• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

StarTopic Future Nintendo Hardware & Technology Speculation & Discussion |ST| (Read the staff posts before commenting!)

What’s everyone looking forward too the most seeing with the new system? Is it the UI and features of the system? Seeing if Nintendo comes up with any cool gimmicks? Seeing how much better games look or something else?
Definitely the improvement in visuals and performance. Look at something like The Last of Us 2 on PS4 - looks freaking amazing. Can't wait to explore environments rich with detail like that on Drake.

What’s everyone looking forward too the most seeing with the new system? Is it the UI and features of the system? Seeing if Nintendo comes up with any cool gimmicks? Seeing how much better games look or something else?
· Deeper phone integration
· An OS like the Wii U’s but without the 10 second loading times (think the WaraWara plaza with like the floating icons and many other 3D animated glossy items)
· Wii U BC (one can dream)
· Speakers built into every Joy Con
· HDR

I just want modern visuals and to be able to view native resolution screenshots.
The possibilities of a Super Mario 3D platform at PS4 level with HDR has me salivating.
I also want a Pro Controller with colours ( like Wavebird or better ) , sick of drab grey/black dull controllers.
I want analogue controllers back again too.
That's all I need.

I wonder what Nintendo will add with the successor’s OS. I Doubt it’ll be the same. I think they might go heavy on the customization side, with themes

Outside the most obvious answer being improved performance and visuals, something I'd really like to next next gen would be an eshop that doesn't feel like it's running on a 2005 version of Internet Explorer.

The FE4 remake is 100% in the pipeline, I would guess its probably being (primarly) developed by Koei and the rest of the 3 Houses team considering Engages credits.
the fact is that whatever it is, it will not be a project of the same team as Engage

Right!? I wish I could go to the future just to see the wiki page of this thing and be like.. alright.. I can relax now.
I remember back during the NX days i used to wish i could go 10 years into the future to see what the NX turned out to be and when it released but at least then we had a codename now we are literally going off on what seem like hopes and dreams

Honestly, all I want is better performance, a better UI, and actual fucking themes!!!!! But yeah, it's weird that we've gone this long without a codename, when it's supposedly launching within the next 12 or so months.

I remember back during the NX days i used to wish i could go 10 years into the future to see what the NX turned out to be and when it released but at least then we had a codename now we are literally going off on what seem like hopes and dreams
Right? I’d be so over the moon if they even said “on its way” when they’re questioned next.
We used to find out 2 ish years in advance for new systems.
They’d reveal it at E3, show it off with all its games a year later at the next E3, and then launch in the holiday season!
We always knew where and when to at least expect a new system!
Now it could launch at any time of the year at any point and they also don’t even tell us they’re making it!!
Although holidays still makes the most sense and I don’t think March is the new rule so much as the one random exception.

Honestly, all I want is better performance, a better UI, and actual fucking themes!!!!! But yeah, it's weird that we've gone this long without a codename, when it's supposedly launching within the next 12 or so months.
I know, I miss being able to at least be prepared.
You knew when you were getting a GameCube or PlayStation 3 at year 4-5 you were a year or so away from a new system but you wanted this system anyway.
Now we’re like…. Well… should I just buy an OLED because it could be 12 months…. or 5 years?

I know, I miss being able to at least be prepared.
You knew when you were getting a GameCube or PlayStation 3 at year 4-5 you were a year or so away from a new system but you wanted this system anyway.
Now we’re like…. Well… should I just buy an OLED because it could be 12 months…. or 5 years?
I'll say this until the day it is announced and available for preorder-

Bird in the hand is worth two in the bush. Don't deny yourself months, or years, of joy, for the chance of a bit more later.

I'll say this until the day it is announced and available for preorder-

Bird in the hand is worth two in the bush. Don't deny yourself months, or years, of joy, for the chance of a bit more later.
I typically agree unless like right now I really could only afford one system this year and if the new ones coming I’m absolutely getting that and then I’ll play old switch games I still haven’t gotten to on it.

I typically agree unless like right now I really could only afford one system this year and if the new ones coming I’m absolutely getting that and then I’ll play old switch games I still haven’t gotten to on it.
Nintendo Switch holds value. You can always sell your first one! That's how I managed to keep upgrading, after all!

Turning on a brand new system and already being able to download 200+ retro games right away. (Seriously, do not botch the NSO/virtual console again Nintendo)

Turning on a brand new system and already being able to download 200+ retro games right away. (Seriously, do not botch the NSO/virtual console again Nintendo)
Nintendo have been very clear about NSO carrying over, as clear as they can without out and out announcing the new system, and NSO support for the new system was reported by Microsoft in a statement on their relationship with Nintendo (I believe provided to the CMA), which is where we got the name "REDACTED", as Microsoft outlined that Nintendo's systems with NSO included "Nintendo Switch and [REDACTED]".

Nintendo have been very clear about NSO carrying over, as clear as they can without out and out announcing the new system, and NSO support for the new system was reported by Microsoft in a statement on their relationship with Nintendo (I believe provided to the CMA), which is where we got the name "REDACTED", as Microsoft outlined that Nintendo's systems with NSO included "Nintendo Switch and [REDACTED]".
I know that it is most likely going to happen, just like backwards compatibility. But this is Nintendo we are talking about. You just never know.

What’s everyone looking forward too the most seeing with the new system?
The end of speculating about it.

It’d be nice if the joycon rails changed. I’ve own multiple switches and eventually the left rail starts disconnecting the Joycon randomly. Alternatively, an OLED lite model with solid enough sticks that lets me ditch the main model entirely

Beyond that, nothing. I’m sure games will look better and I will like that, but I don’t play a lot of “modern” non-Nintendo games. I just don’t have a life that suits much of anything but handheld. And I’ve never cared much about graphical fidelity.

For me, speculation is a real life detective game that doesn’t require I solve cold cases (as an acquaintance I had did as a hobby for decades). I’m not actually super invested in the end product

Nintendo finally leaving the Xbox 360/Playstation 3/Wii U era of visuals, more stable performance, and new entries of major franchises (Animal Crossing and 3D Mario are my most anticipated)

It’d be nice if the joycon rails changed. I’ve own multiple switches and eventually the left rail starts disconnecting the Joycon randomly. Alternatively, an OLED lite model with solid enough sticks that lets me ditch the main model entirely

Beyond that, nothing. I’m sure games will look better and I will like that, but I don’t play a lot of “modern” non-Nintendo games. I just don’t have a life that suits much of anything but handheld. And I’ve never cared much about graphical fidelity.

For me, speculation is a real life detective game that doesn’t require I solve cold cases (as an acquaintance I had did as a hobby for decades). I’m not actually super invested in the end product
I hope the Joy-Con Rails are improved but I don't see them dropping compatibility.

I know that it is most likely going to happen, just like backwards compatibility. But this is Nintendo we are talking about. You just never know.
I think we do know. I feel like NIntendo is a lot more predictable than most "because nintendo" people give them credit for

Nintendo finally leaving the Xbox 360/Playstation 3/Wii U era of visuals, more stable performance, and new entries of major franchises (Animal Crossing and 3D Mario are my most anticipated)
I’m interested to see where they take Animal Crossing, I feel like we’re hitting the peak to where they were wanting to go since they decided village customization would be a thing that they focused on.
With all this power what will they give us? Scary A.I. in each villager? Bigger maps? Change up the camera and make it more like harvest moon a wonderful life?

I’m interested to see where they take Animal Crossing, I feel like we’re hitting the peak to where they were wanting to go since they decided village customization would be a thing that they focused on.
With all this power what will they give us? Scary A.I. in each villager? Bigger maps? Change up the camera and make it more like harvest moon a wonderful life?
Free camera, customisable village, more personalities and traits, and a big, shared city area!

The city area would be great for the developers to show off their own designs and stuff, and leave the town as a canvas for players. A persistent online element, being able to visit friends' towns even when they're not in-game, and a city you all share and can affect in different ways.

For one, shorter load times would be a hell of a thing after NH.

Free camera, customisable village, more personalities and traits, and a big, shared city area!

The city area would be great for the developers to show off their own designs and stuff, and leave the town as a canvas for players. A persistent online element, being able to visit friends' towns even when they're not in-game, and a city you all share and can affect in different ways.
Exactly! You could totally picture what the next animal crossing would be like after New leaf and that was town customization going way harder… but I can’t picture what’s next after this, not easily at least.
Like, it’s not just going to be another town with even cRaZiEr town customization and new items.

Exactly! You could totally picture what the next animal crossing would be like after New leaf and that was town customization going way harder… but I can’t picture what’s next after this, not easily at least.
Like, it’s not just going to be another town with even cRaZiEr town customization and new items.
Keep the customisation of New Horizons with a bigger town, more villagers, and a hub area (that isn't Harv's stinky island.)

I'd like greater interactivity with the items. Instead of just placing items to decorate, you can kick a soccer ball around and play a game with friends. Some actual games on the arcade machines.

I'd like greater interactivity with the items. Instead of just placing items to decorate, you can kick a soccer ball around and play a game with friends. Some actual games on the arcade machines.
Ironically, those were in the earlier games.

From my experience, switching to a different pair of Joy-Cons that haven't been attached and detached as much can help a lot with disconnection issues, suggesting the Joy-Con side is deteriorating a lot faster than the console side. Would make sense that the plastic one would have more issues.

From my experience, switching to a different pair of Joy-Cons that haven't been attached and detached as much can help a lot with disconnection issues, suggesting the Joy-Con side is deteriorating a lot faster than the console side. Would make sense that the plastic one would have more issues.
Joy-Con are designed to wear out, unfortunately. From the ground up, they're meant to take the brunt of any mechanical wear so you "only" have to replace the Joy-Con and not the more expensive console itself. Drop it from almost any angle and the Joy-Con will manage to break regardless of the fall, but even from 10,000 feet in the air, the Switch will survive by letting one of the Joy-Con shatter.

It was a smart design in a way but it would only make sense if Joy-Con were (or maybe were intended to be) 50% cheaper than they are.

Being able to use items and play games would turn the next game in to a phenomenon IMO. It could easily be Nintendo's roblox if they allowed islands to have interactivity and purpose. But I suppose that would defeat the point of the chill animal village sim.

Interesting quote from the end of an article about TSMC:
"The TSMC fab in Arizona, which is starting with the 4 nanometer 4N process that is used for Nvidia GPUs and CPUs, is set to start volume production in 2024" (my emphasis).
This could be relevant IF Drake was to be produced on 4N? Full article is ...
... quote is from the final paragraph. Full article will mainly be of interest to those especially into TSMC financials and/or economics.

PS apologies for breaking up the whole fantasy smut vibe building up here 😊
Assuming Nintendo plans to release new hardware no later than early 2024, and assuming Nintendo and Nvidia planned on having Drake fabricated using TSMC's 4N process node, I don't think TSMC Arizona's semiconductor fab is where Nintendo and Nvidia are going to have Drake fabricated for a couple of reasons:

Besides the assumed performance boost, I'm most looking forward to nintendo hopefully improving the UI so that it doesn't constantly lag and has some real communication features.
NH was the first AC game where they had to make HD assets for and it made the game take a lot longer to finish development for compared to previous AC games. I wouldn't be surprised if they decide to stick with most of the HD assets they made for NH, opting to keep the customizable town/island but put more focus on expanding non-customizable areas that can be traveled to (stuff like cities, mystery island tours, HHP, tortimer island, Harv's island, etc.).

Can’t wait for the thread’s title to change into “Future Nintendo Switch 2 Hardware & Technology Speculation & Discussion |ST| (Read the staff posts before commenting!)” 🤭

Animal Crossing crossing :)p) into Sims territory

I like what you’re thinking!

So regarding that court document with Microsoft do you think someone actually typed out the name to the Switch Successor but a Nintendo lawyer caught it and made them redact the name?

I’d love if they brought Star Fox back and put big triple A money into it!
Make it like what armored core 6 is probably going to be, tons of customization, upgrade your ship, go out on tons of big missions that let you roam around a bit rather than be on rails, maybe even throw in a racing side section ;)

I’d love if they brought Star Fox back and put big triple A money into it!
Make it like what armored core 6 is probably going to be, tons of customization, upgrade your ship, go out on tons of big missions that let you roam around a bit rather than be on rails, maybe even throw in a racing side section ;)
The genre is dead, i think that's why they wont do that.

I think there's room in the world for a dogfighting game, just not necessarily on rails. Open-area dogfight gameplay and a Mass Effect style between-missions mode would be really cool.
i think that would require a lost of trust into the devs from nintendo.

There is a lot of potential in SF, but i really dont think it will ever be explored.

So regarding that court document with Microsoft do you think someone actually typed out the name to the Switch Successor but a Nintendo lawyer caught it and made them redact the name?
It could just be successor or some shit and Nintendo would have them redact it. I don't think Nintendo wants any official or legal notice referencing a successor whether it's true or not

No. Could have been as generic as 'Successor'. Nintendo knew full well that commenting on the case would require disclosure & that the CMA would be obligated to redact anything.

Assuming Nintendo plans to release new hardware no later than early 2024, and assuming Nintendo and Nvidia planned on having Drake fabricated using TSMC's 4N process node, I don't think TSMC Arizona's semiconductor fab is where Nintendo and Nvidia are going to have Drake fabricated for a couple of reasons:
That 300k/400k in $'s gotta be NTD (New Taiwan Dollar), not US Dollar, right?

Please read this staff post before posting.

Furthermore, according to this follow-up post, all off-topic chat will be moderated.
Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom