• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

StarTopic Future Nintendo Hardware & Technology Speculation & Discussion |ST| (Read the staff posts before commenting!)

Used to be a big supporter of the free deluxe patches for evergreens idea, but I think only cause we had nothing else to go with and that was a theory that fit with the void of info (also because this discussion began years ago when the successor vs revision topic was still part of The Loop™)

Whereas now I accept that we (still) don't know shit. And I'm beginning to think that they'd rather choose to just put all their energy and resources into brand new games for the Switch 2. Sure, I wouldn't rule out some upgrade patches, but nothing that requires a huge investment (and granted, there are a few games that would see big improvements with a simple access to more power).

I just think they'd rather just make new evergreens rather than put a shiny 4k paintjob on old ones.
I think the fear you are expressing is a bit overdone, imo.

They can do both.

I might be misremembering, but isn't Zelda TotK rendering at 720p but upscaling via FSR1 to 900 or 1080p?

Edit: Xenoblade Chronicles 3 render res docked is 960x544 reconstructed to 1080p, and portable mode is reconstructing 776x440 to 1552x880 which is then downscaled to 720p in portable mode.
Renders at a dynamic 900p (range of 720p to 900p), upscales to 1080p with FSR1 and CAS

I think the fear you are expressing is a bit overdone, imo.

They can do both.

lol it's just a thought

m18382503590_1.jpg

and an acknowledgement that resources are not infinite, even for Nintendo.

And they just might think that a launch year full of new bangers is more attractive to consumers as a whole than prettied up games that people have already experienced.

So I don't know the details of the fsr technology and would like to know if there is any difference between fsr and dlss in terms of resolution increase.
FSR and DLSS are both kinds of technologies called temporal reconstruction. The resolution they give you is the same, but temporal upscalers don't always give you the same quality as "real" resolution. They can look blurry or have other problems.

DLSS usually looks closer to "real" resolution than FSR does. Especially when moving, or if there is a lot of particles
What??xb3 actually has 1080p in docking mode?????I just feel very blurry.
XB3 also uses a temporal reconstruction technique that Monolith designed themselves. That's why it looks blurrier than you expect.

FSR and DLSS are both kinds of technologies called temporal reconstruction. The resolution they give you is the same, but temporal upscalers don't always give you the same quality as "real" resolution. They can look blurry or have other problems.

DLSS usually looks closer to "real" resolution than FSR does. Especially when moving, or if there is a lot of particles

XB3 also uses a temporal reconstruction technique that Monolith designed themselves. That's why it looks blurrier than you expect.
Also, correct me if I'm wrong, but DLSS is done on hardware (can only be done on nVidia RTX GPUs), whereas FSR can be done on modern GPUs (based on RDNA 1 and newer) in general. DLSS being done on hardware also, I believe, gives DLSS some advantages over FSR (quicker processing)

Also, correct me if I'm wrong, but DLSS is done on hardware (can only be done on nVidia RTX GPUs), whereas FSR can be done on modern GPUs (based on RDNA 1 and newer) in general. DLSS being done on hardware also, I believe, gives DLSS some advantages over FSR (quicker processing)
No actually. according to @ILikeFeet frame time is similar (barring concurrency actually working).

FWIW, here's what I can find for Nintendo first-party developed titles on the Switch (that is, EPD, Retro, NST, NLG, and Monolith). Doesn't necessarily indicate what they'll do on the Switch 2, but I think it at least gives some idea of the scenarios in which they'd choose frame rate over resolution, and vice versa.

The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild - 900p30
Mario Kart 8 Deluxe - 1080p60
ARMS - 1080p60
Splatoon 2 - dynamic 900-1080p60
Super Mario Odyssey - dynamic 720-1080p60
Xenoblade Chronicles 2 - 720p30
Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze - 1080p60
Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker - 1080p60
New Super Mario Bros. U Deluxe - 1080p60
Super Mario Maker 2 - 900p60 or 1080p60 depending on gameplay style
Luigi's Mansion 3 - 1080p30
Animal Crossing: New Horizons - 1080p30
Xenoblade Chronicles: Definitive Edition - 720p30
Super Mario 3D All-Stars - 720p30 (SM64), 1080p30 (Sunshine), 1080p60 (Galaxy)
Pikmin 3 Deluxe - 720p30
Super Mario 3D World + Bowser's Fury - 1080p60 (SM3W), 720p60 (BF)
Metroid Dread - 900p60
Mario Strikers: Battle League - 1080p60
Xenoblade Chronicles 3 - 1080p30
Splatoon 3 - dynamic 900-1080p60
Metroid Prime Remastered - 900p60
The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom - 900p30
Pikmin 4 - 900p30
Pikmin 1+2 - 1080p30
Super Mario Bros. Wonder - 1080p60
Mario vs. Donkey Kong - 1080p60

Bowser's Fury, interestingly, retains 720p in handheld while instead dropping the framerate to 30fps. No other Nintendo game does that, AFAIK.

EDIT: I know that all the NDcube titles are 60fps, as is Nintendo Switch Sports, but it was late at night and I couldn't find quick resolution numbers for those. I assume they're all 1080p, with Switch Sports using FSR to pull it off, though.
And thus is where I am confident that
Most first party titles will be 4K. Some definitely in 60. The ones that goes dynamic 1080 to 720p are those open sprawling world. We are likely to get more pre switch remasters (pick your gaming system) then some of the ones made for Switch 2 the gameplay and overall demand are still based on Nintendo 64 or gamecube games.

What I mean is games like Animal Crossing that was design for the 64 isn't going to give you a super open world with sliding rocks and you're not likely to see the back of the buildings so no need to render that side. I can't really can describe it well but what I am saying is that it will be more common than not.

lol it's just a thought

m18382503590_1.jpg

and an acknowledgement that resources are not infinite, even for Nintendo.

And they just might think that a launch year full of new bangers is more attractive to consumers as a whole than prettied up games that people have already experienced.
I don't think you are understanding what I'm saying. They can and very well might do both. I don't think anybody is saying or suggesting patches > new games nor that we think Nintendo would have that mindset. Just that they are perfectly capable of giving some games a patch like ToTK and making new games.

And thus is where I am confident that
Most first party titles will be 4K. Some definitely in 60. The ones that goes dynamic 1080 to 720p are those open sprawling world. We are likely to get more pre switch remasters (pick your gaming system) then some of the ones made for Switch 2 the gameplay and overall demand are still based on Nintendo 64 or gamecube games.

What I mean is games like Animal Crossing that was design for the 64 isn't going to give you a super open world with sliding rocks and you're not likely to see the back of the buildings so no need to render that side. I can't really can describe it well but what I am saying is that it will be more common than not.
You overestimate too much.

a DLSS patch would take like 3 weeks at the most...
If that's all they did
it's not like there's a ton of resources that need to be allocated

I'd love them to do both but you know, it doesn't hurt to think about it.

Bayo 3 had very bad framerate (not like any bayo has perfect fps but Bayo3 suffers from it the most, not bayo ps3 levels at least but still). The textures were also very low resolution, and it looks considerably worse than Bayo 2. Not sure if Bayo 2 actually had better resolution textures but at least it manages to hide them better in any case.
Platinum to Nintendo asking for a Bayo 3 patch:
show-me-the-money-the-simpsons.gif

I don't doubt Nintendo would go out of their way to make Switch 2 patches for their internally developed games that aren't Wii U ports, but I also doubt they'd make a mandate that all 4K DLSS patches would be free if other companies wanted to charge.

a DLSS patch would take like 3 weeks at the most...
If that's all they did
it's not like there's a ton of resources that need to be allocated
Are we sure that DLSS could be implemented that fast in an average development pipeline? I was under the impression that since DLSS has to be accounted for at a foundational level that it would be require a little more intensive effort to incorporate it after the fact.

Are we sure that DLSS could be implemented that fast in an average development pipeline? I was under the impression that since DLSS has to be accounted for at a foundational level that it would be require a little more intensive effort to incorporate it after the fact.
It's a moot point anyway, because a game made for Switch 1 probably woudnt actually need dlss.

Interesting - I would have thought software-based upscaling implementations have more (natural) overhead than a hardware-based one.
they probably do all things equal, in theory. but with upscaling, you now have spare compute resources. and the idea that higher quality leads to longer computation time so DLSS could be leaving speed on the table.

but this is all theoretics since DLSS is a black box

Platinum to Nintendo asking for a Bayo 3 patch:
show-me-the-money-the-simpsons.gif

I don't doubt Nintendo would go out of their way to make Switch 2 patches for their internally developed games that aren't Wii U ports, but I also doubt they'd make a mandate that all 4K DLSS patches would be free if other companies wanted to charge.

ok well I was assuming that the engine has the TAA workflow already that DLSS needs to connect to
so benefit of the doubt there...
But still it's not a lot of dev resources... it's not a remaster... it's more like a patch

There sure are a lot of recent PC games that still don't use it and haven't added it even though they're still getting updates, so reality seems to say it's at least a little more trouble than everyone finds it worth. Fallout 4 is getting an explicit next-gen patch and still isn't adding any fancy upscaling.

I think very very few Switch games have a TAA step.

And if you add DLSS so your game can go from 900p/No AA to 1440p/Good AA, then maybe your LoDs and textures aren't looking great with the additional clarity so you should give those a boost, and if you're going this far, you may want to try to improve the framerate from 30 to 60, and you can get shorter load times too so you should really do that... and now you have a full remaster patch.

I think very very few Switch games have a TAA step.

And if you add DLSS so your game can go from 900p/No AA to 1440p/Good AA, then maybe your LoDs and textures aren't looking great with the additional clarity so you should give those a boost, and if you're going this far, you may want to try to improve the framerate from 30 to 60, and you can get shorter load times too so you should really do that... and now you have a full remaster patch.
the DLSS slippery slope... lol
or "If You Give a Game a Patch" he's gonna want a glass of textures

edit:
One thing I might add
not improving Lods and textures is probably fine... like mario galaxy in HD... or BOTW in 4K... they look... Fine.
and a framerate improvement is probably an easy win as well.
It's when you decide to rework models and textures is when the real work starts.

all of it needs to be QA tested regardless.

Last edited:
"Because Nintendo"....
As dumb as it sounds, nintendo is the company that charges you like 20 bucks for a online system where YOU are the match's host (splatoon), 20 bucks for 1 year access to a collection of thirty year old games, online fighting games with no rollback netcode (smash, pokken) and they're also the company that pioneered the concept of paying a subscription service for temporary access to game dlcs.

Idk how people are finding it hard to see nintendo pulling a "want 4k? gotta pay" card.

I don't think we can ascribe likelihoods to these scenarios like that. I'll wheel out another saying: pessimism is not realism.

Nintendo's history of enhancement patches is brief. Really, really brief. The only example of a relevant device is New Nintendo 3DS. However, I will note that patches for New Nintendo 3DS support were UNIVERSALLY free and sometimes even had new content. Based on this, and the idea of a patch being to "regreen the evergreen", a fee of any kind seems exceptionally unlikely. It just doesn't suit the business model, which is to make a good game and keep it supported and sold for many years.

New Nintendo 3DS was an iterative upgrade of an existing platform though. I don't really think the next hardware will be something even remotely similar to that one nor, to phrase it better, it will be treated as such by Nintendo.

I love Nintendo. I really do. But this is the company that asked for a fee to be able to run already purchased VC content.

Of course I want to be so wrong about this, but it's not like there are no precedents. The more effort is needed to bring enhancements (or, heck, even simply allowing games to run exactly as they did on the original Switch), the more I see it likely for Nintendo to ask money for that.

I think this is a reasonably realistic assumption but again, maybe I'll be utterly wrong and they'll pull an Xbox... I won't complain, I just think any scenario that involves free, significantlly improving patches is very unlikely.

If Nintendo isn't willing to follow the service-based gaming and all-platform wave, then it's quite possible that they'll increase their profit margins by adding fee-based programs from other sources, and this isn't just a "Because Nintendo" thing, it's a necessity in order to keep the buyout gaming environment going and keep themselves in business, so I think it would be a normal thing to see Nintendo introducing fee-basedUpgrades.

We shouldn't expect any concessions on the profit side from commercialized companies, you can like their R&D structure and entertainment spirit that keeps producing quality gameplay ideas, but to expect them to make concessions on the profit side is too "optimistic", which is also not realism.

Last edited:
DLSS is accelerated by some extra hardware, and it does give it an advantage, but that's primarily in quality. Speed is weirder?

From a quality standpoint - you don't actually want the most accurate upscaler. Well, you would if it was 100% accurate, if it gave you the exact same thing as rendering at higher resolution. But there will always be errors. Which errors matter more to the human brain, unfortunately, are highly situational.

FSR and DLSS work the same way. They take pixels from previous frames, and combine them to add detail to new frames. They get extra information from the game engine to inform those decisions. However FSR uses a bunch of hand written rules for the combination process, DLSS uses AI.

FSR is pretty good at finding detail from the old frames and putting it in the new frame. Where it falls apart is making sure those new pixels add up to something that makes sense to the human eye.

DLSS uses AI. Since AI works statistically, instead of having a bunch of human-written rules, AI is better at capturing "okay, you know what, this is probably a situation where we should connect these pixels into a line." Or "we kept this pixel last time, this looks like a situation where we should keep it because blipping it in and out of existence will be more distracting, even if it's slightly inaccurate."

DLSS's AI uses tensor cores, FSR's human written code runs on the regular GPU. In general, these two things tend to run about the same, not for technical reasons but practical ones - both of them need to run on similar spec hardware, in a similar amount of frame time, and so they are optimized accordingly.

Where speed is different is in how the algorithm works. DLSS needs to make a decision for every pixel in the final image, regardless of how much data goes in. That's why 4k DLSS times are the same, no matter the quality mode. FSR makes a decision for every new pixel the upscaler is adding. That makes FSR speed depend on the quality mode more than the output resolution.

DLSS runs on hardware that can run concurrently with rendering, FSR doesn't. That let's DLSS offer a special parallel upscaling mode where you upscale one frame while rendering another. To my knowledge no game implements that on PC, but it's potentially very interesting for consoles

That let's DLSS offer a special parallel upscaling mode where you upscale one frame while rendering another. To my knowledge no game implements that on PC, but it's potentially very interesting for consoles
There's this video from Nvidia about this being done on Wolfenstain 2 at 4:38:

I think it's an obvious fact that if you can upgrade to 4k via dlss, you're inevitably going to be running at a very low native rendering resolution on drake (540p-720p), and according to df tests, the frame times at 4k are out of the "reasonable range"."So all things considered, a 900p-1080p native rendering resolution upgraded to 1440p via dlss would be a very solid range.

It's about priorities. I personally think Nintendo would prioritize other things, while still looking sharp on a 4k tv.
Oh don't get me wrong. I truly believe that. Let's say Bayonetta 4 comes and it can't reach 4K60. 1440p 60 or 1080p 60 is something I expect. but...
no, they prioritize in making Animal Crossing 6 run at 60fps
I get that. But don't you think that a next gen animal crossing wouldn't have enough if resources to do 4K60? I mean we aren't in hyrule.
I still think 1440p is the prevailing resolution for switch2 first party games.
I see it for their top demanding game for a performance mode.

But the next inevitable 2D Kirby game can probably do more than 1440p

So you think a game like Animal Crossing wouldn't reach 4K? A next gen Animal Crossing.
What is "4K" here? DLSS reconstructed from say, 1080p and so on? That could be perfectly possible if the 2050M tests from DF are inaccurate in relation to the finished hardware, otherwise even that's a hard ask. Switch 2 will be relying on it for pretty much everything, you should just say the internal and output resolutions instead.

As dumb as it sounds, nintendo is the company that charges you like 20 bucks for a online system where YOU are the match's host (splatoon), 20 bucks for 1 year access to a collection of thirty year old games, online fighting games with no rollback netcode (smash, pokken) and they're also the company that pioneered the concept of paying a subscription service for temporary access to game dlcs.

Idk how people are finding it hard to see nintendo pulling a "want 4k? gotta pay" card.
While I don't expect things to be free, you have to admit that the scenario created for "knowing Nintendo" was ridiculous. And what's the point of these other mentionables without actually putting context into them? The online fighting games are peer-to-peer, meaning any sort of rollback via netcode has to happen on the systems themselves, and Switch isn't exactly in a good spot for handling such CPU-compounded situations, especially in a game like Smash that can have up to 8 players AND various interactable objects at the same time. And pioneering paying a subscription for temporary access to game DLC? Did you ignore what else that subscription tier includes? That added cost over the basic subscription for the expansion has more to do with paying the various 3rd-parties, like Sega and Microsoft. Heck, the $20 a year counts for online play, an ever-growing collection of retro games (not simply shuffled in and out), additional discounts via vouchers if you're a digital person, etc.

It's one thing to think Nintendo won't let upgrades go without a price, but it's another to assume they'd blow it out to such extremes. Do their competitors even go that far?

Has their been any updated rumor on when Nintendo will be announcing this? I'm still hopeful we hear something before the May Fiscal Meeting, but for some reason I think that they will once again act like the console doesn't exist and just say that projections are based on current hardware. June is also a possibility, but they may want to focus on what the Switch has left for the year. I know we just have to be patient, but it feels like we are in the same place with speculation for the last two years.

Has their been any updated rumor on when Nintendo will be announcing this? I'm still hopeful we hear something before the May Fiscal Meeting, but for some reason I think that they will once again act like the console doesn't exist and just say that projections are based on current hardware. June is also a possibility, but they may want to focus on what the Switch has left for the year. I know we just have to be patient, but it feels like we are in the same place with speculation for the last two years.
there has been none

What is "4K" here? DLSS reconstructed from say, 1080p and so on? That could be perfectly possible if the 2050M tests from DF are inaccurate in relation to the finished hardware, otherwise even that's a hard ask. Switch 2 will be relying on it for pretty much everything, you should just say the internal and output resolutions instead.
You know what that's fair. I haven't really stated that. I was just assuming we all were talking about output. But I will keep that in mind about the internals.

Hmm the whole "adding upgrades patches" to NSO doesn't sound too wild. Buy it for 10 or just sub to NSO. Kinda like Mario Kart.

-If you are a host, if the game is p2p or server based, is dependent on the game and not the service. You think there are no p2p games on Xbox and PS? Guess who is the host when you play Bloodborne? Paying to play online is, imo, a scam on any system, I don't consider any of them a better online service.
-access to 100+ retro games with online support for 20 bucks is not a bad deal tbh. I'm not gonna pretend like it's groundbreaking or anything but it's not too bad. SNES and Genesis have rollback too.
-no rollback sucks but the Switch doesn't have the computing power to support it in those games. Other games like Melty Blood do support it though.
-Temporary access to dlc is not so different from temporary access to Games. Either way you're just renting access to digital content. Doesn't sound any better or worse to me.

Anyway, I can still see them charging for it. Or not doing it at all. It's hard to predict but if I had to make a bet, I'd say they will only offer patches for a really small selection of games (Less than 10, maybe even less than 5) and charge like 5 bucks for it.

Oh don't get me wrong. I truly believe that. Let's say Bayonetta 4 comes and it can't reach 4K60. 1440p 60 or 1080p 60 is something I expect. but...

I get that. But don't you think that a next gen animal crossing wouldn't have enough if resources to do 4K60? I mean we aren't in hyrule.

I see it for their top demanding game for a performance mode.

But the next inevitable 2D Kirby game can probably do more than 1440p
Animal Crossing is not a franchise that demand a lot for a console, it will be easy to do 4K60 on Animal Crossing 6

Animal Crossing is not a franchise that demand a lot for a console, it will be easy to do 4K60 on Animal Crossing 6
And that's what I mean by Nintendo's other franchises. The majority of them are not demanding. I think that's where some of us get mixed up.

1. 2D Mario
  2. Warioware
  3. <insert your favorite> Sports
  4. Mario party
  5. Mario Kart
  6. Smash bros
  7. Paper Mario

So when I say, among the first part games. 4K (output with DLSS) will probably be more common than not. It is the monolith soft huge Xeno universe. The big 3D Zelda, Bayonetta 4: we are getting kinda old, and maybe Super Mario universe will be 1440p or less....maybe.

Next week?
They definitely aren't going to say anything on Golden Week, so the last week of the month is out. I think next week is a possibility if only because they have announced a new console outside an earnings release or trade show once or twice this century. But if I had to bet, it's probably going to be the earnings release.

Please read this staff post before posting.

Furthermore, according to this follow-up post, all off-topic chat will be moderated.
Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom