• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

StarTopic Future Nintendo Hardware & Technology Speculation & Discussion |ST| (Read the staff posts before commenting!)

They can also formally announce it without showing it.

Still it would be a big disservice to the Holiday games and they shouldn't do it imho.

and then you have those arguing that anouncing it in Jannuary, right after people got their new consoles for christmas would lead to a backlash / customer dissatistaction.

Its simple, there is no right moment to anounce it. well, there is: march - July. Far away that it can release for next holiday season, but not to close to christmas that people have buyers remourse.

But nobody wants to believe that its next FY that we will hear something new.

That kind of buyer’s remorse really doesn’t matter these days. Some late Switch adopters will be annoyed for a month about a product they likely wouldn’t have bought anyway, and it’ll be forgotten by end of year. It’s just known these days that if you buy a piece of tech it might be outdated in a quarter.

Last edited:
This Drake conundrum could be solved by planning the reveal/release for around March/May. Financial year end and greater risk of leaks be damned.

Digital Foundry knows stuff, surprised they haven't leaked anything about it.
Yeah, I'm always trying to read between the lines with DF but there's not much they let on.

Rich's stance on this - he's said it in the past - is that they don't break a scoop, but only corroborate if they have something to add to an existing one. For example the Switch clocks in 2016 after earlier articles about it's form factor.

Graffitimax vetted the back plate info for the Switch lite, I recently looked up the old DM messages I had with someone and there was links to an article about it.

He or possibly the Splatoon 3 Switch model leaker (known as Factory uncle or Funcle) had said that info about the Drake model's back plate specifically, that the body of the device isn't much different from the OLED model and that the logo was the same. Thing is, I think they have both seen the back plate, this was around the time Funcle Speculated the model would be revealed in September.
Unless I'm mistaken funcle specifically said the color model he saw was NOT the Splatoon 3 OLED model.

People (at least those who understand how commerce works, so most) are now "aware" that everything they buy can be replaced by a better model within a year...
GPUs, computers, smartphones, refrigerators, watches, TVs... everything.

Nintendo can announce and release a product, which has been on the market for almost six years now, whenever it wants without thinking about those who bought Switch during the holidays.

Did they ever leaked anything? Not saying they don't have sources, but if they actually leaked anything they might have heard.
As posted above, they generally only corroborate. They aren't in the leaking business. When drake was leaked back in March they sort of spoke about it as if it was known and was the next hardware down the pipeline.

People (at least those who understand how commerce works, so most) are now "aware" that everything they buy can be replaced by a better model within a year...
GPUs, computers, smartphones, refrigerators, watches, TVs... everything.

Nintendo can announce and release a product, which has been on the market for almost six years now, whenever it wants without thinking about those who bought Switch during the holidays.

You'd think people would get that after they did a January announcement for DS Lite, the best selling console design of all time*.
(Wii is disqualified because of that change where they ripped the Game Cube compatibility out)

Various other multi third party titles nintendo got some exclusive rights to show first.

This sounds like a perfect Drake launch title. A back-to-basics AC, not too demanding like open world ones.

Ubisoft totally messed it up during the Switch launch, failed to port only big title they had: Steep. I feel they won't repeat the same mistake. Also, didn't Ubi Chengdu say they are porting a AAA game?

Ps4 pro was announced in September and launched in November. Nintendo can just announce the system at the Jan/Feb direct and then announce its release in April-Jun. The people who take the time to look into making sure the technology they plan on buying won't be replaced soon, should have enough evidence of a new system coming by Nov/Dec. There is already enough evidence now. Also, Switch holds its value pretty well, so you can always just trade in the Switch you just bought towards the new one.

Graffitimax vetted the back plate info for the Switch lite, I recently looked up the old DM messages I had with someone and there was links to an article about it.

He or possibly the Splatoon 3 Switch model leaker (known as Factory uncle or Funcle) had said that info about the Drake model's back plate specifically, that the body of the device isn't much different from the OLED model and that the logo was the same. Thing is, I think they have both seen the back plate, this was around the time Funcle Speculated the model would be revealed in September.
With google search I find that he's the actual splatoon 3 oled leaker which came with him also thinking a drake reveal is in september.
That's why I think the backplate stories is one or even two different people.
There was also someone confusing an internal part for new that was from the actual switch, so it's a bit messy.

I hope this is all revealed in January and Nintendo can essentially relaunch the Switch with not just improved hardware but a slew of new software to better show off the newer hardware.
Just my personal speculation but they'll want to sell as many Switch consoles this Holiday season as they can then hit the public with the Drake reveal event in mid January (Friday the 13th would be my guess and the sixth anniversary of the Switch reveal event) with new game announcements like the new 3D Mario, Fire Emblem, Yoshi, Luigi's Mansion, Pikmin, DK, Pokemon etc then show the final BotW 2 trailer with the release date of the new console and game for March 3rd (which is the sixth anniversary of the Switch and BotW release).

I think we'll see the first BotW 2 gameplay at this September's Direct but it will be running on the standard Switch just like they insisted on showing BotW running on Wii U until Switch was officially revealed.

Remember Nintendo revealed Switch in October 2016 because they didn't have a product on the market that was selling in decent numbers due to the Wii U failure and 3DS hitting saturation point the year before.

I've always been of the opinion that BotW 2 was directly tied to Drake's launch and marketing. Drake would be out this November if BotW 2 was ready but Covid put a stop to that. In retrospect it might mean we ended up with a far more powerful piece of hardware because of it which is why it blows away so many tech expectations in terms of a Nintendo hybrid console.

Ps4 pro was announced in September and launched in November. Nintendo can just announce the system at the Jan/Feb direct and then announce its release in April-Jun. The people who take the time to look into making sure the technology they plan on buying won't be replaced soon, should have enough evidence of a new system coming by Nov/Dec. There is already enough evidence now. Also, Switch holds its value pretty well, so you can always just trade in the Switch you just bought towards the new one.
I expect Nintendo to show it via simple video on social media, and then devote space to it in the following Direct along with, of course, the games that will make use of the new hardware.

and then you have those arguing that anouncing it in Jannuary, right after people got their new consoles for christmas would lead to a backlash / customer dissatistaction.

Its simple, there is no right moment to anounce it. well, there is: march - July. Far away that it can release for next holiday season, but not to close to christmas that people have buyers remourse.

But nobody wants to believe that its next FY that we will hear something new.

Some people saying "wish I know new stronger, more expansive model is launching months after I bought Switch" would not change and effect nothing,
definitely wouldn't effect Nintendo business standpoint.

One thing is sure, announcing new model before holiday season and than releasing that model some time after holiday season would be bad business decision,
having on mind that current Switch is still selling very good and that calendar Q4 sales for Nintendo are always very important (at least when they have product thats selling good).

Last edited:
Mario Kart is unlikely to complicate its control scheme with analog acceleration, while GTA has yet to come to Nintendo hardware in a meaningful capacity. So we're adding a feature for one potential game somewhere down the line? I'm exaggerating a bit, but Nintendo platforms already don't get the kind of racers that rely on analog acceleration (and there aren't that many in the first place).

The digital shoulder buttons being there don't change anything because actions (that do not benefit or are worse on analog) will still be mapped to the analog triggers.
Better to have functions mapped slightly imperfectly to analog buttons (a problem shared with... every other major gaming device) than to have analog functions mapped to... nothing. Mario Kart I agree is unlikely to change from "A to go", though given how they've added dumbed down options (like "Don't have to press A to go"), doing the reverse would be nice.

This sounds like a perfect Drake launch title. A back-to-basics AC, not too demanding like open world ones.

Ubisoft totally messed it up during the Switch launch, failed to port only big title they had: Steep. I feel they won't repeat the same mistake. Also, didn't Ubi Chengdu say they are porting a AAA game?

I fully expect Ubisoft to port Origins/Odyssey/Valhalla trilogy soonish, a port of Mirage+AC1R would also be neat, but can happen a year later.

As later projects, Splinter Cell remake and Inmortals Fenyx Rising sequel are possible candidates.

I fully expect Ubisoft to port Origins/Odyssey/Valhalla trilogy soonish, a port of Mirage+AC1R would also be neat, but can happen a year later.

As later projects, Splinter Cell remake and Inmortals Fenyx Rising sequel are possible candidates.
given how Ubisoft are among the first to know about new systems, if Mirage happened to line up perfectly, I wouldn't rule it out. Ubisoft aren't the kind to hold back games just because.

I've been swamped IRL, and didn't check this thread for a while. If the following info has been shared, let me know and I'll delete this post.
Hidden content is only available for registered users. Sharing it outside of Famiboards is subject to moderation.

I've been swamped IRL, and didn't check this thread for a while. If the following info has been shared, let me know and I'll delete this post.
* Hidden text: cannot be quoted. *
Hidden content is only available for registered users. Sharing it outside of Famiboards is subject to moderation.

Graffitimax, a chinese forum owner/mod, who leaked Switch Lite's back plate, said that the back of the new Drake model, has the same Switch logo as all the current models, indicating that it is the same exact branding/platform. It is using a separate API (NVN2), so very likely they will introduce it like a XB1X but after ~2 years, they will shift marketing more into XBSeries type of device... meaning while the cross gen Switch period happens, Drake will be a premium model, a Pro/New 3DS style upgrade, but after this period, they will introduce major first party games as exclusive to this version of the Switch.

Currently we are discussing the major rumors that have panned out by legit leaks such as the Nvidia leak, which proved that T239 from Kopite7's twitter post from a year prior, did in fact exist. and It also shows that it's been in the works since Nikkei reported that Nintendo dropped the pro and started work on a next generation model, way back in April 2019... Lastly, Nate and Bloomberg have heard that exclusive Drake titles are in the works right now and that the release window for them is sometime before the end of Spring next year.

Lastly for 2 or 3 years now, a Switch pro has been heavily rumored to launch with Zelda, every single time I've been told anything about the release of the device, Zelda was mentioned along side it, the only time that changed was this year with Zelda's delay to Spring 2023, people just didn't know if Drake was delayed along with it or not, as the launch for Drake has loosely been end of this year, early next year.
For clarity: I know of exclusives, yes; but I also know of games that are coming to Switch OG but have builds on the Switch 4K DLSS kits. These games (since they are releasing on Switch OG) are planned by first half 2023 regardless of Switch 4K hardware release timing.

For clarity: I know of exclusives, yes; but I also know of games that are coming to Switch OG but have builds on the Switch 4K DLSS kits. These games (since they are releasing on Switch OG) are planned by first half 2023 regardless of Switch 4K hardware release timing.
Are those games that also are on base Switch the games we already know of? Like Kingdom Come or Remnant? I don't think many indies would need the power of Drake.

I don't want games to be delayed just to make it to Drake launch.

thank you for the information
Can we assume there is no release window for the "exclusives" yet?

* Hidden text: cannot be quoted. *
Nyeah, I think I'm letting go of '22 for Drake. Factory leaks, maybe.

If they reveal it this year for a release in the next - which would be kinda weird honestly - they're likely trying to do a repeat of the January 2017 scenario.

Last edited:
"September 25th is a Sunday so it seems unlikely, but it could be due to the time zone."

Sorry there's no way that can be fudged into a sensible date via time zones. Sunday in HK means Sunday in Japan pretty much. And Sat/Sun everywhere else.

"September 25th is a Sunday so it seems unlikely, but it could be due to the time zone."

Sorry there's no way that can be fudged into a sensible date via time zones. Sunday in HK means Sunday in Japan pretty much. And Sat/Sun everywhere else.
My guess is a reveal trailer out-of-the-blue a la original Switch.

Hey guys, I have a couple of questions. We know that this next system will have DLSS and be a 4k system in a sense. Okay we know the GPU will get a considerable boost. But what about the CPU? Will that get a considerable boost? Will it be capable of 60fps for all of Nintendo's first party games? And will it be able to potentially run some third party games at 60fps?

Forgive me if some of this have been answered already. I don't follow this thread closely.

Obviously we're getting the return of Sunday Directs featuring Non-Specific Action Figure to show off the system's revamped UI.

/s
unless...?

Please read this staff post before posting.

Furthermore, according to this follow-up post, all off-topic chat will be moderated.
Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom