• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

Pre-Release Pokémon Scarlet and Violet — Pre-release Discussion Thread (UPDATE: new trailer, see threadmarks)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wow this looks graphically actually quite ok as a first impression trailer
But WTF Switch is gonna have an insane year software wise if Zelda and maybe a few other possible titles launch this year.

"Pokemon Scarlet Violet" is produced by Game Freak! A completely new Pokemon. This work is an open world. Please look forward to it!"

It has a fire crocodile. It's based on Spain, one of the best countries in the world. If it has the PLA mechanics it'll be the best Pokémon game ever made

FMnAZyHaUAU5ziB

Why are the player characters dwarfs?

Last edited:
I honestly would not have minded if Gamefreak took the rest of the year off and delivered us generation 9 next year, but hey, it's already looking better than Sword and Shield at least. Not that that's a high bar to clear...

Other thoughts:
  • Nintendo is determined to define 2022 as the year of overkill. Holy shit a mainline Pokemon on top of everything else they have coming up.
  • On a cursory glance it's taking the things I like from Legend. I like the aesthetic of the areas shown; the plaza with the type symbols looked rad. Is this supposed to be Pokemon Italy? Please educate my uncultured self. Now the question is how they marry that with the traditional mainline gameplay.
  • I actually rather like the names. The logo designs are a bit too plain, though.
  • After liking none of the gen 8 starters (first generation I benched a starter for my first run), I'm happy that the new starters have fun, derpy designs. That fire lizard man, giving me happy Totodile vibes. The grass cat and duck with the 'do are excellent too.
  • On the other hand, those protagonist designs are dreadful. Look at the posh schoolboy from some 90s cartoon.
  • Eww Stonjourner
The guys at GVG spotted a map of (I'm assuming) the Iberian Peninsula in both the live-action segment and in-game (player's room, I believe), so it's either Spain or Portugal this time.

The human caracteres look like Balan Wonderworld... Why did they change the usual style?

People really need to calm down about BotW 2. I swear someone at Nintendo breathes and people on the internet go "I BET THIS MEANS BOTW 2 IS DELAYED". Let's just wait for something to actually happen before we jump to conclusions.

Not trying to do a drive by, but I still don’t get how Game Freak is able to develop so many damn games. Like this is their 4th retail Pokémon game (or set of games) on the Switch and meanwhile EPD Tokyo has released one brand new title. Regardless, pretty cool they are building off of Arceus with the next mainline title.

Jeez, Pokémon fans can be pretty insufferable about visuals.

I really liked the look of the games. Maybe this will be the first gen I’ll skip the grass starter since gen 5. The fire one is so cute!

For as many folks there are in my same shoes that got back into the series with Arceus after a long hiatus, this is honestly very smart to follow-up so quickly. Let's just hope it isn't being rushed out the door.

Arceus was tempting, but I didn't pull the trigger on it. This may be the first time I play Pokemon again since gen 2.

Am I allowed to be smug after everyone told me no when I brought up Arceus takes the place of the GameFreak remake? :p

Nothing stops GameFreak, they make new gens every 3 years no matter what

The Pokemon Company really needs to calm down. I'm worried that Game Freak has to be crunching excessively to get this kind of output.

Not trying to do a drive by, but I still don’t get how Game Freak is able to develop so many damn games. Like this is their 4th retail Pokémon game (or set of games) on the Switch and meanwhile EPD Tokyo has released one brand new title. Regardless, pretty cool they are building off of Arceus with the next mainline title.
Well one of those was outsourced (BDSP), but still

At work so I can't rewatch the trailer right now, so can someone tell me: does it look like Pokemon battles still take place in the over world? Or will it go back to pre-Arceus style where you load to a different battlefield?

Textures on Lucario seem like they're closer to Pokken, with metallic shoulders and more fur detail. Hopefully Switch doesn't hold this back too much

People really need to calm down about BotW 2. I swear someone at Nintendo breathes and people on the internet go "I BET THIS MEANS BOTW 2 IS DELAYED". Let's just wait for something to actually happen before we jump to conclusions.

There was always going to be one family friendly game this fall added to the mix with BOTW2, Metroid Prime Remastered, Xenoblade Chronicles 3, & Bayonetta 3. I really thought it would be something from EPD #8, but it appears a mainline Pokémon will be that heavy hitter.

I think the trailer itself looked fine. Not really enough to go off of to say how the final game's visuals will look at all.

My main issue is just the timing. I'm against releasing this many games in close proximity to each other on principle, especially for a series like Pokemon which has a history of games that seemed like they would have benefitted from extra dev time.

I don't say that to be negative, really. I just think it is unlikely they release two heavy hitters in late 2022. But i wouldn't complaint at all if they do, i love both series (and xenoblade as well, come on 2022 is gonna be great)

I honestly thought they’d skip the mainline game this year since Pokémon Legends: Arceus came out in January, but colour me surprised. This seems too early, to be honest.

open world
Developed by GAME FREAK inc., Pokémon Scarlet and Pokémon Violet take a new evolutionary step in the Pokémon main series. Trainers can explore an open world where various towns with no borders blend seamlessly into the wilderness. Pokémon can be seen everywhere in this wide-open world—in the skies, in the sea, and on the streets.

As one of the main characters, Trainers will jump into the world of Pokémon Scarlet and Pokémon Violet to begin their adventure, where they will have a different outfit depending on which game they are playing. Trainers will then choose either Sprigatito, the Grass Cat Pokémon, Fuecoco, the Fire Croc Pokémon, or Quaxly, the Duckling Pokémon to be their first partner Pokémon before setting off on their journey.

After their release, Pokémon Scarlet and Pokémon Violet will be able to link with Pokémon HOME, a service that allows Trainers to keep their entire Pokémon collection in one place. By linking these games with Pokémon HOME, Trainers will be able to have Pokémon from other regions adventure alongside them in Pokémon Scarlet and Pokémon Violet.

Alright, I’m actually excited for this as opposed to Sword and Shield. Starters look great! Really pleased to see Swablu/Altaria in these games. I also really like the environmental design of the new region, which seems to be inspired by Spain. My only concern is the environmental design for the big city. It’s not very convincing to me somehow.

I’m over here analyzing screen shots looking for items off the beaten path. Those berry trees look promising but a part of me is only slightly worried within towns. Can I step into the grass and over those little fences?

I must have a problem cause I really don't get the complaints about the graphics. Arceus already looked fine and this looks gorgeous, far better than Arceus. I'm absolutely floored by how much GF has upped their game since SwSh, they're on fire.

The starters are cute

The player characters are ugly like omg

The visuals are terrible.

There’s zero indication of gameplay style

I can get past bad graphics, but it’s gonna have to be PLA: Tropical Paradise for me or I’m out like I was with swsh
I wish i never bit on sw&Sh. You avoided a bullet basically

PL:A is a great new direction for the series, but this seems like it's coming way too soon afterwards to fix any of the major issues that game has, let alone iterate on the design in interesting ways

cool duck, tho

This is why I took a break from BDSP and Arceus. If I have avoid Pokemon burn-out, I can only hope Game Freak is holding out better.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom