• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

StarTopic Future Nintendo Hardware & Technology Speculation & Discussion |ST| (Read the staff posts before commenting!)

Why is it so strange? Genuine question.

The game has more selling power with the core audiences than anything else in Nintendo's stable, and if Breath of the Wild's 30 million climb is any indication, it's going to have legs enough to be relevant for many holidays ahead of it. One concern they might have with the date is giving it a reasonable berth as not to compete with their own content too much, but month is probably a fair enough gap to accomplish that, and the release calendar is empty from Feb.
I guess if they have something in early June, early July, etc it makes sense. just an unused spot so far as far as I can recall

Isn’t production improving? Really doubt that Nintendo would release a new console next year
Nintendo is the only external customer for Drake. Drake fabrication has started.

Either Nvidia takes a multimillion dollar loss on Drake, or Nintendo does. This will not happen. A Drake device will launch next year.

(Excuse my English, I use a translator) The great thing is that apparently drake will be backwards compatible, so I won't have to pay $60 for the games I already had, the bad thing is that the games I didn't have will remain in the $60 :´)

Nintendo is the only external customer for Drake. Drake fabrication has started.
I wouldn’t say it necessarily started because people will read it as something else and as you saying Drake started production for the switch 2 somehow, I’ll just say that a physical version of the hardware exists in NVidia’s hands enough to where they are testing software on it and they would be able to iron out minor bugs if need be.

However I should note that nvidia is not Intel nor are they AMD, they are infamous for having intense pre-verification work done. While AMD can be on stepping F2 on their silicon and Intel can be on J1, indicating a dev hell. Nvidia is routinely, routinely, on A1 or A0. Infamous? Not in the bad sense, I meant they are known in a good sense for testing a lot before, rather than after, for the product.

A0 is like the first step and doesn’t need more work done to it, it’s a perfect chip.

Very rare for them to be on like A2. Very, very rare.

Last edited:
I wouldn’t say it necessarily started because people will read it as something else and as you saying Drake started production for the switch 2 somehow, I’ll just say that a physical version of the hardware exists in NVidia’s hands enough to where they are testing software on it and they would be able to iron out minor bugs if need be.
Yeah I meant t239 directly, but fair point.

Neither Nintendo nor Nvidia are going to have a large stockpile of chips on their balance sheet with unannounced hardware, and if they’re using the same allocated foundry capacity as Orin, then they are teed up to move from engineering samples to chip production if they haven’t already.

However I should note that nvidia is not Intel nor are they AMD, they are infamous for having intense pre-verification work done. While AMD can be on stepping F2 on their silicon and Intel can be on J1, indicating a dev hell. Nvidia is routinely, routinely, on A1 or A0.

A0 is like the first step and doesn’t need more work done to it, it’s a perfect chip.

Very rare for them to be on like A2. Very, very rare.

Out of curiosity - you guys think Nvidia will do some extra security stuff to make Drake hacking harder?
Most likely, but if any method was to release for hacking it, you better hope you get one as fast as possible when it comes out.

On another note, I've been playing GeForce Now on my Switch over Android and that has not helped with this wait, I need to see TotK and BotW at 60fps.

Are those quotes from the most recent Q&A session regarding Nintendo mentioning the words "Next Generation Hardware"?

Quoted by: LiC
Are those quotes from the most recent Q&A session regarding Nintendo mentioning the words "Next Generation Hardware"?
Yes, it's from the Q&A. But while 次世代機 means next-generation hardware, it's just repeating the phrasing of the question that was asked (you can Ctrl+F for it in the PDF), so there's no significance to the fact that Shiota used that phrase in his response.

And to not leave this merely implied: There is no significance for new hardware to anything Nintendo disclosed, or anything they said in their Q&A, as part of these financial results, because there never is. Cutting the sales forecast for Switch units has no meaning at all for when they might be planning to release new hardware.

With Nintendo’s change in FY forecast, does this cast any doubt on a March launch?

It feels like if anything, it would mean that the new systems sales would not be tracked in these numbers correct?

Yes I know the leading / convenient theory is May, just talking about the “early 2023” option that’s been floated for ages.
As I've said before, May is a pretty absurd proposition... I mean. It didn't do Sega Saturn any favours. I think the reality is probably more they aren't counting the Drake device among projections, at least for now. They expect to sell 19 million of the EXISTING Switch units by end of FY. I think March or April is the likely window; either a strong start or strong end to their Fiscal Year. There's also the fact that in this same financial report they showed a roadmap for game releases with a glaring gash in the March-April area. I don't see them going 2 months totally dry then bursting out a new generation alongside a new Zelda game; In fact I believe they're more likely going to want to have as big an install base as possible on the Drake platform before Zelda launches. Unlike 2017, they don't NEED Zelda to sell this new device. It will sell out almost instantly regardless, and if anything having the initial rush finished up by time Zelda comes out would benefit them. It's like a free second launch. Actual launch day, and the day the big exclusive (if cross-gen) game launches. Like Xbox Series X's super-soft, back-compat dependant November 2020 launch and subsequent glut of content in 2021.

As I've said before, May is a pretty absurd proposition... I mean. It didn't do Sega Saturn any favours. I think the reality is probably more they aren't counting the Drake device among projections, at least for now. They expect to sell 19 million of the EXISTING Switch units by end of FY. I think March or April is the likely window; either a strong start or strong end to their Fiscal Year. There's also the fact that in this same financial report they showed a roadmap for game releases with a glaring gash in the March-April area. I don't see them going 2 months totally dry then bursting out a new generation alongside a new Zelda game; In fact I believe they're more likely going to want to have as big an install base as possible on the Drake platform before Zelda launches. Unlike 2017, they don't NEED Zelda to sell this new device. It will sell out almost instantly regardless, and if anything having the initial rush finished up by time Zelda comes out would benefit them. It's like a free second launch. Actual launch day, and the day the big exclusive (if cross-gen) game launches. Like Xbox Series X's super-soft, back-compat dependant November 2020 launch and subsequent glut of content in 2021.

I don’t disagree with you necessarily on a lot of this, but how relevant is May to Saturn’s failure, and is it relevant today?

I don’t disagree with you necessarily on a lot of this, but how relevant is May to Saturn’s failure, and is it relevant today?
I'm not sure that it is. What was more relevant to Saturn's failure was shadow-dropping the console without telling retailers whatsoever and fiddling with the sales agreements around it that made them largely unwilling to stock and promote it. That it happened in May is largely irrelevant.

It's less that May is bad in and of itself and more that it's not as good as the alternatives. I'm still working on the assumption of early 2023, which May is a stretch, but let's work with H1, January to May. January and February are out, not enough time for marketing and distribution. So, why not May?

Because March and April have many more advantages:

Right at the end or start of the Fiscal Year, which looks good on paper. Pleases investors, which means more money for them through, well, investments.

BEFORE GOLDEN WEEK, which is April 29th to May 5th. While not quite comparable, this is sort of like Japanese Christmas when it comes to gifts, but it varies from family to family. Also means launching before Japanese exam results season, which is another big one.

American tax return season, an influx of liquid cash into the consumer economy which brings real cash flow in the consumer space closer to holiday season than any other time except the holiday season.

The original Nintendo Switch had all of those benefits going for it and clearly it worked out for it. If they are able to get it out in March or April, aren't those enough reason to bite the bullet?

May also has a few things going against it;

It's the middle of a quarter, Nintendo likes to launch at the start or end (Lite, OLED and 2017 Switch, for example.) for the sake of investor relations (see above).

It's right before the summer games drought. That drought has reasons; January to April has more consumer spending on in-home entertainment. May to August sees that fall off in favour of holiday spending.

It falls awkwardly after Golden Week, just about, but way before Christmas. It is neither the thing to get for a good report card, nor is it the hot toy for Christmas. It's just... The late Spring console launching after people (in the US) have spent their tax return and just before they begin spending on holidays.

Games launching in May? That's reasonable. Hardware? Well, that's more complicated just because of the higher price, so consumer spending trends are more pronounced.

As I also mentioned there's the big gap in their schedule (per this financial report) and finally there's one point I want to reiterate. Software can slip, hardware tends not to. If this device was planned for late 2022 to early 2023, as reliable leakers have repeatedly expressed, that means that it was planned for FY22/23. Slipping a quarter from Q3 to Q4 (from Holiday to March) is reasonable, even for hardware planned years in advance. Slipping an entire fiscal year, from Q4(22/23) to Q1(23/24)? That's a lot less likely.

While I think May is possible, I think March or April is more likely. I concede that April is still Q1(23/24), but I think being the first month of a new fiscal year gives it a decent chance, a sort of possible Hail Mary launch window for a console that couldn't make Holiday launch, then couldn't even make EOY(Fiscal).

Those are my thoughts anyway. I know "Switch 1 launched with Zelda so why wouldn't Switch Drake" has a lot of weight, and not without reason, but as I said, I just don't think Switch Drake NEEDS Zelda nearly as much as Switch 1 did.

According to some enthusiast sites, Miyamoto basically confirmed it won't be.

I just hope they are not idiots enough to not make the next Switch to run og Switch game, what a disaster it would be

You have got to be kidding? The next Switch not being BC with OG games would seriously make me reconsider buying one

He (Miyamoto) didn't say this. I'm not saying they were lying, maybe something got lost in translation or misunderstood, but no. In fact the recent financial meeting actually had a section about this, I believe! They talked about how going forward, "backwards compatibility" would be more along the lines of being compatible through emulation or a translation layer rather than previous backwards compatible consoles from Nintendo that used hardware solutions.

He (Miyamoto) didn't say this. I'm not saying they were lying, maybe something got lost in translation or misunderstood, but no. In fact the recent financial meeting actually had a section about this, I believe! They talked about how going forward, "backwards compatibility" would be more along the lines of being compatible through emulation or a translation layer rather than previous backwards compatible consoles from Nintendo that used hardware solutions.

No more frankenstein CPU à la WiiU.
Phew...

Sorry, I should have clarified: My reply wasn’t about what Miyamoto said it was more about. “How did they even come to the conclusion based on what he said, when he quite literally implied the opposite”

It’s like they read something else entirely.

Because this:

Recently, however, the software development environment itself has gradually become more standardized, so it is generally easier to create a playback environment that allows software for past hardware to be played on new hardware than before. However, Nintendo's strength is in creating new games. With new hardware, we would like to propose unique games that cannot be realized on existing hardware

Is very clear about their position on Bc, nowhere does it even say “there won’t be BC”

Sorry, I should have clarified: My reply wasn’t about what Miyamoto said it was more about. “How did they even come to the conclusion based on what he said, when he quite literally implied the opposite”

It’s like they read something else entirely.

Pretty sure the way you read it (aka the very very likely correct one) doesn't bring as many clicks as the way they did read it!

;D

There is already a known attack on pointer authentication which affects the implementation in A78C.

Oh my- well, I wonder if the switch’s secure environment mitigates this vulnerability. It’s not on like a more easily accessible platform to get into like the M1.

Pretty sure the way you read it (aka the very very likely correct one) doesn't bring as many clicks as the way they did read it!

;D
Unfortunately but not much I can do now!😅

2024 has no backing from leaks so you won’t find any support in here other than “gut feel.” It’s possible, but we don’t have anything to indicate that’s the case yet.

If Nintendo intends to sell the new device alongside the existing Switch, which we have no reason to believe that won’t be the case, improvements in production are still relevant.

My gut tells me that Nintendo wants to milk Switch as much as possible while having a steady decline YoY before releasing Drake.

Either Nvidia takes a multimillion dollar loss on Drake, or Nintendo does. This will not happen. A Drake device will launch next year.

I hope so, been playing Sonic Frontiers and it really needs a resolution and performance patch as it looks blurry at times.

Nintendo's strength is in creating new games, so when we release new hardware in the future, we would like to propose unique games that cannot be realized on existing hardware. (Representative Director: Shigeru Miyamoto / Q&A Session at Financial Results Briefing for the Second Quarter of the Fiscal Year Ending March 31, 2023 )

Comment: Last time, I talked about stereoscopic 3D on my hypothetical SWITCH successor. I dream of a new controller that would have one or two buttons at the L/R position in a circular shape, and that would be manipulated in an infinite rotating way in both directions, with a purpose among others, to allow to change the objective (focus) of the camera in the game, giving the user the real 3D feeling.

We will also need to consider how we can better connect our core game business with the experiences of our customers outside of the dedicated game consoles via Nintendo Account.
We are not yet at the stage where we can talk about next-generation consoles, but what is most important to us is to create unique products that integrate hardware and software.
We hope that we will be able to successfully combine this with activities that utilize the Nintendo account.
(Director, Senior Executive Officer: Koh Shiota / Q&A Session at Financial Results Briefing for the Second Quarter of the Fiscal Year Ending March 31, 2023)

Comment: Speaking of video game development, in the commercial version of Bravely Default (2012) the change of conventions of rpg video games is mentioned in the tutorial, surely those words inspired many developers to do the same. There are good franchises but very few changes between games, even between similar genres there are no major differences.
I was looking through the Q&A PDF, I didn't find anything that made mention of this comment, can you give me the exact location?

“Rumours of a new Switch next year?”

Nintendo:

waltergotme.gif

Last edited:
when Nintendo talks 'next generation' and 'new experiences' I presume they are posturing further out to what comes after Switch or alongside eventually. not Drake which they'll treat as part of the Switch family, same concept, same experiences.

But considering Drake's probably already taped out, assuming Nintendo's targeting a 1H 2023 launch, probably too late for Nintendo and Nvidia to validate 8500 MT/s LPDDR5X for Drake.

I think they were making a sarcastic reference to the thread on ResetEra.

Nintendo BC talk gives me a headache. The constant "Switch 2 won't have BC because Nintendo", devoid of context and history, has been annoying, It's one thing to be concerned and ask if it's feasible, it's another thing to keep asserting that it won't happen for nebulous reasons.

Last edited:
I think they were making a sarcastic reference to the thread on ResetEra.

I haven't stepped foot in that thread, Nintendo BC talk gives me a headache. The constant "Switch 2 won't have BC because Nintendo", devoid of context and history, has been annoying, It's one thing to be concerned and ask if it's feasible, it's another thing to keep asserting that it won't happen for nebulous reasons.
You should get in there at least for the laughs. One guy is saying how we had to re buy vc games from Wii to play on Wii U. Amazing how wrong people will remember things just to make a point 😂

You should get in there at least for the laughs. One guy is saying how we had to re buy vc games from Wii to play on Wii U. Amazing how wrong people will remember things just to make a point 😂
I made the mistake of participating. Remind me not to do it again.

I love how a difference of ~2-4 weeks in a release date can apparently make or break a console. Not that the points made aren't compelling or sensible. But in the long run, if it's released a month before TotK, they'll still end up being lumped together even if its turns out not to be a "launch day title".

I mean, when you consider an earlier release, if there are any big name 3rd party Drake exclusives as launch day games, Nintendo would be doing them a favour by not releasing ToTK on the same day.

when Nintendo talks 'next generation' and 'new experiences' I presume they are posturing further out to what comes after Switch or alongside eventually. not Drake which they'll treat as part of the Switch family, same concept, same experiences.
This has been Nintendo's language since the SNES. "New experiences" in Nintendo talk can mean a new control scheme, but it can also mean "we're pushing the existing hardware to its limits, time for an upgrade."

I think that the ratio of genuine dev philosophy to empty corporate sloganing is about 50/50 here, but in this context it means "we're going to talk about this our way, on our schedule"

But in the long run, if it's released a month before TotK, they'll still end up being lumped together even if its turns out not to be a "launch day title".

Absolutely. MK8DX was a port from an older console and released a month and a half after launch, but was definitely marketed a launch window title and has presumably shifted a lot of consoles with its 48 million units.

this reminds me of reggie's whole "Yeah, but is an HD Wii ENOUGH?" statement he made before Wii U came out...
Yes Reggie, an earlier HD wii would have been enough...
Nintendo tends to overthink this stuff just as much as we do.
A 4K switch would be enough but they probably aren't content with just that.
I'm assuming this means they will have some other hook in addition to the hybrid "play anywhere" hook that switch already has.
Whatever it is I hope it comes next year for sure, cause I really don't want to see switch sales and support shrivel and die like the wii did for years before the Wii U.

this reminds me of reggie's whole "Yeah, but is an HD Wii ENOUGH?" statement he made before Wii U came out...
Yes Reggie, an earlier HD wii would have been enough...
Nintendo tends to overthink this stuff just as much as we do.
A 4K switch would be enough but they probably aren't content with just that.
I'm assuming this means they will have some other hook in addition to the hybrid "play anywhere" hook that switch already has.
Whatever it is I hope it comes next year for sure, cause I really don't want to see switch sales and support shrivel and die like the wii did for years before the Wii U.
New gameplay experiences doesn't have to mean new gimmicks! There are plenty of ideas that are easier, if not outright made possible for the first time, by the presence of so much more RAM and RT hardware. And that resolution helps, too.

Bowser's Fury is an amazing concept that, objectively, struggles on Switch hardware. If they want to embrace a new gameplay paradigm of a gigantic open world for Mario that's totally seamless, without sacrificing level complexity, they need more power.

Plus "new gameplay experiences" includes things like Elden Ring, Red Dead Redemption 2, etc. coming to a handheld.

I very much doubt the Drake Switch is anything more than a beefier Switch designed to run games Switch 1 just can't due to sheer grunt.

This has been Nintendo's language since the SNES. "New experiences" in Nintendo talk can mean a new control scheme, but it can also mean "we're pushing the existing hardware to its limits, time for an upgrade."
I agree. The GBA offered new experiences from the GB/C by virtue of the hardware power, and that was the basis of the GBA's pitch. SNES level games that wouldn't have been feasible on GB/C without significant cutbacks (looking at the Donkey Kong platformers in particular). Likewise, the 3DS offered new experiences not just because there's glasses free 3D, but the additional power meant we could have full-fat 3D Zelda on a portable. The 2DS without its glasses free 3D still offered new, fresh experiences from the original DS, because of the hardware jump.

I understand we're far from the 8 bit to 16 bit level of 'newness'. but even the Switch -> Drake gap can enable new experiences. I don't immediately assume there will be some main gimmick or hook of the new system aside from extra features and the existing hybrid concept.

A new experience could very well be an open-world Mario at 4K 60 FPS with a ton of real-time physics objects on screen. Possible on current Switch? Yes, in the same way that GBA games are possible on GB/C - with compromises.

Fake Edit: As I was typing this I see @Concernt had a similar sentiment right above mine, haha

Please read this staff post before posting.

Furthermore, according to this follow-up post, all off-topic chat will be moderated.
Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom