• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

StarTopic Future Nintendo Hardware & Technology Speculation & Discussion |ST| (Read the staff posts before commenting!)

I don't quite get the enthousiasm here : what Furukawa sounds like a complete nothingburger to me, no ? He just basically announced that something is to be announced before April 2025 - but not during June communication, confirming there will be a direct there.

I don't get how that remotely indicates anything for the next hardware...
You’re missing the point.

People are so desperate that anything official confirming a new system is going to start the hype.

People are so desperate that anything official confirming a new system is going to start the hype.
200w.gif

This is pretty much it haha

It's nice to have a timeline. Every day you wake up and there is no announcement of the thing you know is coming is a little bit like resetting the clock. It could come tomorrow. It could come in a year.

Now that we know that there is going to be no official information between now and June, and that the back half of the year will get dated games, even silence is part of the official calendar. The clock no longer resets. Nintendo's commitments here are minor, but they are commitments. Commitments from a company that, with some success, has rebuilt their reputation this gen for keeping commitments.

Between now and June, nothing official will come. Between June and March, we will have reveal and know exactly when we're going to hold this thing. Speculation like "I think it comes out in March, and we actually see it in October, like the original Switch reveal" is no longer speculation based on rumors and leaks, but matches the official calendar.

It's not an atom bomb of a revelation, but for many people, it changes things.

Really? I thought its usage was widespread due to school years and such.

In contrast, we rarely speak in terms of quarters or seasons here.
It's not even universally used for high school in the US. Colleges/universities are the only places the word is regularly used, which not everyone attends.

I don't quite get the enthousiasm here : what Furukawa sounds like a complete nothingburger to me, no ? He just basically announced that something is to be announced before April 2025 - but not during June communication, confirming there will be a direct there.

Well having an official confirmation and timeline is a lot more interesting than people reading tea leaves for the next 6-9 months to figure out what is going on. Unless you enjoy that kind of thing. It will almost certainly lead to an increase in leaked information as well, given that Nintendo will be making larger moves behind the scenes with publishers and suppliers.

Please be more careful with your wording, to avoid being seen as condescending to others. - meatbag, IsisStormDragon, ngpdrew

It's okay, not everyone will get/understand the significance of this (it IS significant).

Now that we know that there is going to be no official information between now and June, and that the back half of the year will get dated games, even silence is part of the official calendar. The clock no longer resets. Nintendo's commitments here are minor, but they are commitments. Commitments from a company that, with some success, has rebuilt their reputation this gen for keeping commitments.

Between now and June, nothing official will come. Between June and March, we will have reveal and know exactly when we're going to hold this thing. Speculation like "I think it comes out in March, and we actually see it in October, like the original Switch reveal" is no longer speculation based on rumors and leaks, but matches the official calendar.

Actually, the funniest thing for Nintendo to do is: say they will make an announcement sometime before April 1st, 2025, then make the announcement a week later.

Not talking a full blown out software sizzle reel. But a quick trailer about the system with the name and a few highlights (BC for sure). Then for the June Direct they just include a quick reminder that all these games will be able to be played on the successor as well. Easy peasy. That leaves the rest of 2024 for the vestiges of Switch 1 and they go all out in Jan 2025 on the Switch 2 (or toss in a fall event for the release date and some game teases or something if you want).

Less than 1% chance it happens, but can't rule it out lol

It's okay, not everyone will get/understand the significance of this (it IS significant).
not really. It doesn't change the going notion of a March 2025 release lmao. Not that I think this happens but it doesn't dispel the notion of a release after March 2025 either.

It's very much a statement of "hey we will announce the successor soon enough but right now our short term focus is all switch. Stay tuned!" And obviously many of us are looking forward to the fall months. It's the slightest bit of clarification.

The tone here is just...unnecessary.

No statement at all would have sent a signal of almost certainly after March 2025.

This statement is a signal of "aiming for March 2025, but idk, it could slip another month or two if Mario and Pokemon aren't ready."

not really. It doesn't change the going notion of a March 2025 release lmao. Not that I think this happens but it doesn't dispel the notion of a release after March 2025 either.

It's very much a statement of "hey we will announce the successor soon enough but right now our short term focus is all switch. Stay tuned!" And obviously many of us are looking forward to the fall months. It's the slightest bit of clarification.

At least Nintendo admitted this console exist and we can finally confirm we're not in a group's hallucination

Spent a solid half hour troubleshooting the fucking Steam Deck trying to get it to dock.

Excited to get a proper hybrid console within the next twelve months.

Re: codename.

I said I'd drop it if it didn't publically leak before the announcement. And I will! But not today, for two reasons. There is likely to be a rush of rumors and leaks that get elevated because suddenly it seems "real." So it's magic powers are extra useful in the next week or so. That's the first reason.

The way I found out the codename is someone simply used it in conversation as if I already knew it, and I simply smiled and nodded. Later, 3 other folk independently confirmed it with me. I can't get in trouble, and the person who mentioned it offhand can't get in trouble. The worry is that I have reason to believe that 2-3 of the people that I heard it from have the same upstream source. I don't know that person, but they could get in trouble, if it all leads back to them.

The official announcement is going to make a few people blab, and in that chaos, I think the OG Source will have enough plausible deniability that no one will get hurt. I'm probably being overly cagey, but I'm not a journalist - I just want everyone to have a fun time playing the game.

"hey we will announce the successor soon enough but right now our short term focus is all switch. Stay tuned!"

The statement given by Furukawa was a lot more specific than your paraphrase. A specific timeframe for Switch's successor was given, not just "something announced" nor "soon enough", it's newsworthy.

I said I'd drop it if it didn't publically leak before the announcement. And I will! But not today, for two reasons. There is likely to be a rush of rumors and leaks that get elevated because suddenly it seems "real." So it's magic powers are extra useful in the next week or so. That's the first reason.

The way I found out the codename is someone simply used it in conversation as if I already knew it, and I simply smiled and nodded. Later, 3 other folk independently confirmed it with me. I can't get in trouble, and the person who mentioned it offhand can't get in trouble. The worry is that I have reason to believe that 2-3 of the people that I heard it from have the same upstream source. I don't know that person, but they could get in trouble, if it all leads back to them.

The official announcement is going to make a few people blab, and in that chaos, I think the OG Source will have enough plausible deniability that no one will get hurt. I'm probably being overly cagey, but I'm not a journalist - I just want everyone to have a fun time playing the game.
This might be too much buttttt, is the code name something we expect? Or is this something that we would never guess?

Basically what I’m asking is if it’s an iteration of the NX name or something completely different?

Thanks for all of the clarity and intel you bring to this forum!

I'd hold off until there's an actual reveal. The codename not being public knowledge makes it a good shibboleth to root out fake leaks, which are going to continue until we get a full reveal. Plus, it's a fun guessing game for those of us who don't know. I have what I feel like is a good guess, so it'll be interesting to see if I'm right.

Switch 2 finally has a timeline
Me: :)

Not only is the DK ride at Universal Studios Osaka delayed to Fall 2024, but the Nintendo Museum opening is as well
Me, who already booked a trip weeks ago to visit Japan around the very beginning of fall and hit up these two places: :(

I’m no gaming journalist and probably am talking absolute bullshit but I think you’re being overly cautious here. At this point, things will be rampant and what you say will be lost in the sea of “leaks” right or wrong. If you wait later on, wouldn’t that increase the chances of your boy (or girl) getting potentially attacked by the Nintendo Ninjas?

The statement given by Furukawa was a lot more specific than your paraphrase. A specific timeframe for Switch's successor was given, not just "something announced" nor "soon enough", it's newsworthy.
I didn't say it's not newsworthy. I'm saying for this thread...it doesn't really change the going notion that we had. I get we were desperate for something but if you take a step back it's not really that significant.

But being dismissive of someone saying "oh it's okay you don't get it" is just unnecessary.
At least Nintendo admitted this console exist and we can finally confirm we're not in a group's hallucination
Okay you know what....you got me there lmao.

I’m no gaming journalist and probably am talking absolute bullshit but I think you’re being overly cautious here. At this point, things will be rampant and what you say will be lost in the sea of “leaks” right or wrong. If you wait later on, wouldn’t that increase the chances of your boy (or girl) getting potentially attacked by the Nintendo Ninjas?
you can never be too careful with this kind of stuff

you can never be too careful with this kind of stuff
I agree. But as an outsider, it seems that he could unintentionally place the main source under scrutiny because he will wait for the waves of “leaks” to fizzle out in hopes that the codename actually does slip out. Putting more of a spotlight on it, so to speak.

Again, I could totally be wrong but that’s my initial worry. I’d want to toss something real in a sea of shit so that it looks like a lucky guess.

I didn't say it's not newsworthy. I'm saying for this thread...it doesn't really change the going notion that we had. I get we were desperate for something but if you take a step back it's not really that significant.

If you find it newsworthy, why is it strange to you that people are excited about the news? News typically elicits all sorts of reactions, and it doesn't seem strange at all to me that people are excited about Nintendo officially acknowledging the Switch's successor and giving a timeframe for announcing/revealing it. And for speculation, having an official timeframe absolutely changes how people will speculate about the product in question (if nothing more than the fact that it is no longer fruitful for the community to be speculating on the broader announcement timing when that information has been officially confirmed).

But being dismissive of someone saying "oh it's okay you don't get it" is just unnecessary.

Well, that wasn't my quote, and I do agree that that comment was unnecessary. However, you're sort of being dismissive as well from the other side of the discussion, so much so that I felt it was important to point out the lack of precision in how you paraphrased Furukawa's statement, which gave the appearance of his statement being more vague than it actually was.

Last edited:

Your snark was unnecessary. And clearly, others are viewing this event differently than you are

I agree. But as an outsider, it seems that he could unintentionally place the main source under scrutiny because he will wait for the waves of “leaks” to fizzle out in hopes that the codename actually does slip out. Putting more of a spotlight on it, so to speak.

Again, I could totally be wrong but that’s my initial worry. I’d want to toss something real in a sea of shit so that it looks like a lucky guess.
I honestly think there are so many people who know it by now, it's fairly impossible for Nintendo to figure out, much less prove where the leak came from. That's if they even care if people know. I would think that's among the things they are least worried about leaking.

Please refrain from using condescending terms such as 'buddy' while addressing other users. If you think an user crossed a line, please report the post instead of adding fuel to the fire. – Party Sklar, Zellia, big lantern ghost
If you find it newsworthy, why is it strange to you that people are excited about the news? News typically elicits all sorts of reactions, and it doesn't seem strange at all to me that people are excited about Nintendo officially acknowledging the Switch's successor and giving a timeframe for announcing/revealing it.
But I don't find it strange. I'm simply just saying that it is understandable for someone to take a step back and see that it doesn't really change the calculus. It doesn't change mine because I'm in this thread every day reading speculation and the extrapolation of info that gets dumped here. Both reactions are fine and valid.
Well, that wasn't my quote, and I do agree that that comment was unnecessary. However, you're sort of being dismissive as well from the other side of the discussion, so much so that I felt it was important to point out the lack of precision in how you paraphrased Furukawa's statement, which gave the appearance of his statement being more vague than it actually was.
Not really. I can just see why someone wouldn't find it that significant. I'm dismissive to DarthDiablo's attitude which has been an issue in this thread before.
Your snark was unnecessary. And clearly, others are viewing this event differently than you are
I mean I'm just giving you the same energy. You constantly talk down to people who disagree with you. People are allowed to view the event differently than me lmao. I do not care. You just don't agree with people viewing it differently than you, buddy.

I honestly think there are so many people who know it by now, it's fairly impossible for Nintendo to figure out, much less prove where the leak came from. That's if they even care if people know. I would think that's among the things they are least worried about leaking.
This also. I think it’s a non issue, personally. But if it could be, now would be the time to say it and not later when it’ll be potentially isolated. Again, just my 2 cents. They can release the codename whenever they like.

it doesn't really change the going notion that we had.
We had a notion a Switch pro would release in 2021, then the notion was successor in 2023, then 2024, now 2025.

The expected release time frame keeps being pushed back. Having official confirmation of a reveal is a big deal.

And with the 13.5M forecast, if there was no comment on successor, we would start hearing "late 25 or early 26" quite a bit here, just like happened last year and the year before it.

With this concrete acknowledgement and promise of more info in this fiscal year, I am confident that 2026 is off the table. Second half of 2025 at the latest, but I'm leaning towards first quarter '25. There being a real timeframe is significant, as well as the framing of 'Switch successor' and not a third pillar device. Stuff we were pretty sure of but had yet to be seen in official terms.

But I don't find it strange. I'm simply just saying that it is understandable for someone to take a step back and see that it doesn't really change the calculus. It doesn't change mine because I'm in this thread every day reading speculation and the extrapolation of info that gets dumped here. Both reactions are fine and valid.
It feels to me like we've crossed an event horizon - the moment itself may feel unremarkable, but the transition puts all our discourse into a new context, and there is no going back.

Let's rewind a bit, and hopefully this will make more sense. The person you responded to was responding to the following quote:

At the time you responded, it seemed as if you agreed with the person they quoted in terms of being perplexed by the reactions and vague connection to Switch 2, otherwise, I'm not sure why you quoted them specifically responding to someone else instead of simply posting your reaction on its own, which is clearly different than some other members here (and that is ok). The person they were responding to did not appear to be merely taking "...a step back and see that it doesn't really change the calculus.", as they expressed confusion about the reactions and seemed to suggest that the statement was not directly referencing the Switch 2 successor. So it seems to me the argument you're making is different than the ones being made by the people you were responding to.

As for your clarified position, it's fine if you feel it doesn't change your speculation, but even in that framing, whatever Nintendo officially confirms becomes one less thing for you to speculate over. Let's remember this is a speculation thread. Anything Nintendo officially confirms (that was not previously confirmed by some other means) will change the speculative discussion to focus on the remaining details that have not been (or may never be) confirmed. Also, people speculate about a lot of things in this thread. If you didn't speculate about announcement timing, that's fine, but many people have and now (at least in the broadest aspect), that timeframe will not be part of future speculation, which means something has changed. That's all I'm saying.

Not sure if it was mentioned, but Steve from GVG speculated that he would like to see Nintendo use the rumored magnetic Joy Cons to act as a way of creating new and fun experiences.

About 19 minutes in:

Did the codename sound cool? Also the second half of the year is goin to be hella hypa.

I'd hold off until there's an actual reveal. The codename not being public knowledge makes it a good shibboleth to root out fake leaks, which are going to continue until we get a full reveal. Plus, it's a fun guessing game for those of us who don't know. I have what I feel like is a good guess, so it'll be interesting to see if I'm right.
Then again, the more widespread it becomes, the greater the chance someone uses it to make a fake leak.

But TBH, I don't think I ever heard trimester being used by someone speaking in English in any context
Everyone in the region of the US I live in had trimesters once they got to middle school/no longer had the same teacher the entire day (and continued on through high school.) Though, our school trimesters were (loosely) a quarter of a calendar year because we didn’t have school June-August.

Also, “trimester” is a super, super common pregnancy term used everywhere in the country.

Also Furukawa wording remind when the DS launched and Nintendo called it a ,, a third pillar of Nintendo’’ despite it being a successor to the Gameboy advance.
In that case, they called it a ‘third-pillar’ to (at least partially) hedge their bets. The DS was a paradigm shifting console for them and they had no idea if Iwata’s shift in strategy was going to be successful. Not positioning it initially as the successor to GBA afforded them the face-saving option of coming out with a more traditional follow up if the DS didn’t catch fire.

Expect leaks from employees who don't keep secrets.
Oh crazy. They work with the same people as me!

Last edited:
Please read this staff post before posting.

Furthermore, according to this follow-up post, all off-topic chat will be moderated.
Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom