• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

StarTopic Nintendo General Discussion |ST19 April 2023| A tradition unlike any other

Status
Not open for further replies.
With the addition of Sydney Sprint in the Booster Course Pass, Mario Kart 8 is now the first video game to accurately simulate how people drive in Sydney.

Since I saw someone mention Super Mario All Stars, it reminded me of something from my childhood.

When I was 7, I asked for SMAS for Christmas. But I didn't ask my parents; I wrote a letter to Santa on Christmas Eve asking for it, and as far as I can remember I never brought it up prior to that. Now at the time I think I was on my way to Santa disbelief, and the letter was sort of a way to prove it, because no way my parents could run out and get it on Christmas Eve.

Christmas morning rolled around and I did not get the game at my parents house. But then we went to my grandparents house and I was stunned when I got SMAS there. I don't know that it restored my faith in Santa, but it sure was a bit of Christmas magic to me.

I'm at exactly 1000 Yeah!s and am sorry to inform that I'm going to make only bad posts from now on to stay at a nice round number

First Mario game? Super Mario Bros. on the NES. I was so young that I don't even remember it myself, but, according to my parents, the first couple of times I played my foolproof strategy consisted in just pressing right while constantly mashing the jump button. Needless to say, I was lucky to survive the first Goomba.
I'm legit concerned that some people on the internet may actually be upset that George Lopez said that Batman was a fascist a fucking Blue Beetle trailer.
It gets even funnier when you realize that "Batman is a dangerous vigilante/a psychopath/just as bad as the criminals he catches" has been a very common sentiment in-universe in almost every DC continuity for decades. Like, this is hardly new territory, guys.

First Mario game was Super Mario 64 and up to that point the only 3D platformers I’ve played were the three Crash Bandicoot so let me tell you that I was pretty amazed that you could actually move in 3D in a 3D platformer

When Blue Beetle does silly Blue Beetle stuff:

gaijin4koma_peersblog_1200684654.jpg

When Blue Beetle creates a sword and poses with it Toku-style:

gaijin4koma2_peersblog_1200684608.jpg

I started replay Kingdom Hearts for the first time since 2005 and it's been a ride and a half. It's so crazy to think how I've changed since then, it made me think what answers I gave in that little quiz in the beggining back then. They were questions about how I view life, and I bet they changed a lot in these almost 20 years, and I have no way to find out what past me answered at the time. Would be very interesting to see those answers.

The game itself feels a bit more clunky to play then I remember, the 3D movement doesn't feel very good. The camera is also kinda awful (but I think it got tweaks, cause I don't remember there being an auto camera in the original). I also didn't remember the weird Simple and Clean club remix in the opening, maybe that was added in the Final Mix version?

What I can say is that it's incredible how the game can still look beautiful most of the time. Aside from the facial expressions in cutscenes, which can look very weird, the environments look amazing, the artstyle held up so well.

I also didn't remember the weird Simple and Clean club remix in the opening, maybe that was added in the Final Mix version?
The PLANITb remix that plays in the first FMV that’s basically a dream sequence? That’s always been there, it was used in the first reveal IIRC.

My first Mario game was Super Mario World. I was born in 1990, but we got videogames with some years delay in Brazil, so when I was old enough to get into games, the SNES was still the most popular console here by far. So World was the first Mario I played around 1996 or 1997.

To me, World still feels like the base Mario experience, the default one, even if it's not my favorite (it never was, actually, I largely prefered Donkey Kong to Mario back then). It's like it has all the main features a Mario game should have, and other games either have more or less, if that makes sense.

In a lot of ways, I also feel that way about it in a larger sense, like it's the base video game experience. It's clean, smooth, works exactly as it's intended to, and it's essentially what videogames are about. Dare I say I also feel it's a bit bland, reason why at the time it wasn't one of my favorite games, like I said I always prefered DK. I thought of Mario as a the "base" experience, while DK and other games took the basis and got a lot more interesting with it.

I think my impression of Mario would have been very different if SMB3 were my first, but when I played it a little later in SMAS I thought it was some wacky version of Mario, still very fun, maybe lacking a few features, but so different and full of personality to the point of maybe deviating too much from what Mario was to me at that point. I had a vague idea it was a game that preceded World, but I had never heard of a NES (afaik they weren't popular in Brazil, the Master System was the default 8bit console here) and had no idea were that game had come from. Fun times.

Last edited:
Speaking of Mario, I have mentioned manta storm before, but sheesh, Super Mario Sunshine does have so many instances of increasingly frustrating missions. The one where you have to get Yoshi to the island in Delfino Plaza is aaaaaarrrgh.

Chucksters gets some undeserved flak though. They’re fun.

wtf is Blue Beetle? is that like discount The Tick?

or wait you mean like this guy?

9DBLqEM.jpg

cMKcSbI.jpg

Hopefully with Procyon handling this internally we'll get XC3 and XC DE on services outside of Japan this summer since the XC2 and Torna OSTs escaped containment

Edit: eeeee new Mustin album dropped today! Old-school OCRemix fans rejoice! And there’s an adorable origin story for the album in the notes.

Last edited:
Why the fuck is the Doge from the meme showing up in my Twitter feed where normally the Twitter logo would be?
I read a suspected reason and I believe it to be the real reason. Musk is being sued for racketeering for constantly peddling Doge coin to raise the value, then make bank before it plummeted. He doesn’t want his name sullied by this lawsuit, so put that image in there so the search engines will turn up doge as the Twitter handle instead of the bad news stories about the lawsuit. That’s a conspiracy I can get behind.

It is Tuesday. That means two things.

1. New Ted Lasso episode tonight.
2. We are closer to the next Friday than the last Friday.

I read a suspected reason and I believe it to be the real reason. Musk is being sued for racketeering for constantly peddling Doge coin to raise the value, then make bank before it plummeted. He doesn’t want his name sullied by this lawsuit, so put that image in there so the search engines will turn up doge as the Twitter handle instead of the bad news stories about the lawsuit. That’s a conspiracy I can get behind.

Ok so ... someone fire and lock him up? Works for me, too.

Didn’t he do the exact same thing with Tesla and Twitter stock?

That sounds just dumb and petty enough to be true.
Also requires a complete disregard of people's intelligence which is another thing he's known to have.

I almost never spend money on non-game gaming stuff, but I now have officially spent way too much money on things that I won't get until July/August.

But that's okay! I can justify it as some rewards for doing my taxes using my tax return, that's a normal adult thing to do right?

If Xenoblade 3 DLC is out in June, holy shit. I really thought they’d use that as a back half of the year game since it should probably be a physical release.

We really know NOTHING of H2 aside from Pikmin 4 in July huh? Besides a bunch of other DLCs like engage and Splatoon 3.

Really wonder when all this stuff is getting announced, Xeno should be imminent if it’s coming that early

If Xenoblade 3 DLC is out in June, holy shit. I really thought they’d use that as a back half of the year game since it should probably be a physical release.

We really know NOTHING of H2 aside from Pikmin 4 in July huh? Besides a bunch of other DLCs like engage and Splatoon 3.

Really wonder when all this stuff is getting announced, Xeno should be imminent if it’s coming that early
Fire Emblem Engage DLC has just released the last wave today.

It does seem a little weird that (if the XC3 expansion really is out by July) Nintendo isn't spacing any of this out beyond Pikmin 4. The emptiness of the second half of the year is so interesting right now.

I’m trying to pick a name for my second BotW Master Mode horse. First one was Drip. I’m thinking Frog or Loach but it’s a brown horse so idk.

Guess they're trying to mitigate the sting of their first title that got the current gen $10 tax
Companies love these things because a few people will inevitably forget about using one. Easy money and don’t have to give out the product.

I will also add that they get the full amount right away so looks better for their revenue.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom