• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

StarTopic Future Nintendo Hardware & Technology Speculation & Discussion |ST| (Read the staff posts before commenting!)

Why would they want to take that risk when their portable hardware has pretty much dominated the market for 30 years?

The switch is the perfect form factor for Nintendo. Their handheld market is more engaged than ever as they now have a device with the added option of playing on the TV as well as home console experiences on a handheld along with traditional handheld experiences.

The home console crew still get a home console, just not a massively powerful one and they were always a smaller market to Nintendo anyway.
There's no reason Nintendo can't have one of their consoles sell as well as their handhelds.

There's no reason Nintendo can't have one of their consoles sell as well as their handhelds.
You already made a thread about this why you need to bring this topic again when there was already a thread with multiple pages about it that got blocked because it was going nowhere?

No single rumor, credible or not, points to a release that late.
No single info points to a release within 12 months either. So far this assumption is based on hopium more than anything else. Which will probably turn to copium if nothing releases next March: "plans have probably changed"; "something happened behind closed doors"... etc.

As we effectively know nothing, one can only speculate. Based on the fact that the OLED model is barely a half year old, and several strong titles are supposed to release next year on the regular switch, I speculate that Nintendo wishes to coast through 2023 with this console as they are sure to continue selling a healthy amount of machines. I also think that 2024, or very late 2023, is the likeliest timeframe for a new machine.

Nintendo has the money to moneyhat third parties.
No they don't. They can do it a few times for all the big publishers, sure, but in doing so they will set a precedent that they will do that every time. And that they can't afford.

There are many reasons, lots of which have been listed in this thread (and your thread).

Me thinks this a troll.

There’s really not much incentive for Nintendo to have a console only generation. The hybrid factor fulfills that for them and they’ll want to do it for one more generation.

I would be ok with a nintendo home console with backward compatibilty for Switch games in a premium mode (1080p/4k 60fps). Imagine playing Zelda at 4K and 60fps. I know it could be possible with the next Switch, but right now it's not possible. I don't need exclusive games for the home console, just better quality modes.

I feel like reputation were hurt and bosses got mad at the Switch Pro thing, that's why we are not seeing it. Clearly the subject lead to hits and retweets, but after a few misses, your reputation will get dinged.

OK, I'll stop.

Sorry, I tend to obsess over stuff because I have ADHD.

You’re alright; This thread is full of wonderful obsessions - just have to reign it in when a discussion is already well tread.

My two cents on the whole ‘home console’ thing - Nintendo are converging their efforts on the ‘laptop’ of gaming-only hardware in a way, and it's resonating with the broadest audience they've ever seen. The Switch is a lucrative product with a mostly uncontested value. If there's ever going to be a time for them to re-evaluate the focus on a hybrid device, it's not anytime soon. The best somebody should hope for is for them to release a TV only device as a low cost point of entry into the ecosystem, and I'd half expect it to be based on the OG model and release sometime after the revision drops - really milking the previous model kinda thing

I feel like reputation were hurt and bosses got mad at the Switch Pro thing, that's why we are not seeing it. Clearly the subject lead to hits and retweets, but after a few misses, your reputation will get dinged.

If you're referring to Bloomberg, Mochizuki probably is just trying to get something new or more bulletproof if he’s ever to formalize another report. 11+ developers was a substantial thing to report on, but he’s not going to drop that same headline a second time . And it’s not like he’s hiding his thoughts on the subject since:

It will decline rapidly look at the DS and PS4
What’s the plan then if the Drake can’t be stocked in high enough numbers to replace those who would have bought a Switch? Or if this device has slim margins like OLED?

It would probably be prudent for Nintendo to make sure the Switch can still sell until the Drake gets its feet underneath itself.

You’re alright; This thread is full of wonderful obsessions - just have to reign it in when a discussion is already well tread.

My two cents on the whole ‘home console’ thing - Nintendo are converging their efforts on the ‘laptop’ of gaming-only hardware in a way, and it's resonating with the broadest audience they've ever seen. The Switch is a lucrative product with a mostly uncontested value. If there's ever going to be a time for them to re-evaluate the focus on a hybrid device, it's not anytime soon. The best somebody should hope for is for them to release a TV only device as a low cost point of entry into the ecosystem, and I'd half expect it to be based on the OG model and release sometime after the revision drops - really milking the previous model kinda thing

If you're referring to Bloomberg, Mochizuki probably is just trying to get something new or more bulletproof if he’s ever to formalize another report. 11+ developers was a substantial thing to report on, but he’s not going to drop that same headline a second time . And it’s not like he’s hiding his thoughts on the subject since:

On the tweet, not on the article. He's quoting someone else.

On the tweet, not on the article. He's quoting someone else.

Not sure what you’re getting at? I know it’s not his article, and my post doesn’t imply that it is. The Tweet comment is the focus, and it’s clearly continuing to lean into the idea that new hardware is coming.

Not sure what you’re getting at? I know it’s not his article, and my post doesn’t imply that it is. The Tweet comment is the focus, and it’s clearly continuing to lean into the idea that new hardware is coming.
My op said that bosses got mad too, maybe his bosses aren't allowing him to touch the subject on an article published by Bloomberg.

He can say whatever he wants on a tweet, on an article, maybe not so much.

When did gaming outlets start caring about their reputation? The public has a short memory anyway. Plus it’s not like Bloomberg was completely wrong and Mochizuki has gotten plenty of things correct since then- like Nagoshi leaving Sega.

When did gaming outlets start caring about their reputation? The public has a short memory anyway. Plus it’s not like Bloomberg was completely wrong and Mochizuki has gotten plenty of things correct since then- like Nagoshi leaving Sega.
I don't think Bloomberg is the same as IGN or Kotaku

One of the advantages of a Home Console: it wouldn't cannibalize sales from standard Switch and OLED Switch. It would extend Switch's life as it wouldn't have exclusive games (just exclusive premium modes). And it could combine with the current Switch by streaming the Home Console to the current Switch when you're at home.

I actually don't see it as a bad idea, especially considering the fact that they couldn't sell many consoles due to the current goblal ship shortage. And in the near future after this crisis (2025-26), they could offer the same Home Console as a hybrid or handheld console with exclusive games.

I think a stationery Switch would be a bad idea, people would be asking for stuff that Nintendo can't give without it being out of line with what thw Switch is about.

One of the advantages of a Home Console: it wouldn't cannibalize sales from standard Switch and OLED Switch. It would extend Switch's life as it wouldn't have exclusive games (just exclusive premium modes). And it could combine with the current Switch by streaming the Home Console to the current Switch when you're at home.

I actually don't see it as a bad idea, especially considering the fact that they couldn't sell many consoles due to the current goblal ship shortage. And in the near future after this crisis (2025-26), they could offer the same Home Console as a hybrid or handheld console with exclusive games.
Nintendo is nealy twice as profitable as Playstation.

Why would they give up their succesfull business model and adopt a less successfull one.

Why would they give up their succesfull business model and adopt a less successfull one.
I think they meant as an add-on, not to leave behind the form factor.

I think they meant as an add-on, not to leave behind the form factor.
Exactly. It's not about doing a home console with exclusive games, but a home console with the same games from Switch but in premium conditions like 60fps o 4K.

I'm not talking about a home console with new games. I'm talking about playing next Zelda at 4k/60fps in the home console and 900p/30fps in the current Switch. That way, it doesn't split the teams for development.

Exactly. It's not about doing a home console with exclusive games, but a home console with the same games from Switch but in premium conditions like 60fps o 4K.

I'm not talking about a home console with new games. I'm talking about playing next Zelda at 4k/60fps in the home console and 900p/30fps in the current Switch. That way, it doesn't split the teams for development.
Have you considered thats it only a small market to cater too.

I think a cheap Switch Home / Switch TV Stick is in the realm of possibility. A Ring Fit and Switch Sports machine, $150 - $200 with the current Tegra X1+ and games use the current docked mode profile (so no extra performance modes), standalone joy-cons (like below). A cheap entry point device like the Lite, basically the inverse Lite.

This:
06A27E81-0E1D-4427-9591-570E50200728.png

+

1280x720.jpg

Now, 'realm of possibility' doesn't mean I think this is coming anytime soon, I don't know how large the target demographic for this is. This is just how I would position it. At least for me, it'd be an easy and cheap gift for family members who want to play Mario Kart on a TV.

I don't imagine a home console would have exclusive performance modes, the effort would be better spent in making the flagship hybrid model more powerful, as that will be the lead dev platform going forward.

Creating such a device so different to the original Switch but that can run games at 4K/60fps would be too expensive for Nintendo to do if it’s only to appeal to a small enthusiastic crowd. And I’m not even talking about the cost of making a new update for all the games so this specific niche device can run all the 1st party games at 4k/60fps and in some cases the work to do so would be quite big.

I think a cheap Switch Home / Switch TV Stick is in the realm of possibility. A Ring Fit and Switch Sports machine, $150 - $200 with the current Tegra X1+ and games use the current docked mode profile (so no extra performance modes), standalone joy-cons (like below). A cheap entry point device like the Lite, basically the inverse Lite.

This:
06A27E81-0E1D-4427-9591-570E50200728.png

+

1280x720.jpg

Now, 'realm of possibility' doesn't mean I think this is coming anytime soon, I don't know how large the target demographic for this is. This is just how I would position it. At least for me, it'd be an easy and cheap gift for family members who want to play Mario Kart on a TV.

I don't imagine a home console would have exclusive performance modes, the effort would be better spent in making the flagship hybrid model more powerful, as that will be the lead dev platform going forward.
If Drake ended up as, for example, a Nintendo Switch 2 in holiday 2024, I'd expect a Nintendo Switch TV in holiday 2023 for a budget price.

A small point, though: I don't expect the rail-less Joy-Con to come to fruition this gen because of Ring-Fit:

3150671-3054908934-ringc.jpg

Yeah a Switch TV would be a very similar type of value proposition as Apple TV is to people in the iOS ecosystem. A nice to have expansion concept. But everyone knows where the money is made in that ecosystem and it's not on Apple TVs.

I think Nintendo will hold Switch TV back until they have something compelling to offer for a static only Nintendo device.
Until then the hybrid device concept already connects to the TV so it really removes a lot of the urgency to have a TV only device, but I think it's a viable option for them to pad sales/profits/revenue down the road.

One concept: The value-add proposition of a Switch TV could be it has an HDD that stores years of content from various Switch generations and doubles as a dock for you to transfer games around. Something like that. It could also act as a hub of sorts for households with multiple Switch devices.

I think people expecting more power than hybrid would be sorely disappointed. It's not worth it for Nintendo to add another peformance tier to a future Switch device for a complementary hardware device.

Wait, I'm out of the loop, is there a reason everyone is having second thoughts about Bloomberg's Switch intel now?

I mean that’s my point. The others don’t care and Bloomberg’s reputation isn’t going to be impacted by some fans online. I would assume insiders are just trying to nail down a release window.
Bloomberg is a buisness magazine for investors, their reputation matters a lot and will be affected if they keep saying something will happen and in the end not only it doesnt happen but the company makes a public statement saying you are wrong like it happened with OLED profit margins.

A Switch "Home" that would just connect to the TV, and that came with a single joycon/Pro Controller, if they priced it around 100€, even bundle it with a game... would be a huge success.
The 2DS at one point was 80€ with Mario Kart 7 included, and it sold like crazy, I know people that even bought multiple consoles for the kids.

A Switch "Home" that would just connect to the TV, and that came with a single joycon/Pro Controller, if they priced it around 100€, even bundle it with a game... would be a huge success.
The 2DS at one point was 80€ with Mario Kart 7 included, and it sold like crazy, I know people that even bought multiple consoles for the kids.
I don’t think your getting a device that cheap from Nintendo nowadays & with a bundle, which they typically increase the price for.

Any “Home” variant I think will be the same as Lite, so 200$. I don’t think Nintendo wants a “Home” variant as the cheapest option on the market. Nor do I think they will make it more enticing by essentially turning it into a memory hub.

I think probably digital only.
Nintendo want to increase Switch install base by making users to get several Switch systems for the same house, among other strategies. The Lite was one way to accomplish it (for example, getting a Lite for one of the kids or someone who prefers handheld gaming), but they could still use the same game cards. A TV-only Switch would fit in the same strategy of having families buying several Switch devices, this time for someone that prefers to play only on TV or to have a living room set up to do some Mario Kart / Party / Ring Fit with the family/friends and the other hybrid Switches reserved for other spaces or if someone wants to play some Zelda/Animal Crossing/Brain Training at the same time.

Having a TV-only Switch that only accepts digital gaming goes against this philosophy. That kind of Apple TV-like device could only convince to a very small niche that honestly is not worth the investment. Yeah, not including the game card reader would save Nintendo some money, but they should be saving lots already if the systems doesn't have an OLED screen and a giant battery, so...

I personally would get a TV-only 4K Switch for my 65" LG OLED TV while keeping my launch Switch on my bedroom, but if I can't use my 50+ game cards on both that could be a no sale from me. It just doesn't make any sense.

The switch sells insanely well and has chunky profit margins. Why would they release a lower margin device just to get a few more sales when the console is already nearing the end of it’s life but selling great? The 2DS sold well, but no where near as well as the switch does now.

Nintendo want to increase Switch install base by making users to get several Switch systems for the same house, among other strategies. The Lite was one way to accomplish it (for example, getting a Lite for one of the kids or someone who prefers handheld gaming), but they could still use the same game cards. A TV-only Switch would fit in the same strategy of having families buying several Switch devices, this time for someone that prefers to play only on TV or to have a living room set up to do some Mario Kart / Party / Ring Fit with the family/friends and the other hybrid Switches reserved for other spaces or if someone wants to play some Zelda/Animal Crossing/Brain Training at the same time.

Having a TV-only Switch that only accepts digital gaming goes against this philosophy. That kind of Apple TV-like device could only convince to a very small niche that honestly is not worth the investment. Yeah, not including the game card reader would save Nintendo some money, but they should be saving lots already if the systems doesn't have an OLED screen and a giant battery, so...

I personally would get a TV-only 4K Switch for my 65" LG OLED TV while keeping my launch Switch on my bedroom, but if I can't use my 50+ game cards on both that could be a no sale from me. It just doesn't make any sense.
Same here. I primarily play docked, so if there's a TV-only version of Drake that's cheaper, I'd be right in the proper demo for it. But if the games I've spent years collecting suddenly don't work, I'd be unhappy.

Plus (this isn't a super technical thing so forgive me) wasn't it shown at some point that a huge proportion of Nintendo's sales come from retail, thus giving a digital-only Switch the potential to kinda go against the grain of their largest source of sales?

My main point with regards to Bloomberg is that I don’t think their reputation is the reason why we haven’t heard an update from Mochizuki on Drake. Unless he gets something from the hardware side or software release timing, there isn’t a point in a new article. We can only assume that his last report about the 11 devs is still relevant. Which is also what Nate had been saying.

Doesn’t have to be one of the other. It could act as a pro with some occasional third party exclusives at the first phase of its lifecycle, then gradually transition to be the main dev platform. This is what a lot of us believe.

Since the portable profile on Drake will still be a 720p game with low clocks…why wouldn’t Nintendo still have their big 2025/2026 games running on the OLED?

I don’t see the userbase moving to the $500 Switch as fast as some people here seem to think. I don’t think Nintendo expects this either.

I don’t see Nintendo designing their games around 4K DLSS and some ray tracing. I think the point of Drake is to make the Switch library run at native resolutions and native refresh rates. It’s not going to affect Nintendo game design.

They will still have the variable 540p-720p and ~30fps targets for most of their output for quite awhile longer

Please read this staff post before posting.

Furthermore, according to this follow-up post, all off-topic chat will be moderated.
Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom