• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

StarTopic Nintendo General Discussion |ST19 April 2023| A tradition unlike any other

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cos it's divine.

zgqy5sd8f1c51.jpg

Anyone expecting an Indie World showcase this month? Don’t we usually get one in Spring?
They seem to be switching to two presentations per year instead of three. That’d make it May again, but April isn’t impossible by any stretch. They certainly could just focus on Mario and Zelda this month with a brief mention of Advance Wars.

SpletTeam Nessie won the Splatfest but rasslin' Cody Rhodes lost Wrestlemania. What sweet sorrow.
Their desire to delay catharsis until nobody cares anymore continues to confound. That was the moment!

Would be neat to have that Bravely Default remaster turn in to reality soon..ish.

Some time September would be sweet

Everyone is excited for Zelda news or Mario movie.

I’m here super excited for Fire Emblem Engage DLC tomorrow, bring on the Fell Dragon 🫣

I'm still making my way through the main story although I think I'm near the end. I've been splitting my time between it and some other games. I've accepted that I won't beat Octopath II by the time Zelda comes out but I want to finish Fire Emblem and Metroid Prime before then. I think I'll save the Engage DLC for later, maybe as an inbetween break while playing Zelda.

I'm still making my way through the main story although I think I'm near the end. I've been splitting my time between it and some other games. I've accepted that I won't beat Octopath II by the time Zelda comes out but I want to finish Fire Emblem and Metroid Prime before then. I think I'll save the Engage DLC for later, maybe as an inbetween break while playing Zelda.
I barley beat engage a little over a week ago. I thought I would be burned out. But the final battle was rather refreshing compared to Engage’s last few chapters. It was sorta built as a “rush” chapter and narratively a bit somber (heh) that I was left wanting to play more.

I still need to return to Octopath. But I’m now waiting on Megaman Battle Network collection which will take all of my time and then Zelda will probably be my next game lol. Which is a shame since I’ve been excited to play Octopath 2 for a while now

I thought I'd be done with Chained echoes last week so I'd be all for engage before TotK, buuut I got bit of sick and got a little tired to play, so I did not play anything. I'll try to do it this week....

Honestly, this could work. Move set would be pretty easy to make from the moves in the game (and air zonk stuff)
I wasn’t even thinking about an actual character but any of the supplemental content like stickers, spirits, trophies, etc.

But yea, what sparked this was an old early 90s games magazine issue that had a cover with Mario, Sonic, and Bonk fighting it out in a boxing ring 😄 Total Smash Bros bait in hindsight.

Also poor TG-16, dropping out of the market and having to put out a final Bonk platformer on the SNES

I mean, I'd argue that over the last 10 years Microsoft made more interesting and better games than Sony ; and that Sony paying a lot of money so that other games never, ever, hit other systems and/or the Game Pass could also be considered "choking us with all their money"
It was just for the sake of being sarcastic. I hate the console war and I own an xbox series S myself, on which I spent more time than on my switch in recent months.

On a more serious note though, and speaking strictly from my personal experience, it’s true that what made me want to buy my xbox was its very competitive price more than Microsoft’s first party games. This does not prevent me from loving many of their games, but I think that a lot of people can be, like me, mainly attracted by the very aggressive rates practiced by Microsoft (inclusing the very attractive and aggressive offer that is the Game Pass).

So yes I must admit that it is sometimes difficult to resist the temptation to gently mock Microsoft and its systematic use of the checkbook. For example my first reaction when you talked about the games was to want to tell you that my favorite Xbox game is the new version of donkey Kong that they were able to develop thanks to the acquisition of Rare. That said, not being a big fan of Microsoft as a company does not prevent me from finding the Xbox consoles absolutely great and taking a lot of fun. I don’t think it’s compelling to say that probably there are more people that buy a Nintendo console primairly to be able to play Mario or Zelda than people buying a Microsoft console primarily for their exclusive games.

Pre-orders for the Zoled went live today here in Europe. Was late but snagged one thanks to the preregistration on My Nintendo.

April 3rd Question of the Week
Question of the week

What was the first Mario game that you ever played?

This week we finally see the Mario film get a release! For the vast majority us, Mario has played some sort of a roll in our video game lives. Whether you have played one game or fifty, it is almost impossible to play video games for long enough and not run into Mario.

My answer: Super Mario Bros

World_1-1_Super_Mario_Bros.png

I have said it before, This is literally the first memory that I have in my life. I was two at best. I didn't know my numbers or the alphabet, but that blue screen burned a hole into my brain and it never left. This may not have been the game that hooked me for life, but it certainly started that path for me.

So what say you, Fami?

Question of the week

This week we finally see the Mario film get a release! For the vast majority us, Mario has played some sort of a roll in our video game lives. Whether you have played one game or fifty, it is almost impossible to play video games for long enough and not run into Mario.

I have said it before, This is literally the first memory that I have in my life. I was two at best. I didn't know my numbers or the alphabet, but that blue screen burned a hole into my brain and it never left. This may not have been the game that hooked me for life, but it certainly started that path for me.

So what say you, Fami?
I'm reasonably sure it's the same for me, I must have been 4 or so. I think I played it at my cousin's house and was completely transfixed by it. I needed my own video games. I ended up getting a SNES with Super Mario World for Christmas when I was 5, and that sealed my fate; I was completely obsessed with video games.

First Mario game I ever played was SMB in the double pack with Dunk Hunt on NES. I remember playing with my dad in our rental home before we moved the one I grew up in. Not my earliest memory but close to it.

Question of the week

So what say you, Fami?
I have a very similar memory to this, around the same age! One of the first things I can remember, and I have no idea why this is burned into my memory, is toddling down the hallway into the living room where my dad and older sister were playing SMB. I'm fairly certain I was still in diapers at the time, so it's a very hazy memory, but definitely my first Mario game as I played it as well not long after that.

My project is getting so large that it's slowing down my 500GB external SSD, so I had to upgrade to get a 2TB SSD with 1000MB/s read and write, hopefully that works better.

It's amazing how quickly game development files can balloon.

Also SMB on the dual cart. I never got much past 1-3 as a wee one, Not even sure I finished the game until I got it on 3DS!

Super Mario Bros was the first Mario game I played and I hated it. I pretty much switched over to Duck Hunt and only wanted to play that. Eventually I got to try SMB3 and that's when Mario games really clicked for me. To this day I don't really like playing SMB. lol

When site activity goes down, Segaboards will finally learn what really killed off Sega's console business: font styles.

Looks like Advance Wars physical is already sold out on US Amazon? Wonder if it'll have supply problems too. I can't imagine the demand is that high but who knows.

Honestly can't remember the absolute first, but I think it's most likely Super Mario 64 DS or the first NSMB. At least those are the first I can remember playing. Before that I honestly couldn't say.

Super Mario World was probably the first Mario game I ever played. I played it at daycare or a Best Buy kiosk probably.

My first was Super Mario Land with SM64 right after.

I remember seeing SMB2 some time after for the first time at a friend's house thinking "how is he playing Game Boy games on the TV?" not realizing there were home consoles before the N64 and PS1.

my first mario was super mario bros deluxe on the game boy color!
nintendo decided to make that one much harder to google a few years ago but it is pretty good

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom