• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

StarTopic Nintendo General Discussion |ST19 April 2023| A tradition unlike any other

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's been a long time since I played this part in LTTP, but is the Ice Palace supposed to take forever to find the Dungeon Map? 'cause I was exploring it for like 10-15 minutes until I finally found the damn thing. I can't recall any other Zelda dungeon where I found the compass before the map. It kinda works in its favor though because navigating that labyrinth of a dungeon is a lot more tense without a map. When the Stalfos Knights fall from the sky it's terrifying.

Also there's one room with a big spike enemy that slides towards you that I am fairly certain is impossible to avoid taking damage on unless you have the invisibility cape (an optional item).

Last edited:
It's been a long time since I played this part in LTTP, but is the Ice Palace supposed to take forever to find the Dungeon Map? 'cause I was exploring it for like 10-15 minutes until I finally found the damn thing. I can't recall any other Zelda dungeon where I found the compass before the map. It kinda works in its favor though because navigating that labyrinth of a dungeon is a lot more tense without a map. When the Stalfos Knights fall from the sky it's terrifying.

Also there's one room with a big spike enemy that slides towards you that I am fairly certain is impossible to avoid taking damage on unless you have the invisibility cape (an optional item).
I’m going from memory but that sounds correct to me. The Ice Palace is brutal, one of the toughest Zelda dungeons from what I remember of it (it’s been a while). I was stuck on the block puzzle there forever as a kid.

Once you've stepped into the developer side it becomes an interesting problem. One example I can think of is I have a whole bunch of separate asset packs that all have a "refractive eye" material which uses like 4-5 different textures. Something I didn't know at first is that all of those eye materials in each asset pack is actually identical, but since they came in separate packs they're all treated as different materials and textures.

So I could free up a ton of space by simply using one of them as the base material and having each other one reference that, but it's an extraordinary pain in the ass to change that after the characters are all done and all use their individual materials the way it was set up.

It's totally something I'll do before release but it'll be a major undertaking.
This is a classic case of "I understand but I don't like it".

I’m going from memory but that sounds correct to me. The Ice Palace is brutal, one of the toughest Zelda dungeons from what I remember of it (it’s been a while). I was stuck on the block puzzle there forever as a kid.
Surprisingly I was able to beat it without much trouble, it's just that once you start exploring you have that sinking feeling of "oh god I'm in so deep where do I go ahhhhh." But if you trust your gut and keep pushing on you'll be fine. The block puzzle is definitely a mindscrew though, feels like a cheat to force the player to backtrack, but other than that the dungeon wasn't too bad.

Just got a Tempered Sword and now it's off to Misery Mire. I only ever beat LTTP as a kid playing with my brother, all my attempts to beat it on my own later stalled out (the last one being like 15 years ago...!) but now I'm on a roll and feeling good about it.

Don‘t know if it tastes better, but I‘m surprised.
GBQiIzm.jpg

I played and finished Majora's Mask on the weekend which made my brother try it as well for the first time and he gave up after Snowhead because of the Gold Dust sidequest.

I think I might have to disavow him.

I played and finished Majora's Mask on the weekend which made my brother try it as well for the first time and he gave up after Snowhead because of the Gold Dust sidequest.

I think I might have to disavow him.
Yeah I usually give them my sword while I'm in the temple. I play until I get the fire arrows then unfreeze the powder keg goron then get certified. The hookshot really changes that dungeon.

Yeah I usually give them my sword while I'm in the temple. I play until I get the fire arrows then unfreeze the powder keg goron then get certified. The hookshot really changes that dungeon.
Yeah, there's some really cool ways you can play the game if you know what you're doing. If you're playing it for the first time, however, I can see it be a bit disheartening to find out that you have to do segments multiple times to finish a questline in one cycle. But that's also kind of the appeal to me.

The time management aspect of MM is probably my favorite thing about it so I don't mind having to make a schedule for it, but it's definitely a roadblock that is hard to overcome if you're expecting a more traditional Zelda game. I never really sequence break for the Gilded Sword though, too much trouble for me.

Yeah, there's some really cool ways you can play the game if you know what you're doing. If you're playing it for the first time, however, I can see it be a bit disheartening to find out that you have to do segments multiple times to finish a questline in one cycle. But that's also kind of the appeal to me.
I usually do a prep cycle once I'm hylian, then start on Swamp's setup. I get up to the dungeon and depending on how much time is left try to finish that dungeon. Part of my setup is having a bomb bag, bunny hood, Great Fairy's mask, try for 4-5 hearts.

Who has two thumbs, is way too obsessed with Nintendo, and just came back all clear marking three years cancer free?
This guy.

kirby-wave.gif

Nintendo doing a new game every other month this year is kinda funny and I'm wondering if they stick to it; in which case, we'd only have a couple more new games in September and November.

Ugh! The block puzzle! Wasn’t as bad as I remember last time I played though, but certainly the hardest puzzle in the game.

when does nintendo usually allow preorders to be downloaded?
I usually don’t get their games digitally, but I think they come available to download a week before release. This is also when you finally are charged for the game (or lose ability to Vance the preorder).

Zelda previews AND CMA final(ish?) decision regarding MS + ABK on the 26th? Gonna be a crazy wednesday.

April 24th Question of the Week
What is your Favorite Star Wars Video Game?

sw-jedi-survivor-key-art-1080x1080_c38222d5.jpeg

This week marks the release of the highly anticipated game Jedi Survivor. Star Wars games have been around almost since the birth of modern video games. Throughout the years there have been some very memorable (and not so memorable) games. The franchise really exploded in popularity when the prequels started to drop. I think there was 51 or so games that released between The Phantom Menace and Attack of the Clones. We have also seen Star Wars characters as guests in other games. Soul Calibur V anyone? So I ask you Fami, what is your favorite Star Wars game?

And may the force be with you.

This week marks the release of the highly anticipated game Jedi Survivor. Star Wars games have been around almost since the birth of modern video games. Throughout the years there have been some very memorable (and not so memorable) games. The franchise really exploded in popularity when the prequels started to drop. I think there was 51 or so games that released between The Phantom Menace and Attack of the Clones. We have also seen Star Wars characters as guests in other games. Soul Calibur V anyone? So I ask you Fami, what is your favorite Star Wars game?

Star_Wars_X-Wing_vs._Tie_Fighter_box_art.jpg

I'm old

Well my favorite Star Wars game is easily Jedi: Fallen Order, so I'm very excited for the sequel this week.

Others that I love are the original Battlefront II and the Podracing game. I just picked up the original Battlefront II on Xbox so I can finally play the DLC I never got to play on the PS2 back in the day.

I love Fallen Order, but gotta say Battlefront II as well ; I have so many great memories with this game, when I was a teen we spent so many nights with friends playing this (and Budokai Tenkaichi)

Omg is that where that meme came from???? I've only ever really seen the Sega version 🤣
The world is a simulation and we're living in dril's mind rent-free

Started Pokémon Legends Arceus last night just to go through the tutorials now that I'm almost done with Metroid Prime Remastered.

It is such a pretty game!
Ahh, you're definitely in for a treat! Yes it is a little rough around the edges, but truthfully I love how engaging it is with the world when technology is scaled back significantly and superstition fills the story. For all the flaws of Scarlet and Violet, this game absolutely rebirthed my love for Pokemon and made me excited and hopeful for what the future holds

Without a hint of irony, I think it has to be the Star Wars Battle Pod arcade game I played at Dave & Busters a few years ago (fake edit: haha this released in 2014 🥲)

SWBattlePod-610.jpg

It's similar to Star Wars: Squadrons, but instead of wearing a VR helmet and getting nauseuous you're sitting in a booth with the physical cockpit controls in front of you and a projector on half a sphere to give you a full view of the action no matter where you look inside and surround sound audio

The best Star Wars game is the original KOTOR, but my favorite is probably Jedi Outcast

I have 3:

KOTR I would say is the best. That game set the stage for Mass Effect and there weren’t that many great third person action RPGs on consoles (especially OG Xbox) in the early 2000s.

This might be cheating but the rouge squadron games. All were amazing and the perfect realization of what you want for a Star Wars ship combat game. I got Squadrons for like $6 on PlayStation so probably should try that out.

The last would be Galactic Battlegrounds. My buddies and I were really into RTS games at that time, and this one was great with all the Star Wars hype happening around the turn of the millennium. Wouldn’t mind an update to this for modern systems.

I feel really lame for saying it, but my favorite is definitely Fallen Order. I happily plowed through it, technical failings and all. I've been meaning to play it since it was patched for new hardware. Maybe one day I'll finish RE4 and start that up.

My sentimental fave is Rogue Squadron 2 for the Gamecube. The graphics blew me away when I saw them for the first time.

Just got myself a digital library card from the local public library, which just theoretically expanded my book backlog by (checks how many they have for "rent"), 40K books.
Overdrive is great. A little irritating that the popular books have limited checkouts despite being digital. But options really skyrocket with it.

the phantom menace on ps1 and jedi power battles.

side note: if you had the may thread this would’ve been perfect for the 4th

i can't believe they put a STAR WAMS in video games.

WHAT is the world c'oming to! ?

I'm still dead btw, but being dead has really opened up my schedule for working on Grögol Bonanza

To me, it has to be either Jedi Knight 2 or Jedi Academy. I still swear by the lightsaber combat by this day.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom