• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

Reviews The Super Mario Bros. Movie review thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
aintnoway-aint.gif

Thankfully I have no horse in this race...

Would just like to remind everyone that the last jedi has a 84 and 91 on metacritic and rotten tomatoes. The reviews aren't the be all end all for this film, and from most video game sites this is getting really positive reviews.
The last jedi is good so that makes sense

Would just like to remind everyone that the last jedi has a 84 and 91 on metacritic and rotten tomatoes. The reviews aren't the be all end all for this film, and from most video game sites this is getting really positive reviews.
This is correct though

I'm sure fans will enjoy the hell out of this. But it is too bad that this won't be breaking the "video game movies are bad" curse further than Sonic or Pikachu did.

It is wild how video game adaptations have done so much better in a critic reception sense in the tv show format (Castlevania, Arcane, The Last of Us) than they have movie wise.
The curse has more to do with Box Office tbh. There haven’t been a break out hit. The highest grossing video game movie is Warcraft at 439 million.

Mario will be a monster hit commercially so there’s that.

I mean like I said previously I‘m looking more at sites like letterboxd or even IMDB when looking at scores. While they are less relevant, they give a much better picture what the public think about a movie. Rotten never aligns with what movies I actually think are good.

I think if one enjoys or tolerates Illumination films, I think they will be fine with this one. If someone is not a fan of Illumination though, I can't say that they will walk away liking this film.

It's all about the the audience score. General audience don't read reviews, let alone visit rotten tomatoes. It's all about word of mouth. And I believe the word of mouth of this movie would be extremely positive.

It's all about the the audience score. General audience don't read reviews, let alone visit rotten tomatoes. It's all about word of mouth. And I believe the word of mouth of this movie would be extremely positive.
While that may be true, it doesn't feel that relevant in the review thread

Ouch, after the things I saw and read in the preview thread this really isn't what I expected as an opening, guess movies are held to a different standard then games. I hope it will still go up somewhat, what I had seen looked so solid.

All the more curious I am for the the box office and user reviews...

Last edited:

the last jedi is my fave star wars movie and i grew up in the order of original trilogy -> prequels

There we go.

As it turns out? It's a typical Illumination movie. What a surprise!

Will still be a box office sensation though. Reviews don't matter a single lick for a family movie like this.

The best star wars movie outside of the first two, other than maybe rogue one has a high score, yes, shockingly.

Well ok then I guess more people like the last jedi then I thought lol. My point still stands though, the movie was universally acclaimed by critics but the fan reception was very sour. The opposite could happen here. In fact, most video game movies tend to be that way ( sonic 1 and 2, detective pikachu etc). Like, I too wished it had the quality of toy story, but it will probably be a fun time.

The best star wars movie outside of the first two, other than maybe rogue one has a high score, yes, shockingly.
That’s not really a super high bar.

Also yeah, IDK why some people thought an illumination movie was going to be critically praised - it’s basically the exact opposite of what many traditional critics want in their movies (deep characters, novel plot, strong theming).

I bet Nintendo fans will largely like it though!

Lol oof. Wonder if this is enough to get Nintendo to care about having decent stories

It will make a ton of money so it won't matter. Mario Movie 2 to be just a Family Guy episode of references. Hype.

My 4 year old is super excited about this one and I have to say me too. From the trailers I’ve seen this looks like a entertaining Mario movie with a standard Mario cast and story. I don’t think I care for reviews on this. I already know how this will go and I will love it.

The Last Jedi haters don't bring it up for absolutely no reason challenge (impossible)

Welp, it is what it is. Still want to check it out, see what’s up.

Not looking forward to the discourse.

That’s not really a super high bar.

Also yeah, IDK why some people thought an illumination movie was going to be critically praised - it’s basically the exact opposite of what many traditional critics want in their movies (deep characters, novel plot, strong theming).

I bet Nintendo fans will largely like it though!

Return of the Jedi is underrated still I think, there hasn't been a Star Wars movie as good as that since 1983.

Yes there are Ewoks but that doesn't invalidate the Vader/Luke/Emperor scenes are arguably the best thing in the saga period (yes even peaking higher than Empire Strikes Back's peaks; Empire is the more consistent film but ROTJ peaks higher).

None of the prequels or sequels or spin-offs are as good as ROTJ.

Illumination movies are generally well received, albeit not to the venerated status that you typically see with Pixar films or Disney animation. They are generally in offensive, and several are actually very good, particularly both Sing films. So it feels like something more significant went "wrong" with this movie to push the reviews down so much compared to the norm for the studio. It's seemingly headed to be their worst rated film, outside of Hop, by a significant margin. The alleged lack of story and character development sticks out as a very Miyamoto thing, which makes one wonder if he and Nintendo were a little too invovled. The apparent use of licensed music is disappointing for sure though.

I suspect it's a fun time though, and I look forward to watching it with my daughter. She loves Mario stuff right now, and enjoys playing the games with me even though it's mostly just her watching me right now.

Sounds about what I expected. Looks pretty, sounds pretty, some fun point-at-the-screen references for fans, not much actual substance to the story (which is pretty authentically Mario I guess?)

Think it'll be a good time for me, personally. There was no chance this ended up being a cinematic masterpiece.

Well with last jedi talk and paper mario talk already happening should the mods just close the thread, now?

Not really

The Last Jedi was critically acclaimed, made tons of money, and got high audience ratings

It’s mostly nerds on the internet who think it’s some affront to cinema
For sure, I just never had any deep feelings for the Last Jedi (I only really remember the Yoda scene). I can tell the Mario Movie will be far more memorable to me (with an undeniable amount of personal bias involved).

It certainly won't have a bigger impact on the industry, I have no problem adimitting that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom