• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

StarTopic Future Nintendo Hardware & Technology Speculation & Discussion |ST| (Read the staff posts before commenting!)

maxresdefault_(2).jpg

Well, this is certainly heating up, Nate and Thugtas both know things it seems, along with some other developers under full-on public NDAs.

Wonder if Thugtas and Nate are in contact with each other or not.

Well, this is certainly heating up, Nate and Thugtas both know things it seems, along with some other developers under full-on public NDAs.

Wonder if Thugtas and Nate are in contact with each other or not.
My guess is probably not since English is not Thugstas's first language.

Ignore what I said. That was really stupid on my part.

Last edited:
Ohhh stop !!!! My English is understandable 😡😡
So is that a yes or a no to my question though. (And yeah it is, don't see why people would think otherwise, Dakhil apologizing already as it was not his intention to insinuate that)

Sorry in advance to rain on everyone's parade but Thugstas' track record regarding insider stuff is not *wink* *wink* all that great; I mean sure, a NSO revamp did occur with the introduction of the N64 catalogue but that happened way after he hinted at it. So much so that it would be a stretch to say that there is a link between the two. I just want to say that once for all before some newcomers who read this page will conclude that we have another insider in here.

Sorry in advance to rain on everyone's parade but Thugstas' track record regarding insider stuff is not *wink* *wink* all that great; I mean sure, a NSO revamp did occur with the introduction of the N64 catalogue but that happened way after he hinted at it. So much so that it would be a stretch to say that there is a link between the two. I just want to say that once for all before some newcomers who read this page will conclude that we have another insider in here.
This thread is definitely a party, and that's party pooper talk. That said, maybe he should tag himself `prophet not insider`.

Timeline always change…..

Ciao, Ciao.... I guess this is my first post in the New New Place. I posted under the same username at the Old Old Place and the New Old Place. I'll need a moment to articulate my thoughts, and perhaps I'll cross-post with my blog from time to time. Hopefully, this place will finally address a lot of the issues that I and other fellow Nintendo fans (including many unsigned lurkers) had with the other places. First impressions show some promise. 💕✨

Ciao, Ciao.... I guess this is my first post in the New New Place. I posted under the same username at the Old Old Place and the New Old Place. I'll need a moment to articulate my thoughts, and perhaps I'll cross-post with my blog from time to time. Hopefully, this place will finally address a lot of the issues that I and other fellow Nintendo fans (including many unsigned lurkers) had with the other places. First impressions show some promise. 💕✨

Hey Angel, it's really good to see you here!

I was really pumped for the Pro but I'm fine waiting another year(+) if I have to - to me the biggest bummer was mainly the third party support that I would've been really excited to have on par with PS4 performance or at least having similar/better resolution and framerate targets. Like GTA Trilogy, Tetris Effect could've had a Pro mode to add back more shadow detail and higher res textures, stuff like that.

For example, I'm assuming GTA will be 1080/60 on PS4/XBO and some compromise will have to be made on the Switch. In cases like that, I'm not nearly as confident that Rockstar will go back even 11-12 months later to add a Pro mode than if it had been squarely "in the launch window." LEGO Skywalker Saga is another one I'd been hoping would be able to hit 1080/60 if the Pro had come out before its launch (which I guess is still possible - even that performance might happen if Switch is lead platform!).

Anyway, I am really excited to try out the OLED. Sounds like it's incredible and in the meantime I'm super glad this thread still exists.

Hi everyone!

I found the Bloomberg episode rather funny, I wonder whether it'll turn out to have been a next gen all along, although it strikes me as a bit weird that will have heard about this so early on.
Consoles are in the development the momento the current one is out, maybe Nintendo really just want to make Switch 2+ rather than reinvent the wheel again

I've said it before, FSR and other upscaling methods are the future and we likely are going to enter the death of native resolution...

I can definitely see a larger focus on it in the future, but I think it will depend on the game.

For computationally expensive or resource intensive games, I think would be best to pursue alternative solutions to native rendering in general, but your average indie game would see no real benefit from taking this approach when most of those games can run just fine natively, and would probably be better off using supersampling for superior image quality without artifacts, imo.

The chip? I was confused at first I thought it was the codename for the switch pro. So its a chip?
Dane Whitman, aka The Black Knight, is the Switch Pro chip codename.

Like how Porject Scarlett is the codename for Series X, Lockhart for the Series S, or Próspero for the PS5.

For their socs.

Hello everyone! It's very nice to meet you here again. I used to follow the thread regularly in the old place too, but I rarely post anything, because English is not my native language and I feel a little insecure, writing in it. Nevertheless, I appreciate immensely the work you have done so far and I hope you will continue for a long time from now on.

Thank you and keep on the good work!

Hello everyone!
Hi, Scripta! I just wanted to make sure someone told you your English is actually rather good, and you shouldn't feel insecure about it, even if you're unsure whether you're doing everything correctly. 'Tis the nature of language, especially when it's not one with which you're most familiar.

I also followed the discussion in that thread from time to time, though I didn't really take the time to understand all the details in-depth. This is a good resource, and oftentimes interesting.

Hey everybody! Feels good to be back. Haven't posted on the other site for ages.

Anyway, here's hoping if Dane is Switch 2, Nintendo decides to use a 5nm node at least. 8nm is too damn old for 2022-2023 tech. Will be interesting to see if Nano Next is Dane, or perhaps a lite/lower wattage version of Dane, like for a Switch 2 lite model.:unsure:

Last edited:
Hey everybody! Feels good to be back. Haven't posted on the other site for ages.

Anyway, here's hoping if Dane is Switch 2, Nintendo decides to use a 5nm node at least. 8nm is too damn old for 2022-2023 tech. Will be interesting to see if Nano Next is dane, or perhaps a lite version of Dane, like Switch lite.
Welcome to FamiBoards.

I think Dane's very unlikely to be fabricated using a 5 nm process node from Samsung or TSMC since Nvidia's probably going to prioritise fabricating consumer Lovelace GPUs (e.g. AD102) and datacentre Hopper GPUs using a 5 nm process node from Samsung and/or TSMC. And Samsung's rumoured on 5 July 2021 to have yields below 50% for some of Samsung's 5 nm process nodes, which seems to be validated by a Xiaomi executive's comment on lack of capacity being the reason for the Snapdragon 780G, which was fabricated using Samsung's 5LPE process node, being cancelled. And Microsoft was rumoured to be partnering with AMD to design an Arm based SoC for a Microsoft Surface device, which was supposed to be fabricated using a 5 nm process node from Samsung, but is now being fabricated using a 5 nm process node from TSMC, due to low yields.

I imagine Nano Next is a highly binned variant of Dane, similar to how Jetson Nano is a highly binned variant of the Tegra X1.

Welcome to FamiBoards.

I think Dane's very unlikely to be fabricated using a 5 nm process node from Samsung or TSMC since Nvidia's probably going to prioritise fabricating consumer Lovelace GPUs (e.g. AD102) and datacentre Hopper GPUs using a 5 nm process node from Samsung and/or TSMC. And Samsung's rumoured on 5 July 2021 to have yields below 50% for some of Samsung's 5 nm process nodes, which seems to be validated by a Xiaomi executive's comment on lack of capacity being the reason for the Snapdragon 780G, which was fabricated using Samsung's 5LPE process node, being cancelled. And Microsoft was rumoured to be partnering with AMD to design an Arm based SoC for a Microsoft Surface device, which was supposed to be fabricated using a 5 nm process node from Samsung, but is now being fabricated using a 5 nm process node from TSMC, due to low yields.

I imagine Nano Next is a highly binned variant of Dane, similar to how Jetson Nano is a highly binned variant of the Tegra X1.
I'm not expecting a top of the line chip like 3nm for 2022-2023 release. Anything but 8nm, which would have made sense for 2921 release, but seems far past that now. I'm not expecting a top of the line chip like 3nm for 2022-2023, just something between 5 and 7. But we'll see.

Yeah it makes sense it would be a binned version of Dane.

I think people are unnecessarily throwing themselves into fits over the backwards compatibility thing. BC was the core tenant of the Switch dev environment and people with less resources have made such a thing work on PCs. if there's no BC, it's because Nintendo said "no", not because "it's not possible"
Yea. It didn’t take long for the first switch emulators to arrive, and that actually requires actual reverse engineering. The idea that somehow nvidia is incapable of running switch code on a new soc is just dumb.

I'm not expecting a top of the line chip like 3nm for 2022-2023 release. Anything but 8nm, which would have made sense for 2921 release, but seems far past that now. I'm not expecting a top of the line chip like 3nm for 2022-2023, just something between 5 and 7. But we'll see.

Yeah it makes sense it would be a binned version of Dane.
They will be behind what you think they should have. I feel confident saying that.

Please read this staff post before posting.

Furthermore, according to this follow-up post, all off-topic chat will be moderated.
Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom