• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

StarTopic Nintendo General Discussion |ST19 April 2023| A tradition unlike any other

Status
Not open for further replies.
Allow me to get personal ... how old are you, and do you have to wear glasses for shortsight?

Stuff like this can be an extreme symptom of overstrained eyes.

I'm 32, and I never had to wear glasses, but my eyes were always dry and sensitive to light. I've experienced headaches from staring at a screen too long many times before, but never after just 15 minutes and never accompanied by nausea.

You're probably on point, I think I'll make an appointment to an eye doctor and check if I'm finally in need of glasses. Thank you!

What can be said .... Sony's mad.
Maybe if they had spent more resources building up their internal studios and diversifying their output instead of chaining themselves to specific third party IPs this wouldn't be as big a blow to them.

I'm 32, and I never had to wear glasses, but my eyes were always dry and sensitive to light. I've experienced headaches from staring at a screen too long many times before, but never after just 15 minutes and never accompanied by nausea.

You're probably on point, I think I'll make an appointment to an eye doctor and check if I'm finally in need of glasses. Thank you!

Yeah going to a doc is the best thing to do since i can just speculate as i had days where i got dizzy after a long day working in front of a screen and doing some mobile / handheld stuff in the evenings.

I didn’t realize Sony were in such a precarious position

😢

Oh i see, you arrived at Jimbob Ryan's speech part. ^^

Gosh, reading that document is giving me some serious secondhand embarrassment. Sony's argument boils down to "But you don't understand! Microsoft would get benefits out of this deal! BENEFITS, I TELL YOU!"

Meanwhile, the Microsoft side is probably thinking "Yeah, why do you think we're trying to do it in the first place?"

Gosh, reading that document is giving me some serious secondhand embarrassment. Sony's argument boils down to "But you don't understand! Microsoft would get benefits out of this deal! BENEFITS, I TELL YOU!"

Meanwhile, the Microsoft side is probably thinking "Yeah, why do you think we're trying to do it in the first place?"

Live recording of the MS spokesperson at the CMA meetings:

troy-point.gif

I sometimes really wonder if Sony’s success with games basically boils down to the competition failing hard and Sony just happened to be in the right place at the right time. And the executives have no idea how to replicate the PS1 and PS2 respective lightning in a bottle.

Captain Olimar is one of the smartest and strongest Nintendo characters.

He's an astronaut. You have to be REALLY smart and in REALLY good shape to be an astronaut.

I know Sony's just performing for shareholders at this point but man, if I worked at Insomniac or something and saw Sony constantly banging on about how singularly important Call of Duty is and how they'll fail without it I'd feel pretty bummed. Like fuck Spider-Man 2 I guess.

This avatar betting is making the forum impossible to follow, I don't remember a single username and just identify people by their avatars
Man, I can't stand when people change their avatars often. Couldn't be me!
whistles innocently

Would people even know who i am without my trusty old Stormtrooper avatar?

He might not hit anything, but he sure is recognizable.

Back on ERA, we had a bet on whether Zelda: TotK would show up at the 2020 TGA's. A lot of us wore this for a week.

Ugly-Link-avatar.png

ARGH WHY DID YOU HAVE THAT HORRIBLE THING SAVED ANYWHERE?!

I don't change my avatar except for seasonal festivities because the last time I did both GAF and Era imploded like three months later

If I had a nickel for every time a weird circumstance happened twice...

Back on ERA, we had a bet on whether Zelda: TotK would show up at the 2020 TGA's. A lot of us wore this for a week.

Ugly-Link-avatar.png
OMG I was only lurking at that point but I remember

It became damn well near impossible to follow the forum because of the sheer number of people who had that avatar. It looked like one user who was just constantly replying to themself. 😅

Wait, EA is gonna continue to release their annual football game BEYOND the FIFA contractual regulations? Does that mean we're finally getting a somewhat full-fledged version?

Wait, EA is gonna continue to release their annual football game BEYOND the FIFA contractual regulations? Does that mean we're finally getting a somewhat full-fledged version?

Imagine if EA manages to release a "Legacy Edition" of a totally new game IP.

Imagine if EA manages to release a "Legacy Edition" of a totally new game IP.
Would I be shocked? Not at all, we know who we're talking about there. I just remember Nate was talking about EA potentially getting a full release of FIFA onto the Switch like 1, maybe 2 years ago? This would be a perfect time for a redemption arc, lol.

Reality: EA SPORTS FC Legacy Edition, 50$, July 2023.

From what I understand, the FIFA contractual obligations (if they actually existed) didn't force them to keep releasing the games on all systems, just to try at least once, which is why, for example, the Wii U got only one installment.

For what it is, FIFA on Switch sells pretty well and has surely been very profitable for EA, so it wouldn't surprise me to see it continue under the new name. It sucks that they don't use any of those profits to try to make something that isn't a complete piss-take, though.

From what I understand, the FIFA contractual obligations (if they actually existed) didn't force them to keep releasing the games on all systems, just to try at least once, which is why, for example, the Wii U got only one installment.

For what it is, FIFA on Switch sells pretty well and has surely been very profitable for EA, so it wouldn't surprise me to see it continue under the new name. It sucks that they don't use any of those profits to try to make something that isn't a complete piss-take, though.
That definitely makes sense in retrospect, and makes EA's approach look even more silly than it already does. Imagine all the $$$ they could've racked up in addition to what they usually get.. if they actually tried! I might be a marketing genius.
The amount of leagues they have listed on the website for EA Sports FC is staggering.
Welcome to the world of football, eh. Although there's some missing that I expected that I hoped to see again, like the Japanese 1st division. Separating the UEFA-based tournaments into individual leagues to increase the number of leagues looks funny though.

The amount of leagues they have listed on the website for EA Sports FC is staggering.

EA was going to be just fine without the FIFA branding. They already had 90% of everything else under their umbrella. FIFA once again over played their hand and this time they will lose.

maybe off topic but when is the theme changing back? the thread titles are very difficult to read lol.

EA was going to be just fine without the FIFA branding. They already had 90% of everything else under their umbrella. FIFA once again over played their hand and this time they will lose.
Yeah, they were always going to be fine with or without FIFA branding. EA Sports as a brand is recognizable enough to carry them even amongst the most casual subset of their audience, I'd say.

maybe off topic but when is the theme changing back? the thread titles are very difficult to read lol.
Nothing is off-topic in this thread :) Anyway, you can change the theme at the bottom of the page.
Yeah, they were always going to be fine with or without FIFA branding. EA Sports as a brand is recognizable enough to carry them even amongst the most casual subset of their audience, I'd say.
Yup. All they have to do is market this year's new branding hard and ensure that their core audience remains in the fold. After that, it is smooth sailing for FC.

Nothing is off-topic in this thread :) Anyway, you can change the theme at the bottom of the page.

Yup. All they have to do is market this year's new branding hard and ensure that their core audience remains in the fold. After that, it is smooth sailing for FC.
wow that was easy lol, thank you very much!

EA SPORTS FC for Nintendo Switch will feature the same gameplay features from FIFA 23 Legacy Edition without any new development or significant enhancements

I want to believe EA can recognize an opportunity to make a new first impression with this new series, so I'll keep an open mind that this "unprecedented partnership" can be put behind them.

I don't play sportsball games, but given the respective shitstorms Madden, FIFA and I'm guessing the NHL/NBA annual games have encountered, they could use a shot at redemption

It’s a switch game! Woah that’s a fun surprise!

I’m sorry WHAT

Mario Golf, eat your heart out

Typed up a whole post about this on Install Base. Somehow it’s Sony’s most believable statement about the ABK merger thus far and also still super funny due to how much it’s grasping at straws.

They seriously typed, in their legal document:
Call of Duty gamers are passionate, knowledgeable, and sophisticated. Gamers engage with each title in the franchise immediately after its release, are keenly aware of a game’s price, quality and features, and regularly compare the quality, performance, and features of their favourite games across PlayStation and Xbox

And their sources are chatrooms and forum posts. Forum posts. What in the world.

I’m sorry WHAT

Mario Golf, eat your heart out

Typed up a whole post about this on Install Base. Somehow it’s Sony’s most believable statement about the ABK merger thus far and also still super funny due to how much it’s grasping at straws.

They seriously typed, in their legal document:

And their sources are chatrooms and forum posts. Forum posts. What in the world.
Also it’s $20 https://www.nintendo.com/store/products/birdie-wing-golf-girls-story-switch/

And has gimmick putting minigames!

Looks like Xbox killed retail emulation, and I’m doing so, killed the app that lets me delete the roms I had on there lol. Guess I need to refresh my system.

That definitely makes sense in retrospect, and makes EA's approach look even more silly than it already does. Imagine all the $$$ they could've racked up in addition to what they usually get.. if they actually tried! I might be a marketing genius.
Yeah... a proper FIFA (or EA Sports FC now) game would pull even better numbers while also doing wonders to improve EA's image with the Nintendo-centric crowd.

Unfortunately, that would be a relatively long-term investment and big companies mostly care about the here and now.
It’s a switch game! Woah that’s a fun surprise!

My sense of humor is so utterly broken that I can't see the word "birdie" without thinking about the Teen Titans Go meme. This looks cool, though!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom