• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

StarTopic Future Nintendo Hardware & Technology Speculation & Discussion |ST| (Read the staff posts before commenting!)

2023 is the max

God I hope you're right. I'm ready to move on. It will also be nice to get a long break from "Pro/2 Speculation" and can focus more on just having a nicer system for awhile. Meanwhile I'm pretty glued between this thread and the Direct thread looking for scraps lol.

God I hope you're right. I'm ready to move on. It will also be nice to get a long break from "Pro/2 Speculation" and can focus more on just having a nicer system for awhile. Meanwhile I'm pretty glued between this thread and the Direct thread looking for scraps lol.
You can do like me … just come here and having fun… and let things happening or not… it is just video game and take it like distraction.
On a business note… a new switch is on the way…and soon … this time is more exciting because when we hear nothing for too long …something big happens.. so come to my webinar and pay me 600€ and come and eat croissant 😉

You can do like me … just come here and having fun… and let things happening or not… it is just video game and take it like distraction.
On a business note… a new switch is on the way…and soon … this time is more exciting because when we hear nothing for too long …something big happens.. so come to my webinar and pay me 600€ and come and eat croissant 😉

lol yeah gaming isn't life or death. It was always a case where I have a really nice home theater setup and I have a PS5, XSX, nice 4K OLED tv, etc but most of my favorite games are on Switch and the Switch itself is such a lackluster experience hardware/visuals wise so a proper "Nintendo Next Gen Leap" would be something just really desirable for me.

I'm hoping for 2023 because BOTW 2 is my hotly anticipated game. Probably the biggest game in the last few years for me in terms of "want" and I really don't want to get stuck playing that on the old hardware. I also think if Nintendo releases that game and there is no sign of new Nintendo hardware then it really is years out. While Nintendo has a track record now for not wanting to show games until close to release, I think Zelda is such a highly anticipated game and a tentpole title for the company that I think they would want to show more but are holding back until they can do a full reveal on new hardware. At least that is my theory.

lol yeah gaming isn't life or death. It was always a case where I have a really nice home theater setup and I have a PS5, XSX, nice 4K OLED tv, etc but most of my favorite games are on Switch and the Switch itself is such a lackluster experience hardware/visuals wise so a proper "Nintendo Next Gen Leap" would be something just really desirable for me.

I'm hoping for 2023 because BOTW 2 is my hotly anticipated game. Probably the biggest game in the last few years for me in terms of "want" and I really don't want to get stuck playing that on the old hardware. I also think if Nintendo releases that game and there is no sign of new Nintendo hardware then it really is years out. While Nintendo has a track record now for not wanting to show games until close to release, I think Zelda is such a highly anticipated game and a tentpole title for the company that I think they would want to show more but are holding back until they can do a full reveal on new hardware. At least that is my theory.
Only BOTW2 is a good indicator for the new switch. 😉

If zelda delay of the wild wasn't enough, the fact that we're entering goddamn august should arouse some suspicion it's not gonna launch this year.
They're gonna promote pokemon, splatoon 3 particularly, this month then they'll have to announce metroid prime in whatever way and their year is done.

If zelda delay of the wild wasn't enough, the fact that we're entering goddamn august should arouse some suspicion it's not gonna launch this year.
They're gonna promote pokemon, splatoon 3 particularly, this month then they'll have to announce metroid prime in whatever way and their year is done.
Huh? Nintendo said it wasn’t going to launch this year, it’s launching in Spring.

EDIT: my fault, misunderstood.

Last edited:
Huh? Nintendo said it wasn’t going to launch this year, it’s launching in Spring.

They were referring to new hardware launching this year. It's looking less and less likely with Nintendo having a pretty stacked 2022 fall lineup and we are about to enter August which is becoming "late" for a 2022 console reveal for this year and no real factory leaks or rumblings as of late (outside of a few minor rumors weeks ago).

I can’t be hopeful for a 2022 release for a month that late. I hope you’re right but an October announcement is just too much of a wait for 2022, for the sake of my sanity.
September would already a extreme marketing cycle for such console because December is a horrible month to release hardware due to the logistic issues causes by holidays so the latest they could release it is really early on Dec and probably would be late Nov. October is impossible if it has to release 2022, if 2023 it could make sense if Nintendo has chosen to announce it before holidays but we don’t know if that is something Nintendo wants to do.

They were referring to new hardware launching this year. It's looking less and less likely with Nintendo having a pretty stacked 2022 fall lineup and we are about to enter August which is becoming "late" for a 2022 console reveal for this year and no real factory leaks or rumblings as of late (outside of a few minor rumors weeks ago).
I mean if they’re planning to show Drake off in August, maybe they might want XB3 to settle before a bit before a reveal? I’m not really expecting anything in August but I wouldn’t rule anything out. I personally think it’s more likely that it will release with BOTW2.

I mean if they’re planning to show Drake off in August, maybe they might want XB3 to settle before a bit before a reveal? I’m not really expecting anything in August but I wouldn’t rule anything out. I personally think it’s more likely that it will release with BOTW2.

I think August will be all about Splatoon and possibly Pokemon Scarlet/Violet and Kirby Dream Buffet and that will most likely be the bulk of what Nintendo talks about in August (along with the Mario Kart Booster Pack 2 release on August 4th). Honestly I don't see anything else big happening in August. No General Direct, no hardware related unveil, etc. Nintendo has a pretty stacked lineup for 2022. Like it already feels like we know the bulk of the 2022 year for Nintendo. There is enough content to keep Nintendo dripping stuff out until the end of the year pretty much. 2023 for me is the big unknown. I think if hardware is coming at all anytime soon it will be in 2023, probably January/February reveal and a Spring release. Maybe March or April with BOTW 2. At least that is my hope.

I think August will be all about Splatoon and possibly Pokemon Scarlet/Violet and Kirby Dream Buffet and that will most likely be the bulk of what Nintendo talks about in August (along with the Mario Kart Booster Pack 2 release on August 4th). Honestly I don't see anything else big happening in August. No General Direct, no hardware related unveil, etc. Nintendo has a pretty stacked lineup for 2022. Like it already feels like we know the bulk of the 2022 year for Nintendo. There is enough content to keep Nintendo dripping stuff out until the end of the year pretty much. 2023 for me is the big unknown. I think if hardware is coming at all anytime soon it will be in 2023, probably January/February reveal and a Spring release. Maybe March or April with BOTW 2. At least that is my hope.

Wouldn’t new hardware be perfect for a stacked fall 22 lineup? Either that or Nintendo will need to delay games for next year for the new hardware

Wouldn’t new hardware be perfect for a stacked fall 22 lineup? Either that or Nintendo will need to delay games for next year for the new hardware

The remainder of the lineup feels more like Nintendo's smaller IP or IP that wouldn't really be good show pieces for new hardware. That's why I don't think new hardware is coming. Metroid Prime remake possibly could be a good launch title to show off the power of new hardware but that's not announced or confirmed as of yet. I'm not thinking Splatoon 3, Bayonetta 3, Pokemon or Rabbids 2 are games that will really show people why they should get new hardware. They would look better of course but I personally think Nintendo needs something bigger to launch new hardware with.

September would already a extreme marketing cycle for such console because December is a horrible month to release hardware due to the logistic issues causes by holidays so the latest they could release it is really early on Dec and probably would be late Nov. October is impossible if it has to release 2022, if 2023 it could make sense if Nintendo has chosen to announce it before holidays but we don’t know if that is something Nintendo wants to do.
I agree. I think time is running out for 2022. Let's see what happens in August.

If I was Nintendo, when would be the best time to announce and release while striking a balance of maximizing the amount of consoles and software for Switch and Drake, without drastically lowering Switch sales (which is still selling well).

Probably 15 months ago. Early 2021 would have been killer. The drop from 2020 to 2021 was huge, and the era of “wow 3rd party support for the Switch is really surprising” was wearing off.

A pro device with BC, especially if all the first party releases in 2022 were enhanced (even minimally) would be a hell of a pitch for the new device plus a strong statement of continued support for the base device. They would likely sell as many pieces of hardware as they could make across all lines in the Switch family.

There's a lot of factors and scenarios to take into account, including if Drake will be backwards compatible with switch games right out of the gate--like literally buying a switch physical or digital copy and putting it in the Drake.
If it isn’t out-of-the-box compatible then it’s not launching in the next year. Nintendo isn’t going to launch a device which can’t use the Switch base library without a “next gen” style rollout

Does it make sense to announce it before the new Pokemon games come out?
Why not? A new device isn’t going to suppress sales of Pokémon, and Pokémon has sold a few handhelds in its time.

if 2022 release, what are the pros and cons of announcing it in August/September and releasing it in November/December?
Releasing in early November is likely great as it’s a new piece of hardware in time for holiday sales. Later might make it hard to acquire while the announcement might suppress holiday sales of the base device

if 2023 Spring release with botw, what are the pros and cons of anouncing it in October (before the holidays) vs January?
The obvious problem is that it suppresses classic switch sales during holiday season. The less obvious but worse problem is it totally fucks up your marketing.

When the OLED was announced, it was featured in the marketing for Dread. Dread was featured in the marketing for the OLED. “Switch” marketing often included some combination of the OLED, the Lite, and the classic.

Everything helped sell everything else, and the story was consistent - the Switch family of devices let’s you play all these great new games.

If Nintendo announces early 2023 hardware in late 2022, then their holiday marketing will either need to feature a device that users can’t actually buy, or will need to downplay the new hardware in commercials, either undercutting their or launch or leaving the impression that this new device is not part of the Switch family.

Neither of these things is good for the long term health of the hardware line well beyond how many units they can move in this holiday season.

I think the 2022 dream is dead at this point.

Nintendo won't reveal it in a General Direct in September. Assuming they even do another Direct.
They won't reveal it in a direct at all. Regardless of when it releases.

I think the 2022 dream is dead at this point.

Nintendo won't reveal it in a General Direct in September. Assuming they even do another Direct.
Only reason I still think it could happen is the lack of June direct, funcle (console having to start production this year) and the fact that some titles that are planned for this year (rumored) haven’t even announced. This makes me think some type of August hardware event + 1st party could happen of course this is just speculation and I only expect it as something that could happen during the first two weeks of August, if by mid August we have no hardware event then I think the chances are close to 0 but Nintendo can always Nintendo.

They could very well announce it last week August, just like the n3DS. It would also line up to be one week before their potential pre-TGS Direct, where they could use that as an opportunity to show Drake games or enhancements off. Then release in early November with maybe MPR?

They could very well announce it last week August, just like the n3DS. It would also line up to be one week before their potential pre-TGS Direct, where they could use that as an opportunity to show Drake games or enhancements off. Then release in early November with maybe MPR?
Don’t think they will do that again because they could ‘afford it’ due to being a scaled release now a full global release probably would need as much time as possible plus imo it would be too close to Splatoon 3 release date (and it’s marketing)

The more i play Xenoblade Chronicles 3 , the more I really hope for a more beefy Switch to come within the next year , to see what Monolith Soft could do with all that extra power in the future

I've been saying for ages that the New 3DS is our best recent precedent

Switch Force is reporting on a Reddit rumor of a Switch Lite 5G model coming in 2023:

Normally I don't post these kinds of videos but hey it's been slow as shit lately so I figured I would share. Would laugh/cry if this is the only new Switch related hardware we get in 2023. God that would suck!

Switch Force is reporting on a Reddit rumor of a Switch Lite 5G model coming in 2023:

Normally I don't post these kinds of videos but hey it's been slow as shit lately so I figured I would share. Would laugh/cry if this is the only new Switch related hardware we get in 2023. God that would suck!

Any idea where the Reddit rumour is?

I already have enough with Switch OLED Lite posts pls 😭

Nope I don't have a Reddit account and he didn't post a link to the rumor so this video is the best source I have currently. If anyone else here can find a direct link to the Reddit rumor, feel free to share. :)
I found it, please know that the link in the Reddit post goes to 4chan. Here is the Reddit summary:

I think this is fake as hell to be honest.

Can't watch it right now but it seems to be originated as a 4chan post from someone who claims to be a former Nintendo employee.

Even a reddit rumor would be fairly unlikely but a random 4chan post is not even remotely worth discussion.

The "source" for that is literally just a 4Chan post. Describes a bigger screen but no information on the type of screen tech (OLED? LCD?).

5G on the 'budget' model bumping its price up by $50 but no 5G on the flagship hybrid models?

I've entertained many rumors of varying credibility but I'm not even going to pretend this is real.

Here's a screenshot, so nobody has to watch the video.

unknown.png

I found it, please know that the link in the Reddit post goes to 4chan. Here is the or a Reddit post:

I think this is fake as hell to be honest.

4Chan → Reddit → SwitchForce :ROFLMAO:

Anyway, I bet the price for a "Nintendo Switch Lite 5G" is definitely going to be more than $250, especially since Qualcomm loves to charge a premium for standalone 5G modems.

Don’t think they will do that again because they could ‘afford it’ due to being a scaled release now a full global release probably would need as much time as possible plus imo it would be too close to Splatoon 3 release date (and it’s marketing)
I don't think there is any problem releasing a Pro-level device around a game? Why would there be, if the game plays "better" on the hardware, just put them in every ad for each other? They way they just did with Dread?

I don't think there is any problem releasing a Pro-level device around a game? Why would there be, if the game plays "better" on the hardware, just put them in every ad for each other? They way they just did with Dread?
I was talking about announcing Drake really close to Splatoon launch, it is Nintendo’s own biggest release of the year so they will push it hard which makes it unlikely imo for them to reveal new hardware before it releases just due to the focus of Nintendo marketing team being on Splatoon 3 during late august

“Switch Pro shelved?!? Insider hints at grim future for eager Switch fans”

sorry
Considering my statement of not having a new statement to make regarding timing was turned into content... I such a thing that to happen.

Not sure how saying the timing remains the same as last year -- late 22/H1 23 -- is newsworthy.

Considering my statement of not having a new statement to make regarding timing was turned into content... I such a thing that to happen.

Not sure how saying the timing remains the same as last year -- late 22/H1 23 -- is newsworthy.
When outlets are making videos based on random 4chan rumors I think the term "newsworthy" has more or less lost all meaning.

I tried but I can’t do Xenoblade 3 on the current Switch. It definitely has slightly better IQ than 2 but it’s still not very good imo.

I now have the whole trilogy to play on the next console. Let’s hope they actually patch them 😂

I tried but I can’t do Xenoblade 3 on the current Switch. It definitely has slightly better IQ than 2 but it’s still not very good imo.

I now have the whole trilogy to play on the next console. Let’s hope they actually patch them 😂

I'm honestly not holding my breath that Nintendo will patch any Switch games with enhancements. Especially when they are selling remasters of Wii games at full $60 price. I wouldn't be surprised if even the top games like BOTW and Super Mario Galaxy, etc remain not patched. Really hope I'm wrong though but Nintendo sure does love to disappoint.

I beat this drum enough, but DE isn’t that much of a looker in the first place. Of all the games it’s the one that suffers the least from being on Switch, even with it’s low resolution. Just a thought in case you wanted to dig into one of them .

Not sure it means much. Somebody else can comment:

This is an opinion piece masquerading as a news report. And as far as the opinion goes, it's a pretty bad one at that.
  • First of all I'd encourage anyone interested to read the investor notification (machine translation is fine; it's not complicated).
  • Hosiden did not "withdrew" its FY03/2023 forecast due to forecasting "difficulties", but rather because the business went gangbuster in the APR-JUN quarter.
  • Their original forecasted sales for the APR-SEP half was 89 billion yen, but the actual sales for APR-JUN alone already reached 70 billion yen.
  • Thanks to the surge of sales, Hosiden needs to redo their forecast for the full fiscal year. It isn't ready yet—at this moment—due to the unsteady supply chain and exchange rate. The investor notice promised that a new forecast will be disclosed as soon as Hosiden has it ready.
    • Every company in this business has been citing the supply chain and exchange rate fluctuations in pretty much all their financial reports. Hosiden did the same when providing the original FY03/2023 forecast too. There's nothing out of the ordinary here.
  • To somehow frame this as a negative indicator for Nintendo, Mochizuki got his buddy Hideki Yasuda to provide the following gem (note that this is only in the Japanese article, but omitted in the English version):
    • Hosiden revised their APR-SEP sales forecast to 120 billion yen. Since the sales in APR-JUN was already at 70 billions, Yasuda surmised that the company is expecting to do 50 billion yen sales in JUL-SEP (120-70=50). A whopping 20 billion decrease in sales! Nintendo must be in trouble!
    • is-it-though.gif
    • Compared to the original APR-SEP forecast (89B), the new number increases by 31B (120-89=31), which seems to be the amount of excess sales over the original APR-JUN forecast. I don't think that Hosiden revised their JUL-SEP forecast at all, despite the positive APR-JUN result, and that should invalidate Yasuda's theory.
If I were inclined to spin this investor notice the other way around, I would've posited that Hosiden is withholding the FY forecast to help Nintendo to hide an upcoming new model. See, two can play that game.

new thread soon?
Most people are in favour of keeping this thread, so probably not.

Engineer - GPU Tools (NTD)​

DESCRIPTION OF DUTIES
  • Produces production-ready output with assistance and review from more senior engineers
  • Writes correct and clean code to defined specifications
  • Debugs code effectively within primary area
  • Responsible for triage of emerging bug reports, feature requests, and support inquiries
  • Implements functional requirements, use-case scenarios, design goals, and architecture for assigned development tasks
  • Implements established development workflow and systems and provides feedback
  • Effectively and proactively documents work
  • Collaborates with peer groups at Nintendo Co., Ltd. (NCL) and its subsidiaries
  • May assist with on-boarding new hires and/or participating in the hiring process
  • Up to 10% travel; domestic and international
SUMMARY OF REQUIREMENTS
  • 2-6 years related experience
  • Solid knowledge of embedded software/hardware design, application software design and emerging technologies
  • Solid knowledge of real-time interactive platform technologies or industry related trends
  • Proficient in C, C++, C# or equivalent
  • Fluency in Japanese a plus
  • BS or MS in engineering or equivalent
  • Valid passport may be required

Providing patches to older games will help them retain their price and evergreen status. Sure not every game will get them, but I can see BOTW and several others getting them within the first year.

Please read this staff post before posting.

Furthermore, according to this follow-up post, all off-topic chat will be moderated.
Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom