• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

StarTopic Future Nintendo Hardware & Technology Speculation & Discussion |ST| (Read the staff posts before commenting!)

EDIT: I was wrong. User said a new Metroid 2D for Switch had been greenlit on January 2018. They said the game was new, and, obviously, on early stages of development. Haven't leaked anything (or even tried to) since then as far as I'm aware.

Thanks for confirming that Deez Nash is legit

They're the next best thing to Digital Foundry, so I trust them to not bullshit. The caveats are probably stuff we discussed here already though (cpu differences, storage speed, etc)
Agree.

It's its own system, with its own strengths and weaknesses that are different to PS4. It's also off course has a ton of architectural advantages to a device that came out in 2013.

is it possible to be so brazen about knowing that a dev kit is out there in spain? couldn’t their source be tracked down?
if there are very few devs with access in spain, it's possible. it's why more reputable leakers wait until they get multiple sources before coming out with articles

If this is true then I hope that potentially MercurySteam doesn't get slapped too hard around by Nintendo. Though, I wonder if one person leaking would be a problem for the whole company. That said I am now 50/50 on the [Redacted] being out early next year or late next year. I guess I will have a better idea after a potential Autumn Direct.

if there are very few devs with access in spain, it's possible. it's why more reputable leakers wait until they get multiple sources before coming out with articles
Yep. If only mercury steam has devkits, it's downright irresponsible to report about it. They should be relatively common, before its reported.

If this is true then I hope that potentially MercurySteam doesn't get slapped too hard around by Nintendo. Though, I wonder if one person leaking would be a problem for the whole company. That said I am now 50/50 on the [Redacted] being out early next year or late next year. I guess I will have a better idea after a potential Autumn Direct.
If the only studio in Spain with devkits is MS, you better believe Nintendo will strike down on them hard.

If there's a studio with devkits, it's either MS or Gameloft. Probably the former as there's high chances they're working on Metroid 6
Or, you know the "leak" is made up.
Could be. But given that we're in the 18 months lead to the system release, it's reasonable to think that devkits started being distributed or raw specs are mostly locked.

If Nintendo doesn't cancel the game.

Not kidding, if the leak is real and Nintendo traces it back to MS, they might.
depends on how far along the game is. the High Voltage stuff was super early and I don't think Nintendo even committed to greenlighting that if I remember correctly

If there's a studio with devkits, it's either MS or Gameloft. Probably the former as there's high chances they're working on Metroid 6

Could be. But given that we're in the 18 months lead to the system release, it's reasonable to think that devkits started being distributed or raw specs are mostly locked.
There are more studios like tequila, ubisoft, IOI, Activision, Saber, even EA!

If Nintendo doesn't cancel the game.

Not kidding, if the leak is real and Nintendo traces it back to MS, they might.
It depends how far along it is in development. It was also hard for Sakamoto to get a team and train it on how to make Metroid, so I guess they would get a slap in wrist anyway.
There are more studios like tequila, ubisoft, IOI, Activision, Saber, even EA!
Do these studios do games of their own or act as support studios? If the latter, I'd argue the chances of them having a devkit right now is very small.

It depends how far along it is in development. It was also hard for Sakamoto to get a team and train it on how to make Metroid, so I guess they would get a slap in wrist anyway.

Do these studios do games of their own or act as support studios? If the latter, I'd argue the chances of them having a devkit right now is very small.
Most manage their own projects.

For example, Tequila was the developer of RIME, song of nunu and gylt, and Saber spain is the main developer of all the playground series

Most manage their own projects.

For example, Tequila was the developer of RIME, song of nunu and gylt, and Saber spain is the main developer of all the playground series
Thank you! Had no idea. There's multiple studios from where this might come from them.

On the subject of Spain, there are also other sources (in the case of elanalistadebits, a reputable source) that seem to also know information about the development kit.

They're the next best thing to Digital Foundry, so I trust them to not bullshit. The caveats are probably stuff we discussed here already though (cpu differences, storage speed, etc)
Yep, they post a lot of comparison videos. They don't do the traditional analysis in the normal sense more of a show not tell method.

that tweet is interesting, basically saying what we are saying that what Kotick said about Nintendo Switch 2 is largely correct but lacks details (nuance), likely all the special features like DLSS which will make it much more powerful than the Gen8 comparison.

Last edited:
Our optimistic outlook for Drake is close to Series S performance, but its also very possible that it ends up being less than those estimates. Even if they are close though, and Drake is a 3 Tflop chip, from a publishers perspective, that puts it closer to PS4/X1 than PS5/X. You also have to consider the fact that Switch has two performance profiles and these developers will likely be more focused on the lower performance profile rather than the higher one, because the game needs to run good in that lower performance profile. So when they look at how much performance they have to get the game running on Redated, it may make sense to more closely align it with PS4/X1 because that is very close to the performance it will have in portable mode.
Well, even if you consider PS4/X1 as a broader term including Ps4 Pro and One X, the comparison, from the publisher's perspecitve, still applies.
A 3TF chip is close to a Ps4 Pro and 3TF chip downclocked for handheld mode is close to a Ps4.

I'm just looking at games like Luigi's Mansion 3, Xenoblade 3, SMRPG remake, Metroid Prime Remastered, even Breath of the Wild/Tears of the Kingdom and think to myself "man, if Nintendo has PS4-level fidelity, the rest of the industry is just doomed right?"
That's what I thought about HD graphics when the Wii U came out and... well we all know.
But yeah, this next graphical leap will be CRAZY

remember when people thought Mario Kart on wii U would have looked like this?

800px-rosalina_mkagpdx.jpg

times-cosmo.gif

Every time I hear Nate and MVG claim the next system won't have BC, I die more and more on the inside.
They aren't claiming they are just speculating. There will probably be BC in some form, best not to worry about it

Our optimistic outlook for Drake is close to Series S performance, but its also very possible that it ends up being less than those estimates. Even if they are close though, and Drake is a 3 Tflop chip, from a publishers perspective, that puts it closer to PS4/X1 than PS5/X. You also have to consider the fact that Switch has two performance profiles and these developers will likely be more focused on the lower performance profile rather than the higher one, because the game needs to run good in that lower performance profile. So when they look at how much performance they have to get the game running on Redated, it may make sense to more closely align it with PS4/X1 because that is very close to the performance it will have in portable mode.
Switch has 0.329tflops
Steamdesk 1.6tflops
Ps4 1.68
Ps4 pro 4 tflops still not that remarkable difference.

Ps5 10 tflops

I think with 3 tflops it will be a hugh difference, especially on a switch screen. You have raytracing dlss 3.0 maybe. It could make it close to next gen. It can do magic

When asked whether the Xenoblade games would run at 1080p/60fps

Definitely alludes to DLSS.

Even at docked, a PS4+ performance (lets say 2TFlops GPU with more modern features) should be possible to run Xeno 1/2/3 at 1080p. Its a +x5 times increase of power.

If we are talking about 4k, ok, that would require DLSS.

Unless he is talking about portable mode where maybe it would be needed.

Although I think this is simple example and we shouldn’t take any conclusions to it. More over, if devkits are out, its a matter of few weeks/months to start getting some info about specs gap.

But if the few whispers we hearing are true, Switch 2 should be a machine capable of rendering (with DLSS) PS4 tier games at 4k resolution. Just like Switch 1 is capable of running X360/PS3/WiiU tier games at 1080p.

Last edited:
Every time I hear Nate and MVG claim the next system won't have BC, I die more and more on the inside.
That's not the impression I got from their last podcast. I heard MVG currently thinking patches were the most likely solution, but still referring back to his own earlier video where he said BC was not easy, but there were 2 or 3 possible solutions to it.

I'm just looking at games like Luigi's Mansion 3, Xenoblade 3, SMRPG remake, Metroid Prime Remastered, even Breath of the Wild/Tears of the Kingdom and think to myself "man, if Nintendo has PS4-level fidelity, the rest of the industry is just doomed right?"
I'd still put it beyond PS4 due to the many advantages and improvements we know over its architecture. Drake is likely to end up as the futureproof base PS4 we never got for some reason back in 2013. With solid state storage, good CPU and actual raytracing support it's basically the PS4 we should've have gotten in 2013, straight up really lol.

Switch has 0.329tflops
Steamdesk 1.6tflops
Ps4 1.68
Ps4 pro 4 tflops still not that remarkable difference.

Ps5 10 tflops

I think with 3 tflops it will be a hugh difference, especially on a switch screen. You have raytracing dlss 3.0 maybe. It could make it close to next gen. It can do magic
Minor correction:

Switch is 0.157-0.196TFLOPs, and a potential 0.236TFLOPS in portable mode.
Docked it can reach 0.393TFLOPS

PS4 is 1.84TFLOPs

PS4 Pro is 4.2 TFLOPS

And PS5 is 10.28TFLOPS most of the time.

I'd still put it beyond PS4 due to the many advantages and improvements we know over its architecture. Drake is likely to end up as the futureproof base PS4 we never got for some reason back in 2013. With solid state storage, good CPU and actual raytracing support it's basically the PS4 we should've have gotten in 2013, straight up really lol.
Honestly in terms of gaming, early 2010s was just dire. People were trying to gas up mobile games and the Ouya, "this is the last generation of consoles", all sorts of nonsense that immediately got proven wrong when the Switch launched and THEN 8th gen actually started for real.

Late 7th gen to early 8th gen was the most anti-hype I had ever been with gaming. Just absolutely mid until the Switch came out and everyone woke up (except Microsoft).

So with all that, not shocking 8th gen wasn't as much of a leap forward as it should have but whatever. We've recovered from the Dark Ages.

Honestly in terms of gaming, early 2010s was just dire. People were trying to gas up mobile games and the Ouya, "this is the last generation of consoles", all sorts of nonsense that immediately got proven wrong when the Switch launched and THEN 8th gen actually started for real.

Late 7th gen to early 8th gen was the most anti-hype I had ever been with gaming. Just absolutely mid until the Switch came out and everyone woke up (except Microsoft).

So with all that, not shocking 8th gen wasn't as much of a leap forward as it should have but whatever. We've recovered from the Dark Ages.
Not just in terms of games either, the 8th gen all around was a very disappointing jump in power despite the undoubtly prettier games we got. NOTHING was remotely close to being cutting edge in those consoles, even the hard drives were limited to SATA2 speeds because they couldn't get a SATA3 controller in time. The CPUs were outright taken from a line of tablets because AMD messed up their Phenom/FX lineup with heat and power usage, and the GPU we got was actually quite weak considering the GTX 750 ti was already beating it at release. 8th gen sucked period, but our fellow devs still put it to work as always.

Minor correction:

Switch is 0.157-0.196TFLOPs, and a potential 0.236TFLOPS in portable mode.
Docked it can reach 0.393TFLOPS

PS4 is 1.84TFLOPs

PS4 Pro is 4.2 TFLOPS

And PS5 is 10.28TFLOPS most of the time.
Yeah, although in the case of Switch VS XBO/PS4, a Switch TFLOP seemingly can do more than the XBO/PS4's. (Reason why some Switch titles can get startlingly close to XBO, at least CPU and Memory limits considered. Note this isn't saying that 400GFLOPs in Switch = 1.3 GCN1 TFLOPs in XBO. The equivalence would be a bit behind the XBO. But stil)

Now if that would be the case for Ampere vs RDNA2. Not so sure as we don't really have a Desktop RDNA2 card without Infinity Cache to compare against Desktop Ampere, which skews data. And not to mention Switch 2/Drake may have access to more Cache than Desktop Ampere (proportionally to the GPU size) thanks to how Tegras can access CPU Cache, and also the potential presence of a System-level Cache.

You are not kidding. 2013 was a great year for gaming, but 2012, 2014, and 2015 were just pretty poor years in general.

why am i making myself believe that they’re gonna give us a foldable screen so we get some dual screen monstrosity. can someone please talk me out of this fallacy.

I don't think a foldable screen is a good idea, if a good portion of your audience are kids. ;)

Is this tech kidproof enough?

Overall, Gen 8 games are still some of my favorite games ever despite everything, but almost every AAA game could've been better if AMD didn't fumble its technology offerings so bad. Thank god Zen 2 and RDNA2 was already here for the time of next gen, although they did fumble their raytracing in there.

Please read this staff post before posting.

Furthermore, according to this follow-up post, all off-topic chat will be moderated.
Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom