• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

StarTopic Future Nintendo Hardware & Technology Speculation & Discussion |ST| (Read the staff posts before commenting!)

How do you get to 4 years? If it taped out H1 2022 that's 3.

Isnt it a modified T234?

That chip released in 2021 (technically unveiled in 2019). The featureset is updated but the fact it wont have modern DLSS features just the standard (no deep learning) is disheartening

I swear we’ve had this “it’s happening” -> “oh wait happening is delayed / cancelled” for the last few years.

I’m just a bit upset that I let myself get so excited about things this time around.

Its possible they will just go ahead and release Prime 4 on Switch 1, even if it was originally planned as a cross gen launch title.
Yeah, I think it's a strong possibility that MP4 will be their big holiday game for Switch 1 now. But it would feel really shitty if they sell that to us in November only to turn around and sell it to us again for $70 on Switch 2 a few months later. At that point, it seems like there would have to be some sort of "next gen enhancement patch" for free (MS style) or for a low price (Sony style).

Also maybe this will finally give them a reason to finally release the FE 4 remake they've apparently been sitting on for years lol.

2011 Wii had Skyward Sword

They're killing any momentum they had by doing this

It's the equivalent of Wii's 2012 except they are waiting even longer
i keep seeing people make this connection. while true that this possible delay is not ideal, the switch to switch 2 cadence is nowhere near the disaster of wii to wii u. the horrible handling of the wii's later years certainly didn't help, but the wii u concept itself was just bad. the switch 2 will not be.

Nah, the Switch has pretty good third-party support even though it's winding down and still has a lot of stuff this year.

The Switchs prolonged success and ease of development is definitely a boon it has

I guess I'm just sad even though Nintendo unified their console and handheld teams (for software along with hardware) they seem to still struggle with generation transitions

Seems to be a structural issue

Three things:

• Would this be the earliest tapeout of an SOC prior to a system/tech launch? Almost 3 years? (Hope we get 16 GB of ram now)
  • would explain the quietness and lack of bigger/more rumors from other sourcesleading up to announcement (IGN, Gamespot, Jeff Grubb, etc.)
  • Kimishima wound up being right about an 8-10 year system lifecycle in the end lmao

I really didn't want to rely on having to use GeForce NOW for an extra year

Hidden content is only available for registered users. Sharing it outside of Famiboards is subject to moderation.

This will be a pretty big bummer if true. I'm inclined to believe there is something to this because both Eurogamer and VGC are backing it up. This does make the situation really strange. No general Direct this February because there isn't enough high profile Nintendo developed software to warrant a full scale Direct. Current rumors are suggesting that a Partners Showcase may happen next week. With Switch entering its eighth year on the market, how in the world does Nintendo find itself in a situation where they need to delay? The lineup for Switch this year is very weak. Its not quite as bad as what happened with the Wii in 2011, but it will be a pretty hard fall for sales. Who knows, maybe Nintendo really wants Switch to take that top spot making it the highest selling console ever. LOL
Agreed with everything you said but I would discount the "Eurogamer and VGC" part, both are under the same publishing house, so I feel like those should only count as 1 rather than 2.

Isnt it a modified T234?

That chip released in 2021 (technically unveiled in 2019). The featureset is updated but the fact it wont have modern DLSS features just the standard (no deep learning) is disheartening
T239 is a distinct design from T234. It is not literally that chip but cut down, even if they are in the same family and share the same GPU architecture.

I swear we’ve had this “it’s happening” -> “oh wait happening is delayed / cancelled” for the last few years.

I’m just a bit upset that I let myself get so excited about things this time around.
Yeah, we went through a similar thing last February with Nate's "Switch Pro was Cancelled" podcast. February brings nothing but bad hardware news.

Isnt it a modified T234?

Everything about this post is wrong.

It's a custom chip, made by the Orin team. It probably taped out H1 2022, and most signs point to the 4N process (same as Lovelace). DLSS literally stands for Deep Learning Super Sampling, so yes it has deep learning (as every standard RTX card).

The only thing you could say it's slightly dated, is its ampere feature set. But since its a 4N chip, that shouldn't matter to much.

WUST was so much more fun than this era

Also we are gonna be getting a 4 year old processor in the Switch 2 if I am getting things right?
WUST was the golden age. anyone insinuating it was a bad time wasn't there lol

Fuck it. After I am done with XC3, I will start TOTK. I can’t wait for that long. Fuck 4k and all.
at least you're fixing your mistake. better later than never. boggles my mind to read people here skip great games like Xenoblade 3 and Pikmin 4 and so many others because Switch 1 is "lacking"

I just don’t understand how it could be first party software related unless they have games that are in seriously bad shape.
I believe the release of the Gamecube was held back because software wasn't ready for it yet. First party software delays delaying launch is something that's been in the back of my mind since we became sure 2024 was the year. Shame it might have come to pass. We'll have to wait and see what they say in March.

My uncle sources at Nintendo said that T239 was going to be on SEC 8nm and should have released in 2023, but now we're getting a new SoC with 24 SM using TMSC 3nm.

being disappointed is fine but calling it the next Wii U is hyperbolic

I hope people don't legitimately believe it will be the next Wii U

But it does echo concerns for how Nintendo still struggles with generation transitions. I can't help but be awestruck at the possibility of 8 years between launches

Although I believe this could be a case of re: Switch Pro and/or leakers being fed false intel, Switch 2 2025 is a possibility.

————

Joke post:

Nintendo fumbling another successor’s launch again

Yeah, we went through a similar thing last February with Nate's "Switch Pro was Cancelled" podcast. February brings nothing but bad hardware news.

I still don’t understand or really believe that story. I’m sure things were happening with hardware in the background but nobody was ever able to explain how we got from a 2023 revision release to a 2024 successor release.

WUST was the golden age. anyone insinuating it was a bad time wasn't there lol

at least you're fixing your mistake. better later than never. boggles my mind to read people here skip great games like Xenoblade 3 and Pikmin 4 and so many others because Switch 1 is "lacking"

People were nicer too, idk why a lot of people seem way more aggressive and defensive now 😅

Personally, I’m not bothered by any delays because time is an illusion, the sweet release of death etc. etc.

However, part of me wants maximum chaos so I really hope Nintendo put out false information just to find out who was leaking it like that episode of Game of Thrones where Tyrion tells Grand Maester Pycelle, Lord Varys, and Peter Baelish a different plan just to find out whom he could trust.

Update from the Nintendo Weather Service:

“Forecasts are severely pessimistic.

Not only are there chances of weak hardware but a high chance of a delay. NWS cautions all to stay prepared and bundle up.”

(Although only current Nintendo Switch bundles will be available for the foreseeable future)

Thank you…

Everything about this post is wrong.

It's a custom chip, made by the Orin team. It probably taped out H1 2022, and most signs point to the 4N process (same as Lovelace). DLSS literally stands for Deep Learning Super Sampling, so yes it has deep learning (as every standard RTX card).

The only thing you could say it's slightly dated, is its ampere feature set. But since its a 4N chip, that shouldn't matter to much.

It has hardware based deep learning with Tensore Cores no?

Not the deep learning accelerator found in newer Nvidia chips that uses less processing power?

Please read this staff post before posting.

Furthermore, according to this follow-up post, all off-topic chat will be moderated.
Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom