• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

Reviews The Super Mario Bros. Movie review thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

entut1

Bob-omb
Pronouns
he/him
Some press members (and reliable film insider ViewerAnon) have been given the global review embargo date:

Screen-Shot-2023-03-30-at-10-50-37-AM.png

This thread has been built to gather all press reviews of the movie.

Rotten Tomatoes (57)
Metacritic (46)

Points of comparison:

Best-reviewed film based on a video game is:

Best-reviewed animation film by Illumination:

Worst-reviewed animation film by Illumination:

Time remaining (global review embargo):
5s7lrtwt4x

BTW, seems a review got out early (contains spoilers beyond the first 4 minutes):

Last edited:
What’d GVG give it?
The title was : "A Masterpiece 30 Years in the Making" so I'd let you guess heh.
From what they said:
-They liked the voice acting, Pratt's Mario is jarring at first but they warmed up to it over the course of the film
-They think the movie will change the series forever and can't see the games and the movie stay separate after this movie showcased the impact of fully-realized characters and what a truly connected world can offer to the series

Last edited:
-They think the movie will change the series forever and can't see the games and the movie stay separate after this movie showcased the impact of fully-realized characters and what a truly connected world can offer to the series
Hmm, I’ll believe that when I see it. Maybe in a new Mario RPG. 🤷‍♀️

This movie is gonna be one of those movies that does not have a strong rotten tomatoes score but a strong audience score and honestly, audience score matters more as that is the opinion of ordinary people and that will drive most of the success via word of mouth.

Hmm, I’ll believe that when I see it. Maybe in a new Mario RPG. 🤷‍♀️

Some sort of impact is inevitable, the way the characters are and certain story points, such as the Mario Bros not being from the Mushroom Kingdom is going to get imprinted in many adult and little heads because of this movie.

Then it's for Nintendo to decide how consistent they want to keep the brand, which they have been doing in the past decade.

Edit: just like how the Super Mario Bros. Super Show had a huge impact on Luigi as a character.

such as the Mario Bros not being from the Mushroom Kingdom is going to get imprinted in many adult and little heads because of this movie.

That's already the way the story was told in other TV series and the live action movie. He's been presented as an Italian-American plumber from New York many times.

None of the backstory is relevant to games like Odyssey, Galaxy, the Super Mario Bros series, or any of the others, is it?

That's already the way the story was told in other TV series and the live action movie. He's been presented as an Italian-American plumber from New York many times.

None of the backstory is relevant to games like Odyssey, Galaxy, the Super Mario Bros series, or any of the others, is it?

Neither of those were as big or faithful to the games (especially that live action film). this movie has a lot more overlap with the games.
If Nintendo didn't like that backstory they could have just have him come from Yoshi's Island or something.

It did seem like they were setting up New Donk City to replace Brooklyn as the Mario/Donkey Kong origin city, but yeah that seems walked back now that the real world is back in the mix.

It did seem like they were setting up New Donk City to replace Brooklyn as the Mario/Donkey Kong origin city, but yeah that seems walked back now that the real world is back in the mix.

I wonder if they did that to make it more relatable to the general mass. They're almost interchangeable seeing as Pauline is in both as well.

I wonder if they did that to make it more relatable to the general mass. They're almost interchangeable seeing as Pauline is in both as well.
That and given the heavy inclusion of the Kong clan in the film, it would probably be too confusing to have Brooklyn exist in reference to Donkey Kong. It would've only made sense if DK and all the Kongs were introduced as part of the real world initially but it seemed to have been more of a priority to establish them in context of their own world.

I’ve seen speculation it was put in place before they moved the release ahead a few days.
that was my expectations, but I was talking about the time rather than the date. I was expecting early morning reviews rather than afternoon reviews

weird to have such a late embargo time
It could have been affected one way or another by the moved-up domestic release (international markets are already used to getting earlier releases and hence much closer to embargo) but part of it probably also had to do with them wanting to avoid too many spoilers in reviews. The film is basically critic proof but they likely wanted fans to go in without many surprises and nods given away. I don't know whether some countries are doing midnight screenings but the embargo time will basically be up close to the 5th in European territories.

that was my expectations, but I was talking about the time rather than the date. I was expecting early morning reviews rather than afternoon reviews
I feel like it is this way so reviews are actually few hours before the first regular showing in cinemas in Australia, Europe and co. Seems like they really want to avoid any pre-narratives before the film releases, for the better or the worse.

That and given the heavy inclusion of the Kong clan in the film, it would probably be too confusing to have Brooklyn exist in reference to Donkey Kong. It would've only made sense if DK and all the Kongs were introduced as part of the real world initially but it seemed to have been more of a priority to establish them in context of their own world.

Yeah makes sense, for all intents and purposes, New Donk is New York with a funny reference to the OG Donkey Kong game.

That opening scene still gives me the chills. Hope there's a decent amount of moments in the movie that feel this intense.

Worst-reviewed animation film by Illumination:

Isn't this Hop? 24% / 53%

Isn't this Hop? 24% / 53%

Hop is mostly live action, I assume this just means animated.

I just need this to succeed to see other Nintendo properties in film or TV

Well congrats, you're getting that DK movie, otherwise they wouldn't have him featured so much in the Mario movie and likely would've gotten someone cheaper than Seth Rogen for VA. ;D

I just need this to succeed to see other Nintendo properties in film or TV
It's highly likely (not going to say guaranteed) to be a success based on box office projections and Nintendo will likely still work with Universal and their divisions for future movies and potential TV projects such as DreamWorks and DreamWorks Animation Television.

I won't be surprised if this gets hit kind of hard by critics. But I wouldn't worry. It's a crowd-pleaser and great for Mario fans.

Rotten Tomatoes is just gonna depend on if the large amount of middling impressions from critics skew fresh or rotten in review format. My impression was that a majority of them are on the fence.

I personally think a lot of these will end up leaning positive/fresh, as almost everyone agreed with you that it's a crowd pleaser and great for Mario fans. Kinda hard to not recommend overall with that in mind. But we shall see.

I won't be surprised if this gets hit kind of hard by critics. But I wouldn't worry. It's a crowd-pleaser and great for Mario fans.

Yeah this is the impression I'm getting from early reactions. Definitely looks like it's gonna be a nail biter for everyone doing the avatar bet 😆

Anyways Universal was smart to get reactions from the Nintendo fans out way ahead. Clear that this is gonna be a crowd pleaser for the Mario fans and less so for critics.

Pretty mixed on the professional critic end, enthusiastic from the nerd sphere and Nintendo fans, as I sort of expected. There isn't much plot, but everything else is so damn good.

Jeremy Jahns:

Liked it, would’ve liked more platforming action akin to the games, and more time with the brothers together.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom