• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

StarTopic Nintendo General Discussion |ST4 Jan. 2022| Resurrections

The next Switch model will be called...

• Nintendo Switch 2

Votes: 40 23.5%
  • Nintendo Switch Pro

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • Nintendo Switch 4k

Votes: 13 7.6%
  • Nintendo Switch U

• Nintendo Switch +

Votes: 11 6.5%
  • Nintendo Switch Max

Votes: 3 1.8%
  • Nintendo Switch Up

• New Nintendo Switch

Votes: 5 2.9%
  • Nintendo Switch Advance

Votes: 11 6.5%
  • Super Nintendo Switch

Votes: 53 31.2%
  • Nintendo Switch Super

• Nintendo Switchxty Four

Votes: 4 2.4%
  • Nintendo Switchcube

• Nintendo Swiitch

• Nintendo Change

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Nintendo Modify

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Nintendo Adjust

Votes: 2 1.2%
  • Nintendo Wii U 2

Votes: 6 3.5%
  • Other (Please specify)

Votes: 7 4.1%
  • Switch Plus

Votes: 5 2.9%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
main-qimg-ab7d49e0ec38fa972c7031364eb2fcd3-lq

Had dreams… Two of ’em. Both had Nintendo in them. It’s peculiar. I've been living with Nintendo for most of my life. So, in a sense, we've grown up together.

Anyway, the first one I don’t remember too well but, it was about meetin’ Nintendo on the Treehouse somewhere and it gave me nothing but a Bakugan trailer. I think I lost it.

The second one, it was like we was both back in 2015 and I was waitin' to see whether the Wii U had games to help us through the droughts of that long night. I was goin’ onto Youtube to see the Direct there. The chat was cold and there was speculation on the ground, and then Nintendo started streamin' past us and kept on goin’. Never said nothin’ goin’ by – just streamed on past. And it had its Muppet Skits and Reggie memes wrapped around its announcements and its head down. When it streamed past, I seen it was carryin’ hype in a horn the way E3s past used to do, and I-I could see the horn from the game inside of it – the Breath of the Wild. And in the dream I knew that it was goin’ on to the Switch ahead and it was fixin’ to make some fire games somewhere out there after all the Animal Crossing: Amiibo Festivals and all those Chibi Robo: Zip Lashes. And I knew that whenever I got there, it’d be there.

And then I woke up.

Sitting waiting for car maintenance and getting hungry for tacos round-up edition!

I am very excited for Kirby. I always wanted to get into the series, but I’ve only ever played the first two games. I’d expended what little remains of my mental energy into manifesting a March release date, and I’m glad to see it paid off, with an awesome trailer to boot. This will be my first game purchase of 2022 and I think it’ll be the perfect start to what is shaping up to be a perfect year (at least as far as gaming is concerned)

La La Land has an awesome soundtrack. This past summer a friend of mine did an arrangement of the epilogue music and we got to play it in an orchestra concert with a bunch of other great film and video game music.

Also good luck with your Japanese studies! Learning a language is no easy feat, and I applaud your determination.

I'd love to hear the La La Land arrangement if it's available to watch or listen somewhere. Thanks for the well wishes with my Japanese studies. 😄

If you end up wanting to try more Kirby games after Forgotten Land, I recommend checking out some of the off-the-beaten-path entries like Mass Attack, Canvas Curse and Epic Yarn. 🧶

@Nabbit I like the fact I can switch to to where I can keep going until I lose in a puzzle completely vs just deaths so that's nice for these rouge type of games. If you unlock the canon for the level it lets you just jump back to that level if you want as well, so that's nice but I wouldnt always do that. It's been fun so far but can get chaotic at times.

Thanks for the impressions! I definitely think I'd be using the 'try till you lose the puzzle' method. I've played zero hours for video games this year and just started TWEWY (and a working through Celeste post-game).. At this rate I should get to the game some time in 2024. 😆

So has anyone made the decision that they're not going to watch any more BotW2 trailers?

I think I might actually do that this time. I'm not as hyped for BotW as I want to be and I think that intentionally limiting my exposure to the game will make me finally getting my hands on it that much more exciting. That and the original game had practically all its cutscenes shown in trailers so it'd be nice to not have that happen again :p

Same here! I'm doing it for Kirby too. I usually go on media blackout after an initial trailer and then I try to avoid all subsequent media if I know I'm planning to get the game. It's so muc more fun to me to not know what to expect going in. It just gets a little tricky navigating forums and such trying to stay on media blackout. But I figure seeing a detail here or there is better than seeing additional trailers and still keeps me relatively unspoiled. This generally keeps my hype engines at full throttle.

I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again:

I love Color Splash, I want it on the the Switch, and I liked the writing even better than Origami King.

I also have no problem fighting a boss until a midpoint, losing or leaving, and using the clues within + clues in the world and story to find an item to turn the tides of the rematch. Which is, frankly, most of the boss fights.

I know people hated that, but I’m super into it. It feels like… idk, an old anime rival arc? “You couldn’t possibly defeat me” shit, but by putting the pieces together and making a side journey, you figure out how to subvert their most powerful attack and go for the rematch! With all the “BESTED BY A MERE PLUMBER?!” camp. The dialogue even changes a bit on the rematch! It’s built for it!

And it’s not like the subversion puzzling instantly defeats them — you still have to pace yourself and win the battle after that!

and the cards? I never found myself lacking them — they’re all over, and it makes exploring more fun for me. I like that if you’re not prepared, you’re not out when things get hairy — you spin the wheel, hope for the best, and make it work. People seem to hate chance in games like this, but I think it makes the tension a lot more interesting. The skill isn’t just knowing how to fight everyone — it’s also focused on preparation, exploration, and adaptability.

Plus remembering something else that would help you out in a situation or open a door feels kind of like… weird parallel… Myst. There are clues and weird objects and the mental math / notes make the adventure feel more like finding your way with a little more ownership.

If you have a way to try Color Splash and haven’t due to the negative perception of it, I implore you to give it a go. Don’t come in with your expectations of what Paper Mario is supposed to be — just play it with fresh eyes, as its own thing. It’s the kind of game that just keeps getting better, too — after the first boss, it started settling in, and I liked everything after that more and more.

Sorry for the rant. I just really enjoyed it!

I support this rant. Color Splash is a wonderful and under-appreciated entry in the Mario RPG series of games. The exploration and interactivity with the world and characters was really charming and memorable to me.

First thing I did in any game was mute anyone but party chat. The only Gen that Nintendo had that I felt absolutely needed voice chat was Tri-Force heroes. Could never tell if people were inept or trolling. But that game worked great as a single player puzzle game.

I basically never got to play that game with friends, so I had to play online with randos. There was some weird satisfaction trying to convey puzzle ideas/solutions with only eight emotes lol.

I really want a new multiplayer Zelda game on Switch…

Same here. I have to say I really enjoyed using the emotes. Like Barely Able said, it was tough to deal with trolls and to even tell if people were trolling. But I found it super satisfying to endure the surprisingly tough levels and make it through as a team. Luckily playing at launch there were a lot of good players around, even a month or two later there were more trolls about for sure.

still haven't played Zip Lash :(

Same! And that's the whole reason I got the 3DS NFC reader. I think there are some levels locked behind it or something. It was all worth it for the amiibo though. One of my faves.

Hot take: I shamefully enjoyed Chibi Robo Zip Lash.

I did buy it just for the amiibo though.

It's not shameful if you enjoyed it! I'm still interested in playing it. I suspect much like Yoshi's New Island there's plenty to like there.

WOOOAAAH WHAT THE HECK WHY HAVE I BEEN SLEEPING ON CELESTE FOR THIS LONG!? I can already tell I'm gonna love this game more than I expected 🤣

I also love that the game sounds happier with every strawberry that I find hehehe; it's goading me on to find more!!

It's always so satisfying to see someone start Celeste for the first time. Enjoy! It just gets better and better as it goes on.

Alright, I'll be less subtle. We're about to drop a nice donation to AGDQ, turn in soon if you can!

Edit: If they withhold reading the donation, we'll be sure to post the receipt for you all to see.
Edit 2: Here you go

unknown.png

Wonderful! Go Fami! 🎉🎉🎉

Well, I have officially survived 33 orbits around the nearest star.

It was a big year; on the one hand, it has challenged me immensely and brought great stress and anxiety, but on the other, it also brought someone truly wonderful into my life and ended 7 years of being single. Also, I joined Famiboards, which has so far been a big plus; thanks again for being so welcoming, you folks are awesome. ;)

Spending the day relaxing as much as I can and talking with friends online. Will finish off Uncharted 3 later today, then thinking of revisiting Yoshi's Crafted World next for some chill vibes or Monster Hunter Rise because it's more addictive than oxygen.

Happy belated birthday! Yoshi's Crafted World is the perfect game for those chill vibes. I hope we get to see Good-Feel's next project soon.

Sheik and Link's interaction and music are eternal.

For real. It randomly pops into my head all the time.

Ah, okay. That's a great choice. Majora's Mask is probably my favorite ALTTP-formula Zelda, too. Though it's hard to tell because last time I got super triggered at the Anju sidequest. I could not for the life of me figure out how I was supposed to know to go back to his house at like a random time to talk to the shop owner, which made me use a guide and kind of ruined the fun. Maybe I missed some text or something though, probably just me being stupid.

In general I kind of like it when Zelda focused on worldbuilding and sidequests rather than constant dungeoning, with maybe the exception of OoT. So Majora's Mask is a pretty special game.

I totally understand your frustration there and for the record I really don't think you were being dumb. I think the original MM is pretty obtuse in terms of tracking the NPC schedules. That's the main reason I preferred the 3DS version. The Bomber's Notebook has some great QoL improvements IMO. Regardless any version definitely has some obtuse parts, especially in that particular sidequest. And I say that as a huge fan of the game.

I beat Ocarina last year actually, 3ds version

I bought the 3ds initially thinking about Pokémon but ended up playing Samus Returns, Ocarina 3d and SMT IV first. Worth it :p

I bought the Majora's Mask remake but have yet to start it, I'm playing some stuff on my Switch first
Looks like there's some mixed feelings about this remake, I wonder if I should wait for original version to drop on Switch instead. But the 3ds version will probably be more pleasant to play due to the QoL stuff :p

See my post above, but just for me personally, I think MM 3D's pros outweigh its cons and for me it's the best version and the one I recommend.

As a 1989 kid who grew up with the SNES and N64, I honestly still feel young rather than old as a gamer because there's whole generations I wasn't even around to take part in; the age of Pong and its derivatives, or the Atari 2600 and its competitors.

And in the grand scheme of things, with people living longer than ever, I doubt there are many on this forum who are truly old, and if there are, big respect to you, it must have been fascinating seeing how much the world has changed in your time. It frankly amazes me even in my early 30s the progress that technology and society have made just since I can remember.

On the flipside, those who are growing up now are doing so amidst a gaming landscape that I could only dream of at your age, and you have access to decades of rich history as well, so your experience is equally valid and awesome.

Basically, whatever your age, treasure the unique perspective you have been given by the time you were born into; there is no one golden age of gaming, we each live our own. :)

Well said! I'm in a similar boat to you. There are still so many games before and during my time that I'd love to play.

Had a dream I was playing a 3D DK game again. This time I was playing as Dixie in a Hothead Bop style level dodging lava dripping from above while gliding in the air.

Then I woke up. 😔

Sounds like a nice dream! And it reminded me of a section of Rayman 2, which I just played for the first time in 2020. If you haven't played it, I definitely recommend it. It holds up so well. And the focus is on course-based 3D platforming. I really loved it as a 2D DK and Rayman fan.

Sitting waiting for car maintenance and getting hungry for tacos round-up edition!

I'd love to hear the La La Land arrangement if it's available to watch or listen somewhere. Thanks for the well wishes with my Japanese studies. 😄

If you end up wanting to try more Kirby games after Forgotten Land, I recommend checking out some of the off-the-beaten-path entries like Mass Attack, Canvas Curse and Epic Yarn. 🧶

Thanks for the impressions! I definitely think I'd be using the 'try till you lose the puzzle' method. I've played zero hours for video games this year and just started TWEWY (and a working through Celeste post-game).. At this rate I should get to the game some time in 2024. 😆

Same here! I'm doing it for Kirby too. I usually go on media blackout after an initial trailer and then I try to avoid all subsequent media if I know I'm planning to get the game. It's so muc more fun to me to not know what to expect going in. It just gets a little tricky navigating forums and such trying to stay on media blackout. But I figure seeing a detail here or there is better than seeing additional trailers and still keeps me relatively unspoiled. This generally keeps my hype engines at full throttle.

I support this rant. Color Splash is a wonderful and under-appreciated entry in the Mario RPG series of games. The exploration and interactivity with the world and characters was really charming and memorable to me.

Same here. I have to say I really enjoyed using the emotes. Like Barely Able said, it was tough to deal with trolls and to even tell if people were trolling. But I found it super satisfying to endure the surprisingly tough levels and make it through as a team. Luckily playing at launch there were a lot of good players around, even a month or two later there were more trolls about for sure.

Same! And that's the whole reason I got the 3DS NFC reader. I think there are some levels locked behind it or something. It was all worth it for the amiibo though. One of my faves.

It's not shameful if you enjoyed it! I'm still interested in playing it. I suspect much like Yoshi's New Island there's plenty to like there.

It's always so satisfying to see someone start Celeste for the first time. Enjoy! It just gets better and better as it goes on.

Wonderful! Go Fami! 🎉🎉🎉

Happy belated birthday! Yoshi's Crafted World is the perfect game for those chill vibes. I hope we get to see Good-Feel's next project soon.

For real. It randomly pops into my head all the time.

I totally understand your frustration there and for the record I really don't think you were being dumb. I think the original MM is pretty obtuse in terms of tracking the NPC schedules. That's the main reason I preferred the 3DS version. The Bomber's Notebook has some great QoL improvements IMO. Regardless any version definitely has some obtuse parts, especially in that particular sidequest. And I say that as a huge fan of the game.

See my post above, but just for me personally, I think MM 3D's pros outweigh its cons and for me it's the best version and the one I recommend.

Well said! I'm in a similar boat to you. There are still so many games before and during my time that I'd love to play.

Sounds like a nice dream! And it reminded me of a section of Rayman 2, which I just played for the first time in 2020. If you haven't played it, I definitely recommend it. It holds up so well. And the focus is on course-based 3D platforming. I really loved it as a 2D DK and Rayman fan.
Love me a long post that quotes a dozen people along the way 💜

Just beat it three days ago actually. It was always a childhood game that I never got around to completing. Despite some jank here and there, it's just another example of why Rayman is Ubisoft's best franchise. Shame how far the series has fallen. Ubisoft too, I might add.

In regards to the poll, a friend of mine named his daughter Zelda. His wife has never even played a Zelda game, but she really liked the name and agreed to it. The daughter has since gone as Wind Waker Zelda for Halloween.

Okay, FINE! I admit it! I'm a fraud! I'm not a true Nintendo fan. I've never.........I've never played Rusty's Real Deal Baseball for the Nintendo 3DS family of systems, released on August 8, 2013 in Japan, April 3, 2014 in North America, and May 28, 2014 in Korea. I'm sorry for betraying the trust you all placed in me. 😢

Okay, FINE! I admit it! I'm a fraud! I'm not a true Nintendo fan. I've never.........I've never played Rusty's Real Deal Baseball for the Nintendo 3DS family of systems, released on August 8, 2013 in Japan, April 3, 2014 in North America, and May 28, 2014 in Korea. I'm sorry for betraying the trust you all placed in me. 😢
I can't believe you haven't played Rusty's Real Deal Baseball for the Nintendo 3DS family of systems, released on August 8, 2013 in Japan, April 3, 2014 in North America, and May 28, 2014 in Korea.

I'm fairly certain that's a bannable offense

I can't believe you haven't played Rusty's Real Deal Baseball for the Nintendo 3DS family of systems, released on August 8, 2013 in Japan, April 3, 2014 in North America, and May 28, 2014 in Korea.

I'm fairly certain that's a bannable offense
I also haven't played Rusty's Real Deal Baseball for the Nintendo 3DS family of systems, released on August 8, 2013 in Japan, April 3, 2014 in North America, and May 28, 2014 in Korea, but luckily I will suffer no consequences because I live in The United States Of America where we have all the freedom and the only things that are illegal are affordability and women.

Last night
I had a dream about you
In this dream
I'm standing right beside you
And it looked
Like you're a kind of stinky horse
I kind of felt
A little underwhelmed

I'd like more eShop games from Nintendo this year, especially from outside their usual IP or as new takes on classic IP. 2019 was very exciting getting new Boxboy, Tetris 99, Cadence of Hyrule, and The Stretchers.

Morekyloren.gif

I'd like more eShop games from Nintendo this year, especially from outside their usual IP or as new takes on classic IP. 2019 was very exciting getting new Boxboy, Tetris 99, Cadence of Hyrule, and The Stretchers.

Morekyloren.gif

I'd take a new Donkey Kong Jungle Climber eShop title as appetizer for MonkEPD 😌

Why was E3 cancelled?! I love that time of the year…
They confirmed the physical isn’t happening. But the digital is kinda in the air. Although it wouldn't be a take to say that companies won't pay for the middle man. It's like you or me to pay someone to send an email.

Can't wait for the whole, BOTW 2 isn't coming this year from May until June.
We're already in that particular furrow and it's only January. No doubt, if Zelda is absent in the next Direct, that'll be interpreted as proof the game isn't coming this year.

Nah, the best conversations will be "Is Nintendo going to show and 2023 games this June?"

Never fails.
We're already in that particular furrow and it's only January. No doubt, if Zelda is absent in the next Direct, that'll be interpreted as proof the game isn't coming this year.
It will be worst by then, unless Nintendo shows and dates it in Feb. Although, the goalposts will change to, "they can still delay it" if the Summer plans aren't clear.

So has anyone made the decision that they're not going to watch any more BotW2 trailers?

I think I might actually do that this time. I'm not as hyped for BotW as I want to be and I think that intentionally limiting my exposure to the game will make me finally getting my hands on it that much more exciting. That and the original game had practically all its cutscenes shown in trailers so it'd be nice to not have that happen again :p
I didn’t watch any of the trailers for BoTW because I had taken a 4-5 year break from consoles. So when a friend showed up with a Switch and BoTW, I was like…ok this is looking like the game that’s going to get me back into console gaming (and also back into Zelda since I never liked any of the 3D Zelda games after LTTP). Everything was brand new to me in BOTW.

Not sure if I’ll have the same discipline this time. I’m hyped.

With E3 cancelled we'll probably not see a June Direct

which means get ready for the July Partner Direct!
War flashbacks to Era circa 2020...

Guess this will be our community's first real test of fire walking 🙃 Buckle up. At least with hindsight Nate knows well enough to not to tease any Direct even if he does hear of one lmao

So does my interpretation of Happy Game's story make sense?

The whole game is basically a drug addled nightmare that the older version of the MC has while he's currently overdosing from something (presumably antidepressants?) and in the end he dies from the overdose?

Basically the game is about him trying to deal with trauma from his childhood but succumbing instead to his addiction to antidepressants which are basically represented by the smiling demon.

People were saying Halo Infinite was going to get delayed a month before release. At this point, BOTW 2 could be released and in people's Switches and they would still say that BOTW 2 is going to get delayed.

My brother and I speedran New Super Mario Bros. Wii today. We died twice in the final battle but it was fun and we finished in about 48 minutes and 4 seconds, which is probably less time than it’s ever taken me to beat a game.

Just came in from shovelling my driveway to find out our office had a power outage and that I can’t remote into my work computer so I can’t do any work.

What’d I miss?
Digital E3 likely not happening. I also bought age of calamity for $40 because I have an addiction…

Tested positive for Covid on Saturday morning…being confined to my bedroom and bed all I can say is, thank God for my Switch.

Went back to BotW….man I still love this game so much, completely ruined all other open world games for me pretty much.
Hope you feel better.

Hope you feel better.
Thanks!

It’s super weird…it ebbs and flows, like right now I just feel like I have a really bad head/chest cold. Yesterday now, I had the worst 2 hours of my entire life where my temp got over 103…🤷🏻‍♂️

Hanging in there though.

Tested positive for Covid on Saturday morning…being confined to my bedroom and bed all I can say is, thank God for my Switch.

Went back to BotW….man I still love this game so much, completely ruined all other open world games for me pretty much.
Feel better soon!

Touching on the snow topic, I live very close to Syracuse, New York, so feet of snow is unfortunately a very common occurrence for approximately 6 months of the year. I actually prefer apartment living around here...driveways would be brutal lol

Asking again-

Does anybody know any good free video editors? Like, the type of thing I can use to edit lava into videos of my kids playing the floor is lava?

Get better soon

rarely do the words "good" and "free" coincide

I've tried OpenShot and it seems okay, Shotcut is well reviewed

I wish I knew of more, I've always just used iMovie lol

Asking again-

Does anybody know any good free video editors? Like, the type of thing I can use to edit lava into videos of my kids playing the floor is lava?
Comping lava into a video like that would be a lot. More than free software would probably allow. You'd have to track the floor, mask any children/furniture, etc.

Same! Wife and kids all had it last week, and was thankfully mild for them. Me however… it’s kicked my butt the last couple of days, but I think I’m just starting to round the bend, as I have a bit more energy today than the last couple of days.

Hope you feel better.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom