• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

StarTopic Future Nintendo Hardware & Technology Speculation & Discussion |ST| (Read the staff posts before commenting!)

Some interesting details here about FSR2 and No Man's Sky.

The primary barrier to FSR2 on Switch was frame time and bandwidth costs. Hello Games customized the shaders used during upscaling to reduce their bandwidth cost (how? No clue).

They also integrated FSR2 and the rest of their post-processing passes together. This is one of the advantages of FSR being pure shader code, and open source. We've occasionally seen bugs when DLSS-SR is implemented (Monster Hunter Rise) because the game has integrated their AA/post-processing, and DLSS requires them to be untangled. Here you can see it in reverse, where FSR performance improved by being able to combine them.

Which is why this version of FSR2 won't appear anywhere else. To get the performance necessary they had to rebuild FSR2 to become a fully integrated part of their engine, and their game. Someone could feasibly take their reduced bandwidth efforts and use those as the basis of their own FSR2 rebuild, but what HG did here can't be extracted.

I mean, I'm in the 40+% of people it does make sense, and I STILL want VR!

The more you use it the less sick it makes you, too.
Yup. In Oculus Quest (I refuse to call it Meta) community, we call it "getting your VR legs" (like getting your sea legs).

There was also a weird period for about a month during the time I was playing on my new Quest 2 where words on computer screen looks like they're floaty or separating themselves from the screen. Pretty disorienting but today everything's normal. I can fly around in VR while standing in real world without losing my balance.

I'm not so sure about that. I'd give it about 6 weeks before making that assertion even if I think a March release is unlikely.

I’m extremely confident in my statements as to the release and reveal of this new platform. Happy to be bookmarked and anyone pick up with me if proven to be incorrect.

I’m extremely confident in my statements as to the release and reveal of this new platform. Happy to be bookmarked and anyone pick up with me if proven to be incorrect.
Why though? it's speculation, there'll always be those who speculated wrong, those who speculated right.

No reason to do victory laps or be upset one speculated wrong. (unless of course you're participating in avatar bet or something like that, which there's also a thread for)

The most important thing is we have Switch 2 in OUR HANDS! ❤️

Wow this thread really died down. How's everyone's Friday so far? To make it hardware related, what is one feature on the next Nintendo system you DON'T want Nintendo to incorporate and why?
VR with a 60hz panel

lowkey also don't want an 8 inch screen, oled type form factor is so perfect imo

Don’t have anything to add, but I was thinking about what really needs improvement in the overall Switch design and I’m curious how they might update the rails. They wear out over time and the Joy cons will start slipping out more easily over time. I wonder if they’ll opt for a whole new system and if that might play into whatever their new gimmick is. Like magnetic controllers that stick to the sides but can also stick to each other no longer needing an extra piece to combine them.

On that note, how far away is technology to allow wireless data transfer that could match HDMI video transfer speeds? e.g. an updated dock that worked more like a MagSafe dock so the Switch 2 would lock into the dock without needing to plug into anything. Maybe Switch 3… but seems like something Nintendo would pursue given both the 3DS and Wii U had docks that charged the systems without plugging anything into the systems themselves.

VR with a 60hz panel
For me I'd say VR outright. Don't incorporate that into base system please. I'm worried about system costs adding up, sacrificing something else.

If VR is offered, at least I hope it's sold as a separate, optional accessory (like RingFit).

VR is the hardcore gamer market that Nintendo don't focus that much on, not the casual audience that Nintendo usually prices their consoles towards. Hardcore gamers focus on graphics, VR etc, while Nintendo usually wants to sell consoles that are good value but not cutting edge in any way.
I wouldn't characterise VR as 'hardcore gamer market' given the increasing accessibility, affordability of it and development catered towards it, nor would I dismiss Nintendo property owners as 'casuals' given the amount of niche, indie and third-party offerings on top of the sheer amount of hours - hundreds if not thousands - that people on your NSO friend list have likely sunk into Splatoon, Pokémon, Zelda, Animal Crossing or Stardew Valley and Disney's Dreamlight Valley

One big benefit Nintendo already has are the detachable controllers with the console itself acting as a base station, they could probably very easily come out with a dedicated headset with camera control support rather than just a Switch-holder box to wear around your face

Wow this thread really died down. How's everyone's Friday so far? To make it hardware related, what is one feature on the next Nintendo system you DON'T want Nintendo to incorporate and why?

This thread has always been varied in its speed. When we get a fresh unload of news it would jump like 30 pages in a blink. When there's no news (as is the norm) you could have around a page a day, until recently... Personally I'd prefer if this thread wasn't so active when there is nothing new to talk about. Lately it's been so active (with basically nothing of substance being said) that we've had a huge uptick of posts just mentioning how far behind they are!

But you guys do you. When it's flying I go from reading to skimming. Here's hoping we get something meaty to actually talk about before the reveal happens in about 3 weeks ;)

It’s the deadest in a long time. We were getting consistent leaks for a while

We just got to spice things up on here! Who wants to invent some new rumors with me? Ha ha I only kid... enough YouTubers for that. ;)

Busy Friday, I'll be working late tonight. :(

Not much I don't want, as long as it's optional. I heavily dislike motion controls, e.g., due to my dyspraxia, and never use them, but it's perfectly fine if they're not forced. Great for those who like them etc. I guess if I had to pick something else from the line-up of old Nintendo features that I don't want to return, the (3)DS sensor that created the "having to blow into a microphone" gameplay feature in some games can be kept way back in the archives as far as I'm concerned. :D

Hey me too and on top of that I'm running on no sleep and all caffeine lol. I might even be crazy. I haven't found out yet. ;) I would say one feature I don't want to see return is dual screens. Don't get me wrong, the 3DS was a great handheld with a wonderful lineup of games but I also really like the more basic Switch design and of course hybrid console approach. What we have today is a great designed system (with a few flaws) and I'm hoping to see that trend continue with the successor. No weird third eyeball approach lol

VR with a 60hz panel

lowkey also don't want an 8 inch screen, oled type form factor is so perfect imo

Yikes yeah that would be a no go. I thought about VR. Having used high end VR systems, the tech is immensely awesome but I ended up selling my sets due to not having enough room space to really utilize them. I wouldn't want Nintendo VR unless the quality was "good". Problem is quality VR is still rather expensive though I am impressed with what Sony was able to produce at $550.

I support the future of VR so long as it's an option. Mandatory VR just wouldn't work with consumers. Also I don't think the Switch successor will embrace VR in any meaningful way anyways. I think they will continue with the hybrid approach and that the new "gimmick" will be something else. Maybe something control related.

This thread has always been varied in its speed. When we get a fresh unload of news it would jump like 30 pages in a blink. When there's no news (as is the norm) you could have around a page a day, until recently... Personally I'd prefer if this thread wasn't so active when there is nothing new to talk about. Lately it's been so active (with basically nothing of substance being said) that we've had a huge uptick of posts just mentioning how far behind they are!

But you guys do you. When it's flying I go from reading to skimming. Here's hoping we get something meaty to actually talk about before the reveal happens in about 3 weeks ;)

The spice must flow! All we need now is a record player and a record labeled, "Bath time serenade with Nate the Hate". Let that beautiful voice be heard!!! ;)

The augmented reality cam is so instead of trophies or game over screens, AI Miyamoto will appear in your general surroundings to give you the thumbs up and big smile or the thumbs down and scowl depending on how well you just cleared a level or how badly you just goofed

Talking point question for you guys. Do you think games moving to $70 influenced the potential power/architecture of this system? I would think third parties went to Nintendo and said, they can’t ask the consumers to pay $70 for the Nintendo version of their game with significantly downgraded visuals and missing features. Maybe they held Nintendo foot to the fire a bit and said you must produce a console capable of “X” capabilities, if you want ANY support from us. Just a thought🤷🏾‍♂️

I purchased quest3 for mixed reality.

Somehow I hope switch 2 will have vr and mixed reality too.
If they stream it, through a separate device, they could make it more cheaply

I'm kinda hoping that there'll be a way to transfer physical games to digital with the next system (or at least how PS5/XBX does it with disc installs). It would suck if they managed to make better game cards with faster loading speeds while original game cards are stuck with slower speeds.

Talking point question for you guys. Do you think games moving to $70 influenced the potential power/architecture of this system? I would think third parties went to Nintendo and said, they can’t ask the consumers to pay $70 for the Nintendo version of their game with significantly downgraded visuals and missing features. Maybe they held Nintendo foot to the fire a bit and said you must produce a console capable of “X” capabilities, if you want ANY support from us. Just a thought🤷🏾‍♂️

I don't think so. The "Switch tax" talking point from a few years ago implies that the lower capability of the Switch had no bearing on what third-parties could charge on it.

I understand people are now calling Mortal Kombat Switch "robbery" (very silly wording imo), but I think it's selling decently on the platform? Especially considering how compromised it is? Don't have the hard figures on that, though, so could be wrong.

until Nintendo or any developers find a way to make VR viable, in a way that when you use VR you dont feel ill/sick, VR will not be the future of gaming

Well sick, that depends if you create games where you need to move with the analog.

If you just need to look/walk around or jump from one place to another you have no issues. Especially with the new headsets having a high refresh rate.

Also in mixed reality I don't think it will even be a problem. Will have the quest3 soon, I'll test it.

No, they probably are not. Fire Emblem would have been announced at the September Direct if it were releasing soon. TTYD has no date and LM2 has the date of "summer" (so most likely not Q2 though possibly Q2)
What? All 3 could easily come out before June 2024, A Fire Emblem remake can have a short marketing cycle for a May release and LM2 and Paper Mario could easily come out in June. MP Remaster, Paper Mario: The Origami King and Mario vs. Donkey Kong shows Nintendo can do short marketing cycle.

no. hell, we're seeing $70 games on switch. one of which did exceptionally well

Talking point question for you guys. Do you think games moving to $70 influenced the potential power/architecture of this system?
Not really. Occam’s Razor: Nintendo had a target MSRP range and worked with Nvidia to create as powerful an SOC within that range (accounting for the other components, of course).

Nintendo seems fine with simply missing out on certain games. That said, I’m sure Nintendo met with third parties that subsequently asked for the world because they aren’t on the hook if Switch 2 stumbles. Nintendo has to parse through those requests and see what is even feasible. It didn’t get this far by allowing itself to be bullied by other companies.

What? All 3 could easily come out before June 2024, A Fire Emblem remake can have a short marketing cycle for a May release and LM2 and Paper Mario could easily come out in June. MP Remaster, Paper Mario: The Origami King and Mario vs. Donkey Kong shows Nintendo can do short marketing cycle.

Okay, but literally why would they not announce Fire Emblem in September if you think they'll have no Directs for a while?

There seems to be no benefit.

But lets assume that there is a significant impact on sales of the current system once the successor is announced, this only substantiates the theory that it makes sense for a short turn around from announcement to release. If Nintendo did want to target March 2024 release, then when do they make that initial announcement? Could Nintendo announce in January, showcase its games in February Direct and then release in March?
I think it could work. Doesn't seem any real reason they'd have to wait a month between announcement and a big showing, either. Something like January 12 teaser, January 19 big game showing, March 22 release would even put more time between the main showing and release than Switch had.
That doesn't seem convincing to me though.

This would mean the base Pokemon version, then the November 3 version (Pokemon + DLC, but not last DLC), and Nintendo is also going to release a 3rd version, Pokemon with all the DLC?

Seems very un-Nintendo-like to me but yes, I've seen that argument before. I'm just not convinced.
Nobody says they have to release a third physical version. Especially if they think holiday 2023 sales are going to be a much bigger deal than 2024+ for this generation of MK/Pokémon, it might be a "now or never" thing.
I don't think it will be for VR because a huge chuck of Nintendo gamers are children right? Plus VR stuff is expensive and not super accessible :)
I think Nintendo could do a cheap, accessible VR machine. But both due to costs and lack of a decade of prior work it would probably be pretty lacking compared to something like modern Quests. And wouldn't work well as a third mode for a hybrid device.
Is there a consensus on Switch 2's screen, 720p or 1080p? Would 1080p really be worth it with 7.91 (7.81?) inch screen?
1080p at that size would be just barely better DPI than Switch Lite.
If this machine was out in March it would be all over the place right now. All major outlets would have sources reporting on it since they wouldn’t be able to keep it quiet.
As of the end of September 2016 did we have a bunch of other stories about Switch, beyond Eurogamer's big form factor reveal from July?

Okay, but literally why would they not announce Fire Emblem in September if you think they'll have no Directs for a while?

There seems to be no benefit.
I didn't say they won't be a direct for a while lol. They going to keep up the normal direct (Feb,June/July) still.

TTYD cannot come out earlier than June.
LM2HD got a "Summer 2024" (May is not summer btw) while TTYD just got a generic "2024". If it was coming in June or earlier they would have said "Summer 2024" or "Spring 2024".
The fact that they gave a generic 2024 means it's probably not coming out before September 2024.
Also I think if LM2 was coming in June or earlier they would have just stated the date like they did for Mario vs. Donkey Kong and Peach Showtime instead of giving a generic Summer 2024.

Last edited:
Poor Sony. Only $1.8 Billion in profit.

295894.jpg
I've lost count of how many Simpsons memes I've seen on this board, let alone all of social media lol.

no. hell, we're seeing $70 games on switch. one of which did exceptionally well
That’s a first party game and one of the biggest brands in gaming history. I’m specifically talking third party games. If a game is released on the same release date as others but the switch version has significantly downgraded visuals and missing online multiplayer, why would a consumer pay 70 for it? Might as well go get the pc, or other console version and get a full experience.

I guess this is one of the reason why VR gaming will never really take off, hopefully Nintendo don't invest too much in that.
Will be interesting to see if Apple Vision fares any better.

Preliminary feedback from folks who got the demo indicated it handled things well, but we will see.

As of the end of September 2016 did we have a bunch of other stories about Switch, beyond Eurogamer's big form factor reveal from July?
Nope, the next proper report on the Switch after July was when Eurogamer/DF reported (semi-accurately) on the clock profiles in December, two months after the reveal.

If this machine was out in March it would be all over the place right now. All major outlets would have sources reporting on it since they wouldn’t be able to keep it quiet.

Eh I wouldn’t be so sure

No one knew details about Mario Wonder before the June direct. So you can replace Mario Wonder with anything else including Switch 2

Nintendo can keep it tight when they want.

Also you can be sure that as a press/media, you want to be on the good side of Nintendo and not leak stuff that might affect Nintendo marketing plans and piss them off

Unless there's a major technological breakthrough or change in the industry, I think Nintendo would rather return to some form of glasses-free 3D before any serious push into VR. There have been lots of advancements in that space recently:

That’s a first party game and one of the biggest brands in gaming history. I’m specifically talking third party games. If a game is released on the same release date as others but the switch version has significantly downgraded visuals and missing online multiplayer, why would a consumer pay 70 for it? Might as well go get the pc, or other console version and get a full experience.
I mean... were the third party games any cheaper on Wii, WiiU or Switch than the other consoles when they had downgraded visuals and/or missing any component of it?

Cause its portable.

This whole Switch generation, the Switch version of multiplats has usually cost as much as the others, if not more because they've been out longer and are already dropping.
I have never seen anyone who is young use VR or care about it. It’s mainly old people.

There’s got to be a stat somewhere.
I don't think it's entirely old fogies making things like Gorilla Tag a big deal.

I don't think third parties think like this... where you see a graphic downgrade linked to the console->portable transition, they see optimization and possibilities that don't exist on console/PC.

I think MK1 is $70, and that will probably do fine on Switch.

I don't think publishers will mind charging $70 because that price has no relationship to the quality of a game's technical components.

I guess this is one of the reason why VR gaming will never really take off, hopefully Nintendo don't invest too much in that.
IMO the problem is that too often the focus on VR is on making games that require actively standing up and moving around. The focus should be on games where the player can just sit down and relax while still using VR for both the visual immersion and potential control benefits of motion controls that use external sensors for precision & consistency. Plus people are a lot less likely to feel motion sickness if they are sitting down instead of moving around.

I would say one feature I don't want to see return is dual screens. Don't get me wrong, the 3DS was a great handheld with a wonderful lineup of games but I also really like the more basic Switch design and of course hybrid console approach. What we have today is a great designed system (with a few flaws) and I'm hoping to see that trend continue with the successor. No weird third eyeball approach lol

Honestly, I’d personally love a Switch DS, haha. But it’d not even be possible, unless they somehow managed to make a Wii U-esque pad included with the dock (or a detachable screen) and even if that was feasible, that’d be crazy expensive and a nightmare to develop games for. Still, one can dream!

Idk so many big channels and reveiwers on youtube saying to not buy it because of the terrible visual and performance on it. sales will def be effected.
I think anyone paying attention to that would probably be buying on PS5/XSX anyways. MK is a big name with many fans who don't religiously follow the industry.

I think MK1 is $70, and that will probably do fine on Switch.

I don't think publishers will mind charging $70 because that price has no relationship to the quality of a game's technical components.
Seems the negative reviews are having an effect because it's very quickly falling off the best sellers page on the e-shop.

Eh I wouldn’t be so sure

No one knew details about Mario Wonder before the June direct. So you can replace Mario Wonder with anything else including Switch 2

Nintendo can keep it tight when they want.

Also you can be sure that as a press/media, you want to be on the good side of Nintendo and not leak stuff that might affect Nintendo marketing plans and piss them off

Like I’ve said previously, we’ve been having this exact same discussion for several months now. It just goes round in a loop and you shift your view each time you’re not right.

You were telling me I was completely wrong when I said Switch 2 wouldn’t be revealed in July as you claimed. I even said I’d buy your Switch 2 if it did and you posted several celebratory gifs thinking your Switch 2 purchase was guaranteed.

I simply believe the loop will continue and history will again repeat itself.

• Early-ish 2024 reveal
  • May release at the earliest but possibly September-ish.

Comparing the Switch 1 reveal to the potential Switch 2 reveal to release timing is a REALLY bad idea because the Switch 1 had five launch games, one of which Nintendo had shown 3 hours of gameplay of nine months before the release of the Switch. After launch, there was not an original title released at retail for the Switch for 3 months. The only significant retail releases between launch and the Switch's first major exclusive after launch (Arms) were Mario Kart 8, Lego City Undercover, Disgaea 5, Puyo Puyo Tetris, and Collection of Mana (and SF2 sold at $40 lmao)

The Switch 2 should have a much more aggressive first three months, demanding probably a much earlier reveal. The launch titles probably haven't been revealed so they have to hype those up after reveal as well (whereas we knew what BotW was before the Switch reveal).

Remember... The Switch was the successor to the WiiU.

Please read this staff post before posting.

Furthermore, according to this follow-up post, all off-topic chat will be moderated.
Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom