• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

StarTopic Nintendo General Discussion |ST19 April 2023| A tradition unlike any other

Status
Not open for further replies.
Had to look at a walkthrough for PIkmin, where I found out you can throw Pikmin on enemies' backs. In my defense, my copy of Pikmin didn't come with the manual.

Why does the Switch come with a dock?

Because of all the ports.
bravo-applause.gif
applause.gif

It’s frustrating there isn’t even one of them on Switch. Just seems like a missed opportunity that the smaller Nintendo eshop games mostly disappeared. Really glad we have Box Boy and Part Time UFO at least.
Yea, this stuck out to me as well going through the eShop closure on the 3DS. But this kinda started with the Wii U. I suspect part of it is the cost of HD development, but also Nintendo really needing to seed content in the DSi, Wii, and 3DS shops to attract people to use them. I think with indies adopting Nintendo’s platforms starting with Wii U there’s less of a need for Nintendo and their partners to make smaller things for the eShop but it does suck. IntSys was one of the more prolific WiiWare/DSiWare devs and it feels like they’re basically a Fire Emblem factory now.

Regardless, bless HAL.

(I have been wondering recently if we’ll see Nintendo make a lo-fi system again just so there’s a space for experimental projects but I think that’ll only happen with a novel form factor that requires lower power than the Switch.)

Yea, this stuck out to me as well going through the eShop closure on the 3DS. But this kinda started with the Wii U. I suspect part of it is the cost of HD development, but also Nintendo really needing to seed content in the DSi, Wii, and 3DS shops to attract people to use them. I think with indies adopting Nintendo’s platforms starting with Wii U there’s less of a need for Nintendo and their partners to make smaller things for the eShop but it does suck. IntSys was one of the more prolific WiiWare/DSiWare devs and it feels like they’re basically a Fire Emblem factory now.

Regardless, bless HAL.

(I have been wondering recently if we’ll see Nintendo make a lo-fi system again just so there’s a space for experimental projects but I think that’ll only happen with a novel form factor that requires lower power than the Switch.)
Yeah it probably is ultimately a mix of HD making even smaller projects more complex and the never ending stream of games the Switch eshop has meaning there’s less need for them to exist. I’ve been finding this topic in general more on my mind lately not just because the shops are closed, but also with the release calendar a total mystery outside of the next three games.

It's also a four day weekend for me, so it's sports-watching, job applications, starting the first Wheel of Time book, and making some headway in Chained Echoes. Neat.

Yeah it probably is ultimately a mix of HD making even smaller projects more complex and the never ending stream of games the Switch eshop has meaning there’s less need for them to exist. I’ve been finding this topic in general more on my mind lately not just because the shops are closed, but also with the release calendar a total mystery outside of the next three games.
I think I've said this in the past, but it really does feel like with Switch Nintendo has gone from the goofball in the classroom to the straight-laced businessperson. There's a noticeable amount of their quirkiness filed down right now and while it's successful, I really do miss the DS/Wii era of experimentation, joy, and delight. Some of that era does live on but I dunno. We're in year 6 of the Switch, they're probably gearing up for new hardware, but the only new IP this generation is ARMS, Labo, and Ring Fit and those were all over 3 years ago.

the only new IP this generation is ARMS, Labo, and Ring Fit and those were all over 3 years ago
Poor 1-2 Switch, swiftly forgotten...

(I'm assuming you meant EPD developed here, since we did get stuff like Snipperclips, Good Job, Astral Chain, etc)

The Mario Movie talk is in The Roost
Hey folks, just a quick announcement: We've moved the Mario Movie review thread to The Roost, and unlinked the the Mario Movie ST from The Treehouse. From now on, all discussion about the Mario Movie will take place in The Roost. That goes for any future Nintendo movies and TV shows as well. Thanks!

Honor Among Thieves was great. The most fun I’ve had with one of these pulp adventure movies in ages. Hope they make another one.
I haven’t seen it myself yet, but one of my friends that I grew up playing tabletop rpgs with has been raving about it along the lines that ‘it was evocative of how much silly fun a great D&D campaign with friends is, with massive battles and stupid jokes and rivalries and metacommentary and back stories, perfect fit for it even if people think all fantasy needs to be grimdark and oh-so-serious’.

As such it’s on my list to see, I like fantasy that doesn’t take itself too seriously.

(I'm assuming you meant EPD developed here, since we did get stuff like Snipperclips, Good Job, Astral Chain, etc)
That’s a good point, I forgot about the Nintendo published indies! Although I think that goes to my earlier point about them not needing to do as much work in-house now.

From now on, all discussion about the Mario Movie will take place in The Roost
Man, I don't think I'll even get to catch Mario Movie in theaters. Ditto for John Wick 4 and the DnD movie. Sad all around.

That’s a good point, I forgot about the Nintendo published indies! Although I think that goes to my earlier point about them not needing to do as much work in-house now.
I don't think they can do more work in-house even if they wanted to, HD game dev just takes up too many resources. They did do some hefty internal expansion but the results from that are probably at least five years out.

Bad news: living in a cute old house is finally biting us, as the pipes are starting to go bad.

Good news: we called a plumber today to check it all out and the dude showed up in blue coveralls and a red cap.

I am not joking.
Lol. Guy is tuned into the cultural landscape. genius move from getting mindshare.

A Game & Watch style offering added to NSO would be a delight

put little developer projects up like Jump Rope Challenge was during Covid, something similar to the Playdate

for anyone that’s been following the game I’m making, Grögol Bonanza, or any of the music I’ve made for it… I finally got my Bandcamp together!

right now it’s all three-song EPs as fake in-game bands, but if that kind of thing appeals to you…

Hidden content is only available for registered users. Sharing it outside of Famiboards is subject to moderation.

also posted with a bit more detail in the music thread!

https://famiboards.com/threads/share-your-music-thread.2395/post-634008

now to make a fake band with “Monster” in the name so I can get my ass sued by an energy drink company…

Last edited:
Bad news: living in a cute old house is finally biting us, as the pipes are starting to go bad.

Good news: we called a plumber today to check it all out and the dude showed up in blue coveralls and a red cap.

I am not joking.
The online reviews he gets be like: 5 stars; plumbing's his game and he is not like the others who get all the fame.

The online reviews he gets be like: 5 stars; plumbing's his game and he is not like the others who get all the fame.
My sink was in trouble, I called him on the double, he was faster than the others and now I'm hooked on... this one dude

I haven’t seen it myself yet, but one of my friends that I grew up playing tabletop rpgs with has been raving about it along the lines that ‘it was evocative of how much silly fun a great D&D campaign with friends is, with massive battles and stupid jokes and rivalries and metacommentary and back stories, perfect fit for it even if people think all fantasy needs to be grimdark and oh-so-serious’.

As such it’s on my list to see, I like fantasy that doesn’t take itself too seriously.
That is a perfect description of the movie really. If that description appeals to you, you're most likely going to enjoy it.

Four day weekend over here. Kinda sad that Americans don't get Easter off considering that they're more religious than my country is and we get two days.
Religion, family, friends, these are the three demons you need to slay to become successful in business. /Simpsons reference.

Capitalism doesn't care about holidays. My job for example is open 24/7 365 days a year. If you're scheduled to work that day you work that day. Even if you're sick and have a doctor's note you'll still be penalized and be disciplined. Not as severe as without a doctor's note but still disciplined.

Four day weekend over here. Kinda sad that Americans don't get Easter off considering that they're more religious than my country is and we get two days.
Depends where you work honestly. I have it off personally but many of my friends don’t.

Dropping in to say hi/I miss this place. Came back from vacation to work being on fire so no time to Fami. Hope everyone is well <3

I remember growing up that they'd usually schedule "teacher workdays" or the like at school and give kids either a 3 or even 4 day weekend for Easter. Of course that doesn't really help the parents since very few businesses have those days off at all.

Official holidays kind of suck in the US in the spring, since after President's Day (early February) there's literally nothing until Memorial Day which isn't until late May. We need more random holidays.

I remember growing up that they'd usually schedule "teacher workdays" or the like at school and give kids either a 3 or even 4 day weekend for Easter. Of course that doesn't really help the parents since very few businesses have those days off at all.

Official holidays kind of suck in the US in the spring, since after President's Day (early February) there's literally nothing until Memorial Day which isn't until late May. We need more random holidays.
I just want the holidays to be recognized on the closest Monday or Friday for everything. I schedule people for field work and Wednesday holidays suck for that. Everyone would rather have consecutive days off. Let’s make Fourth of July on the Monday or whatever. Christmas on the 23rd, sure, if I get 3 days off guaranteed.

Deleted my save on Pikmin and started a new one because I'm a perfectionist. I got 2 Parts on Day 2, so I'm actually AHEAD of schedule, AND I now have 4 parts.

Once you know what to do and how to do it efficiently, Pikmin actually isn't that hard.

Deleted my save on Pikmin and started a new one because I'm a perfectionist. I got 2 Parts on Day 2, so I'm actually AHEAD of schedule, AND I now have 4 parts.

Once you know what to do and how to do it efficiently, Pikmin actually isn't that hard.
I found even when I first played on GameCube that I was about 9 days or so ahead of schedule. Things really open up when you get all the Pikmin and figure out the routing. That’s the fun of the game though I feel. Seeing how much you can get in a day and trying to increase that in subsequent play throughs

I just want the holidays to be recognized on the closest Monday or Friday for everything. I schedule people for field work and Wednesday holidays suck for that. Everyone would rather have consecutive days off. Let’s make Fourth of July on the Monday or whatever. Christmas on the 23rd, sure, if I get 3 days off guaranteed.
We should do this + just go ahead and make Black Friday a national holiday as well, give everyone a four-day weekend. Nobody likes having Thanksgiving off and then having to work the next day before the weekend. And tons of businesses already do it anyway, officially or unofficially.

Of course while we're at it maybe we should work on making Black Friday less of a complete and utter hell experience for retail workers, too

We should do this + just go ahead and make Black Friday a national holiday as well, give everyone a four-day weekend. Nobody likes having Thanksgiving off and then having to work the next day before the weekend. And tons of businesses already do it anyway, officially or unofficially.

Of course while we're at it maybe we should work on making Black Friday less of a complete and utter hell experience for retail workers, too
We have BF as a state holiday here. We call it Native American Heritage Day. I honestly don’t know if that’s a paid holiday for everyone or just a government holiday though.

On the retail front, it seems to at least be coming back around somewhat as a lot of big box places seemed to have stopped 6PM Thursday openings. Online and the early launch of sales (plus the cyber week stuff also) I think has helped. I don’t go usually on BF unless it’s a normal retail time and make sure the tipping goes up too. Can only imagine how some people are treated that day.

Kinda feeling tempted to revisit mass effect. Only played the first one a decade ago. And the collection is on sale for $15, tho the file size sucks and is major bloat(wish I could download one game at a time)…. Hm. Kinda tempted by Kakarot on Xbox too

Just got out of John Wick 4. Awesome movie but why do people go to the theater if they’re going to text on their phones the whole time. You can do that shit at home and save $20-$30.
Same reason when i go to concerts and see people buried in their phones. Some people don't want to unplug, ever for such a short time. It's dumb and annoying.

Love John Wick 4. One of my favorite action films of all time.
For real. This is my old man yells at cloud moment. Everyone has seemingly forgotten concert/theatre etiquette, or hell even public transit etiquette.

I went to see 65; I didn't enjoy the movie, but it wasn't helped by the fact this kid next to me left his phone in the cupholder at maximum brightness the entire time. At least he wasn't on it, but guy...turn it off. Don't get me wrong, I'm guilty of watching concerts through a screen, but also...who are you texting after you've spent hundreds of dollars on Ticketmaster service fees that you're not even paying attention to the show you're at?

And lastly, the source of my ire are those fucking assholes who play their music on subway cars and buses. Kids and adults. Just put on your goddamn headphones or get a pair of cheap ones, no one wants to hear your shit music on shit speakers. This is not about to turn into a flash mob of dancers, you're just gonna get mobbed.
for anyone that’s been following the game I’m making, Grögol Bonanza, or any of the music I’ve made for it… I finally got my Bandcamp together!

right now it’s all three-song EPs as fake in-game bands, but if that kind of thing appeals to you…

* Hidden text: cannot be quoted. *

also posted with a bit more detail in the music thread!

https://famiboards.com/threads/share-your-music-thread.2395/post-634008

now to make a fake band with “Monster” in the name so I can get my ass sued by an energy drink company…
Monster: The Litigious Energy Band!

Perfectionism will be the death of you before all your Pikmin 😋 But truly that encapsulates what makes the gameplay loop so addicting. Once you find the efficiencies and maximize, then you can really start cutting down how many days you need to escape the planet. I think my usual average is around 11 or 12 days

For real. This is my old man yells at cloud moment. Everyone has seemingly forgotten concert/theatre etiquette, or hell even public transit etiquette.

I went to see 65; I didn't enjoy the movie, but it wasn't helped by the fact this kid next to me left his phone in the cupholder at maximum brightness the entire time. At least he wasn't on it, but guy...turn it off. Don't get me wrong, I'm guilty of watching concerts through a screen, but also...who are you texting after you've spent hundreds of dollars on Ticketmaster service fees that you're not even paying attention to the show you're at?

And lastly, the source of my ire are those fucking assholes who play their music on subway cars and buses. Kids and adults. Just put on your goddamn headphones or get a pair of cheap ones, no one wants to hear your shit music on shit speakers. This is not about to turn into a flash mob of dancers, you're just gonna get mobbed.

Perfectionism will be the death of you before all your Pikmin 😋 But truly that encapsulates what makes the gameplay loop so addicting. Once you find the efficiencies and maximize, then you can really start cutting down how many days you need to escape the planet. I think my usual average is around 11 or 12 days

I'm kind of tempted to delete my save and start another new one, just to see how much more efficient my run can be.

I deleted my previous save because I wasn't sure how to get a Part and I didn't want to go a day without getting at least one.

The fact that we actually get a Birdie Wing game makes me soooo happy! This gen has been so good to fans of golf games like myself!

I'm kind of tempted to delete my save and start another new one, just to see how much more efficient my run can be.

I deleted my previous save because I wasn't sure how to get a Part and I didn't want to go a day without getting at least one.
As tempting as it is, I would strongly consider at least finishing one save first, whether it's to run out of 30 days or get all parts with only a few days to spare. Helps to get a feel for all the enemies you encounter first because you'll need to get a good understanding how to dodge their attacks effectively haha

As tempting as it is, I would strongly consider at least finishing one save first, whether it's to run out of 30 days or get all parts with only a few days to spare. Helps to get a feel for all the enemies you encounter first because you'll need to get a good understanding how to dodge their attacks effectively haha
I'm ahead of schedule since I got 2 Parts on Day 2, so going 1 day without getting a Part isn't going to set me back that much.

I'm ahead of schedule since I got 2 Parts on Day 2, so going 1 day without getting a Part isn't going to set me back that much.
I also encourage just keep on going through. I think you will find that you are going to get some days soon where you will be getting 4 plus items but also some set up days as you learn. I imagine you’ll have 10 or so days to spare by the end of your getting multiple off the bat. Now I’m getting excited for Pikmin 4

I also encourage just keep on going through. I think you will find that you are going to get some days soon where you will be getting 4 plus items but also some set up days as you learn. I imagine you’ll have 10 or so days to spare by the end of your getting multiple off the bat. Now I’m getting excited for Pikmin 4
I should be fine if I go one day without getting a Part?

Nintendo conquering Box offices now.

Might be the start of something interesting
Zelda movie from the creative talent behind Puss in Boots The Last Wish. I'm salivating at the idea, but nah, we're just gonna be stuck with Illumination because life is cruel

Last edited:
I should be fine if I go one day without getting a Part?
When I played Pikmin 3 on my WiiU I was a some good number of days in and had some doubt on one part, when I went to check on some guide, I found out I was so many days behind in progress than the guide suggested it didn't even make sense in my head how the hell that happened.

I guess it depends where, but should be good. Once you get all the Pikmin types, it shouldn’t be hard to get 4 or 5 items in a day at some places if you have your routes down.
Sometimes, you have to sacrifice a day clearing out a path so you can get the Part you want tomorrow.

There are few things that annoy me as much as someone busting out their phone and blasting music or even worse random Youtube videos at full volume in public spaces, like a cafeteria or coffee shop or something (worst is on an airplane, thankfully that usually gets cracked down on).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom