• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

StarTopic Future Nintendo Hardware & Technology Speculation & Discussion |ST| (Read the staff posts before commenting!)

I’m not making any comparisons. I explain why personally I am symbolically quite hostile to the fact that Nintendo considers Mario kart tour as part of the main series. Precisely for the reason that you imply yourself: the reason why Nintendo went into smartphone games is that they were forced to do so by pressure from their investors while they were going through a difficult situation.
I don't see why they would not call is the part of main series when it's done internally with EPD devs who have long history with MK, the same goes with things like Super Mario Run.

No matter what you count the mobile game as, there will probably be no MK 9.companies tend to skip the number 9. iPhone 9, windows 9, macOS 9 etch, also this:

"Also, it's believed that the number nine isn't welcomed in many countries and cultures. The number has negative meanings in Asian languages, with one translation meaning a literal curse in Chinese and torture or agony in Japanese"

Mario Party 9 says hi.

I don't see why they would not call is the part of main series when it's done internally with EPD devs who have long history with MK, the same goes with things like Super Mario Run.
There has never been micro-transactions in any Mario Kart game. That in itself seems enough to treat Tour as something different. Exactly the same can be said of Fire Emblem Heroes, although it is developed by IS just like the main series.

No matter what you count the mobile game as, there will probably be no MK 9.companies tend to skip the number 9. iPhone 9, windows 9, macOS 9 etch, also this:

"Also, it's believed that the number nine isn't welcomed in many countries and cultures. The number has negative meanings in Asian languages, with one translation meaning a literal curse in Chinese and torture or agony in Japanese"

It’s probably because hitler’s favorite number was 9.

There has never been micro-transactions in any Mario Kart game. That in itself seems enough to treat Tour as something different. Exactly the same can be said of Fire Emblem Heroes, although it is developed by IS just like the main series.
they also said they wouldn't make DLC before the game is out but that changed too. if you treat everything like that then every game is different

they also said they wouldn't make DLC before the game is out but that changed too. if you treat everything like that then every game is different
I don't think it's comparable. DLC doesn't change the way you play a game, or the medium you play it on. Everyone is perfectly free to have no problem with microtransactions or to enjoy Mario Kart Tour. And I'm perfectly free to think badly of them and to point out that Nintendo didn't make this choice of its own free will, which is factual.

I mean, to digress a little less, we're literally on the Nintendo hardware thread and we're talking about something that isn't designed for Nintendo hardware, unlike any DLC. That should be enough to make it a special case.

Mario Party 9 says hi.
9: Just as the number four has a bad-luck soundalike in Chinese, 9 is feared in Japan because it sounds similar to the Japanese word for torture or suffering.
Sounds like a perfect description for Mario Party. :D But Mario Kart 8 sold as much as the whole Mario Party series (i found numbers of 68M for MP series), MK is 54M+8M. So naming the successor is a much bigger topic.

Pretty slow day today......
Waiting for someone to compile the Future Games Show and Wholesome Direct reveals into a list, but we're getting a Partner Showcase/Indie World quantity of reveals today.

One of the reasons that I think Nintendo can/should slip the traditional June Direct toward July. E3 has created this weird dynamic where Nintendo was asking companies to hold the fact that they're supporting the Switch, in order to hold the reveal for their Direct, which they usually kept till the end of the presentation, in order to let the AAA Summer Slugfest begin to settle. Or they games were being announced for Switch outside of their Direct, sometimes upstage or spoiling their presentations.

Lots of third parties have had digital events around E3, and now with E3 dissolved, the digital events remain, with Nintendo no longer in any sort of control of the order of reveals. So just let silly season happen on it's own, they have the biggest console presence of any single platform, let all the things that might go into a partner Direct get revealed in their own time, and then Nintendo can come in with first party stuff entirely on their own pace.

if Drake is anytime next year, the first "solid" rumors being by the end of this year isn't out of the question. similar to the Switch's rumor mill

this is the part where you elaborate instead of just dunking on them...
Telling someone they are misunderstanding isn’t dunking on them. That’s not how that works.

like what

But since I’m “dunking” and today I’m feeling nice, I’ll do the honors for @kasparov77:

Hidden content is only available for registered users. Sharing it outside of Famiboards is subject to moderation.

MacOS 9 exists: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mac_OS_9

If there's any validity to the claim, my guess would be SFVI. Capcom has tended to have a SF game for Nintendo launches and the producers said they would be open to bringing it to Switch.
SF6 would be a weird one because that game wasn't really there. and it's already released so specifying SGF is extremely redundant

There are Final Fantasy 9, Dragon Quest 9, Dynasty Warriors 9 and Marioparty 9. I don‘t see this to be applying to long running Japanese game series.

Disliking a particular number doesn't necessarily mean excluding it from series numbering. Because it sounds like death, the aversion to the number 4 is very strong in East Asia, including China, Japan, and South Korea (probably even stronger than the aversion to 9), but it's rare to find a game franchise that omits the number 4.

The discussion on number 9 is new, it breaks the loop! 😍

Too bad it's the classic totally uninteresting topic that emerges when there's nothing to talk about 😅

9 does indeed have a negative meaning in Asian culture, along with 4. It comes from 四苦八苦, meaning "the four and eight kinds of suffering" (4 comes from 死 meaning death). Sometimes buildings omit 4th and 9th floors for example

I thought 5 is “death”, e.g. Fujifilm goes with V instead of 5z

Praying to high heaven once again that ReFantazio comes to Drake! I've been waiting years for this game and now it finally exists 😭

Praying to high heaven once again that ReFantazio comes to Drake! I've been waiting years for this game and now it finally exists 😭
It could even come to switch. It has been in development for 6 years and in that time pretty much the only thing studio zero out out was the catherine port so they are used to developing with switch hardware. fingers are fucking crossed

well being multiplatform instead of a console exclusive already helps in that regards.
Visually it's also pretty unimpressive for a lack of better words so performance wouldn't be an issue.
FyXDV-WacAAbT3V

Apparently, it's skipping Switch and 8th gen, altogether.

Hope we get it for redacted 0.0 super excited for this so I'll play it anywhere but a switch 2 port would be so hype

Atlas once posted a job offer for a portable console game in 2020.

Is it a little too much to say that it's related to Drake?

I think if Drake is released in 2024, Atlas may release it as Drake at the same time.
probably switch

It would be the funniest thing ever if the Atlus games sold significantly more than the FF game.
I don't see that happening

9 does indeed have a negative meaning in Asian culture, along with 4. It comes from 四苦八苦, meaning "the four and eight kinds of suffering" (4 comes from 死 meaning death). Sometimes buildings omit 4th and 9th floors for example
Hmm, interesting. 4 I know for sure is a homophone for death in both Mandarin and Japanese, and I've seen it mentioned plenty of times in pop culture. But 9 is not a homophone with something so negative in Mandarin, to my (admittedly very limited) knowledge at least. Checking with a Japanese dictionary... okay, fine, one of the readings of 9 is indeed ku/homophone with pain. Hmm, it's an on'yomi (for the thread readers: on'yomi is Sino-derived reading, while kun'yomi is native Japanese). I can see kyuu coming from jiu (Mandarin; sounds like alcohol, not pain to me), but I don't know what would be the base for the ku reading...
I dunno, I've only ever heard jiu for 9 in Mandarin.
I also find it odd that I've just never encountered this before in Japanese pop culture either.

Please read this staff post before posting.

Furthermore, according to this follow-up post, all off-topic chat will be moderated.
Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom