• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

StarTopic Future Nintendo Hardware & Technology Speculation & Discussion |ST| (Read the staff posts before commenting!)

I could see a streaming app for Windows and Mac that allowed one to play their Switch games on a computer without the use of emulation.
That’s… not really going to do anything lol.
Screencasting comes up a lot. I don't know what the underlying solution was for the Wii U, but it was remarkably low latency. Assuming it was a custom protocol, dockless casting probably isn't in the cards, but I'd love to see something like this
- from Wikipedia. Wireless screen casting's latency today doesn't seem low enough for something like gaming. Pretty sure AirPlay 2 still has a noticeable bit of a lag when casting an iPhone to a TV for example.

I think the most likely outcome of this would be a Chromecast-style device that plugs into the HDMI where Switch 2 could cast in "docked" mode to it. More portable than what we have now.
The Wii U was able to deliver 1 frame (16.6.7ms)of latency delay iirc at 60FPS. But the thing requires you to be not too far away from the console.

I wonder if Nintendo would ever bother using that custom protocol again….🤔 it was between them and Broadcomm if I’m not mistaken.

You'd all buy it.

Don't lie.
Idek what Lylat wars is, and I don’t need 4k Mario 64. I need a new 3D Mario that looks and acts like a next gen Mario game. 😹

How do you guys feel about Nintendo adding a their own custom screen casting feature to Switch 2, that not only allows for the device to be played on any screen w/o a dock, but also offer synchronous dual screen gameplay in applicable instances like Wii U or DS on NSO?

I ask this bc I feel like the Switch platform's "gimmick" is versatility and providing no limits to the ways you can play and this could help build on that.
The Switch, besides the portability, has the potential to be exactly what Nintendo thinks it is: an ecosystem. Besides having different variations, it can also have accessories that offer new ways to play. Like, I feel that the Switch could be Nintendo’s ultimate console. The power of a home console, with the portability of a handheld console.
Within the first 24 months:
less than 6Million = Very Bad
less than 12M = Bad
12M-18M = Mediocre
18-24M = Decent
more than 24M = Good
more than 30M = Very Good
The Switch reached 48 million during the end of 2019 (December; three months before the end of Nintendo’s Fiscal Year):

If it gets to at least 40 million during the end of its second year, it’ll do just fine. If it doesn’t, Nintendo can always justify by saying that there’s resistance to upgrading, like with the PS5. But I don’t think Nintendo will have this problem. And if they do, it won’t be that bad.

They might not care that much, but I do think people would expect the Switch 2 to at least match the 720p resolution of the OG models. I don't nessicarily expect it to get a massive jump for sure, frankly I expect it won't get upgraded resolution wise at all. But it seems really odd to me to suggest that it's gonna get downgraded below 720p, I just don't see that happening.
That isn't what I meant. I meant they'll probably go with a 1080p panel, but that's a lower resolution compared to the flagship next generation Switch targeting 4K output in TV mode.

Will NX2 have toast mechanics

Vote Y/N

If it doesn’t have toaster mechanics, Nintendo is finished.

Thoughts?

this is an intentional shitpost as we don’t have anything to really talk about at the moment

The Switch reached 48 million during the end of 2019 (December; three months before the end of Nintendo’s Fiscal Year):

If it gets to at least 40 million during the end of its second year, it’ll do just fine. If it doesn’t, Nintendo can always justify by saying that there’s resistance to upgrading, like with the PS5. But I don’t think Nintendo will have this problem. And if they do, it won’t be that bad.

End of 2019 is much closer to 3 years than 2 years total since they launched in March 2017 and by the end of 2018 Switch had sold around 30 Million.

I doubt nintendo is expecting to sell 40 million in just 24 months unless they are extremely optimistic. Their target for within the first couple of years is probably going to be 30 million.

I definitely think the rate of growth is more important than flat out total sales so I'm glad we're talking about this in terms of the first two years. Drake is powerful but I doubt it'll last nearly as long as the original Switch without a successor or at least a moderate performance upgrade, so it'll probably always be at a disadvantage in raw sales numbers.

As for positioning, I think Switch 1 set up the new "ecosystem", Nintendo Account, Cloud Saves, the new OS, the new concept, and from hereon out it'll be less definitive. Less Switch 1 and Switch 2 and more like iterative devices as Nvidia develops new mobile SOCs. The "Nintendo Switch" extended family, as in every device to ever bear the brand and be able to run original Switch, as a whole, I'd say, will likely break 300,000,000 units, but we're talking a decade or so from now.

It didn’t. It said that the new device would achieve 4k with DLSS. The leap that it would use DLSS 2 and thus tensor cores was ours.

Nvidia produced a custom version of DLSS 1.0 (informally called DLSS 1.9) that ran on CUDA cores instead of tensor cores. It was only ever used in Control, IIRC, but that would run on the existing Switch, presuming it was ported to run on ARM. Mario Kart 4k would be possible with an upclocked Mariko and DLSS 1.0.

Nvidia also said that the device would have more memory. Nintendo did, in fact, update the core memory technology in the OLED model, and despite the fact that the OLED requires no custom development, shipped OLED devkits with increased memory.

We've never seriously discussed a DLSS 1.0 Switch, but such a device would absolutely square the circle of all the rumors. It matches both the Bloomberg report and other insiders talking about a 4k Pro as a minor upgrade that would be superceded by a true next gen successor. DLSS 1.0 required a custom model generated for each game for good results, it's likely that you would get some flagship titles that would get 4k enhancements, but it wouldn't be every game, and there would be no BC problems.

Nintendo decides to pursue a pro revision, designs it for 4k using DLSS technology, shipping software based devkits and early OLED devkits. At somepoint Nintendo decides to release the OLED model as an exactly capable device. Devs are thrown for a loop, but at that point, Nintendo could still theoretically open up performance via a software update, and DLSS/4k is still the company's future, so development continues on the original 4k titles.

At some point after the Bloomberg article, Nintendo pulls that strategy entirely, Zynga issues their denial, and it's all in on T239.

I'm not saying that's what happened, but it absolutely is possible

Your theory is good, it makes you think about all the oddities between 2019 and the release of the OLED switch in 2021. Maybe, the switch pro rumors were due to the fact that the first "switch 2" dev kits were Oled switches with more ram, running full mariko speeds, and using the custom DLSS 1.0 that ran on cuda cores. Thus, this dev kit led to speculation that a switch pro was eminent but maybe the reality was possibly the first dev kits for the switch 2.

Would it? Even if it was a version that didn't need tensor cores, there's still just the matter of Switch being low end hardware. We rarely see Switch doing something even like FSR1 at 1080p resolution. To do something significantly more intensive like DLSS1 at 4K? Seems like that'd have to be one extremely turbo Mariko.
Well, there is a reason I singled out Mario Kart. That’s a Wii U era game that is locked solid at 60fps and max res, so every scrap of additional power can be spent on DLSS

I don’t have my Switch overclocked, but 30% boosts to the GPU and 100% boosts to the CPU are (apparently) within tolerance for the OLED. That’s anywhere from 5-8 ms of time depending on how CPU/GPU bound a game is, and twice as much on a 30fps title.

To be clear - this would only work on games that aren’t already struggling, and just want to run at 4K. FSR gets deployed on games that are struggling and have tight frame budgets, like Zelda

I definitely think the rate of growth is more important than flat out total sales
Right. Maybe the Switch will be another NDS: the original reaches sky high numbers, but its successor won’t perform just as well. I’m sure the Switch 2 will perform better than the 3DS, but maybe the Switch was a phenomena that only established the fact that a hybrid console is a perfect form factor.

What a lovely and informative post, thank you. I did not know that about the PS5, curious if Nintendo would do any modifications for a switch succ to be very efficient about it. Of course, it would be more bespoke and not so much OTS, but still in this case.

like say, 4MB?

In theory they could, but in practice there's no real reason to. Honestly there wasn't really a massive need for Sony either, they could have gone with an off-the-shelf option like Microsoft did and would have been just fine. I suspect that Sony knew from a relatively early stage that they'd have the less powerful console than Microsoft this time around, and decided to focus on SSD performance as a cheap way to get a spec win.

In Nintendo's case UFS already offers way higher speeds than they could need while being very power-efficient (and they are all DRAMless, anyway). It's also an extremely high volume commoditised part, so would probably end up cheaper over the life of the system than any kind of custom solution.

That isn't what I meant. I meant they'll probably go with a 1080p panel, but that's a lower resolution compared to the flagship next generation Switch targeting 4K output in TV mode.
The irony is that no smartphones (except the Sony Xperia I V) use a 4K mobile OLED display. (And the 4K mobile OLED display on the Sony Xperia I V doesn't support VRR.)

As far as I know, ~1440p is the highest resolution supported by smartphones for displays >6.6" (e.g. Google Pixel 7 Pro, Samsung Galaxy S23 Ultra, etc.) since the highest resolution supported by smartphones for displays ≤6.6" (e.g. Google Pixel 7, Samsung Galaxy S23/Samsung Galaxy S23+, etc.) is ~1080p. (I think the iPhone 14 Pro Max is one exception since the iPhone 14 Pro Max uses a custom 1080p mobile OLED display and is 6.7".)

Edit: I'm primarily talking about current flagship smartphones.

Last edited:
I definitely think the rate of growth is more important than flat out total sales so I'm glad we're talking about this in terms of the first two years. Drake is powerful but I doubt it'll last nearly as long as the original Switch without a successor or at least a moderate performance upgrade, so it'll probably always be at a disadvantage in raw sales numbers.

As for positioning, I think Switch 1 set up the new "ecosystem", Nintendo Account, Cloud Saves, the new OS, the new concept, and from hereon out it'll be less definitive. Less Switch 1 and Switch 2 and more like iterative devices as Nvidia develops new mobile SOCs. The "Nintendo Switch" extended family, as in every device to ever bear the brand and be able to run original Switch, as a whole, I'd say, will likely break 300,000,000 units, but we're talking a decade or so from now.
That's what a lot of people predicted for the OG switch, and is probably one of the main reasons we have been talking about a pro for all these years. Since that never panned out, I'm personally not at all confident it will pan out with Drake.

The irony is that no smartphones (except the Sony Xperia I V) use a 4K mobile OLED display. (And the 4K mobile OLED display on the Sony Xperia I V doesn't support VRR.)

As far as I know, ~1440p is the highest resolution supported by smartphones for displays >6.6" (e.g. Google Pixel 7 Pro, Samsung Galaxy S23 Ultra, etc.) since the highest resolution supported by smartphones for displays ≤6.6" (e.g. Google Pixel 7, Samsung Galaxy S23/Samsung Galaxy S23+, etc.) is ~1080p. (I think the iPhone 14 Pro Max is one exception since the iPhone 14 Pro Max uses a custom 1080p mobile OLED display and is 6.7".)
4K output. Not on the console's screen. Output to a TV. So I'm not sure what the purpose of this reply is. Well put together as ever, but. Why?

That's what a lot of people predicted for the OG switch, and is probably one of the main reasons we have been talking about a pro for all these years. Since that never panned out, I'm personally not at all confident it will pan out with Drake.
Dare I say... Things have changed?

Personally I'd be surprised if they increased panel resolution. 720p divides evenly into 4k (2160 x 1440p), might make for cleaner image transition when docked. That's the least important thing though - total power draw (battery life), performance & thermal management are. Keeping panel at 720p means having to push less than half the pixels.

4k is too taxing with thermals, power draw, battery life, performance. Afaik, the Xperia only displays in 4k in designated circumstances (such as viewing content in the Xperia gallery app). They should all be able to output 4k however when connected to an external display. The Tegra K1 (predecessor to X1) can output 4k30fps for example & that's a SoC from 2014. The Switch is technically capable of at least that depending on which HDMI spec it supports, I haven't used any video apps on it however so I'm not sure if it actually supports 4k output for video content when docked.

Personally I'd be surprised if they increased panel resolution. 720p divides evenly into 4k (2160 x 1440p), might make for cleaner image transition when docked. That's the least important thing though - total power draw (battery life), performance & thermal management are. Keeping panel at 720p means having to push less than half the pixels.

4k is too taxing with thermals, power draw, battery life, performance. Afaik, the Xperia only displays in 4k in designated circumstances (such as viewing content in the Xperia gallery app). They should all be able to output 4k however when connected to an external display. The Tegra K1 (predecessor to X1) can output 4k30fps for example & that's a SoC from 2014. The Switch is technically capable of at least that depending on which HDMI spec it supports, I haven't used any video apps on it however so I'm not sure if it actually supports 4k output for video content when docked.
Modern 1080p panels are very power efficient... And divides smoothly into 4K.

A handheld at 720p and TV mode at 4K would be a gigantic gulf to bridge compared to the current day 720p and 1080p/900p

4K is perfectly possible, thermally, given the leaked specs, just likely not without DLSS.

You may say whatever you want :). But I don't really follow.
First generation Nvidia powered Nintendo console vs. the second generation. They're more familiar with the platform, more familiar with developing custom chips with Nvidia, and more familiar with designing and manufacturing, well, Nintendo Switches. Meanwhile, despite a power bump not happening, Mariko was definitely an example of them jumping up a processor. Things have changed, what's not to follow?

Modern 1080p panels are very power efficient... And divides smoothly into 4K.

A handheld at 720p and TV mode at 4K would be a gigantic gulf to bridge compared to the current day 720p and 1080p/900p

4K is perfectly possible, thermally, given the leaked specs, just likely not without DLSS.

Would it make any sense to render at 1080p internally, downscale to 720p for display in handheld or dlss up to 4k for docked?

Would it make any sense to render at 1080p internally, downscale to 720p for display in handheld or dlss up to 4k for docked?
No? I mean in theory they could render in 720p in both modes and DLSS to 1080p or 4K depending on mode. (In fact I think that could be somewhat of a norm.)

First generation Nvidia powered Nintendo console vs. the second generation. They're more familiar with the platform, more familiar with developing custom chips with Nvidia, and more familiar with designing and manufacturing, well, Nintendo Switches. Meanwhile, despite a power bump not happening, Mariko was definitely an example of them jumping up a processor. Things have changed, what's not to follow?
I don't think any of those would have stopped them from iteratively upgrading the Switch hardware. Not doing iterative upgrades every few year was a strategical decision, not because of any sort of limitations that they have overcome now with Drake.

As with Mariko, almost every console in history has received a die shrink at some point in its lifecycle. I would take the decision to not use Mariko as a power bump, as evidence of the opposite of what you are saying. They had a clear opportunity for an iterative power upgrade, and made a conscious decision not to take it.

Lumia 950 also had a 2K screen.

This isn't a 3d hologram though. It's just a 2D image being semi-reflected for translucency effect.
Yeah I assumed as much. But you never really interact with the hologram anyway right ? So all the machine needs is to figure the position of both the controller and the "hologram" (even the reflection of a simple image) and then it can give to you the impression that your movements make it move?

I doubt nintendo is expecting to sell 40 million in just 24 months unless they are extremely optimistic. Their target for within the first couple of years is probably going to be 30 million.
Nothing has reached 40 million by the end of two years. It took Switch, GBA, and probably PS5 until 11th quarter, PS4/DS until their 10th quarters, and Wii its 9th. After 8 quarters the least of any of those systems was PS5 with 25m shipped, so really anything at least at that level is in a pretty elite group.

4K output. Not on the console's screen. Output to a TV. So I'm not sure what the purpose of this reply is. Well put together as ever, but. Why?
I was simply thinking aloud, assuming there's someone who believes Nintendo needs to use a 4K mobile OLED display.

I was simply thinking aloud, assuming there's someone who believes Nintendo needs to use a 4K mobile OLED display.
Ah, gotcha! I think that would be cool but entirely impractical. Maybe a generation or two later, if ever.

Anyone saying 720p is enough just doesnt know what significance resolution has.

These will be the first people to scream in the internet how good it looks and feels and how bad 720p was/is…

And please dont come with battery life etc, we are beyond that point and not anymore in the PSP area…
Nah I'd be fine with 720p. It's enough for me.

And just because I would be fine with 720p why does that mean I couldn't say that a 1080p screen is nice lmao. That's just silly.

These will be the first people to scream in the internet how good it looks and feels and how bad 720p was/is…

And please dont come with battery life etc, we are beyond that point and not anymore in the PSP area…
I'd say it's the bare minimum, but I wouldn't complain, particularly in handheld mode. I'm not sure how significant resolution would be compared to frame rates, but I'm guessing anywhere near 4K would be palatable.

Are you referring to the diehard Nintendo fans on the second and third paragraphs? Because if so, I think you're speaking to very vocal minority.

Except they do, and it IS enough for portable mode, because it's more about the density and quality of pixel than the actual resolution. Games look great on my Wii U GamePad, and many people will watch Youtube videos in 480p or even 360p on their phones to preserve battery life - It's "good enough". I strongly suspect that they would do the same if presented with the option to do so on a future Switch. If they're playing a good game, it will still be good at 720p, 576p, 480p, and 360p. More developers should consider it, tbqh, as portable users will make those trade-offs for the ability to play anywhere, and have a chance of finishing their damned purchases... and let's be honest, most of us would be having too much fun to start counting pixels and notice.

Except they do, and it IS enough for portable mode, because it's more about the density and quality of pixel than the actual resolution. Games look great on my Wii U GamePad, and many people will watch Youtube videos in 480p or even 360p on their phones to preserve battery life - It's "good enough". I strongly suspect that they would do the same if presented with the option to do so on a future Switch. If they're playing a good game, it will still be good at 720p, 576p, 480p, and 360p. More developers should consider it, tbqh, as portable users will make those trade-offs for the ability to play anywhere, and have a chance of finishing their damned purchases... and let's be honest, most of us would be having too much fun to start counting pixels and notice.
With DLSS, what you could have is games running at quarter native resolution internally. 560p to 1080p looks better than 360p to 720p AND 720p native, while using less power than native. With DLSS, or at least some kind of upscaling, likely to feature in almost every game, 1080p makes a lot of sense.

(Personally, while I think they'll go with 1080p, I'd prefer 1440p OLED. They're very power efficient and it would scale perfectly with original Switch games that run at 720p, allows for better VR, and reduces the gap between handheld and TV mode resolution.)

I don't imagine they'll slap 720p video raw to a 1080p display. I think they'll probably modify the pipeline so games running below 720p upscale straight to 1080 rather than 720 then 1080, applying a modern upscaler, like maybe FSR 1.0 or DLSS 1.0, or 1.9, to all backwards compatible titles.

If it weren't for DLSS I'd be on the 720p screen train, but with it... 1080p just makes sense. Backward compatibility is the only aspect that gives me pause, but I trust Nvidia and NERD can figure something out.

If it weren't for DLSS I'd be on the 720p screen train, but with it... 1080p just makes sense. Backward compatibility is the only aspect that gives me pause, but I trust Nvidia and NERD can figure something out.
Wonder if they would just disable portable mode of Switch games on [REDACTED], so it would run docked mode settings instead. Switch games go up to 1080p docked, so if they did something like that, and [REDACTED] games while portable used DLSS Performance mode while rendering at 540p, that would give reason for using a 1080p display.

Wonder if they would just disable portable mode of Switch games on [REDACTED], so it would run docked mode settings instead. Switch games go up to 1080p docked, so if they did something like that, and [REDACTED] games while portable used DLSS Performance mode while rendering at 540p, that would give reason for using a 1080p display.
Yea, I imagine it would be less complicated to only implement a bc solution for one mode, and that Drake has more than enough overhead to just run docked mode in portable. But I'm definitely not an engineer, so this could very well be a wrong assumption.

Edit: there are of course edge cases where a game controls differently in docked/ portable mode. For example uses motion control/ touch screen. So I suppose this woudnt work ideally.

Last edited:
Unfortunately, what most people seeing from the Switch isn't native 720 but like 520 upscaled. Playing something like Mario Kart with native 720, I am not seeing any problem in clarity at the current screen size and distance that I am holding the Switch. Personally, I would like to stick with 720 screen for the next Switch and 1440 for the generation after.

Last edited:

Or simply has an alternative viewpoint?

The Steam Deck is 1.6 teraflops at peak and a 720p screen. Highly optimistic estimates put REDACTED at 1.7. So a 1080p screen would mean games look worse than Steam Deck. Either visual features would have to be sacrificed to make resolution, or you run 720p + non-integer scale and blur, or you run below 720p and run DLSS to upscale.

It’s up to you if “same performance but worse visually for high end games” is an appropriate trade off for “higher res low end games”

The Steam Deck is 1.6 teraflops at peak and a 720p screen. Highly optimistic estimates put REDACTED at 1.7. So a 1080p screen would mean games look worse than Steam Deck. Either visual features would have to be sacrificed to make resolution, or you run 720p + non-integer scale and blur, or you run below 720p and run DLSS to upscale.

It’s up to you if “same performance but worse visually for high end games” is an appropriate trade off for “higher res low end games”
Either sacrifice visuals, or use the technology that means we don't have to while still looking really nice... crisis averted!

720p DLAA
3JJ7jnJ.jpg

vs
540p->1080p DLSS
gUEz3Fm.jpg

I'd take the second any day.

You have no idea how games running in 720p can look good if the in-game settings are turned up enough and the aliasing is actually good.
If they decided to use a 1080p display, some games might not run that well with graphics turned up.

The problem with the switch is that it's a 720p display handheld running games at ~540p more or less with no proper aliasing (or none at all) and on top of all that, really low graphical settings.

Either sacrifice visuals, or use the technology that means we don't have to while still looking really nice... crisis averted!

720p DLAA
You’re not getting DLAA on steam deck, so obviously not the situation I was describing. If a game has a native res of 720p, and pushing the perf on Steam Deck, yes, you could bump it down and DLSS up. Which is exactly what I said.

There would be a similar situation with PS4 ports.

There is a strong contingent (not common on this forums but common in the PC space) who actively dislike DLSS upscaling. Which is why I suggested it was personal preference.

3JJ7jnJ.jpg

vs
540p->1080p DLSS
gUEz3Fm.jpg

I'd take the second any day.
I would prefer 720p no DLAA. There is no feature identical version of what you see on Steam Deck mapped to an equal/lower power device with a higher res screen.

Which was my core point. There is a massive library of games whose rendering features were built around a certain resolution/performance target. A 1080p REDACTED would be under that target. It would not be a clean upscale, and so it is no longer “not knowing what they’re talking about.”

Please read this staff post before posting.

Furthermore, according to this follow-up post, all off-topic chat will be moderated.
Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom