• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

StarTopic Future Nintendo Hardware & Technology Speculation & Discussion |ST| (New Staff Post, Please read)

I know this guy. He said golden sun will be in 2020, donkey kong in 2019, nintendo selects in 2021, etc etc etc (there are a lot of etc, trust me). If you shoot 600 times, one of those bullets will hit the target, but it doesn't make you an insider.

We shouldnt give relevance to people who want it and dont deserve it.
It's very possible he does have good info from one particular source (Mercury Steam in this case) but bad info from other sources. Considering this supposed leak is also about Mercury Steam it may be worth our attention.

Many of those games also bombed and Nintendo learned from that experience. They thought the 3DS base would buy said releases vs the reality of interest being near non-existent. While there will naturally be some releases for Switch after Switch 2 introduction, the cross-over period may be significantly shorter than what we saw with the 3DS & Switch.
Well, of course. They were on the 3DS only. There was nothing like a 3DS to a bigger new DS that kept them relevant where it can be released for both.

This would be different as it’s a switch and it’ll be a switch-next that has compatibility, meaning it remains relevant even for the old people and the new people.

And it’s not like the 3DS was some hallmark of pushing software by a lot. It sold significantly less software than the predecessor. One in that it didn’t have many large titles of note, and two because it never fully recovered from its rocky start to perfectly deliver from its predecessor especially in North America. Cost it a lot.

Last edited:
I know this guy. He said golden sun will be in 2020, donkey kong in 2019, nintendo selects in 2021, etc etc etc (there are a lot of etc, trust me). If you shoot 600 times, one of those bullets will hit the target, but it doesn't make you an insider.

Mind posting sources ?

Honestly, I don't think current carts are an issue full stop.

The major ways to improve Game Card read speeds have nothing to do with how a Game Card is manufactured or wired and everything to do with the controller and CPU access. Right now the biggest bottleneck is CPU speed. That seems like it'll be more or less squared away. Say we add dedicated decompression on top of that. Now our speeds are more or less doubling or so. Next, what really speeds up a Game Card? The Game Card controller! That's in the console, not the Game Card. So if they want faster speeds, they can do that console side, no Game Card changes necessary. What could even realistically be improved with a Game Card? They could... Add more pins? Double the bandwidth maybe? But a faster controller could make that process cheaper by offloading it to the console, while changing the Game Cards electronically would mean you couldn't have cross-gen Game Cards. If there's one thing I'm nearly certain about, there will be cross gen Game Cards, because there have ALWAYS been cross gen games on Nintendo handhelds, from Shantae to Pokémon Black and White 2.

How do I expect Game Cards to differ physically then?

I don't. They probably won't. They're fine. They're not a limiting factor. They're loved by many people, myself not included, but I understand why.

They will probably have the new console's logo on the sticker, and if they're next gen exclusives, pop up an error message on older consoles. Just like New 3DS and DSi games being plugged in to a 3DS or DS Lite.
The gamecard and controller goes hand in hand though. You can't expect an old tech to get faster than what it is designed for just because it got a more modern controller.

Also means that 2023 is very unlikely if Mercury Steam, who we can safely assume is working on another metroid game, is only just now getting a switch 2 dev kit.

Not to defend Pablo's low-quality posts, but devs don't necessarily need to have a devkit to get a game running.
One way it's done in the absence of a devkit is that the dev makes the game on a PC limiting themselves to a certain specs range, and once they get the devkit they "port" the game and adjust/optimize the code to what the console is capable of.

I've read multiple dev interviews in the past where they stated that's how they start making a game before having a devkit.

With how costly internal flash memory is, I don’t know if they’ll go the all-digital route like that and release a model without a cartridge port. What will probably happen is that they’ll keep releasing all their games in physical form, but they’ll be more expensive to offset the costs of bigger cartridges.
Not every game has to be greater than 8gb. With compression, games like final fantasy xvi can halve in size.

The gamecard and controller goes hand in hand though. You can't expect an old tech to get faster than what it is designed for just because it got a more modern controller.
Not exactly. Game Cards aren't even circuits unto themselves. They're basically just flash memory chips in a plastic case with that chip completely exposed to the system. In broad strokes, most of the advancement of solid state storage speed has been better, faster controllers, with the memory not changing nearly as much. You can get two SSDs with different controllers but memory chips from the same company off the same production line and get different results.

I'm not saying the EXACT same Game Cards, per se, newer Game Cards would have to be made with the new controller in mind, probably, to take advantage of those higher speeds, but that doesn't mean Nintendo has to change the base technology of the Game Card.

Not to defend Pablo's low-quality posts, but devs don't necessarily need to have a devkit to get a game running.
One way it's done in the absence of a devkit is that the dev makes the game on a PC limiting themselves to a certain specs range, and once they get the devkit they "port" the game and adjust/optimize the code to what the console is capable of.

I've read multiple dev interviews in the past where they stated that's how they start making a game before having a devkit.
That's not very nice. The last few pages have been full of ad-hominem attacks (against a few individuals or insiders). Only thing one will get with these is ppl will stop posting, insiders will stop sharing and all. Would be too bad, as collectively we all benefit from ppl sharing knowledge (some of the tech discussions are fascinating, and talk here is much more sophisticated in general than any other forum I follow).
And the thread was very good at forming an informed view on what is likely to happen.
Edit: maybe there is some inside joke going between you two and you're just teasing eachother. If that's the case then my apologies.

Last edited:
Not sure, but Nash Weedle was definitely not the first Dread leaker.

I remember someone back in the old site already knew about it, back in 2016. They were the same person who first hinted Samus Returns too.

Here:

It's funny looking at those old rumors. There was a time when people laughed at the thought that the Switch would get games like Fortnite and Witcher 3.

Well, of course. They were on the 3DS only. There was nothing like a 3DS to a bigger new DS that kept them relevant where it can be released for both.

This would be different as it’s a switch and it’ll be a switch-next that has compatibility, meaning it remains relevant even for the old people and the new people.

And it’s not like the 3DS was some hallmark of pushing software by a lot. It significantly less software than the predecessor. One in that it didn’t have many large titles of note, and two because it never fully recovered from its rocky start to perfectly deliver from its predecessor especially in North America. Cost it a lot.

I agree.

People that were very active on their 3DS probably switched right away. People who intended to get the Switch later probably wouldn't get hyped for 3DS games, specially when BotW, Odyssey, Splatoon 2, Skyrim on the go, etc were already out. That's where their hype was.

Now, assuming full backwards compatibility, which I think is very reasonable, they may keep buying games knowing they'll carry over to the new system.

By the time the Switch 2 releases, OG Switch may be sitting on a 150M+ install base. Even if next-gen is as successful, it will take maybe 3 years to even reach 50M. 3/4 of Nintendo's output are ports and double-As that don't need next-gen and would sell quite well to the current audience.

In the end, Nintendo will decide based on data. If there's a sharp decline in sales and engagement on OG Switch, they will shorten the cross-generation period. If the Switch 2 is struggling is take on and Switch users are still very active, they'll keep printing money.

I 99% expect WarioWare: Gimme the Money to release on OG Switch in 2-3 years.
Did I mention Just Dance 2026?

This!

Any worthy launch exclusive would take 5 years to develop.
They'd get the devkit in the last year or so.

I believe in Summer 2024, with announcing or at least mentioning it this year.
My informed speculation is that I’ll then hopefully have enough money to buy a new console.

I think if we talk about new original game release, I can see FY2024/25 will final Switch year of original new games (comercially speaking...) like Donkey Kong, Metroid Prime 4, 2D Zelda, Pokémon RPG, Tomadachi, etc

Then surely that Nintendo will continue releasing Gamecube/Wii/3DS remasters/remakes through this FY to foward. Titles like LM1, Mario Sunshine, F-Zero GX, Paper Mario TTYD, Kirby Air Ride, Metroid Prime 2/3, Zelda WW/TP, Mario Galaxy 1/2, DKC Returns, NSMBWii, Kirby Epic Yarn, Punch Out, Kid Icarus Uprising, Zelda ALBW, Mario 3D Land, Metroid Samus Returns. They can dropped like 3-5 those titles each FY.

And then full ground from zero remakes like Super Mario RPG or rumoured FE4 can possible be cross-gen for this to next FY.

But as I said, I think FY2024/25 will be the last one with mayor new original releases, then FY2025/26 and foward Switch 1 will only receive remasters/remakes from NGC, Wii and/or 3DS.

Last edited:

Which is currently being done at some studios.

Last edited:
I thought of something better than #team2024
hqdefault.jpg

#team2025

Why are we thinking Drake cartridges are different? They can improve density and speed at the same physical size
The issue there is that Macronix will need to change the process node that they’re manufactured on. And Macronix was promising that to Nintendo since pre-COVID with constant delays (earliest delivery date on the mythic 64GB Game Card chip was mid-2019 and none have materialized in the past 4 years). Unless that’s finally changed, the likelihood is that they may have signed with another partner. The internals of the Game Cards changing, however, is less material than changes to the controller and pin-out, which can be accommodated to permit BC at a hardware level.
Honestly, I don't think current carts are an issue full stop.

The major ways to improve Game Card read speeds have nothing to do with how a Game Card is manufactured or wired and everything to do with the controller and CPU access. Right now the biggest bottleneck is CPU speed. That seems like it'll be more or less squared away. Say we add dedicated decompression on top of that. Now our speeds are more or less doubling or so. Next, what really speeds up a Game Card? The Game Card controller! That's in the console, not the Game Card. So if they want faster speeds, they can do that console side, no Game Card changes necessary. What could even realistically be improved with a Game Card? They could... Add more pins? Double the bandwidth maybe? But a faster controller could make that process cheaper by offloading it to the console, while changing the Game Cards electronically would mean you couldn't have cross-gen Game Cards. If there's one thing I'm nearly certain about, there will be cross gen Game Cards, because there have ALWAYS been cross gen games on Nintendo handhelds, from Shantae to Pokémon Black and White 2.

How do I expect Game Cards to differ physically then?

I don't. They probably won't. They're fine. They're not a limiting factor. They're loved by many people, myself not included, but I understand why.

They will probably have the new console's logo on the sticker, and if they're next gen exclusives, pop up an error message on older consoles. Just like New 3DS and DSi games being plugged in to a 3DS or DS Lite.
Indeed. The theoretical read speed of most ROM chips is unbelievably fast, so long as you have a bus and pin connections to transmit the data and a short distance for the data to pass. You could read the entire Game Card’s worth of data in a matter of less than 10 seconds, so long as you have an adequate amount of metal contacts and a wider bus to transmit bits out of the ROM chip. But there are, of course, energy usage and physical restrictions to consider there that will mean it’s unlikely a commercial device could ever reach a ROM’s theoretical read speed. But I can confirm that Switch‘s Game Card controller, the I/O and bus speed have not come close to hitting the upper limit there.

Where I disagree is that physical size does not matter. These chips are constructed on a planar process node, which means there are physical limits to density without a smaller node. Which Macronix has been unable to provide to Nintendo for some time now.
I wonder if it’s that it’s still early, or if they tightened up the ship re:leaks. I don’t think folks can rule out “Nintendo has figured out how to get people to stop leaking” as a reason for why we haven’t heard much yet.
Yeah, absence of evidence etc etc.

EDIT: Additionally, with a likely similar form factor, we could be looking at a “hiding in plain sight” scenario that makes leaks more challenging to provide.
See above.

Last edited:
So has there been anything to completely shut down the Weedle guy leak. Posts started going pretty fast after that.

Quoted by: D36
The issue there is that Macronix will need to change the process node that they’re manufactured on. And Macronix was promising that to Nintendo since pre-COVID with constant delays (earliest delivery date on the mythic 64GB Game Card chip was mid-2019 and none have materialized in the past 4 years). Unless that’s finally changed, the likelihood is that they may have signed with another partner. The internals of the Game Cards changing, however, is less material than changes to the controller and pin-out, which can be accommodated to permit BC at a hardware level.

Indeed. The theoretical read speed of most ROM chips is unbelievably fast, so long as you have a bus and pin connections to transmit the data and a short distance for the data to pass. You could read the entire Game Card’s worth of data in a matter of less than 10 seconds, so long as you have an adequate amount of metal contacts and a wider bus to transmit bits out of the ROM chip. But there are, of course, energy usage and physical restrictions to consider there that will mean it’s unlikely a commercial device could ever reach a ROM’s theoretical read speed. But I can confirm that Switch‘s Game Card controller, the I/O and bus speed have not come close to hitting the upper limit there.

Where I disagree is that physical size does not matter. These chips are constructed on a planar process node, which means there are physical limits to density without a smaller node. Which Macronix has been unable to provide to Nintendo for some time now.

Yeah, absence of evidence etc etc.

See above.
Out of curiosity, wasn't there a patent talking about a chip on-board that simply decompressed data? Wouldn't that negate the need for 64GB carts?

Out of curiosity, wasn't there a patent talking about a chip on-board that simply decompressed data? Wouldn't that negate the need for 64GB carts?
no. the decompression block on the SoC decompresses data that's streamed from storage (onboard or the game card) so the CPU/GPU doesn't have to do it. the data is already compressed on the game card

So has there been anything to completely shut down the Weedle guy leak. Posts started going pretty fast after that.
This might help.

Which is currently being done at some studios.
I assume that the studios that aren't doing that, then they are probably not currently planning on making original games for the Switch 2? They are probably going to wait for the devkit and then start quick-porting their already released software and maybe they'll eventually make an original game.

There is a difference between how active the bases were between the EOL 3DS & EOL Switch. We can see this disparity currently in last & this year’s software numbers. If the machine is BC, I think those games would get a Switch 2 release anyway, then I don’t see the same fate as 2017-2019 3DS software.

I think if we talk about new original game release, I can see FY2024/25 will final Switch year of original new games (comercially speaking...) like Donkey Kong, Metroid Prime 4, 2D Zelda, Pokémon RPG, Tomadachi, etc

Then surely that Nintendo will continue releasing Gamecube/Wii/3DS remasters/remakes through this FY to foward. Titles like LM1, Mario Sunshine, F-Zero GX, Paper Mario TTYD, Kirby Air Ride, Metroid Prime 2/3, Zelda WW/TP, Mario Galaxy 1/2, DKC Returns, NSMBWii, Kirby Epic Yarn, Punch Out, Kid Icarus Uprising, Zelda ALBW, Mario 3D Land, Metroid Samus Returns. They can dropped like 3-5 those titles each FY.

And then full ground from zero remakes like Super Mario RPG or rumoured FE4 can possible be cross-gen for this to next FY.

But as I said, I think FY2024/25 will be the last one with mayor new original releases, then FY2025/26 and foward Switch 1 will only receive remasters/remakes from NGC, Wii and/or 3DS.

(I'm repeating myself, I know, but I think it's an important point).

Nintendo is a forward-looking company. They know major titles take 5-6 years to develop, significant titles take 3-4 years, AA titles take 2-3 years and ports/remasters take 1-2 years.

They've been releasing a dozen games every year. Some years are better than others, but they always have something significant to release.

They already have a dozen games in development that is releasing next year, another dozen or so that is releasing in 2025, and a bunch that are releasing later. They will develop or commission ports and AA cash-grabs as needed to fill each yearly calendar. They are even known to hold onto finished games waiting for a convenient spot.

And they know that major titles, (BotW, TotK, Mario Kart, Odyssey, Smash, some ports, etc) are the only ones able to move a significant number of hardware. They have those sparsely scheduled and were commissioned a long time ago.

They probably have 30+ games is development right now!
A couple of those may even be targeting a Switch 3 at this point.

With Nintendo's output, it doesn't really matter when a new generation is releasing in terms of software.
They may shift a few titles around, maybe wait a couple of months, but it will always be very appealing and the following months or years will also be very appealing.

They won't launch the Switch 2 with 50 exclusives. There will be one, only one, and a minor title such 2-3 Switch with a donkey guy, maybe third-party ports.
Then release another exclusive 3-6 months later to reinvigorate demand and maximize each game's sales.
And so on.

Nintendo may still be overly relying on ports and cash-grabs, but they're playing chess and looking forward a decade..

Last edited:
They probably have 30+ games is development right now!

Now that I think about it, Nintendo is know for not only sitting on games until an appropriate time, but also cancelling games out right.

They must have a buffer of shovel games they can safely release (Oracles, WW/TP, F.Zero, etc) and their investment in the future will go up or down according to the size of that buffer.

If they're regularly cancelling games, instead of 30+ games in development right now, they may have 40+ to account for experiments gone wrong.

Last edited:
Many of those games also bombed and Nintendo learned from that experience. They thought the 3DS base would buy said releases vs the reality of interest being near non-existent. While there will naturally be some releases for Switch after Switch 2 introduction, the cross-over period may be significantly shorter than what we saw with the 3DS & Switch.
i think they bombed because interest shifted to the Switch as a result of imcompatability in software.

If the Switch 2 not only have BC but it's implemented similar to PS5/ Series X/S BC where it's basically the same user experience under the shared account and purchases carry over and old Switch games work, and new cross-gen releases run on both, with the new hardware obviously running it better, then there could be the longer tail Nintendo wanted on the 3DS but never got.

There's not an insignifcant number of heavy users who may stay with old Switch for another 6-12 months while stock availability works itself out or they save money. They may just make those purchases on old Switch safe in knowing they can transfer them over to new hardware latrer. These would be sales Nintendo wouldn't get otherwise previously.

Last edited:
:eek:

You bought a fake plant from Ikea?
You know that Fake Plant 2.0 is being announced this year, right?

ETA: I have a few of those ;)
These ones are from a local furniture store, I think. There’s one my BF has that’s from Amazon!

Traitor......
Ahahahhaha xD All that’s left is #TeamMarch Vs #TeamHoliday :p

Can’t blame them. I almost caved for both this one and the Splatoon 3 one despite thinking that the new system could be right around the corner.
The Pokemon one, personally, is the best looking. I just like Zelda a lot. Plus I wanna get that themed Pro controller.

Now that I think about it, Nintendo is know for not only sitting on games until an appropriate time, but also cancelling games out right.

They must have a buffer of shovel games they can safely release (Oracles, WW/TP, F.Zero, etc) and their investment in the future will go up or down according to the size of that buffer.

If they're regularly cancelling games, instead of 30+ games in development right now, they may have 40+ to account for experiments gone wrong.
My sentiments exactly. Nintendo, I presume, has a backlog of finished softwares they’re sitting on.

RACCOON

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!

Take care of yourself, fam.
What happened? 😳

Quoted by: D36
I assume that the studios that aren't doing that, then they are probably not currently planning on making original games for the Switch 2? They are probably going to wait for the devkit and then start quick-porting their already released software and maybe they'll eventually make an original game.

Obviously cannot speak for the industry as a whole. Some have expressed interest in supporting the unannounced hardware but it is on Nintendo to provide any sense of guidance in terms of timing or spec range. It's a matter of how forthcoming Nintendo is with them with details in lieu of early kit access.

i think they bombed because interest shifted to the Switch as a result of imcompatability in software.

If the Switch 2 not only have BC but it's implemented similar to PS5/ Series X/S BC where it's basically the same user experience under the shared account and purchases carry over and old Switch games work, and new cross-gen releases run on both, with the new hardware obviously running it better, then there could be the longer tail Nintendo wanted on the 3DS but never got.

There's not an insignifcant number of heavy users who may stay with old Switch for another 6-12 months while stock availability works itself out or they save money. They may just make those purchases on old Switch safe in knowing they can transfer them over to new hardware latrer. These would be sales Nintendo wouldn't get otherwise previously.
IF is the big question mark. If it has full BC support then the transition period of releases may differ from prior generations. Even if there is an outright lack of BC in some form, odds still favor Nintendo supporting Switch in some fashion well into 2025. And we don't need to revisit the eternal debate of whether there will or won't be BC support. We are obviously talking hypothetical situations and how the two can be confronted pending the direction taken.

It wouldn't be the first time that someone who is largely full of shit, has one actual source. If that dev kit rumor is even remotely true though, he's really screwing over his source/MercurySteam by referencing them so clearly.

It wouldn't be the first time that someone who is largely full of shit, has one actual source. If that dev kit rumor is even remotely true though, he's really screwing over his source/MercurySteam by referencing them so clearly.

All leakers screw over their sources. That's why information is leaked and not officially revealed. They're giving us the information corporations don't want us to know.

Interesting article about dev studio not able to get their hands on NX Dev Kit and explains how Nintendo treat devkits like their own child

Here is how I imagine the Switch 2

Thinner screen bezels, premium finish, stronger joysticks and reworked joycons

GB6IQUi.png

h1PKDwL.png

Made by me with AI with a lot of trial and error

Interesting article about dev studio not able to get their hands on NX Dev Kit and explains how Nintendo treat devkits like their own child

Especially around that time because Nintendo were trying to control the narrative of information about the NX.
So as soon as they started sending more and more dev-kits out, was when we then started hearing the first trickles of rumors about what NX was and the specs...

That guy isn't "respected" in Spain and the original source for the Metroid Dread leak (as well as Samus Returns' remake) was a user from spanish forum ElOtroLado. Not gonna reveal their name as they're a normal user as you and me that still posts on the site.

That guy isn't "respected" in Spain and the original source for the Metroid Dread leak (as well as Samus Returns' remake) was a user from spanish forum ElOtroLado. Not gonna reveal their name as they're a normal user as you and me that still posts on the site.
Thanks for this. Are you saying that NWeedle possibly lifted that ElOtroLado user’s leak as his own? Is the same user also the source of dev kit rumor?

Well well, on ElOtroLado they respect him and say he is the one that leaked Metroid Dread full details before anyone else 🙃

CbvSOpk.png

Well well, on ElOtroLado they respect him and say he is the one that leaked Metroid Dread full details before anyone else 🙃

CbvSOpk.png
ElOtroLado isn't a hive mind and I don't even know who that is or why they're speaking english for that matter. The original user leaked Samus Returns 2016 and Metroid Dread early 2020.

Here is how I imagine the Switch 2

Thinner screen bezels, premium finish, stronger joysticks and reworked joycons

GB6IQUi.png

h1PKDwL.png

Made by me with AI with a lot of trial and error

Do you think joy cons like this would be feasible for software like Switch Sports and Wario Ware? Younger players especially might struggle holding those properly when playing with 2 detached joy cons.

I used the translator since it’s a Spanish forum
Gotcha.

Again, the user that leaked it isn't some famous leaker persona or anything like that. They're a regular user that doesn't leak things on the regular but already had knowledge of a Metroid 2 remake for 3DS by the time Nintendo sent the C&D to fan project AM2R. Later on, January 2020 they said MS was working on a new Metroid 2D game for the Switch. All of this happened before that tweet and probably many people on EOL don't even know that the leak was EOL>Internet>EOL as usually happens here.

EDIT: I was wrong. User said a new Metroid 2D for Switch had been greenlit on January 2018. They said the game was new, and, obviously, on early stages of development. Haven't leaked anything (or even tried to) since then as far as I'm aware.

Thanks for this. Are you saying that NWeedle possibly lifted that ElOtroLado user’s leak as his own? Is the same user also the source of dev kit rumor?
Don't think they've leaked anything else since then. As I said earlier, they are a regular user of the forum that happened to get some information by chance, although some of their Metroid leaks hit the news back on 2018.

Last edited:
Do you think joy cons like this would be feasible for software like Switch Sports and Wario Ware? Younger players especially might struggle holding those properly when playing with 2 detached joy cons.

Good point and here is what I think:

Switch 2 won't cater to young players in the first time due to the higher pricing (at least $399) so younger players can purchase the Switch 1 or Lite since they will keep being supported for years and at a lower price point ->
Which y'all may ask "why would Nintendo launch a console not targeting all audiences in the beginning ?! "

And my answer is : Well to keep extending Switch 1/Lite life for some more years, but the real new fun will be on Switch 2

I also think Switch 1 Joycons will be retrocompatible for Switch 1 games but the console will be marketed with the new shape ones

Please read this new, consolidated staff post before posting.

Furthermore, according to this follow-up post, all off-topic chat will be moderated.
Last edited by a moderator:

Back
Top Bottom