• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

StarTopic Pokémon Scarlet & Pokémon Violet |ST| Who You Callin' Paldea, Friend?

The drawings in the book weren’t something seen on the expedition, they were made up by the in universe artist as an imagining of what Area Zero creatures could look like.
So probably not, or we thinking it's possible still?
I mean obv, only time will tell but I'm thinking they are gonna morph

Flying Decidueye was announced as the next 7* Raid, starts March 17th: https://serebii.net/scarletviolet/teraraidbattleevents.shtml

Miraidon seems like the easy choice for this one.

Because I like wasting my time, I made this visualization of the potential upcoming 7* raids, assuming they hold to the current pattern of using transfer-only starters:
AkgGM2R.png

Seeing as the last few 7 stars all had status moves to match their Tera types (Rain Dance, Toxic Spikes, Bulk Up), I'm thinking they might give Decidueye Feather Dance as its fourth move to help it compensate for its weaker defensive stat. Maybe they'd pair that with Light Screen as the extra move to give it a defensive assist from the special side.

The main issue with Decidueye will be if it has SD or NP to boost, since there aren't a lot of good Clear Smoggers for this, though considering that Decidueye is a good candidate to go mixed, it'd be odd for it to set up on one side. Other options would be, like, Taunt and Confuse Ray

Seeing as the last few 7 stars all had status moves to match their Tera types (Rain Dance, Toxic Spikes, Bulk Up), I'm thinking they might give Decidueye Feather Dance as its fourth move to help it compensate for its weaker defensive stat. Maybe they'd pair that with Light Screen as the extra move to give it a defensive assist from the special side.

The main issue with Decidueye will be if it has SD or NP to boost, since there aren't a lot of good Clear Smoggers for this, though considering that Decidueye is a good candidate to go mixed, it'd be odd for it to set up on one side. Other options would be, like, Taunt and Confuse Ray
I was wondering if they might try Tailwind for Decidueye, but it's not very impactful in raid.

Nice to see them continue to mix up the format for the 7 star raids. Instead of an opener Decidueye has a turn 2 play of resetting buffs and Featherdance, and then Decidueye tosses out two Air Cutters and a Swords Dance after the shield goes up, and then proceeds to use two moves per turn after that.

Makes it a more difficult challenge for slower strategies (like the Slowbro strategies of the previous 7 stars), but Miraidon has a pretty easy and quick one shot strategy that essentially skips all the hard stuff.

I'm curious to see if/when they start having Legendaries in 7 star raids, and how difficult those will end up being.

Guess we're getting the OG forms of the Hisui starters, so Typhlosion will likely show up at some point. Kinda hard to tell what they'll do here, SD seems obvious but idk if they'd do that right after Decidueye had it, especially since they tend to go mixed for Pokémon that can do so. Set guess would be

Megahorn
Hydro Pump
Ice Beam
Drill Run

This set hits everything in the game for neutral damage at worst. Ice Beam is an obvious anti-air measure, lest you start theorycrafting about Dragonite. Sacred Sword would be a cool pick for the last slot, but then it couldn't break Toxapex. Air Slash would hit Tauros-A harder, but is otherwise too weak to be worth using over a resisted Megahorn or Hydro Pump. Samurott doesn't get any Bug-type status moves, and I don't think a mixed set gets SD for an extra move, so who knows what else it'll do. Taunt and Encore remain options to mess with people, or maybe it goes for a group debuff with Snarl or Icy Wind. Knock Off or Brick Break could be pretty annoying. Retaliate would be thematic for cherry blossom season, I guess.

There's a lot of options that could end up being decent here. Some neat ones that you probably haven't built yet, if you'd like a fun project:
  • Florges, with a 252 HP/140 Def/116+ SpD spread, usually avoids 4HKOs from Hydro Pump and Megahorn even from +Atk/SpA Samurott, and can run a Calm Mind/Stored Power set, or support moves like Pollen Puff, Light Screen, and Chilling Water. Outspeeds neutral-nature Samurott, so it can heal with Synthesis
  • Polteageist can Skill Swap its Weak Armor onto Samurott, letting physical attackers snowball over it. It can set up screens and gets Strength Sap for healing. Wants max HP/SpD investment for Hydro Pumps
  • Cloyster can support the team with Life Dew as well as with Light Screen and Chilling Water, and can shellfish for Def drops on a shield using Razor Shell. 4 Spe EVs let it outspeed neutral-nature Samurott. Wants max HP/SpD investment for Hydro Pumps
  • Walking Wake handles Megahorns reasonably well and can drop Samurott's attacking stats through its shield while also running Sunny Day+Flamethrower to roast it, though it unfortunately doesn't get a true boosting move to really go nuts
If you built a Water Absorber or Gastrodon for Greninja it'll probably work here, though it'll want to focus more on Def than SpD. If you're holding on to a Sylveon from the Charizard raid, that can also get a second chance. Corviknight's usually a good general support, and it'll hold up in this fight.

Is there anyone here playing competitive Pokémon SV? I find it very interesting, but it's a bit intimidating to enter the competitive scene. It would be great to have a thread for competitive, plus an introduction for beginners, with rules to follow, tips, recommended strategies, etc.

Is there anyone here playing competitive Pokémon SV? I find it very interesting, but it's a bit intimidating to enter the competitive scene. It would be great to have a thread for competitive, plus an introduction for beginners, with rules to follow, tips, recommended strategies, etc.
This thread is what you're looking for. It's not super active, but it does have some links to good resources.

How's everyone been enjoying the game since beating the Ace Academy?

Truthfully I'm wondering if there's much to do besides the 6 and 7 star raids or I'm just getting burnt out and need to take a short break until the DLC. I've already caught the Ruinous quartet and just filling out my dex little by little (shocked me that I had a Haunter but never caught a Gastly after 120 hours lol, and for some reason I cannot find a Slakoth to save my life)

A new Pokemon has been revealed for The Hidden Treasures Of Area Zero. I'm putting it in spoiler tags because it also appeared in the new anime, so if you plan on watching the anime, stay away!

I've been finding myself picking up Scarlet after (relative) completion less than any other game in the series bar BDSP. I really hope the DLC throws a curveball because I want to enjoy Paldea as much as I did Galar. Then again, the DLC in Gen 8 added a lot of value, so I'm hopeful.

So are we just never getting a performance patch for this game? Whatever happened to that?
Still scheduled for end of April, might not get a release date until next week, though

I'm sure it must be coming soon because I believe there was a glitch with the Walking Wake/Iron Leaves raids as well, so they're bringing those back for this month for people who only caught a bad egg and couldn't actually catch them

Still scheduled for end of April, might not get a release date until next week, though

I'm sure it must be coming soon because I believe there was a glitch with the Walking Wake/Iron Leaves raids as well, so they're bringing those back for this month for people who only caught a bad egg and couldn't actually catch them
This is not a performance patch, but another bug fix patch. Also it's coming tomorrow, that was announced today.

I don't think they're going to be patching the performance beyond the small tweaks we've already had.

This is not a performance patch, but another bug fix patch. Also it's coming tomorrow, that was announced today.

I don't think they're going to be patching the performance beyond the small tweaks we've already had.
Oh dang, goes to show how ootl I am haha, I must have missed that announcement

Still, shame that there aren't any more performance tweaks planned, but maybe they'll be included in the next patch for the base game when the first DLC is released

Oh dang, goes to show how ootl I am haha, I must have missed that announcement

Still, shame that there aren't any more performance tweaks planned, but maybe they'll be included in the next patch for the base game when the first DLC is released
Yeah, I think the DLC releases are the best chance we have of getting any larger performance updates.

At the very least, going by the SwSh DLC, any new areas they add will probably have better performance than the base game.

Does anyone know what the best strategy is for raids against Walking Wake and Iron Leaves? I missed out on getting them the first time because I had only just beaten the story and haven’t started on the post-game, and my Pokémon just aren’t high enough level for those super hard raids yet, but I don’t want to miss out on getting them this time…

Does anyone know what the best strategy is for raids against Walking Wake and Iron Leaves? I missed out on getting them the first time because I had only just beaten the story and haven’t started on the post-game, and my Pokémon just aren’t high enough level for those super hard raids yet, but I don’t want to miss out on getting them this time…
Walking Wake and Iron Leaves are 5 star raids, which means they're not too difficult (7 star is the highest difficulty).

The raid bosses are level 75, so you probably want to be around there or higher if possible. Joining random groups online should help as well, since a lot of the online player base will be using level 100s and can carry you through it.

For raids you generally want a bulkier Pokemon because surviving is more important than doing the most damage. Each death reduces the timer, and you lose the raid when the timer runs out.

These Pokemon are solid counters for each:

Walking Wake: Clodsire (Water Absorb), Miraidon, Iron Hands, Iron Leaves
Iron Leaves: Gholdengo, Kingambit, Scizor, Skeledirge

Walking Wake and Iron Leaves are 5 star raids, which means they're not too difficult (7 star is the highest difficulty).

The raid bosses are level 75, so you probably want to be around there or higher if possible. Joining random groups online should help as well, since a lot of the online player base will be using level 100s and can carry you through it.

For raids you generally want a bulkier Pokemon because surviving is more important than doing the most damage. Each death reduces the timer, and you lose the raid when the timer runs out.

These Pokemon are solid counters for each:

Walking Wake: Clodsire (Water Absorb), Miraidon, Iron Hands, Iron Leaves
Iron Leaves: Gholdengo, Kingambit, Scizor, Skeledirge
Thanks! I guess my main problem is that I don’t have Pokémon that high of level yet, lol, and the team I used throughout the main game are all Normal-type aside from my starter (Normal-type is kind of my thing, lol) and unfortunately they’re not that great for raids. =P I’ve been juggling so many other games that I haven’t spent enough time with Pokémon Scarlet, but these Paradox Pokémon are limited time only so I guess I’m gonna have to scramble to put together some good counters for them… ._.

WW is ez, Azumarill and Iron Hands can Drum on it and drop it in two hits

IL is annoying because it will SD on your allies and you won't see it, so it'll get to +6 and whack you with a neutral hit. Unaware Dirge is nice but that takes a Patch. King and Scizor probably want to stack Iron Defenses on top of SDs. You can run Defog on Corv or Scizor to wipe terrain, though it'll just come back up

Looks like they added little pokeball placeholder icons to the boxes while your Pokemon are loading in, so you can see which slots are empty. That's nice, I know I could have used that in the past lol.

Now that I'm going through Scarlet a second time without Persona 5 to distract me, I'm really enjoying taking my time with the exploration aspect of these games. Perhaps some of my earlier criticisms were too hasty.

Inteleon is next:

We're cruising through the starters now, I think just Chesnaught, Delphox, and Rillaboom are left for starters in the data. They could also do the Hisuian forms.

Pokemon Home compatibility was slated for "early"/Spring 2023.

Gonna hazard a guess that's getting delayed to coincide with the DLC.

Last year HOME updated on May.
I guess that's the new date instead of Bank's February.

Pokemon Home compatibility was slated for "early"/Spring 2023.

Gonna hazard a guess that's getting delayed to coincide with the DLC.
If we still don't have it by the end of May something has gone seriously wrong. I suspect the save bug may have delayed it a bit, but I'd be very surprised if it took longer than the (probably also delayed) amount of time it took last year.

They gave Inteleon Mist, which is another great adaptation. The push and pull of these 7 star Raids adapting to community strategies is quite fun.

I didn't play pokemon since emerald. Since when you can't explore most of the houses?
By the way, that Larry guy leader is awesome.

I didn't play pokemon since emerald. Since when you can't explore most of the houses?
By the way, that Larry guy leader is awesome.

Most of the houses probably since Sword & Shield, though the trendline became noticable with Black & White with its huge central city. Basically, as the requirement on graphical assets went up, the amount of explorable interior space went down.

You could enter many houses in Sword and Shield but their interiors were identical, so just not letting you enter them in Scarlet and Violet is a bit of logical progression.

I believe there were some unfinished interiors datamined, so it was probably simply cut for time.

Accidentaly threw my Beast Ball at Inteleon, only to find out it... actualy fits pretty well! More than the planned Dive Ball.

Inteleon was fairly easy mostly because it was actually kinda vulnerable to the general purpose Iron Hands build, unlike most of the 7-stars.

Supposedly the next patch for SV is coming out next week, according to Serebii:

The next patch for Pokémon Scarlet & Violet will release next week, between May 22nd and May 26th. This patch will fix an issue with competitions that affected the Japanese and Korean Qualifiers for their National Championships and the Pokémon World Championships causing players to be unable to see rankings, face against the same opponents repeatedly and be unable to exit out between battles. This patch comes ahead of repeat of these qualifying competitions on May 28th

Guessing it's not worth holding our collective breath for anything more substantial nor Pokemon Home compatibility

Supposedly the next patch for SV is coming out next week, according to Serebii:

Guessing it's not worth holding our collective breath for anything more substantial nor Pokemon Home compatibility
Pokémon Home support is mostly independent from any patches to SV. When it happens, it will be a patch to Home.

Well Scarlet went on sale on Amazon Canada for $56 CAD, which is a great deal, so after watching a few gameplay videos I decided to pull the trigger. I figure if it sucks I can easily offload it to someone for $50, so really no risk. Hoping it re-ignties some of those old Pokemon feels a little bit, it's been a long time. I know of all the technical problems and glitches and stuff but also don't really care, it looks fun from the gameplay I've watched.

Now that HOME is out, it's time to spend an hour bidding on auctions for all the Legendary form items, @_@

EDIT: Nice, I didn't know they gave Giratina a second item to properly mirror Dialga and Palkia now.

EDIT 2: It's a real shame they didn't add the Hisui balls to Scarlet and Violet, I liked their aesthetics.

Last edited:
It's a shame the raid bugs delayed all the raids, it would be nice to actually use this Arceus that's been sitting in my boxes for a decade now that I have a reason to.

Posting the news here since it's a long running distribution and folks who don't care about the DLC may still want it:

Until September 18th, 2023 you can put in the code GETY0URMEW and get a Mew with a random Tera Type in Scarlet and Violet.

Website for more details.

Back
Top Bottom