• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

StarTopic Future Nintendo Hardware & Technology Speculation & Discussion |ST| (Read the staff posts before commenting!)

Those Mariko videos are quite impressive. Nintendo almost had a switch pro since 2019, it's too bad they didn't give us the choice to have a high performance profile.

Those Mariko videos are quite impressive. Nintendo almost had a switch pro since 2019, it's too bad they didn't give us the choice to have a high performance profile.

Seems as good a time as any to bring up Mochizuki’s article again:

It’s so easy to see how this reporting came about.

👀

1622630044_616_TSMC-7nm-5nm-and-4nm-more-density-yield-and-EUV.jpg

From: https://www.hardwaretimes.com/tsmc-...-processors-in-2022-a-closer-look-at-the-two/

Most if not all games that have homebrew patches only unlock frame rates, not increase resolution. What they’re doing is forcing the docked profile (max 720p) to run in portable mode to match the screen. I don’t think people have found a way to remove the resolution cap to allow for games capped at 720p/900p to go up to 1080p with Mariko.
Thats not true, what happend is that ppl stop making IR patches because almost nobody has a homebrew mariko switches, thats why ReverseNX is more than enough for Erista switches. But there are some resolution patches and also they are posible to make with some knowlage.

Interesting, but are we totally sure that Nvidia will use this node for next switch? that will be awesome 😍

Interesting, but are we totally sure that Nvidia will use this node for next switch? that will be awesome 😍
Nope. Even though it would be completely baffling to us with that gpu size, maybe they found a way to make 8 nm work with 12 sm. Everything about node is speculation.

Other video, now is with CTR it has 2 patches, one to unlock 60 FPS (from 30FPS) and the other one to use DSR up to 720P (Instead of lock 480P) in portable mode. Why not using dock profile, because it is 720P lock with more effects and AA and that cant keep stable 60 FPS (with handheld max OC it actually can with Dock max OC).

*FPS diference is kind of hard to notice after enconding it on premiere. My original footage has 2 separates videos and was easier to see there.

Last edited:
Nobody's totally sure. But I do think there's a non-zero chance any process node from TSMC's N5 process node family, including TSMC's 4N process node, could be used. And I do think TSMC's N6 process node can't be discounted as an option as well.

Other video, now is with CTR it has 2 patches, one to unlock 60 FPS (from 30FPS) and the other one to use DSR up to 720P (Instead of lock 480P) in portable mode. Why not using dock profile, because it is 720P lock with more effects and AA and that cant keep stable 60 FPS (with handheld max OC it actually can with Dock max OC).

*FPS diference is kind of hard to notice after enconding it on premiere. My original footage has 2 separates videos and was easier to see there.

Ok this is ridiculous. I'm thinking of grabbing an OLED now.

Thanks for posting these, super cool to see them

Why Nintendo doesn't allow users to make better use of OLED extra performance? It seems like something that would help OLED sell more and make people happy while waiting for the Drake. I have almost no knowledge of the differences between Switches , is ther any technical reason why they don't do it?

Why Nintendo doesn't allow users to make better use of OLED extra performance? It seems like something that would help OLED sell more and make people happy while waiting for the Drake. I have almost no knowledge of the differences between Switches , is ther any technical reason why they don't do it?
Nintendo doesn't care about the tech enthusiast market

Every Switch sold since 2019 can do what the OLED does, possibly even lites.

Whatever reason Nintendo had not to unlock more powerful modes, it wasn't technical.

There’s no technical reason in the sense that it is limited, you can only conclude: they just didn’t think it was worth it or they didn’t want to do it on that device.

It tends to not make sense in the short-term, but yes in the long-term.

Perhaps they didn’t want to undermine another product? Who knows?

It’s more of a wait and see approach. For example, the DSi changed the charger and was different from the DS, turns out that it could have been to start production of a new charger for the 3DS. Maybe that’s what’s going on here? I’m only speculating. Or perhaps they didn’t want to undermine the OG which the OLED would have been very supply constrained.

Also, thank a ton @PandaAndino for this, really appreciate it.

Nintendo doesn't care about the tech enthusiast market
This has nothing to do with the tech enthusiast market.

When Nintendo introduced the Mariko SoC, they made an explicit choice not to segment it at all from Erista Switches. Why they made this decision is unknown, but it likely comes down to them either somehow not being satisfied with the chip's performance or having some different ideas about where they wanted to go with their product strategy. There is some highly circumstantial evidence that the Mariko hybrid may not have been their first choice, but even that's a little shaky.

By the time Switch OLED released, Nintendo was already very committed to this decision, as evidenced by the cooling setup actually being a bit weaker than previous hybrid Switches.

Plenty of valid reasons why Nintendo didn't unlock other performance modes. There were heating issues on the earlier lithography processes, and running the system at those modes could ultimately have resulted in much shorter battery life, making the portability factor more impractical, if not redundant, or worse still, more product failures. There's also the fact that it would've been a developer's nightmare, as they would have had to target too many performance profiles.

Plenty of valid reasons why Nintendo didn't unlock other performance modes. There were heating issues on the earlier lithography processes, and running the system at those modes could ultimately have resulted in much shorter battery life, making the portability factor more impractical, if not redundant, or worse still, more product failures. There's also the fact that it would've been a developer's nightmare, as they would have had to target too many performance profiles.
A bit more work maybe, I doubt Nightmare. Every game that uses dynamic res would take care of themselves, as they do on home-brewed switches.

Likely to make Drake more attractive. Easier to upgrade from even an OLED model because there’s a big jump in performance with exclusives. If Mariko allowed for increased performance, the value proposition would be lessened. Devs would also have to make different games for three platforms with moderate jumps, whereas Drake has a big jump with new technology as well.

Every Switch sold since 2019 can do what the OLED does, possibly even lites.

Whatever reason Nintendo had not to unlock more powerful modes, it wasn't technical.

There’s no technical reason in the sense that it is limited, you can only conclude: they just didn’t think it was worth it or they didn’t want to do it on that device.

It tends to not make sense in the short-term, but yes in the long-term.

Perhaps they didn’t want to undermine another product? Who knows?

It’s more of a wait and see approach. For example, the DSi changed the charger and was different from the DS, turns out that it could have been to start production of a new charger for the 3DS. Maybe that’s what’s going on here? I’m only speculating. Or perhaps they didn’t want to undermine the OG which the OLED would have been very supply constrained.

Also, thank a ton @PandaAndino for this, really appreciate it.

This has nothing to do with the tech enthusiast market.

Likely to make Drake more attractive. Easier to upgrade from even an OLED model because there’s a big jump in performance with exclusives. If Mariko allowed for increased performance, the value proposition would be lessened. Devs would also have to make different games for three platforms with moderate jumps, whereas Drake has a big jump with new technology as well.

I really think nintendo is still on time to create a "Pro boost" mode in Mariko switches, battery life to OG switch levels but gaining a huge performance advantage. This is possible because alot of this patches can be implement like changes on memory (like cheats) so it can be turned on/off with a toggle button. Erista switches also can but them must be connected to Ac adaptader (is this true handheld, no for me) and runs very HOT. Mariko switches are actually pretty normal temperature with this OCs.

This doesn’t apply to Mariko though, that’s what we are referring to.

Mariko is significantly cooler and the OLED supports this, with a less efficient cooling solution.

And we see here in this thread information on how Mariko performs, it still stayed in a pretty safe zone.
I really think nintendo is still on time to create a "Pro boost" mode in Mariko switches, battery life to OG switch levels but gaining a huge performance advantage. This is possible because alot of this patches can be implement like changes on memory (like cheats) so it can be turned on/off with a toggle button. Erista switches also can but them must be connected to Ac adaptader (is this true handheld, no for me) and runs very HOT. Mariko switches are actually pretty normal temperature with this OCs.
I’m not so sure, i feel like if they intended it they would have also offered more RAM like say 6GB.

I’m not so sure, i feel like if they intended it they would have also offered more RAM like say 6GB.

This. And they would have done it a long time ago.

I do believe they did intend to at some point though. Because why else would they upgrade to LPDDRX?

A higher clocked switch needs all the bandwidth it can get, while Mariko switches do not really need slightly better battery life than they would have had with regular Lpddr.

If Nintendo was going to boost Mariko's clocks, they would have done so back when they originally introduced it. It's much too messy to do anything like that now that the systems are out there with insufficient differentiation between Erista and Mariko.

If Nintendo was going to boost Mariko's clocks, they would have done so back when they originally introduced it. It's much too messy to do anything like that now that the systems are out there with insufficient differentiation between Erista and Mariko.
Indeed,

Sufficed to say that Nintendo seems to have preferred battery improvements over another profile. I respect resisting implementing a feature that would lead older Switches to run software worse than newer models.

Third Video, this time is Wolfenstein 2 with 3 mode comparison. Stock vs OC 60FPS vs OC 30FPS Graphics Mode (All by a portable prespective). I dont want to spam this thread if anyone want to see other game with graphics mode/texture patches/ 60fps patches comparison let me know I will gratly make it.

what's the resolution on the OC modes? I'm guessing up to 720p adaptive on the 60fps.. what about 30fps? What's the difference..

what's the resolution on the OC modes? I'm guessing up to 720p adaptive on the 60fps.. what about 30fps? What's the difference..
There is alot of little details in the config file, here I post the diferences in a pastebin link so you can interprate the diferences.

30FPS Graphics Mode OC

60FPS Mode OC

Why don't they clock Switch higher only in docked mode? Games with dynamic resolution would benefit that.
Another profile means a lot more QA and potential bugs to fix and create expectations about optimization for the profile, in other words, it cost them (and 3rd parties) money. They probably concluded it wouldn't make enough extra money to compensate that.

Of course, they could just put a toggle behind a warning saying "use at your own risk" and don't bother checking if overclocking creates any issue, but that's not an elegant solution, plus it loses marketing power and regardless of warning people would still complain about any side-effect (like getting hotter or games crashing).

Of course, they could just put a toggle behind a warning saying "use at your own risk" and don't bother checking if overclocking creates any issue, but that's not an elegant solution, plus it loses marketing power and regardless of warning people would still complain about any side-effect (like getting hotter or games crashing).
Ofcourse they wouldn't have a mode like that unless they were sure the hardware could handle it, but I don't think Sony lost any marketing power by giving the ps4 pro a toggle with a warning.

This. And they would have done it a long time ago.

I do believe they did intend to at some point though. Because why else would they upgrade to LPDDR4X?

A higher clocked switch needs all the bandwidth it can get, while Mariko switches do not really need slightly better battery life than they would have had with regular Lpddr.
One possibility that's crossed my mind is that regular LPDDR4 may have stopped being produced either in 2019 or not too long later. The reason that I have that idea is that in the present, the only LPDDR4 that Samsung and Micron list in their catalogs are actually 4X, going by their speeds. So clearly at some point in the past, regular 4 stopped being offered. Tricky part is that I don't have the wayback machine skills to determine when.

I kind of miss back when investor meeting Q&As used to be incredibly dumb.
That one time someone asked a non-question of "I only have Nintendo stocks because they share my birth month and I don't understand video games" really got a good chuckle out of me

Ofcourse they wouldn't have a mode like that unless they were sure the hardware could handle it, but I don't think Sony lost any marketing power by giving the ps4 pro a toggle with a warning.
It's not that the toggle itself loses them marketing power, it's them not QAing, fixing and optimizing their games for the new profile which does.

If Sony and 3rd parties didn't bother with the new profile, and there was just the toggle, the Pro would have lost a lot of appeal.

It's not that the toggle itself loses them marketing power, it's them not QAing, fixing and optimizing their games for the new profile which does.

If Sony and 3rd parties didn't bother with the new profile, and there was just the toggle, the Pro would have lost a lot of appeal.
The ps4 pro was new hardware with devs expected to optimize their games for 4k panels using checkerboard and other techniques.

Mariko is exactly the same hardware, just it would be running faster. Homebrew have proved how effective this can be, with just editing a few config files. No changes to the code. Never seen any evidence that it has caused issues with games.

Probably would have been some extra work, but I doubt it would be that bad. Or I’m probably just out of touch with software development:

So are we now all waiting on the Nintendo Investor Meeting and hoping someone brings up new Hardware?
It’s more of waiting for their hardware forecast to shed some light on whether a new Switch model will release this fiscal year. I think that’s the closest we’ll get to official ‘news’ in May.

Third Video, this time is Wolfenstein 2 with 3 mode comparison. Stock vs OC 60FPS vs OC 30FPS Graphics Mode (All by a portable prespective). I dont want to spam this thread if anyone want to see other game with graphics mode/texture patches/ 60fps patches comparison let me know I will gratly make it.

I don’t mind! I think this offers good look into what could be, while also looking at what Nintendo could have done at what seems like no drawback but chose not to execute.

One possibility that's crossed my mind is that regular LPDDR4 may have stopped being produced either in 2019 or not too long later. The reason that I have that idea is that in the present, the only LPDDR4 that Samsung and Micron list in their catalogs are actually 4X, going by their speeds. So clearly at some point in the past, regular 4 stopped being offered. Tricky part is that I don't have the wayback machine skills to determine when.
Do we happen to know when LPDDR4X will reach EoL?

Mariko is exactly the same hardware, just it would be running faster. Homebrew have proved how effective this can be, with just editing a few config files. No changes to the code. Never seen any evidence that it has caused issues with games.
It doesn't means that it can't happen. Here's a game which crashes with clock increase, for example. There are other issues that enthusiasts may ignore like getting too hot or too loud or small glitches.

Probably would have been some extra work, but I doubt it would be that bad.
It's not about being too much work, it's about the returns.

Would Nintendo sell a lot more systems with such a move? No, because they're selling pretty much what they can make, they can always make another model when they can greatly surpass demand.

Would they sell a lot more Software? Chances are that the power bump wouldn't be big enough for a large part of the gamers who are skipping games due to performance be satisfied either. Plus, they can always target those users when they make a proper pro or successor model later.

The big benefit would be increasing users satisfaction with the platform (me included), but it took them 4~5 years to implement Bluetooth audio and folders, so non-essential and non-system-selling things are clearly not a top priority for them.

At the end, they probably expect better returns for putting their resources elsewhere, including having dev teams finalizing games and moving to the next faster.

thinking about when nintendo literally said "the Nintendo 3DS XL does not fucking exist at all and you would be a complete dipshit dumbass to think otherwise" and then announced the Nintendo 3DS XL like a week later

Please read this staff post before posting.

Furthermore, according to this follow-up post, all off-topic chat will be moderated.
Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom