• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

StarTopic Nintendo General Discussion |ST4 Jan. 2022| Resurrections

The next Switch model will be called...

• Nintendo Switch 2

Votes: 40 23.5%
  • Nintendo Switch Pro

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • Nintendo Switch 4k

Votes: 13 7.6%
  • Nintendo Switch U

• Nintendo Switch +

Votes: 11 6.5%
  • Nintendo Switch Max

Votes: 3 1.8%
  • Nintendo Switch Up

• New Nintendo Switch

Votes: 5 2.9%
  • Nintendo Switch Advance

Votes: 11 6.5%
  • Super Nintendo Switch

Votes: 53 31.2%
  • Nintendo Switch Super

• Nintendo Switchxty Four

Votes: 4 2.4%
  • Nintendo Switchcube

• Nintendo Swiitch

• Nintendo Change

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Nintendo Modify

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Nintendo Adjust

Votes: 2 1.2%
  • Nintendo Wii U 2

Votes: 6 3.5%
  • Other (Please specify)

Votes: 7 4.1%
  • Switch Plus

Votes: 5 2.9%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
As someone who started playing video games in the mid 90s, it’s always weird to me to think of people who started much later than that. Nintendo has such a huge legacy library that is probably daunting if you didn’t grow up with it.
Same. I remember it feeling daunting after I played Link's Awakening and discovered that I had missed Zelda 1, Zelda II, AND A Link to the Past!?!?!?!? How will I ever catch up? Now for people starting with Breath of the Wild, it seems like far too much to ever catch up on.

Last edited:
The game makes it abundantly clear early on that combat isn't the way to go (it feels really unsatisfying mechanically). Outside of bosses the combat system isn't that punishing, especially with a controller, and I say that as someone who generally doesn't like bullet hell games.

I also botched the first run but I think it's really intended for you to kill in your first 20-30 minutes with the game. Otherwise, the whole theme behind the game is pointless.
I love that about Undertale. How the tutorial isn't really over until you accidentally kill Toriel, start a new new, rush through the opening, and then Flowey calls you out on it. You learn there that the game remembers what you do and that's the final lesson of the tutorial.

And of course the game sets you up to mess up that way. Toriel tells you that sometimes you have to fight monsters a little bit before you can spare them, and so you try that with Toriel but suddenly you take a huge chunk of health off at the end.

Though the game gets away with it by technically giving you hints on how to spare Toriel with the hidden Froggit telling you that you sometimes have to spare multiple times (I think it was hidden) and Toriel having more ellipses the more you try to spare her.

Love the game.

No Metroid Prime? No Pikmin? Would anyone else like to admit what games they haven't played? In fact, we'll turn it into a game. In this post, I will include the full character select screen from Smash Ultimate. Look through it and list every series represented that you have not played a single game from. Note that I am asking for series, not character. For example, Ness and Lucas are in the game. If you have played Earthbound but not Mother 3, that's fine, you've still played a game in the series. Also, if you've played Earthbound Beginnings but not the other two games, that's also fine. (There was a brief period of time where that was the case with me as I played all of the Mother games in release order.) Though you can also include individual characters' games if you want as that could be fun.

Anyway, looking at the picture below, the other series I have not played are:
1. Street Fighter
2. Banjo
3. Tekken

Also, my only experience with ARMS and Splatoon are playing their network tests.

As for individual characters' games, I have never played Kid Icarus: Uprising, so I haven't played a game with Dark Pit in it, other than Smash of course.

SSBU_Character_Select_DLC.jpeg
Damn, going by this list, I have no experience with:
  • Ice Climbers
  • Dr. Mario
  • Fire Emblem
  • Kid Icarus
  • Metal Gear Solid
  • R.O.B.
  • Mega Man
  • Final Fantasy VII
  • Castlevania
  • Persona
  • Banjo Kazooie
  • Dragon Quest
  • Fatal Fury
  • Minecraft
  • Tekken
  • Kingdom Hearts
As depressing as this list is and should probably warrant the revocation of my gamer card, a weird amount of these had greater popularity on PlayStation consoles and I didn't enter the ecosystem until PS4.

Yeah I'm curious about that too.

Here's the remaining list of confirmed post-launch games for N64 NSO. I'm wondering if Nintendo will release Kirby 64 before or after "The Forgotten Land".
  • Mario Golf
  • Pokemon Snap
  • The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask
  • F-Zero X
  • Kirby 64: The Crystal Shards
So we do have a vague idea of what's coming to N64 NSO soon.

zeopXrotcq9QqZv1wY-W4wDrbY4m-XJh2bcdqCr7GfU.jpg
I am fairly certain we're probably gonna have to wait until all of the N64 games they announced for NSO are available before they announce the next slate of games.

If they continue the one game a month pattern they seem to have going, we should have them all by August this year, right in time for the September/Fall Direct where they'll probably announce the next batch of N64 games for the service.
Honestly, I never even considered the possibility that the games they listed as coming are exactly what's coming between now and August. Like yeah, I would have hoped that Kirby 64 would release in March alongside KatFL, or that Super Smash Bros 64 would be available (with subpar, unappealing, and frankly shitty online) well before the end of the year, especially given there are no licensing issues to consider with any of those dozen characters, but if the release schedule is just dating what they've already announced back in November 2021 on a monthly basis...

Christ Nintendo, always one step forward and two steps back.
~~~
As an aside I realize I may have woken up in a foul mood today after having some friends bail on me yet again so maybe I should just stay off the internet as a whole today.

Talkin about Dinosaurs. Why is there no real good Dino- Game on Switch? ( Jurassic World Park Simulator looks kind of okay i guess...). Where's my Alien Isolation- like, but with Dinosaurs???
I think this is just one of those games I've always been yearning for but never quite got. Dinosaurs? Park builder. You want to shoot dinosaurs? It's on-rails. You want to shoot dinosaurs in free roam? Top down isometric shooter.

That VR Jurassic Park game looks cool but I still have my hesitancy about most VR games being more tech demos than actual products.

I think this is just one of those games I've always been yearning for but never quite got. Dinosaurs? Park builder. You want to shoot dinosaurs? It's on-rails. You want to shoot dinosaurs in free roam? Top down isometric shooter.

That VR Jurassic Park game looks cool but I still have my hesitancy about most VR games being more tech demos than actual products.
Heard Jurassic World Evolution is fine for what it is. But personally, I more wanted a 3D Open World or Sandbox Exploration- Survival- Horror Game with Dinosaurs ;-)

Heard Jurassic World Evolution is fine for what it is. But personally, I more wanted a 3D Open World or Sandbox Exploration- Survival- Horror Game with Dinosaurs ;-)
Honestly same, I agree completely haha. Maybe one day the Jurassic Park license will be used for something meaningful in its thriller/horror genre before it goes into hibernation after the Dominion movie

I beat Ocarina last year actually, 3ds version

I bought the 3ds initially thinking about Pokémon but ended up playing Samus Returns, Ocarina 3d and SMT IV first. Worth it :p

I bought the Majora's Mask remake but have yet to start it, I'm playing some stuff on my Switch first
Looks like there's some mixed feelings about this remake, I wonder if I should wait for original version to drop on Switch instead. But the 3ds version will probably be more pleasant to play due to the QoL stuff :p

Just finished Chapter 6 of Paper Mario. It was my favorite so far. I enjoy the “fetch questy” type of puzzles that the flower fields and toy chest bring. Those are definitely my two favorite parts so far.

Oh shit blender has a built-in video editor? Is it any good if anyone's used it before?

Seeing so many people missing out on games makes me feel old.

I’ve played so many stuff over many years and platforms

There's probably some truth about Donkey Kong being very similar to Mario, in 2D and 3D, and this overlap is what's causing DK to be sidelined. But I also think this overlap is to Donkey Kong's benefit, to some degree, because you can target the same audience the way Yoshi and Kirby can also count on a "baked in" audience on Nintendo platforms. As close as Rare's platformers were to the template Nintendo had established, they still set themselves apart in many ways without making them feel samey and Retro did it again with their take on DK.

Fun build but tricky to pose
IMG_4557.jpg

IMG_4559.jpg

IMG_4558.jpg

Not sure what I’m building next, probably Cybuster, Getter Devolution or Dragon. Tho got some mini painting to finish first

Now time for some gaming, back into hardcore mecha I go. Was thinking of doing a poll with the shorter backlog games for the heck of it

As someone who started playing video games in the mid 90s, it’s always weird to me to think of people who started much later than that. Nintendo has such a huge legacy library that is probably daunting if you didn’t grow up with it.
As someone who started playing video games in the mid-80s:
🧓

Speaking of the 80s actually, I've been going through a bunch of stuff in storage that I haven't touched since I was a kid, and lookie what I found:
tEHj9ad.jpg

Yep. The first console I really got into was the Wii, but I didn't really have or enjoy many campaign-oriented games at the time. I didn't really get into gaming as a self-identified 'hobby" till I got a 360 a few years later, and even then I didn't get into Nintendo again till the Wii U (which may hae been a piece of crap, but had some great games).

It really, really, really is daunting. Pretty much half the games I play every year are classics that I am convinced just about everyone else has already played.
Same. I remember it feeling daunting after I played Link's Awakening and discovered that I had missed Zelda 1, Zelda II, AND A Link to the Past!?!?!?!? How will I ever catch up? Now for people starting with Breath of the Wild, it seems like far too much to ever catch up on.
I started with Wind Waker HD in 2015, my greatest shame is not finishing it once I got to the Triforce Quest. Since then I've played A Link Between Worlds, Majora's Mask, Ocarina of Time, Breath of the Wild, Link's Awakening, Zelda 1, and most recently Skyward Sword (thanks to the HD version). I want to get to Zelda II, Minish Cap, & the Oracle games soon. Gonna just wait for any future port of WW or TP, tho.

So I don’t stay super up to date on Nintendo rumors but I was hearing podcasts talk about a casual game for H1 2022 and that it’ll have mixed responses. Is Nintendo dropping 3, 4 Switch this year?

It really, really, really is daunting. Pretty much half the games I play every year are classics that I am convinced just about everyone else has already played.
Well, as demonstrated earlier today, no one on this Nintendo enthusiast forum has played anything ever. 🙃 When I was younger and playing older games to catch up, I had the same thought as I played them and it bothered me, though not enough to actually hurt my enjoyment. Now when I play older games, I kind of enjoy that so few other people are playing them. I don't know why, I've just changed over the years.

Last edited:
Kids who played Angry Birds back in 2009 at age 9 are 20 years old now, and definitely posting on this site about how much they miss the Wii. This is one of their "oldschool gaming" memories.

Sorry fellow olds, but Angry Birds is a retro classic now.

no-will-smith.gif

No Metroid Prime? No Pikmin? Would anyone else like to admit what games they haven't played? In fact, we'll turn it into a game. In this post, I will include the full character select screen from Smash Ultimate. Look through it and list every series represented that you have not played a single game from. Note that I am asking for series, not character. For example, Ness and Lucas are in the game. If you have played Earthbound but not Mother 3, that's fine, you've still played a game in the series. Also, if you've played Earthbound Beginnings but not the other two games, that's also fine. (There was a brief period of time where that was the case with me as I played all of the Mother games in release order.) Though you can also include individual characters' games if you want as that could be fun.

1. Street Fighter
2. Banjo
3. Tekken

Also, my only experience with ARMS and Splatoon are playing their network tests.

As for individual characters' games, I have never played Kid Icarus: Uprising, so I haven't played a game with Dark Pit in it, other than Smash of course.

From this list, I’ve got no experience with

• Metroid Prime 2
  • Earthbound
  • Ice Climbers
  • Every Fire Emblem except Awakening
  • Game & Watch
  • Kid Icarus
  • Pikmin
  • R.O.B.
  • Wii Fit
  • Bayonetta
  • Persona
  • Dragon Quest
  • King of Fighters
  • ARMs
  • Minecraft

Oh right, Pokemon Snap was confirmed for NSO. I almost forgot about that.

If you told me 5 years ago we'd have a new Pokemon Snap, I would've laughed at you.

Then proceed to :(

1. Street Fighter
2. Banjo
3. Tekken

Haven't played: Minecraft, R.O.B.-adjacent games, Wii Fit, Bayonetta
Played briefly/occasionally: Xenoblade, Duck Hunt, King Of Fighters, Tekken, Pikmin, Ice Climber, Punch-Out, Dragon Quest
Played several games but never finished any: Fire Emblem, Street Fighter

1. Street Fighter
2. Banjo
3. Tekken

That'd be the following for me:
-star fox--earthbound--dr mario--game & watch
-metal gear solid--sonic--rob--wii fit--lil Mac
-kid icarus--street fighter--final fantasy--bayonetta--tekken--kingdom hearts--
dragon quest--persona--fatal fury--
castlevania--Banjo Kazooie
That's quite some games, but I plan on playing most of them. It's just that many of those series are currently missing Switch entries.

1. Street Fighter
2. Banjo
3. Tekken

Biggest games I still want to play through/beat:

-Zelda Windwaker
-Metroid Prime 2/3
-Pokemon Platinum
-Final Fantasy X
-Final Fantasy Tactis
-Xenogeaers
-Vagrant Story
-Ico
-Shadow of the Collosus

Franchises I've never beaten a game in:

-Mega Man
-Wario Land
-Sonic
-Diablo
-Earthbound/Mother
-Dragon Age
-Shemnue

That game list was a lot longer two and a half years ago. Like, a lot longer. Sometime in 2019 I decided that I wanted to dedicate more gaming time to playing through classics and scratch as much off the gaming bucket list as possible. I am pretty proud with what I have accomplished so far!

Now I feel like a bigger nerd

I’m guessing people haven’t played Gameboy games like James Bond 007, Wario Land II, or PlayStation/multi platform games like Soul Reaver or Vagrant Story?

To think, when Metroid Prime came out, some users here were pooping their diapers and when Metroid Prime Remaster comes out this year, those same people will still be pooping their diapers.

Speaking of Metroid Prime and feeling old, Kevin Penkin, an anime composer who has become more recognized in the past few years, said that that the Phendrana Drifts music in Metroid Prime was one of his musical inspirations. He's 29 but it's weird to think about that one of the games you played as kid is an inspiration for someone's career.

There will be people who qualify to get their drivers license this year that weren't alive when Wii Sports came out.
I can wrap my head around the Wii being the first console and first gaming experience for people that are adults now, but this blows my mind.

Wii was the first console... I bought entirely with my own money.

Also the first (and last) console I queued for on launch day.

Biggest games I still want to play through/beat:

-Zelda Windwaker
-Metroid Prime 2/3
-Pokemon Platinum
-Final Fantasy X
-Final Fantasy Tactis
-Xenogeaers
-Vagrant Story
-Ico
-Shadow of the Collosus

Franchises I've never beaten a game in:

-Mega Man
-Wario Land
-Sonic
-Diablo
-Earthbound/Mother
-Dragon Age
-Shemnue

That game list was a lot longer two and a half years ago. Like, a lot longer. Sometime in 2019 I decided that I wanted to dedicate more gaming time to playing through classics and scratch as much off the gaming bucket list as possible. I am pretty proud with what I have accomplished so far!

What are some of the games you're most proud of beating since 2019?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom