‘s sales if they have the same forecast for this year, and they follow the same trajectory in strategy to use this year for the next fiscal year. Not everyone is upgrading to an OLED, and not every unit is selling equally or better, it’s declining.

If this year they manage to do 19M, next year should see a decline to 15-17M. Nintendo has admitted that the semiconductor side of things are improving, however they are forecasting a decline nonetheless. And I’d find it hard to believe they’ll sell equal if not better especially at the age of the console approaching 6 years entering its 7th year.

Even special editions have a limited reach themselves and the likeliest SE on the horizon so far is the TOTK OLED edition.

The Q&A was a non-answer at best and doesn’t give any real insight into next year.

Do I need to point out that this Q&A came out right in the midst/right before the holiday shopping? Why would they sabotage their holiday sales and make any mention of any upcoming hardware as anything meaningful that can negatively affect the shopping? They don’t gain anything from this.

Last edited:
Wouldn't games reach their dynamic res and framerate caps without a patch?
Didn't help GameCube games on Wii or Wii games on Wii U or DS games on 3DS, because that's just not how it was set up to work.
If it's a patch that actually makes games run in full Drake mode, the sky is the limit. View distance or level of detail changes, the sort of things that would simply be controlled by a slider on settings of a PC game, would probably be very easy in some cases. I might guess it might be more trouble for some Switch exclusives, since it was never brethren to higher detail versions and so it's hard to say where some cut corners might be firmly coded in there. But even then I'd really expect a lot of things like that were malleable during development and final values set based on how well frame rate/whatever was working.

There can always be unintended consequences trying to do some things, though. This is a PC example, but Bethesda games like Skyrim or Fallout are made to load the full high detail version of the world a certain distance from where the player is, with a "grids" setting that is easily changeable by INI file. However, since some things are set to happen as soon as they're loaded up, this can mean if you change the grids setting from 5 to 9, suddenly things will trigger when they're nearly twice as far away from the player so you might more likely miss them or be affected by something that's not in view.

Yikes, no way are we expecting 2/3rd of a 3050. Drake is 12 SMs, probably organized as one GPC. RTX 3050 has 20 SMs organized in 2 GPCs. The max Drake clock is likely 1.3Ghz, the base 3050 clock is 1.5 Ghz

Half a 3050 docked is out of the question. 1/3 is my high estimate. 1/4 is my base assumption.

My predictions for if it launches in 2024:

Switch Pro:

- 1TF docked (700gflops handheld to
preserve battery life)
  • 40wh battery
  • OLED screen
  • 64gb internal storage
  • Based on Ampere
  • No DLSS 3 so say goodbye to 60fps for 3rd party games

VS

Steam Deck 2:

• 3.6TF
  • Based on RDNA 3
  • 56wh battery
  • FSR 3 frame generation (good for low wattage gaming)
  • Up to 2 TB of storage

The only appropriate use for this Switch Pro will be the 1st party games and low end (hardware wise) indie games.

Please read this staff post before posting.

Furthermore, according to this follow-up post, all off-topic chat will be moderated.
Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom