• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

StarTopic Future Nintendo Hardware & Technology Speculation & Discussion |ST| (Read the staff posts before commenting!)

This is definitely why Nintendo is looking for third parties to handle their IP. Games are taking longer and longer to develop, they’re going to need raw person-power to support a regular release schedule

They could increase their in-house workforce by aquiring some third party devs!

(It's a joke, please put the cakes and stones down!)

Actually is has not gotten much attention, but the clear troll is baiting in every page, repeating that it is a leak, rumour and whatnot and this person is getting much attention from people trying to debate in good faith and respond to these concerns.
I am not talking about the bait poster but on Twitter. Big accounts reposted the "news" and got crazy metrics.

Edit: good timing @Serif lmao

Because Nintendo works for saying Nintendo will try different things that other companies are not willing to do. But somehow “because Nintendo” got applied to every decision they make.

I will lose my mind if I hear 8gb 64gb one more time in this thread. I really think we should ban it, it’s just rage bait at this point.

After real (better) specs are released, troll ragebaiters: "Damn! I better update my cynical bulletpoints!". Or probably disappear altogether.

tbh I think anyone who wastes even so much as a second of their life even considering the stupid opinions of unknowing freaks found in twitter replies should really consider doing anything else with their precious time on this earth. Watching paint dry would be more productive

Have we gotten any credible hints on release timing on this thing? Or is it still just sometime in 2024 most likely second half? I'm surprised we haven't had more concrete leaks.

16GB RAM and LCD screen, or 12GB RAM and OLED?

For my money, I'd take the 16GB RAM

16 GB RAM and OLED

30f

Last edited:
tbh I think anyone who wastes even so much as a second of their life even considering the stupid opinions of unknowing freaks found in twitter replies should really consider doing anything else with their precious time on this earth. Watching paint dry would be more productive
My fault for sharing but there's a degree of catharsis to succumbing to rage bait.

Also I'm just genuinely surprised at the extent of rewriting reality going on. "And it still won't play Bluetooth headphones" "wow that's 63 GB more than I expected". How deep is the brain rot.

My fault for sharing but there's a degree of catharsis to succumbing to rage bait.

Also I'm just genuinely surprised at the extent of rewriting reality going on. "And it still won't play Bluetooth headphones" "wow that's 63 GB more than I expected". How deep is the brain rot.

Two things that will never not be true:

- No one in the world knows everything that you know.

- Everyone in the world knows things that you don’t.

Two things that will never not be true:

- No one in the world knows everything that you know.

- Everyone in the world knows things that you don’t.
I'm well aware of this... so this just comes off as condescending. I was more remarking on the confident wrongness of those replies. Not the fact that not everyone's on the same page regarding the Switch or Switch 2 specs. I'm having a laugh, not genuinely questioning people's mental capabilities.

I'm well aware of this... so this just comes off as condescending. I was more remarking on the confident wrongness of those replies. Not the fact that not everyone's on the same page regarding the Switch or Switch 2 specs. I'm having a laugh, not genuinely questioning people's mental capabilities.
Sorry, not trying to condescend. I’m just saying that plenty of people don’t know anything. I don’t pay them any mind.

I saw a similar thing on social media recently. After Square Enix’s President put out a New Year’s message being like “we’re gonna use AI” someone who I have a bunch of mutual friends with was like “DOES THIS PRESIDENT EVER STOP SAYING STUPID GARBAGE IN HIS YEARLY MESSAGE” to which I replied “This is a different guy. Square Enix replaced their President back in June” and instead of deleting their tweet or saying “ah my bad” they just ignored me and continued being angry. Some people would rather be angry and ignorant.

Last edited:
You know you guys talk a lot about the stupidity of the bait youtubers and twitter people but y'all haven't seen Tiktok. It's worse lmao.

It's like getting a glimpse into a whole other world.

16GB RAM and LCD screen, or 12GB RAM and OLED?

For my money, I'd take the 16GB RAM
At this point, with Necrolipe bravado, I am inclined to believe that the Switch 2 will have 16gb of ram and at minimum 128gb of storage.

After learning a little bit about how memory bandwidth works I do understand that the switch 2 will be memory starved in some instances but having 16gb of memory is worth having.

I would be fine if the Switch 2 came with 12gb but would be jumping for joy if it came with 16gb of ram.

My expectations

“Why so expensive?”
“Why is it so weak compared to my console 20 times bigger?”
“Nintendo should have used this unreleased technology instead”
“A78c is announced two years ago and so it is outdated”
I am hoping the Steam Deck grounds people's expectations a little bit. By its release RDNA 2 was 2 years old, Zen 2 was almost 3 years old.

I just finished a Lies of P playthrough and to achieve 'Series S parity' (which is dynamic 1080p 60 FPS in performance mode) I turned down most of the settings to Low and used FSR2 in Performance mode so 540p -> 1080p.

Unless people are out there thinking a Steam Deck plugged into an external display is matching the Series S.

And that's without all the battery life and price comparisons... sometimes I can't believe I dropped $50 more than a Series X on a Deck OLED.

I am hoping the Steam Deck grounds people's expectations a little bit. By its release RDNA 2 was 2 years old, Zen 2 was almost 3 years old.

I just finished a Lies of P playthrough and to achieve 'Series S parity' (which is dynamic 1080p 60 FPS in performance mode) I turned down most of the settings to Low and used FSR2 in Performance mode so 540p -> 1080p.

Unless people are out there thinking a Steam Deck plugged into an external display is matching the Series S.

And that's without all the battery life and price comparisons... sometimes I can't believe I dropped $50 more than a Series X on a Deck OLED.
In my experience, people tend to severely overestimate the power of the Steam Deck, especially if they don't own one. They think "Wow, I can play all of these current generation games!" without taking into account all of the settings tweaks and compromises needed to make that happen.

In my experience, people tend to severely overestimate the power of the Steam Deck, especially if they don't own one. They think "Wow, I can play all of these current generation games!" without taking into account all of the settings tweaks and compromises needed to make that happen.
Yep but it’s weird and quirky and made for tech tinkers like me. I love it despite all of its flaws and short comings, when I was 12 or so I dreamed about getting the gpd win 2 in 2019 or whenever it came out. But I love the fact that the switch finally gave us true console quality gaming on the go. That’s why I think the switch 2 specs are perfect to blow us away again like the switch did in 2017.

My expectations

“Why so expensive?”
“Why is it so weak compared to my console 20 times bigger?”
“Nintendo should have used this unreleased technology instead”
“A78c is announced two years ago and so it is outdated”
If the rumors are true, my reaction will be:
"Why is the thing so big?"

This is definitely why Nintendo is looking for third parties to handle their IP. Games are taking longer and longer to develop, they’re going to need raw person-power to support a regular release schedule
The Switch has really been the proving ground for this strategy already. Fire Emblem: Warriors, Mario + Rabbids, Link's Awakening, Cadence of Hyrule, Metroid Dread, Age of Calamity, Pikmin 4. Only a couple of these were unprecedented moves, but I think they collectively represent Nintendo being more aggressive in matching 3rd parties to their IPs.

They've also expanded their IP by getting it from other developers (well, Platinum). They aggressively licensed Bayonetta, then just bought Astral Chain outright.

They've expanded what internal studios can work on. NERD, "just" an R&D division, did Super Mario 3D All-Stars soup to nuts, which would normally have gone outside. They also did Pikmin 1+2, which likely wouldn't have even been viable had NERD not done it. NST developed Bowser's Fury, a real and original game which is good!

And they've expanded their non-IP based partnerships. They money-hatted Monster Hunter: Rise, and they've got console exclusivity on the Stories spin-offs. They co-publish Triangle Strategy, Live A Live, ensuring all of Square's nostalgia grabs land in the West (and getting some form of limited exclusivity), and let Ubisoft handle publishing duties for Mario + Rabbids, cushioning the financial risk of letting someone get wild with their IP.

And to bring it back to technology - they're aggressively consolidating their engines internally. Mario Wonder, Tears of the Kingdom, and Switch Sports all share an engine. Having a dedicated tools and technology group is likely intended to drive down costs and speed up development.

The Switch has really been the proving ground for this strategy already. Fire Emblem: Warriors, Mario + Rabbids, Link's Awakening, Cadence of Hyrule, Metroid Dread, Age of Calamity, Pikmin 4. Only a couple of these were unprecedented moves, but I think they collectively represent Nintendo being more aggressive in matching 3rd parties to their IPs.

They've also expanded their IP by getting it from other developers (well, Platinum). They aggressively licensed Bayonetta, then just bought Astral Chain outright.

They've expanded what internal studios can work on. NERD, "just" an R&D division, did Super Mario 3D All-Stars soup to nuts, which would normally have gone outside. They also did Pikmin 1+2, which likely wouldn't have even been viable had NERD not done it. NST developed Bowser's Fury, a real and original game which is good!

And they've expanded their non-IP based partnerships. They money-hatted Monster Hunter: Rise, and they've got console exclusivity on the Stories spin-offs. They co-publish Triangle Strategy, Live A Live, ensuring all of Square's nostalgia grabs land in the West (and getting some form of limited exclusivity), and let Ubisoft handle publishing duties for Mario + Rabbids, cushioning the financial risk of letting someone get wild with their IP.

And to bring it back to technology - they're aggressively consolidating their engines internally. Mario Wonder, Tears of the Kingdom, and Switch Sports all share an engine. Having a dedicated tools and technology group is likely intended to drive down costs and speed up development.
Makes sense because Sony and Microsoft have like 6 current engines in use each, it’s probably really expensive to have cod, doom, halo, and gears all use different engines. Same with horizon and Spider-Man 2.

This goes against more recent 'leaks' about the device 8GB RAM 64GB storage but splurging on 120hz screen goes against above @necrolipe 's reporting. Those recent numbers feel like a troll job, but what do i know.
Not only that he speak as if we have to carry some burden.

"Aye lad! Winter is coming! Prepare for Nintendo to bring 8 gigs of ram to our land!".🙄🙄😒 dude just relax.

If it's not "all over the place", curious, does anyone know what kind of monetary agreement are "standard" for Nintendo giving out new IP games to 3rd parties (such as some examples OldPuck listed.. Fire Emblem: Warriors, Mario + Rabbids, Link's Awakening, Cadence of Hyrule, Metroid Dread, Age of Calamity, Pikmin 4)

Like what % of revenues go to 3rd party, what % goes to Nintendo, etc?

I know there are probably intangible benefits (3rd party name getting more attention, leading to more potential future projects, etc).

Nah it’s probably 6gb of lpddr4 same speed as switch and 64gb of the same storage in the oled, and t239 has been canceled and they will use an unnamed ultra low cost (22$) custom soc by nvidia.
/s

Yup there's a lot of that. Some people think the Steam Deck will be capable of emulating the Switch 2. People who own the Steam Deck.

4nm to 2nm, and newer architecture for the gpu (Blackwell?) with a newer cpu architecture is all they could do. Maybe more faster ram?
They probably wouldn't opt for new CPU/GPU architectures. PS4 Pro still used GCN 2.0 even when GCN 4.0 was out, and all that changed with the CPU was a higher clock. At most, I could see a die shrink and higher clocks across the board. Maybe (and this is a big maybe) increase the SM count to 16.

Please read this staff post before posting.

Furthermore, according to this follow-up post, all off-topic chat will be moderated.
Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom