• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

StarTopic Future Nintendo Hardware & Technology Speculation & Discussion |ST| (Read the staff posts before commenting!)

If it's not confirmed as existing tonight, I think it's an H2 thing. That said, at 11:15pm when I'm noticing that I'm falling asleep reading (currently reading The Way of Kings), I'll end up checking this thread.

I don't think we can expect anything more than a confirmation of news later this year or not tonight. I don't expect any details at all.

H1 release died when it didn’t get announced in January.

If the thing doesn’t get announced before April that would be when I start worrying if it will even come out this year.
Tomorrow and May are the last 2 chances for Nintendo to acknowledge Switch 2 if the plans are for it to come this year. Hopefully it does get announced at either one of those time because I do not want to wait until 2025 for that thing.

H1 release died when it didn’t get announced in January.

If the thing doesn’t get announced before April that would be when I start worrying if it will even come out this year.
I think it's unlikely but still possible for H1.

The big thing is that at some point the number of people who know about it's existence in a substantial way goes beyond a point where it can be kept relatively quiet. I think that's about 4 months before retail partners need know to get all their advertising in order for preorders and such. Once they're properly informed, it's very difficult to keep things under wraps. If it's acknowledged tonight, it can still be H1. A week between January and now won't make a difference.

I think it's unlikely but still possible for H1.

The big thing is that at some point the number of people who know about it's existence in a substantial way goes beyond a point where it can be kept relatively quiet. I think that's about 4 months before retail partners need know to get all their advertising in order for preorders and such. Once they're properly informed, it's very difficult to keep things under wraps. If it's acknowledged tonight, it can still be H1. A week between January and now won't make a difference.
What happens if preorders go live in H1 but release is in H2?

Everybody wins?

Nintendo learned full well with Switch 1 you only really need about 4 months to market a piece of hardware to regular consumers. They were never going to go back to announcing hardware years/8-10 months in advance ever again after that.

Sony is releasing first party PC games after 1-2 years.
Microsoft (allegedly) will start releasing first party multiplatform games after 1-2 years and PC versions day 1.
Nintendo?

I wouldn't rule out a Nintendo being pressured to do "something" by shareholders/fans if the above two situations make them big money and do not devalue their hardware business. Maybe around the time Switch 3 talk picks up. My guess is Nintendo releasing some "choice" games on PC. Like Fire emblem, Clubhouse games, Advance Wars, and Pikmin. Way less of a chance but Animal Crossing, Splatoon, and pokemon would also be great candidates. Mario, Zelda, Metroid, Kirby are all staying exclusive forever.
Pokemon is tricky. There's much money to be made on PC but it also sells consoles.

Last edited:
I expect the reveal to happen right before they start mass production, which IMO would happen 5 months before launch.

Do we know when the Switch went into mass production? Was there anything about this in the gigaleak?

I expect the reveal to happen right before they start mass production, which IMO would happen 5 months before launch.

Do we know when the Switch started mass production? Was there anything about it on the gigaleak?
For a Switch 2, leaks don't really have to happen during manufacture. Switch Lite it was inevitable (with pictures and everything!), but if Switch 2 looks like a Switch with a new motherboard and slightly larger screen, then there's not a lot for a funcle to take pictures of.

I guess a warehouse worker could take pictures of new boxes. Does anyone remember how far ahead of the TotK OLED model we had pictures?

Y'know I got gotta ask where are Nintendo manufacturing these next gen hardware, is it on the moon? No other company product is this hidden. It supposedly comes out this year but no damn leaks.

I guess a warehouse worker could take pictures of new boxes. Does anyone remember how far ahead of the TotK OLED model we had pictures?

It was leaked in the end of december (the game was released in may) edit: but It seems the zelda oled was officially announced in the end of march

I don't think Nintendo will risk having their extremely hyped next-gen leaked. Well, I wouldn't lol

Last edited:
Y'know I got gotta ask where are Nintendo manufacturing these next gen hardware, is it on the moon? No other company product is this hidden. It supposedly comes out this year but no damn leaks.
Nintendo is pretty good at no leaks. There are ninjas and everything.

I think the pattern will be something like:

1) Substantial leak (factory shots or a game developer saying way too much)
2) Acknowledgement of existence
3) Reveal 4 months before launch.

Steps 1 & 2 are optional.

If we don't hear tonight/tomorrow of an acknowledgement though, I don't expect us to hear until May or June. Those three steps can be really close together, but if they say they can't confirm or deny tonight, then announce in 3 days, some shareholders are going to be pissed.

All this doom and gloom and we're all of a week into February, not even.

161, trust the process.

People lack serious patience. It won't be announced now, again, I'm well aware of a deadline of Q2 2024 for "software" coming to next gen hardware which means an announcement/reveal/direct will occur around then, Q4 2024 release is the expectation from that point, typical holiday release for a typical holiday blow-out sales wise.

2024 is the intended release year as I've been saying and it hasn't changed, it's still on track. You'll be hearing even more news and seeing more fire each month as we get closer.

Trust the process.

People lack serious patience. It won't be announced now, again, I'm well aware of a deadline of Q2 2024 for "software" coming to next gen hardware which means an announcement/reveal/direct will occur around then, Q4 2024 release is the expectation from that point, typical holiday release for a typical holiday blow-out sales wise.

2024 is the intended release year as I've been saying and it hasn't changed, it's still on track. You'll be hearing even more news and seeing more fire each month as we get closer.

Trust the process.
What.

Oh, no, I'm calling for patience but I'm still on Team H1, even purely going off the facts we know it's pretty reasonable.

I'll leave Team H1 on July 1st 0:00, per usual.

Last edited:
they should. Playground Games, MachineGames, Undead Labs, so many good MS studios need new homes
And do what with them exactly is what Nintendo would be asking.
One reason Nintendo will shy away from buying other developers is how would they fit into Nintendo’s ecosystem.

Nintendo is pretty good at no leaks. There are ninjas and everything.

I think the pattern will be something like:

1) Substantial leak (factory shots or a game developer saying way too much)
2) Acknowledgement of existence
3) Reveal 4 months before launch.

Steps 1 & 2 are optional.

If we don't hear tonight/tomorrow of an acknowledgement though, I don't expect us to hear until May or June. Those three steps can be really close together, but if they say they can't confirm or deny tonight, then announce in 3 days, some shareholders are going to be pissed.
Haven’t we already had multiple “acknowledgements” of existence already though?

Tbf, if it doesn't get announced tonoght, i'll get to seriously doubt about H1 release
I don't think it ever had a chance of being a H1 release. The reports from Gamescom last year all said it was targeting H2 and I'm pretty sure by "sooner" they meant the sooner part of the H2 window not before H2.

Anyway gut prediction time.

10% chance:
  • Announced today via press release
  • Awkwardly specify that no new hardware will be shown during this month's Direct
  • Full unveiling in March in time for GDC
  • 6-7 month marketing cycle for September or October release

85% chance:
  • Silence today
  • Devs given a much more in-depth showing behind closed door at GDC in March (this being why Nate was hearing "March" from sources), expect leaks
  • Press release announcement during (or just before) the May investors meeting
  • Full unveiling in June
  • 3-4 month marketing cycle

5% chance:
- Nintendo does something completely unpredictable just to spite me

Last edited:
The thing to me is that they're working on defining what Switch 3 will be now and Switch 2 isn't even announced. In fact, they're probably defining 2 different post generation 2 Switches. One for a 3-4 year cycle and another for a 7 year cycle. They'll probably decide which one it is within a year of launching Switch 2. They're looking at roadmaps for TSMC and NVidia and ARM and working out when it will be worth the disruption to put out something new to continue to compete with Sony and Apple for everyone's time and money.

They've also already planned Switch 2 Lite, Switch 2 Home, and Switch 2 XL if they exist.

The thing to me is that they're working on defining what Switch 3 will be now and Switch 2 isn't even announced. In fact, they're probably defining 2 different post generation 2 Switches. One for a 3-4 year cycle and another for a 7 year cycle. They'll probably decide which one it is within a year of launching Switch 2. They're looking at roadmaps for TSMC and NVidia and ARM and working out when it will be worth the disruption to put out something new to continue to compete with Sony and Apple for everyone's time and money.

They've also already planned Switch 2 Lite, Switch 2 Home, and Switch 2 XL if they exist.
3-4 year cycle strikes me as "too soon". We're already at the point of diminishing returns for graphical fidelity, so I think it makes sense to see longer lifecycles comparable to Switch 1's.

3-4 year cycle strikes me as "too soon". We're already at the point of diminishing returns for graphical fidelity, so I think it makes sense to see longer lifecycles comparable to Switch 1's.
I don't disagree. I just think they like to have options open. I think it was a distinct possibility for Switch 1. I thought we were going to get more clock options when the Mariko variant launched. I guess it depends on whether it's a distinct generation or more like phone generations. Maybe a 3-4 year upgrade is higher clocks and 4 more CUs on a smaller node with no other real changes.

Last edited:
I'm going to sleep. When I get up, I want the numer of pages of this thread to be 2400. I want hundreds of posts cheering because Furukawa finally ackowledged Switch 2. That's the only reality I allow to exist.

That said, good night/evening/day to everyone.

I'm going to sleep. When I get up, I want the numer of pages of this thread to be 2400. I want hundreds of posts cheering because Furukawa finally ackowledged Switch 2. That's the only reality I allow to exist.

That said, good night/evening/day to everyone.
In 5 and a half hours everyone go ape shit and act like the Switch 2 was announced

Meaning of Seeing Angel Number 161​

If you keep seeing Angel Number 161, it is a strong sign that your angels and the Universe are working with you to bring your dreams to reality. Trust in the process and have faith that everything will fall into place. Your angels are urging you to stay positive, optimistic, and keep your thoughts, words, and actions aligned with your higher purpose.
#TTP
the process™️ mentioned.

announcement of the new Nintendo Switch 161 coming out with Metroid Prime 161 imminent.

It’s when the actual meeting will take place but if they make a significant announcement you can count on it ending up in the press right away if not on Nintendo’s official social media channels.
Ok, well assuming that doesn't happen, when will the information be released publicly?

This might be slightly off-topic, but what is happening to Xbox?
Previous rumors about Hi-Fi Rush going multiplat have turned into "basically everything is going multiplat" then into "Xbox is going third-party". Phil Spencer said in response that there's going to be a "business update" next week on the "future of Xbox" which has certainly not inspired public confidence.

many first party games are about to go multiplatform on nintendo and playstation
I’m going back in time to tell the kid who told me “Mario would be on Xbox before halo is on Nintendo”
And pat my younger self on the back and give myself a ballon

For future purposes how do people post memes and gifs here?
Press the image button then insert image link. Search engines will have an "open image in new tab" button for you to copy the URL. As for screenshots, I just use Discord to DM the images to my alt account.
Screenshot_20240205_202644_Opera.jpg

Oh there are rumours direct is Feb 12-15th and only for Q1 titles (so 45 days after?, not even first half). If so, yeah there will probably be a Switch 2 announcement afterwards within a month or so.

Typically it's mid afternoon Japan time, so should be in another 2-3 hours.
4 hours and 13 minutes from now approximately, if I'm not mistaken, but that's just the start time. We may not know much if anything for hours afterwards.

Please read this staff post before posting.

Furthermore, according to this follow-up post, all off-topic chat will be moderated.
Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom