• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Furukawa Speaks! We discuss the announcement of the Nintendo Switch Successor and our June Direct Predictions on the new episode of the Famiboards Discussion Club! Check it out here!

StarTopic Future Nintendo Hardware & Technology Speculation & Discussion |ST| (New Staff Post, Please read)

So the source code for DLSS has leaked. And TechPowerUp's provided picture show files named "nvn_dlss_backend.h", "nvndlss.cpp", and "nvn_dlss.cpp", which is very interesting.

Also the fact that it's in a folder called "nvn2" is suggestive.

Could this leak potentially result in hacked Switch 2 day one off the bat?
Very unlikely. A hack on the new model would either require a hardware vulnerability (which even if it exists is unlikely to be documented by Nvidia, otherwise they would have fixed it) or a vulnerability in Nintendo's OS or bootloader, which won't be part of this, because obviously they're developed by Nintendo, not Nvidia.

I hope Dane specs gets leaked so we can end all dreams speculation and wishes. At least the number of CPU cores and GPU SMs.

Sadly, its bad if it is in this way.

We'll probably see more leaks after Dane has been taped out.
Well based on the Virtual Testing timings the odds of it being Taped out in Early February are actually high.

Also allegedly the hackers are holding Hardware info as further ransom so if they leak that, well, the jig is up likely

Well based on the Virtual Testing timings the odds of it being Taped out in Early February are actually high.

Also allegedly the hackers are holding Hardware info as further ransom so if they leak that, well, the jig is up likely
If taped out by early February ...this is likely gonna be a Holiday 22 release right ?

Not a fan of how some leaks were obtained but i wanna know if a new Switch is releasing this year before i spent the money on a Deck. So any kind of confirmation or legit news would be helpful.

If taped out by early February ...this is likely gonna be a Holiday 22 release right ?

Not a fan of how some leaks were obtained but i wanna know if a new Switch is releasing this year before i spent the money on a Deck. So any kind of confirmation or legit news would be helpful.
Well the only true confirmation would be Nintendo saying it in an Investor meeting or just announcing it proper.

But this does reaffirm the 2H 2022/1H 2023 window by a lot.

Also a Early Feb Tape-Out means that a Mid-Late August release is the earliest they could launch it I say

But I expect September or Later tbh

So... We thinking sucessor? Or "pro"? Or maybe an inbetween like an iterative thing? I agree on wanting to know if this will be a 2022 release. Seems unlikely but it is also weird it has been talked about since last year with very specific specs?

So... We thinking sucessor? Or "pro"? Or maybe an inbetween like an iterative thing? I agree on wanting to know if this will be a 2022 release. Seems unlikely but it is also weird it has been talked about since last year with very specific specs?
I mean you can call it a pro or whatever you want, but the hardware jump is easily enough for it to be a successor and then some.

How Nintendo markets the device remains to be seen.

I suspect that whatever Nintendo's SoC is will be more ambitious than Steam Deck in portable mode alone, then even higher performance in home mode. Steam Deck isn't all THAT impressive, but there is more noise about it from certain sections of the Internet because they were never truly content with the capabilities of the 2017 Switch.

Probably not very easily, assuming Nintendo and Nvidia designed Dane to not have any hardware exploits, unlike the Tegra X1 originally.

To be fair, nobody designs hardware with exploits on purpose. I know the X1/RCM/USB flaw was pretty egregious, but Nintendo clearly didn't know there was an un-patchable hardware exploit when they launched it. I'm sure they won't launch new hardware with known exploits, but it doesn't mean they're hackproof.

I mean you can call it a pro or whatever you want, but the hardware jump is easily enough for it to be a successor and then some.

How Nintendo markets the device remains to be seen.
Makes sense! I hope it is, at least, backwards compatible. When is the next Nintendo investors meeting? Do you think they would address something given the leak?

It 100% depends on how Nintendo markets it. Of which we have no clue whatsoever.

I suspect that whatever Nintendo's SoC is will be more ambitious than Steam Deck in portable mode alone, then even higher performance in home mode. Steam Deck isn't all THAT impressive, but there is more noise about it from certain sections of the Internet because they were never truly content with the capabilities of the 2017 Switch.
More ambitious how? There are limits to what you can expect from a portable device on 8nm, And SD probably exceeds those limits in many ways.

The follow-up tweet mentions T234/T239...but would be nice to share them, not just reference the references.

Well T239 is legit the codename.

And the Leak for NVN2/NVN-DLSS/The DLSS leak sort of corroborates all the leaks we got so far too pretty much, even the timing for Devkits as the leak implies Virtual testing for upwards of 2 years.

Well if anyone had any doubts about kopite's info, I'd say this clears that right up.

Could this leak potentially result in hacked Switch 2 day one off the bat?
Very unlikely. If there's a hardware or driver vulnerability, some of these files could potentially make it easier to find, but even if they find one, it's unlikely to be sufficient to get exploits running from day 1 barring another TX1-style nightmare scenario.
Definitely seems to be in successor territory, albeit probably not an entirely traditional one.

We be eating boys!
Now excuse me, I am going to try to find the DLSS files and dig through them to find more details (Maybe if NIS was integrated into the pipeline?)

@LiC yeah seems like T239 is explicitly referenced.
They should post the evidence then.

Ramble: Regarding that screenshot, it's not really clear what that means. I think it's been well established that the next Switch SoC is using Ampere, so I'm not questioning that, but the paragraph is talking about desktop GPUs and how accurate/compatible they are with the NVN implementation that actually exists on the Switch. One can make the inference that since they say Ampere GPUs are the most compatible, that means the NX implementation is also running on one, but the left side of the diff indicates this paragraph was originally the opposite: describing support for the reference implementation on newer desktop GPUs than the Maxwell one in the Switch. So it seems a bit odd that it would be rewritten -- rather than replaced/supplemented -- to describe the reference impl on an older desktop GPU versus the (presumable) newer Ampere one in the new Switch.

Edit: Thinking about it for a minute, maybe this isn't actually a diff in the leak, but rather a comparison someone made between some current NVN documentation and something new from the leak. So that would mean that the paragraph is a replacement and would make sense.

Last edited:
The data is from 2019? This could maybe mean that this product was considered for late 2020 / early 2021 and then it got pushed back because of Chip Shortages and better than expected Switch sales, so we got the OLED instead. I wonder if they will brand it as a Pro upgrade or if they will add a function or two and lean more to a 3DS to DS like successor.

I‘m still rather in the 2023 camp for new hardware because I believe in Patterns(™), but Nintendo is software-wise on fire this year, so maybe we can expect the same for hardware.

The data is from 2019? This could maybe mean that this product was considered for late 2020 / early 2021 and then it got pushed back because of Chip Shortages and better than expected Switch sales, so we got the OLED instead. I wonder if they will brand it as a Pro upgrade or if they will add a function or two and lean more to a 3DS to DS like successor.

I‘m still rather in the 2023 camp for new hardware because I believe in Patterns(™), but Nintendo is software-wise on fire this year, so maybe we can expect the same for hardware.
2019 isn't remotely too early to be working on documentation for something that's going to launch in 2022.

That screenshot is talking about a "NVN Windows implementation" no?
Yes, as a reference implementation -- meaning "not our actual trade secret code running on the Switch that we'll never let you see," but close enough that you can reference it as a development aid. The significance is that if they say the reference implementation is best run on an Ampere GPU for accuracy to the actual Switch implementation, that implies the Switch implementation is also on Ampere.

Where is 2019 coming from? The only date I see is February 21st, 2022 on all the files.

the-fresh-prince-of-bel-air-will-smith.gif

Drake is Tim Drake as in Robin, I guess? And either kopite7kimi was just wrong, or Black Knight was actually a convoluted game of telephone he played from Drake -> Robin -> Batman -> Dark Knight -> Black Knight -> Dane.

Imagining the Nvidia engineers who’ve been reading us refer to it as Dane for a year now…

I hate that new info came out this way, but at least it’s something pretty indisputable.

Drake is Tim Drake as in Robin, I guess? And either kopite7kimi was just wrong, or Black Knight was actually a convoluted game of telephone he played from Drake -> Robin -> Batman -> Dark Knight -> Black Knight -> Dane.
It could also have changed since last year, or been a code name for a different phase of the product.

Did kopite7kimi ever specifically call it Dane, or did he refer to it as "Black Knight" as a hint and leave it at that? Because there does appear to be a Black Knight villain named Malcolm Drake.. 👀

Did kopite7kimi ever specifically call it Dane, or did he refer to it as "Black Knight" as a hint and leave it at that? Because there does appear to be a Black Knight villain named Malcolm Drake.. 👀
Pretty sure he did refer to it explicitly as Dane a few times.

he did refer to it as Dane.

On another note, I guess we need a new thread. The “Denmark” pun doesn’t work anymore.

It could also have changed since last year, or been a code name for a different phase of the product.
Part of the point of a codename is to be consistent shorthand for something which might have multiple and changing names depending on development and branding/marketing, so I dunno. And there does seem to be a one-to-one between T234/Orin and T239/Drake.

Speaking of codenames, kopite7kimi stopped using Dane as the SoC name, and used T239 as the SoC name very recently.

Please read this new, consolidated staff post before posting.

Furthermore, according to this follow-up post, all off-topic chat will be moderated.
Last edited by a moderator:

Back
Top Bottom