• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

StarTopic Future Nintendo Hardware & Technology Speculation & Discussion |ST| (Read the staff posts before commenting!)

Part of the point of a codename is to be consistent shorthand for something which might have multiple and changing names depending on development and branding/marketing, so I dunno. And there does seem to be a one-to-one between T234/Orin and T239/Drake.
Yeah I agree it would be odd to change it and not the T239 part. Seems more likely Kopite got it wrong for whatever reason.

That screenshot is talking about a "NVN Windows implementation" no?
Yeah, NVN is an API which can be run on development hardware like PCs to develop Switch games.

At least that's how I understand that.

It’s really bizarre to me to see some people taking this news as confirmation of a 2024 release. I legitimately don’t understand how they are coming to that conclusion.

It’s really bizarre to me to see some people taking this news as confirmation of a 2024 release. I legitimately don’t understand how they are coming to that conclusion.
I buy late 2022-2023. 2024 feels too late if there have been devkits out already. It also just feels too late in general. It just feels like an overly cautious / pessimistic prediction. If we're getting a ton of comments nowadays about Switch hardware showing its age, imagine them in late 2023 and there's no a switch 2 yet.

Based on what we have now, do we have an idea of how powerful it will be in handeld before DLSS? Is between Xbox one and Ps4 possible?
Based on what we were told ~1.5 years ago I'd say it should be like ~75% of XB1 performance in handheld mode before DLSS.

Some other people here think it should be closer to PS4 level or above though. So we've got a fairly large range of opinions on it.

the Steam Deck can exceed the PS4 when not running at 1080p. which means, with DLSS, Dane/Drake can easily exceed the PS4
Yeah but IIRC Zombie and Alovon seem to think it'll be PS4 level in handheld mode without DLSS. I think that's very unlikely from what we know.

DLSS should also work in handheld mode? So could devs utilise the power of the Switch for everything but the graphical side and then DLSS do its thing to improve the quality of the images?
yea, it should work

Yeah but IIRC Zombie and Alovon seem to think it'll be PS4 level in handheld mode without DLSS. I think that's very unlikely from what we know.
we just got different expectations. using the SD as a benchmark, handheld would be below Xbox when power limited

DLSS should also work in handheld mode? So could devs utilise the power of the Switch for everything but the graphical side and then DLSS do its thing to improve the quality of the images?
Honestly at this stage we don't know. No mobile chip set has DLSS capability yet, we don't know what kind of power requirements it has at the level we're discussing for Drake.

It seems likely they'll want it active for handheld mode since Nintendo has been prioritizing total parity between game/graphical features in handheld and docked mode, but we don't know yet.

I never said that with certainty, I said with DLSS it should easily reach PS4 level in portable mode

Not „everything“ on the graphical side, DLSS just ups the resolution and frame rate, everything else needs to happen beforehand. But yes I don’t see why it shouldn’t work in Handheld mode. Depends on the screen though, if it stays at 720p maybe not a lot upscaling is needed

we just got different expectations. using the SD as a benchmark, handheld would be below Xbox when power limited
Yeah that's my point, we have a range of expectations in this thread. There's no consensus at the moment.
I never said that with certainty, I said with DLSS it should easily reach PS4 level in portable mode
Ah sorry, I misremembered then.

yea, it should work

The only problem with using the SD as the benchmark is that they are different GPU makers and Switch 4k’s GPU is purpose built mobile hardware while SD’s is mobile in the sense that it’s for laptops. Despite both being handhelds they are stilp apples to oranges, so sadly there are still to many unknowns. Either way I do think “handheld=somewhere around Xbox One, potentially lower, and docked=somewhere around Steam Deck, potentially higher” is a decent way to keep expectations in check.

The only problem with using the SD as the benchmark is that they are different GPU makers and Switch 4k’s GPU is purpose built mobile hardware while SD’s is mobile in the sense that it’s for laptops. Despite both being handhelds they are stilp apples to oranges, so sadly there are still to many unknowns. Either way I do think “handheld=somewhere around Xbox One, potentially lower, and docked=somewhere around Steam Deck, potentially higher” is a decent way to keep expectations in check.
while they are different, I think it's gonna be "lower on-paper spec" vs "OS compatibility inefficiencies" that will be the great equalizer. throw in ray tracing tho...

Techland has suspiciously "delayed" the cloud version of Dying Light 2 when there's absolutely no reason to do that. That can be a perfect launch title.
There's also the unreleased Cloud Version of Resident Evil 3 (and rumored Resident Evil 2 and Village Cloud Versions) and we all know how much Capcom loves to port RE games.

There could be numerous reasons for the delay which we have zero insight into.
That's why it's suspicious. If there are problems regarding its cloud performance it's Ubitus job not theirs. And that's unlikely as Ubitus continues to release games on Switch.

I won't be able to summarise what NateDrake and MVG said quickly since I'm starting my first day of work tomorrow after job searching for more than a year.

Congratulations! Going back to Spotify it said I didn't finish the episode in its entirety, but it'll be fun to go back to and review what's been confirmed since and what continues to simmer under the surface

markomaro also chipping in:

@Dakhil Best of luck to you!

Is this guy an insider?
Typically no, I think they're one of those people that tend to tweet a bunch of nonsense and go back to delete the tweets that didn't come true. That said, even if the Switch successor gets the prefix "Super" I wouldn't necessarily credit him with having insider knowledge.

Congrats Dakhil!

FarflungDirectAndeancat-max-1mb.gif

Haven't looked through hardly anything, but I did see that T239 has "sm_88" architecture in the compiler listed. GA10B (Orin) is sm_87 which I believe was already known.

Please read this staff post before posting.

Furthermore, according to this follow-up post, all off-topic chat will be moderated.
Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom